Shin Megami Tensei

CodeCass

Any other SMT fans around these parts? 

We're going on vacation this week and my wife is stealing my copy of Ultra Sun to help pass the 15 hour car ride to Florida. I'm thinking about restarting on my copy of SMT IV. I'm really needing to finish it so I can give SMT IV: Apocalypse a try! Also need to grab up that SMT: Strange Journey Redux! I'm behind the times! On top of that, once I finish platinuming the new God of War and FFX (I shudder at the grind), I'm going to restart and finally finish Nocturne on PS3! 

Any of you other fellow Reborn players also delve into the world of demons and apocalyptic Tokyo? 

5 minutes ago, Angelkitsune said:

Does persona count i mean they are slightly similar and come from the same company(o′┏▽┓`o) 

Of course. Persona is definitely an SMT game. I think P5 dropped the SMT part of the title though, if I remember correctly. Nocturne and P3 were actually my entry-points into the series. I played through P5 last year and adored it! I do tend to like the darker storylines of the mainline SMT games though! However that's just a personal preference. 

24 minutes ago, Angelkitsune said:

Yessss... finally another people that like persona but still persona 3 and 5 not dark enough for you ?d=====( ̄▽ ̄*)b

Don't get me wrong. I loved both P3 and P5. I think I have 200+ hours in P5! haha. It's just that mainline SMT games go....maybe not darker....but more mature-ish? I'm not sure how to explain it. I just enjoy their environments and stories a bit more. I do love the Persona games though! 

• 2 weeks later...

I've played Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Devil Survivor 1 and 2 (and their remakes), Strange Journey (I have yet to play Redux), SMT IV and SMT IV Apocalypse. Loved them all.

I've also played Persona 3 (FES and Portable), Persona 4 (the first one), and Persona Q.

My personal favorites were the Devil Survivor games, mostly because of the tactical battles.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ArgenHyuu said:

I've played Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Devil Survivor 1 and 2 (and their remakes), Strange Journey (I have yet to play Redux), SMT IV and SMT IV Apocalypse. Loved them all.

I've also played Persona 3 (FES and Portable), Persona 4 (the first one), and Persona Q.

My personal favorites were the Devil Survivor games, mostly because of the tactical battles.

I actually just picked up Devil Survivor Overclocked while on vacation. Haven't given it a try yet. I've heard it's quite good! I think to date, I've only played Nocturne, DDS1, Devil Summoner 2, P3 FES, P4, P5, PQ, and SMT IV. 

Just now, CodeCass said:

I actually just picked up Devil Survivor Overclocked while on vacation.

Definitely give it a try!

Spoiler

You may or may not like the voice acting, but the additional demons and story addition is awesome! Too bad there's no DLCs.

• Thanks 1

I've been playing Shin Megami Tensei 4A and Nocturne Hardtype on Hard mode recently. I'm also on the last day of Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker. If you've got the need to talk to someone about the series, feel free. I also stream my playthroughs and talk about my experiences in #gaming-general on the Discord.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, Hect said:

I've been playing Shin Megami Tensei 4A and Nocturne Hardtype on Hard mode recently. I'm also on the last day of Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker. If you've got the need to talk to someone about the series, feel free. I also stream my playthroughs and talk about my experiences in #gaming-general on the Discord.

Awesome! If I can ever get myself to finish up God of War's platinum and Final Fantasy X's, I'm planning on restarting Nocturne and hopefully actually finishing it this time! I love that game, have played it more hours than I'd care to admit, but I'll be damned if I've never seen credits roll after all these years. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a fan and one of few who side with Law. DS1: Overclocked is my favorite SMT side game with 4 being my favorite from the main series. (though I don't like 4: Apocalypse) I've also played most of the games set during and after Persona 4.

• 4 weeks later...

From what I've played of SMT and non-persona spinoffs, they're a lot less linear and let the player choose to operate wherever they want in the moral spectrum, altering alliances and party members along the way. A bit on the edgey side, but not too edgy. in persona, the game is more linear and your focus is less on choosing what moral actions you accomplish than balancing and achieving social links as you all work together to save humanity from their own warped psyches. Getting new monsters/persona is a bigger pain in the rear in SMT than in persona and the smt games are generally a bit more difficult. I personally prefer the Persona series, but I do enjoy a lot of the things they'll delve into in more mainline SMT games.

Recently started a new game plus file for p3p, trying out the female protagonist this time.

Btw, is the strategy to beating the arcana bosses behind the paradigm door to just go through the story with the most OP personas from your compendium from the first go through? Cuz I just beat the first full moon boss and tried to beat the paradigm door version and- 1 it's totally a solo fight since the enemies now ohko your party members 2- you're stuck with only the persona (and perhaps the items) that you had when you cleared it during the story. Do I just summon lvl 90+ Helel and a few others and just steamroll through the story so I have some relevant stats and moves for these fights?

• 2 months later...

I dig Persona - but the only game I've played so far is the new mobile game that has come out. Dx2 or whatever.

I guess that's filthy casual level, but... I can make like Captain America say that I understand some references.

I'm really thinking that after I finish my Dragon Age franchise playthrough I'm going back to *finally* beat SMT Nocturne. I'm really excited to restart the game and *try* to complete it. I'd really like to then move on to Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 for the first time! 

• 1 month later...

So I started up SMT: Devil Survivor - Overclocked last night for the first time. I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm playing the game with headphones (something I don't normally do with the 3DS) and am blown away so far. The OST seems really good at this point, and the voice acting is surprisingly good for an SMT dub. 

All in all, I'm really impressed and glad I pulled the trigger on picking it up.