Do You Imagine Your Pokemon with Personalities?

CodeCass

Kind of an odd title, but let me elaborate:

I've been playing Pokémon for many, many, years now, and one thing that's always stayed the same since I was a kid is that I can't help but imagine that my Pokémon have personalities. I'm almost 30, and I still find myself daydreaming about my cool battles my Pokémon had in Reborn and in the cannon games. So this inevitably leads to me becoming attached to my mons, and sort of imposing a personality on them.

For example: my (now) Arcanine that I received from the Police Quest in Jasper Ward. I sort of see her has a loner, but with an almost militaristic air about her. This comes from her Nature, (lonely) and the fact that she was part of the Police force. It's fun to imagine the scenario of my MC basically adopting her after her trainer was killed, and now she's with me to seek some sort of retribution, getting stronger in the process and helping to keep my other Pokémon in line. 

I do this type of thing to most of my mons. It helps me connect with the game on a certain level I guess. It also makes it terribly hard to "optimize" my team, because I become attached the my Pokémon, who have basically become characters in their own rights to me. Reborn makes this even easier with all of it's Event Pokémon. Their various scenarios make it easy for me to imagine what sort of story or personality that Pokémon might have. 

What about you guys and gals? Do any of you tend to imagine personalities or some sort of head-cannon for your Pokémon? I'd love to hear some examples! 

Feel free to share your own stories! 

As part of the nuzlocke forums this is something I do on a regular basis

Most people on there do in fact

It's always a challenge to make a unique personality

Some are more distinct than others, but I do my best to write them as best I can

1 hour ago, Elvenlore said:

Always. Sometimes I go into roleplay forums or write stories based on them. Some species I can only have specific genders or natures of, or can't evolve, because of the attachment. It's quite strong.

I completely understand the attachment. I've never tried any sort of roleplay forum before. I tried my hand at writing a short story about my Growlithe on these forums about two weeks ago, but that's been about the extent of me outwardly projecting my head-cannon for my mons, haha. It's really interesting for me to read others' stories though! Here was the story if interested: 

1 minute ago, uberle said:

Some are more distinct than others, but I do my best to write them as best I can

I can see where that's difficult. Magnezone is my favorite Pokémon, but I'll be damned if it's so hard to give it a personality just because of what it is! 

3 minutes ago, CodeCass said:

I can see where that's difficult. Magnezone is my favorite Pokémon, but I'll be damned if it's so hard to give it a personality just because of what it is! 

You'd be surprised how little a mon's species effects the personality given to it

Maybe a hyper Pikachu there and a mute Mime Jr there

But for the most part the majority of pokemon personalities are only slightly determined by their species 

13 minutes ago, CodeCass said:

I completely understand the attachment. I've never tried any sort of roleplay forum before. I tried my hand at writing a short story about my Growlithe on these forums about two weeks ago, but that's been about the extent of me outwardly projecting my head-cannon for my mons, haha. It's really interesting for me to read others' stories though! Here was the story if interested: 

Ohh, interesting. I'll try to remember to read it soon - I'm a bit busy right now with work myself.  definitelynotbreedingshinieswhatareyoutalkingabout 

4 minutes ago, uberle said:

But for the most part the majority of pokemon personalities are only slightly determined by their species 

I completely agree. I just used Magnezone as an example due to the fact that it has very few features that can broadcast it's mood or personality outwardly. It's hard for me to impose too much personality on it simply because it's basically a machine. Not to say it can't have character, it's just harder to imagine; at least for me. 

My god yes...I want to try to write a Fan Fiction with my Reborn...because I'm doing things of my main character too well, but I have to think about it because I do not have much time. Do you think I left many FF aside a few years ago, I would not want to leave this... (the others were connected to Mystery Dungeon, I'm a big fan xD)

its part of the reason why I cannot bring myself to breed mons, usually. youre basically telling a mon that youve been with for so long that theyre just inferior, and that you only need their superior offspring after a certain point.

for that same reason I also like nuzlockes very much.

so yes. very much of my yes.