Pokemon caught in wild vs trained ones from low levels

zelazko

Is it true that in the Reborn and other Pokemon games mons caught at high levels (even evolved) have worse stats than the ones trained from low levels? I dunno if I should go with breeding or caught ones with current in game levels. 

this is true mainly due to EV training. each mon gives an EV value when defeated and when enough of those are gained (4 per stat usually) the stat increases by 1. thus one that you've been grinding up for 30 level will have a lot of EV points in the stats

Yes but not necessarily in a way that's always a bad thing, given that you're willing to put in the time.

Chances are that your pokemon's EVs as you play through the story are less than optimal unless you've specifically grinded them beforehand, which you can't do efficiently until a certain point of the game anyway.

On the other hand a freshly caught high level pokemon while worse off initially has a fresh set of EVs and thus are more easy to get optimal spreads for. Problem is that their movesets are usually lacking or already missed their best moves, especially for stone mons, so you'll have to rely on TMs or move relearners

Of course breeding gives a fresh set of EVs AND better move potential so it's the best option, but requires the most time investment. 

Of course natures and IVs come into play as well.

I would say that catching weak ones is better.

They have higher catch rate (atleast I think, correct me if Im wrong) and are easier to catch overall due to low levels.

You can also obtain all level up attacks, so there is no need to vaste Heart scales on Move relearner.

And yeah, EVs.

Side by side comparison. Shiny primeape is caught in wild non-shiny trained and on vitamins steroids. 

000.jpg

///Edit: anyone wants that shiny primeape I can give it away for anything. Kinda shame shinies are so easy to come by. 

2 hours ago, zelazko said:

Side by side comparison. Shiny primeape is caught in wild non-shiny trained and on vitamins steroids. 

Yep, Pokemon are defined by IVs (right hand numbers, which are out of 31), EVs (left hand numbers, maximum on any given stat is 252), Level, Nature (red is increased stat and blue is decreased stat). You have different results on the pics because of these alterations 😛

Depending on how much time and effort you want to put into it I like breed Pokemon as you can get a wider range of moves and you control what you want it to learn. Some pokemon like Meowth or Trapinch only learn particular moves as a basic Pokemon catching Persian is all fine and dandy but even the move tutoring won't be able to get you payday as it needs to learn it before it evolves. I like breed and low level Pokemon because if your EV training you don't have to worry so much about over levelling your Pokemon as you have 510evs total you can manipulate for your use with any one stat having 252 EVs maximum allowing any 2 stat to be fully maxed with 6 leftover potentially. Pokerus helps with EVs as well it doubles anything earned along with a power item that gives 4x the EVs, vitamins while expensive give 10 each up to 100EVs and become ineffective for that stat after 100EVs, many pokedex websites and apps can give you a better understanding of movesets and stat spread min/Max's at a guestimated amount as they show both min and Max calculating the totals at levels 50/100 they also can tell you how much a specific Pokemon yields like Rattata is 1 speed EV given upon defeat which is good to find out if your training a specific stat