Underrated pokemon in Reborn?

Not all pokemon are created equal. Some are objectively speaking better than others as a friend for your journey, and some frankly just plain stink. We're here to show respect to pokemon who while not considered Reborn's finest, are ones you feel deserve more credit than they're usually given and gave you a good experience.

For me I nominate Oricorio.

g9Q4mNX.jpg

At first glance Ori seems like a gimmicky novelty mon. Now I already found appreciation for Ori back in the alola games where it carried me all the way until the E4 despite being an earlymon but in Reborn I was pleasantly surprised to still find it pretty useful. While it is frail, it's fairly quick and with a 98 special attack an EV trained one can score some respectable damage.   Once it gets Rev-dance(and you can catch one that's only a few levels from learning one about mid-game) it can effectively serve as 4 different types(provided you hit the flower shop)  in offense and defense which can help immensely  if you find yourself lacking in a needed type for an upcoming fight or so.  Also monotype runners can probably appreciate this too. as Oricorio can kind of cheat it's way into 5 different type runs lol. Dancer is also a really cool ability and completely shuts bennet down(it is seriously his worst enemy), as well as providing some great synergy in doubles with another quiver dancer.  Also, Rev-dance has an amazing effect of granting a special attack+ speed buff on the cirus field, which can make Ori into a glass cannon in those fights, provided you can pull off a Rev dance. Just be careful of Hawlucha, because it WILL outspeed you and likely OHKO you if you aren't pom pom.

Also Oricorio is a conceptually cool pokemon in general. 

Delphox. My first starter in Reborn and I have gained a ton of respect for it. back when the rivals used monotype teams it was strong against all 3 of them. it's typing is pretty strong for both offense and defense, it's pretty damn fast with good special attack and Mystical Fire is a nice substitute until you get Flamethrower

• Like 1

simipour_s_hair_band_by_lilacerise-d7bosj8.jpg

This girlie saved my arse, heart and soul in countless battles in Reborn on my first run. You don't get to underestimate the beauty that is Simipour. The best of the three elemental monkeys,

it was a very good Water type for my team. Learning early moves likes Taunt, Scald and Acrobatics it became my ace in almost every gym battle.

Underrated and underestimated it may be, it's a beast. Plus she's cute.

Ribombee is one of the most underrated pokemon in Reborn! My pal @Specific can confirm it from 1st hand by beaing even Titania with it!

Other underrated pokemon is Magcargo which can single handedly sweep all mid-game leaders from Shelly to Noel with ease

My vote has to be for Persian with Technician. Ever since it's evolution, mine has done a 180 begun to wreck everything. It's been out-speeding even the gym leaders' Pokémon more often than not, and with Fake Out, Bite, and Power Gem it's been able to do some serious damage so far. 

Mismagius is a very solid mon to build a team around. It gets a lot of different egg moves from the event. Perish Song can be useful for cheese as we all know, Destiny Bond for much the same reason, but Nasty Plot really allows Mismagius to become a pretty nasty sweeper once set up. Solid base stats mixed with a versatile movepool mean this mon can fill a whole lot of roles in a team, from Will-o-wisp support sets to Nasty Plot/Calm Mind sweeper. Or just 4 attacks. Mismagius may be overshadowed by a few other ghost types in game, but it's never let me down. 

Definitely Arbok, our almighty Snake God that is available right after you get your starter. I put in my team because I thought that Glare and Acid Spray might have some use for a badge or two, and boy was I wrong. This thing carried me incredibly far, Glared at so many threats, Hazed stat boosts away, Intimidated Opponents and Coiled itself to victory so many times that I probably have to call it the second or third most useful Pokemon in my entire team. Bless Arbok 🐍

On Delphox: I used it on my psychic/ice dual run and I was very impressed with it, it completely turned around my opinion on it. Delphox was even able to wreck shade despite the type disadvantage with mist support from swinub as mystical fire gets a buff on the misty field. I also like it for a being a fire type that play support as well, it's more versatile than the typical fire starters.

On Persian: yeah, Persian is no slouch and technician makes it very useful. That said I ended up benching mine around apophyll  I feel like had I EV trained it it would've stayed longer but considering it was the second pokemon I caught it definitely proved useful in its short career. I

On simipour: finally some respect for this poor thing. I can't say I ever used it in Reborn but it naturally learns scald AND acrobatics, with decent speed and offensive stats,, along with a good type.  Not just underrated, but very underappreciated. Also it's a Kogal which is kind of cool.

on arbok: the lord of debuffs, this guy can downsize big threats and make them much more manageable for your team.  I used him in a previous playthrough and kept him all the way until Charlotte.

I'd actually like to throw a mention for another vastly underappreciated mon, Grumpig.

Spr_5b_326.png

Far from the best psychic type but my current playthrough Grumpig has definitely earned her keep(just beat Ciel). Spoink is actually not too bad  in itself early on(it's one of the better early game psychics)  but Grumpig's solid special bulk and thick fat makes it excellent for setting up trick rooms/rain/sun. Power gem adds a nice option against fire/ice/bug/flying types. I only wish it had a better recovery move than rest  but so long as you keep Grumpig to its role it can be surprisingly useful whole  game.

The Pokémon I used came out thanks to Wonder Trade, which I wanted to try for the first few times. It was a huge risk to take it forward because the Ice Stone was too far ahead of the game, but it left me with satisfactions that I was about to cry...

4e720002e83fcc54bc0a.jpg

So beautiful, charming, fantastic and also strong, Alolan Vulpix was my key to the team, who faced extreme situations in the gym alone, I never imagined that he had talent, and since I got the Ice Stone, with Ninetales , almost everything changed, Nasty Plot, an amazing speed and excellent killer. I have always brought it from the small Vulpix to the great Ninetales that is still today!

Nickname: Lunanova

Alolan Marowak, seriously, that thing is a nuke with Thick Club (sadly needs support to be useful)

It has a extremly good coverage with shadow bone,flare blitz and bonemerang, it even doesn't need a 4th slot, just put a HM

That monster sweeped at least 10 important characters in my Trick Room team, its along with Porygon-2 the "Trick Room Starter Pack"

But also isn't too bulky in the special side,has many weakness to common types and without Trick Room/Sticky Web Support it almost useless too many times

If you need a Wallbreaker for Trick Room or if you team has Sticky Web, JUST CATCH ONE

tumblr_oj68xmWnMr1slyotno1_500.jpg.7bc8aaf4d0ca651dbfa803b1d60e71a0.jpg

Frosslass, I will never thx enought a guy who sent me a max ivs female level 1 Snorunt by wonder trade (and the dawn stone too, so it was my lucky day lol). When I got her, i had only 3 badges, and i wasn't sure if train her or not, but my love for ghost types choosed for me, and I don't regret that choice. She helped me a lot, from the Shade's gym to the Fiore mansion defence againts Team meteor, where her blizzard, dealt huge damages (thx alola ninetales for the hail :) ), and I'm sure in future episodes tag battles she will still help me a lot.

frosslass.jpg.74a6587c287685a0a958dcc13ea22c1e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really thankful that we've got early access to Numel. It really helps me a lot back then with Florinia and Corey. I swept Cal team with ease too.

Also, Seaking is the best early physical water pokemon! It have early access to waterfall and with megahorn can help a lot on your journey. (And thanks to this fish too I can beat PULSE Swalot)

Trubbish/Garbodor

Early pokemon with access to Acid Spray, Stockpile and Toxic Spikes. Tank hits and solo gyms, debuff for partners or put opposing pokemon on a timer. I typically ran it in my runs from the start to Shelly, once or twice to Kiki. Does not disappoint. Also so cute!

Meowstic M too but that might be decently rated

Victreebel under sun,  magcargo,  shuckle,  arbok, ariados, linoone, pachirisu, seaking, carbink, castform, dustox, cherrim  are all unexpectedly good in their own right, bending battles to their own shape, or outright sweeping,  and im speaking from personal experience here.  

I know that there are classic mentions of  kricketune, trubbih and others  but i am sticking to the ones i personally used

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been around much, or too long for that matter. From where i'm standing, though. Rhyperior looks waaaaaay underused for what he brings to the table. Wide coverage movepool, access to EdgeQuake and capable of firing off one of the most potent attacks in the game in Rock Wrecker. Strap a hard stone on the boy and let the good times roll.