Pokemon reborn story, The Girl More Pokemon than Human

Drakka

Hello everybody! I just joined this community and I like to write stories, so I decided to make my run a story of my character, who is called Kaida. Forgive me, I may change certain events or battles to make it more interesting, but all the Pokemon used will be Pokemon I actually used! Enjoy!

Chapter 1: Born of flame

Spoiler

Doom and decay. The representation of the danger of human folly. I’ve heard everything about the region of Reborn. Of how I’m more likely to die in some alleyway than get any sort of fame and fortune. And yet I’m coming to this death trap of a region. Why? I think it’s a…challenge, or at least an escape. The Pokemon here were apparently special, strong, and survivors, so forgive me for wanting to make my name here.

The landscape was about as grim as I thought it’d be, but I was somehow still surprised as the land passed me by. I didn’t want to look straight at the woman in front of me, it felt like a challenge to look the Reborn league champion in the face, even if she was here to help me. “Um, so what happened here?” I mumbled into my hand, not even sure she could see my face behind by hair, which was working wonders as a dark barricade at the moment. “The land?” The champion's…Ame's voice took a drop, and I couldn’t help but to peer over to make sure that I hadn’t raised an odd question, “There was a disaster, it nearly made this region uninhabitable, but like everything else, it’s recovering.” She smiled brightly at me, and I imitated the baring of teeth, already knowing my own smile looked nowhere near as friendly, but she didn’t mention it. Thank Arcues. “And lo and behold, trainers come from all walks of life just to challenge Reborn!” 
I couldn’t exactly deny that, I had gotten on this horribly smelly train to get into the veritable dead man’s land that was Reborn, and I doubted anybody else here had a better excuse than a challenge or escape. Ame reached out her hand, and I instinctively wrenched back, “Could I see your card?” Oh. Right. This wasn’t a fight. Not eager to make this awkward, I handed over the train card, which I felt was just as smelly as this train. There I was, blank faced as the photographer yanked me around until I looked presentable. Still, one of my eyes wasn’t even visible through my hair, and my darkened skin made me look like I might just vanish in a shadow. I couldn’t help but to smile at it, at least it looked like me! Ame studied the card as if there were some hidden secret within before simply stating, “So you’re Kaida? Good name.” I nodded, still avoiding her eyes. It was thanks to this that I noticed something I'm sure I would have missed otherwise. 

A white-furred beast stood upon a rocky outcrop, black eyes and horn standing out on its pure body. Absol. A being of disaster, I thought that they’d be running for the hills, like all Pokemon, but here it was. Beautiful. Suddenly, a crack of laughter shook my shoulders, and I slammed my hand to my lips before Ame could notice. I was terrified of making her angry, but that was too hilarious! Of course an Absol was here! The whole region was a fucking disaster! One of my eyes flicked over to Ame, an “Sorry.” already leaking from my lips, but Ame wasn’t looking at me, bouncing her legs in what looked like anticipation. “Shouldn't we be decelerating by now?” She asked, and I could pick up a hint of fear in her voice. All around us, people were starting to clutch their seats or Pokemon, and the blood started to drain from my face as I answered this predicament the only way I knew how. “Hey!” I snarled, and an attendant startled at my fury, “What the hell is the driver doing!?” The man tried to give a placating gestures, which somehow pissed me off more, and started to say, “This is a problem but I assure you, the train will surv-“ I puffed out a grunt and turned away, not afraid of looking at Ame anymore, “What do we do? We’re gonna crash at this rate! Miss? Ame!” She wasn’t looking at me, her eyes dead set on the air above me, and even though we were probably in the worst danger ever, I looked up. A mass of black shadows were swirling above my head, and I caught sight of red eyes in the thing a second before Ame screamed, “Jump!” and seized my arm.

For terrifying moments, I was tumbling through the air, crackling glass all around me, and I was gone.

--

“…Da!...Kaida!” I snapped up, hauling breath into my lungs as if I might die otherwise, and instantly regretting it as my head burst into a flurry of colors. “Thank goodness, you’re ok!” I bit back on the words I meant to say, namely that I felt like punching someone until they felt the same pain as me, but I relented. “M-more or less.” I croaked, frowning as my head came away the slightest bit bloody, that didn’t look good. “What happened?” I asked, already starting to turn my head, and getting my answer.
I was laid out beside the train station, which explained the pain in my back, and the sky was black. For once I think it was really just a lot of smoke, and not just the Reborn region. The train was blown up, no way just a crash could demolish it in such a way, blackened and dark smoke rolling out the windows. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I noted how arms, human arms were hanging lifeless, or how I could see something with fur burning up with the rest of the train, but that was all overridden by the sheer nausea inching up my throat. “A bomb.” Ame stated grimly, “This was an attack.”

Just when I thought that I’d be sick, a sickly sweet cheer just invaded the air, and suddenly my nausea was forgotten, and I whipped my head around to snarl at the bastard that thought this was exciting, then promptly lost my confidence in my own anger as some…cheerleader?...Did She have green hair?...pranced forward.

“Wow! This was a really good boom!” She stated childishly, and my jaws started to drop. Yet Ame didn’t react in the least, fixing the cheerleader with a glance, “Was this your doing, Julia?” Amazingly, the cheerleader didn’t exactly balk at the suggestion, which nearly sent my stomach rebelling again, and just said, “Aww! Who do you take me for? If it were my boom it be much bigger!” My head was already starting to spin when she placed her hands on her hips and frowned so deeply it almost looked like a caricature of one, “But who did this!?” She asked to no one in particular, “Nobody gets to boom things unless it’s me!” If there was one good thing about this conversation, it was taking my mind off of the horrible sight…and smell right next to me, and my voice finally came back to me, “Who the hell are you?” I could feel my voice wavering, still not completely recovered, but at least I didn’t sound like I was going to cry. The cheerleader, well, Julia looked at me as if she saw me for the first time, and I started to regret my question as her mouth opened up, and then Ame butted in. Thank goodness.
“This is Julia, the electric-type gym leader of Reborn.” And Julia waved so happily I couldn’t help but raise my hand in turn, “And Julia, this is Kaida, she’s a trainer who came to Reborn today.” Suddenly, I was on my feet, eyes wide as she shook my hand viciously, “Hi, hi! Are you gonna challenge the League? Well? Are ya, are ya, are ya?” Somehow, I managed to squeak out a “Yes.” And she cheered, and for a moment I feared she would actually hug me before Ame saved me again. “I’m going to report this attack. Julia, take Kaida to the Grand Hall, I have to get going.” And she was gone, leaving me with this freak of nature that should not exist in the Reborn region, which I heard was full of grim, dark people, not cheerleaders…and she was already looking at me, eyes sparkling like a Houndour puppy, and I cautiously released a toothless smile, “Guess we should get going, huh?” I mumbled around my teeth, completely expecting the pull on my arm as she started walking me down the pathway. At least like this, I could see the sights. Not that there was much to see.

The water was near black, the city was grey, the Pokemon looked bleak, and the humans even bleaker. I bit my lips, and shuffled behind Julia even faster, trying not to heave as I passed scores of grief-stricken mothers, and fathers and siblings and…to Julia's credit, she didn’t say a word once I squeezed my eyes shut and dutifully followed by the pull on my arm. Maybe she understood this place better than I, she did live here after all…but. All that fire, burning and feeding on corpses…
Finally, we stopped before a giant building, and I finally started to relax a little, though I doubted I would ever eat again. “Here we are!” Julia's gestured to the grandeur of the Grand Hall, “Your gonna get your Pokemon here, right, right!? And then you’ll come and fight, right? Yeah! It’s a promise, see you soon!” I didn’t get a single chance to get a word in edgewise, flinched back as she gave me a hug that was suffocating, then skipped off, leaving me by my lonesome. Well, nothing to do except get my Pokemon, and then maybe go throw up in the bathroom.
The task settled in my mind, and I started forward, expecting to get in without any interruptions. ‘Course I was wrong. Another girl stood at the entrance, and tilted her head at me, “Hello. Are you a trainer as well?” I nodded rapidly, distinctly aware my face was nearly bloodless, and tried to barrel on through, I still felt like I’d be sick, and she joined beside me. That was fine, I didn’t really mind, and kept talking. “You’re Kaida, right?” My widened eyes must have given me away, as she nodded firmly, “I’m Victoria, I was supposed to help you register here, then I heard there was an attack, so I came as fast as I could! Are you ok?” I shrugged before repeating my usual reply, “More or less, don’t worry.” As we entered, I couldn’t help but glance at her, she had hair like me, but looked slightly different, like the black training clothing and lighter skin. Not like me but so similar.
The inside was about as bustling as I expected, and I hastily rubbed my face until the color was back and put myself in a slight slouch, no use showing weakness around other trainers. We passed a Pokecenter, a shop, and a group watching some Gardavior on the TV before I spotted a desk with attendants. Ame was already inside the desk, and a sliver of my teeth showed through my lips before I wrestled it back down. “Hey…is everything all right?” I asked, more than a little afraid some mad bomber was on the loose or something. Ame's mouth twitched upward in a sort of smirk, and my shoulders dropped a little bit more in relaxation as she stated, “The culprit of the attack have already been captured, we just need to figure out if he has any friends!” Victoria visibly relaxed, she must have really been worried, and Ame continued, “Enough about that I suppose, you’re here to be registered! Luckily for you, I’ve already completed the application!” So that was why she asked for my train card. Born in Kanto, in some orphanage with gaggles of fire-types warming the air. I just hoped my birthday, or lack thereof, didn’t cause too much trouble. “All we need to do now is select your starter, who’s going first?”

I was already going to select myself, I just met Victoria, and I always wanted to go first in these situations. But she surprised me, stepping back and saying, “Let Kaida go first, don’t worry, I already know what I’m going to choose. Who’d be enough of a jerk to choose a starter against yours?” I actually knew a lot of people who would do that, but not my tongue. There was an honest gleam in Victoria's eyes that I was slow to distrust…I must be losing my touch.

And Ame let me in, rather quiet as I pondered my decision up the staircase. Pokeballs laid in wait, their names and genders etched onto the metal. I flat out ignored the water-types and grass-types. I could never stand having a starter not of flame. Charmander. Now my teeth showed when I smiled, and I took the Pokeball, beaming at Ame, “I think I’m going to call him, Drake.”

Edited by Drakka

Chapter 2: Fire Dragon

Spoiler

Victoria was waiting in a manner that suggested she was nearly tired of waiting by the time I came back down, I couldn’t blame her, it was her first Pokemon ever. Naturally, she perked up once I returned, clutching a Pokeball near my chest. “Come on up, Victoria, it’s your turn.” Ame called, and I had to dodge out of the way as Victoria rushed by, waving happily to me before she vanished. Now I alone, in this horribly unfamiliar place. Oh Arcues. So of course I propped my head up on my hand and just stared at my new partner, it was better than looking at everybody around me. Well, no. I regretted that decision the moment somebody drawled, “Hey, you’re cute.”

Immediately, I went on the defensive and held Drake's Pokeball closer than ever, whirling around to face whoever had just walked up to me. The worst part is, I thought Julia looked weird, and she was, this person at least looked like they belonged in Reborn. Still, it took me more than a few seconds to register them…a guy, with long nails, and make-up? I barely wore make-up! “What'd you say, pretty boy?” I tried not to put too much menace into my voice, this baffling guy probably wasn’t too dangerous, even if my eyes burned at the overuse of purple. While I was growling, something happened, something I’d been trying to keep down since the train crash, bubbling up, not from my stomach, but brain. My words ended in a hiss. Both me and the pretty boy flinched back slightly, but I managed to keep my eyes level until he smiled in a flirty manner and quipped, “Ooh, you’re fierce too! I think I like that.” I was officially lost, most of the time when someone said that, they didn’t mean it. But this guy? I had a feeling he meant it from the bottom of his heart. Freaky…

Either way, pretty boy settled beside me, and I scooted away a bit. It was a natural thing, nobody could get close enough to touch me, not like this, and especially not somebody I barely knew. He didn’t seem to mind anyway. “Sooo, have you seen Ame ooor-“ I spoke curtly in reply, “Yup. Helping a trainer with her starter.” I didn’t say Victoria's name for some reason, I guess it wasn’t my business to give out somebody’s name for them. Look at me, I might be learning to be a decent human being! Pretty boy right next to me never stopped moving, whether it was glancing at his nails, bouncing on his heels or whatever, it didn’t surprise me that he didn’t seem to have the patience for waiting in silence. “Guess it’s just you and me for a while, huh?” Well, it was me and what looked like twenty people in the Grand Hall, but sure. I held Drake’s Pokeball a little bit tighter as my new acquaintance looked at it and smiled, “And look at that, you already got a Pokeball!” Oh no, what was he going to do? “Maybe we could have a little one on one action, get to know each other through a battle, what do you say?” I definitely didn’t like the way he phrased that, but a battle? The corners of my lips twitched, and the pretty boy beamed at my brief drop in defense. “Ya know what? Sure, I gotta see what Drake can do anyhow!” 

My first battle, hope I won’t screw it up somehow. Two Pokeballs cracked open in flashes of light, and when my eyes adjusted, a Charmander was in front of me, tilting his head quizzically. On the other side, a purple, spiky Nidoran shook out his ears and snorted. “All right little guy!” The guy barked encouragement, “Show them your spirit, yeah?” The Nidoran narrowed his eyes and started hopping from side-to-side, like some experienced boxer. Shit. I didn’t even think about the fact his Pokemon might actually know how to fight, unlike my new starter here. “Drake!” His head perked up, “You’re Drake, Charmander! Got it? And there’s your fight! Go get ‘em!” The fiery lizard blinked once, then turned to the Nidoran and slouched his body until his arms nearly touched the ground. All the while, my heart pounded in my ears. I was going to hurt Drake, I didn’t know how he fought, how to help him, or even if he knew how! And I was going to be humiliated because I put him in a fight I should have refused!

Drake snarled…and my worries started to evaporate. Then it came back as pretty boy ordered a “Tackle!” I panicked, and blabbed out, “You get him too!” Thankfully, the little Charmander seemed to understand and leapt forward as the Nidoran spun gracefully on its heels and charged. 

Crack!

The Pokemon collided between us, Drake yelped when the Nidoran's horn bashed into his flank, and I was preparing for him to break away. He didn’t, and actually pushed closer to the Nidoran and dug his claws into its flank, drawing a squeal from his opponent. “Again! Again, don’t let him get away!” I yelled, dancing around on my side of the battle, nearly wanting to join in myself. So Drake was a very capable of attack creature, though he didn’t even try to dodge that attack, I'd have to train him out of that later. Another Scratch, glancing off the spikes on the Nidoran's back, not too much damage, but Drake refused to let the Nidoran get any distance as he chased it across the battlefield of our feet. “Come on~” My opponent called, “You don’t belong on the bottom of this whole thing, rise up a little.” As if this was some kind of code, which it could have been for all I know, the Nidoran bucked his head up and Tackled Drake without moving, sending him sliding away. 

He didn’t look like he was going to get up in time, at least until I roared out, “That took you down!? Get the hell up, you’re way better than that! Scratch!” Moments before impact, Drake whirled around and his claws flashed. With a Scratch, the Nidoran swerved off course, scarlet dripping down its head before it tripped on its feet and hit the ground. It didn’t get up, and pretty boy clapped as he observed, “Cute and talented, aren’t you?” Now, normally I would tell him to lay off with that, but today seemed special, “Yeah I am! What else is new?” I owned it. Something crawled up my leg and back ridiculously quickly, and I found Drake on my shoulder, mouth parted in a reptilian grin, “Awesome. You’re awesome Drake.” The Nidoran was currently being inspected by its trainer, who cooed softly when it hung its head in shame. It seemed fine, it would have been really bad if Drake hit it in its eye or something.

For once, pretty boy was quiet but beckoned me as he returned the Nidoran and…pranced to another part of the Grand Hall. Ok. I glanced at where Victoria and Ame had disappeared to, and hastily followed my former opponent. I could always run if something bad happened. He was taking me to a Pokecenter, ok, that was courteous, I suppose. Come to think of it, a bruise was already forming on Drake’s flanks, he could use a heal. As Drake healed, I never ever did figure out how they heal Pokemon in a manner of seconds, I couldn’t use him as a shield anymore, and took the first move. “You know why I’m here, to register, what’re you doing here, pretty boy?” It was preferable that he talk a whole bunch about himself, before he started asking about me too much. He didn’t disappoint, “Oh, you know, this and that, that and this. I’m just here to do the journey, well, start it over.” Before I could raise a question to that, he kept talking, “But hey! While I’m starting over we could-“ Really, thank Arcues that Ame showed up at that moment, “Oh? What are you doing here Cain?” At least I now knew his name, didn’t help me a damned little in understanding him though. And how did Ame know him in the first place? “I’m just here to get registered to start my journey, er, start over.” And there it was again, his Pokemon did look a little more experienced than mine, and I started to raise my hand in question, “Hey, um, who is this?” Victoria entered the scene and blinked at me, “Oh! You already met Cain? What were you doing?” I snorted and answered, “We fought, I won.” And found that Cain answered at the very same time with a perky, “We were just having a little bit of fun.” My resulting glare only made him smile innocently and raise his hands in mock defense, “What? Just kidding, just kidding, you’re right!” Victoria looked between us two with a questioning look, and I had a feeling that I probably lost some respect right here and now. “Alright, come on Cain.” Ame sighed and started walking away, whereupon Cain followed with a predictably questionable, “Yes master.” At least he was predictable, he didn’t seem the type to lie about what he was going to do. Did this mean any trust though? No.

“So, did you battle with Cain or something else?” The worst part is, Victoria’s question sounded completely genuine, and I just shook my head, “Don’t listen to him, we just battled. Drake…um, the Charmander, won.” A smirk started to twist my face, though Victoria seemed to interpret it as a smile, “Oh! That’s what you did, sorry!” She started to take out a Pokeball, “Aw, that’s too bad, I really wanted to battle you first. Could we do so?” Another battle? Perfect, I needed all the information on how Drake fought before we found ourselves in a dangerous situation. “I don’t mind, will the people mind?” Victoria glanced at those lounging on the couch nearby, who certainly seemed to hear about the upcoming battle, but didn’t make to move away, “They don’t seem to mind to me, we'll be careful.” 
Once again Drake was released, this time already in the slouched stance I was coming to realize was his battle stance. On Victoria’s side, a kitten yawned and blinked sleep out of its eyes, a Litten. “Scratch!” We both called at the same time, and the two sprung into action. I found that the starters of other regions were clumsy and childish on their first fights, clearly meant to be more companions than anything else. These were not those starters. The fighting was quick, and deadly serious. Neither Drake nor the feline even tried to dodge each other, streaks of red decorating his chest and shoulders, and his own claws gouging the feline's flanks. Quite suddenly, they broke away. The air reeked of heat radiating off the fire-types bodies, and the Litten hissed viciously to the reptilian Charmander. It was clear that the next attacks would decide the match. I figured there was no point in strategy with my limited options, so I just pointed and barked out, “Finish it!” And Drake let out the cutest version of a roar he could manage before he pounced. The Litten tried to roll to the side, all four paws ready to tear his head to shreds the moment he got into range, and for the first time I saw Drake really think about his next move. Instead of using his arms, he whipped his tail forward and came down onto the Litten with his back claws, his full weight crashing down on his opponent. It was still moving under the fire lizard, but Victoria must have seen something in its eyes, as she suddenly called out, “Its over. You won!” Immediately, Drake jumped off his beaten opponent. He turned to me, straightened out, and took the most prideful walk towards me. “I don’t know what to say, he’s a natural fighter, isn’t he?” I remembered how the Litten had gotten ready to shred Drake, and shrugged, “Yours too, you would have won if Drake didn’t think fast.” She grinned, and I felt like slapping myself as I grinned back, your Pokemon just fought, you should be ready to fight her again! I had to ignore that instinct, this wasn’t the orphanage, she barely knew me. 

Once again, Drake hadn’t hurt his opponent too severely, the Litten just meowed pitifully when Victoria picked it up, but still had the strength to purr once she started petting it. She pumped her fist determinedly at me, and spoke confidently, enough to almost make me lean back from it, “You won today, but I’m not going to stay behind you all the way, got it?” She then faltered, “But I gotta go and do some paperwork first, I’ll see you around!” I waved a little blearingly, “Bye-bye.” Now it was just me and Drake, who had reestablished his rightful place on my shoulder. The entrance to the Grand Hall was right there. “Well, let’s go Drake.”

Kinda a recruitment chapter! I'll speed it up past this point, just wanted to establish the Pokemon I used!

Chapter 3: Spread

Spoiler

I caught my first Pokemon within seconds. It had jumped onto my back when I stepped on the grass, Drake had batted it away with a hiss, and I had thrown a Pokeball on instinct. Now I was staring at the captured Pokemon for an inordinate amount of time until Drake suddenly lost his patience and flicked his claws forward, releasing the thing. A green spider rubbed its face as it was brought into the world, and looked up to me without a word. “U-Um. Hehe, I’m your trainer now, got it …um…we'll name you later?” The spider stared into my eyes longer than ever, then skittered to my side, halted, and waited for my next move. At least it was obedient, and I started forward, occasionally glancing at my new Pokemon to make sure it was following. It was, and we climbed up the stairs without any trouble.

Pokemon just accepted ownership of their lives, it was almost cruel, and I frowned at the Spinarak. I had to take care of him now, no if and's or buts. He was mine, and I had a duty to protect him. Also, speaking of Pokemon and humans having an odd give and take relationship, I was starting to hear a commotion on one corner of the bridge, and started to bristle when I saw what was happening.

A little blue and white squirrel Pokemon was being pushed around by brutal feet and grasping hands of three people, I could hear their threats from here. They were going to throw the poor thing into the horrible water. The Spinarak. sped up behind my heels, and Drake clung to me as we stomped up to the bullying group. “Don’t you know that Pokemon are rare here, bastards?” I said in my best drawl, and they whirled to look at me. Instead of being intimidated like most people who saw me like this were, they snorted and answered back, “Just keep walkin' yea?” One growled, “You didn' see anything, we didn' hear ya, got it?” My nose wrinkled as I stifled another hiss, “Nah, I got a better idea, Drake, get ‘em!” 

Drake must have tired to see a fellow Pokemon being beat and threatened, as he sprung from my shoulder like a rocket, growling viciously as he collided with the front most bully, who yelped as Drake’s claws tore a hole in his shirt before scrambling away. “Damn! I just got this shirt you bitch!” He snarled, and his buddy sprang to support him. I blinked as they released two Zigzagoon into the fray. The two Pokemon were scruffy and thin, but this just seemed to make them even more vicious when they sprang forward and rammed into Drake. He shrieked in fury and the heat started to distort around his jaws a moment before one Zigzagoon yelped and tumbled away as a spray of Ember burnt its flank. Suddenly, the second, supposedly fine Zigzagoon screamed and darted away as well. Purple pinpricks were stuck in its flesh, poisoning the already weaker Pokemon. The nameless Spinarak hissed and joined Drake’s side, having decided that he could stand no longer by, and I glared at the bullying group before lunging forward and seizing the torn shirt one as Drake pounced and scratched his chosen enemy and my Spinarak chased the poisoned one. My grip was an iron grip, and I guess I looked scary enough to listen to, as neither of his friends tried to help him. “Get out of the way, let the Pachirisu go, or I’m gonna let my Charmander do more than tear up your shirt.” Right on cue, another scream from the Zigzagoon as Drake managed to get it down and breathe flames right onto its back, and it stopped moving. The other had collapsed from the poisonous barbs coating its haunches and tail. These guys were defenseless to whatever I threw at them.
More than a little part of me wanted to fling this guy into the water himself, or have Drake set him on fire. In fact, it was almost agonizingly tempting, and my grip tightened until the boy yelped. I harshly pushed him away with a snarl before those thoughts could turn into reality, then beckoned the Pachirisu. “Are you coming?” I asked curiously, and the electric Pokemon gasped, chirped happily, and leapt at me. In a matter of moments, I found myself cradling a filthy but happy Pachirisu, and hastily tapped it with a Pokeball after announcing, “You’re Swing now.” And it was gone. Given its injuries, I didn’t let it back out, figuring the poor thing needed to rest. Instead, I turned to my two Pokemon. “Heh, great as usual Drake.” I commented, and reached over to pat him on the head before rolling an eye towards the bug, who simply stared. Honestly, unlike most Pokemon, I couldn’t read bugs that well. They just stared and reacted, but they had assisted Drake in the battle without an order, and I could appreciate that. “Thanks, Drake's good at fighting, but any help is appreciated!” I think I saw its eyes gleam before it turned away and returned to my heels, but I could never be sure with him. I could read Drake though, and grinned as he rubbed his cheek against mine and let out a low growl like a purr, he was definitely happy to be out here, perhaps he hadn’t been let put of that building since he was born? That was kinda sad.

But this was good, I already had three Pokemon, and knew for a fact that two were fighters! I knew Reborn was different. Back in Kanto, this team would be fine and likely to win with a little training, but here? This team didn’t stand up for shit. Firstly, I was outnumbered by three, all gym leaders had six Pokemon. Secondly, my team was weak. Good at fighting they were, against all the rest of the scruffy riff-raff of this city, if I were to win, I'd have to learn their moves, and they’d have to listen to me. That last part would only happen with constant fights. I sighed, and raised my hand to scratch Drake's cheek as I started to walk towards the worst slums I had ever seen, the only place open to us. Guess we’d have to find a fight to fight…

--

And fights we found, and how! Everywhere I turned, there was another idiot or druggie looking for a piece of me, sometimes literally, if the wild look in their eyes were any indication. Under a hail of Poochyena, Trubbish, and even some Pidgey, Drake was thriving. He threw himself at every onslaught, and even pounced at one particular instance where some guy hauled a bag around me, apparently to kidnap me. The Spinarak was holding his own at least. He didn’t fight quite as viciously, and his battles tended to drag on as he waited for his enemies to succumb to the poison, but he got the job done. To my severe disappointment, Swing was proving to be more of a liability than a help. She only attacked to defend herself, ran the moment her part was done, and didn’t even hit the enemy that hard to begin with. Once again, I looked down at her and grimaced, it seemed this Pokemon had been broken by bullying, and came out weaker. I mean, I wasn’t going to kill her or release her, I wasn’t a monster! But she wasn’t gym material, I’d have to find someone else…after this hobo with a Caterpie stopped trying to tie me and Drake to a wall. 

--

So confident I was going to be attacked again afterwards, I flinched back as a voice peeked into the world, “Spare some change?” A man, wrapped in rags and covered in dirt, leaned pitifully against an alleyway wall. He coughed, and tried again, “Just a little change, please?” I jumped as if I'd been in a trance, “Oh! Yes, you can have some!” I yelped, and dug into my pockets for a big handful of Poke. Really, when I look back at this, I can’t believe I was overcome with pity this quickly. Certainly, the Reborn region changes you a lot. 

His eyes widened as his hand filled with money, and he started to hobble back into the alleyway, clearly finished for the day, and I started to turn away, then froze. A tiny meow had echoed behind me. I didn’t want to go in there though, it was stinky and dark, for all I knew it could be a gang of Meowth that would tear me apart once I got close to one of their kittens! So exactly why was I walking towards some nondescript house? I’m not sure if curiosity would kill a Meowth, but I was certain it'd kill me one day.

But not today apparently. When I stepped into the house, a little feline lay curled on the ground, and meowed again. An Espurr stared past, stared past everything. It didn’t move as I approached, didn’t look at me, and I glanced at Drake worryingly. Both the Spinarak and Swing were in their Pokeballs, and I don’t think they’d be much help here, so I whispered quietly, “Can you talk to her?” Drake turned his head to the Espurr and let out a low grumbling, ending in a trailed off growl. The Espurr didn’t move, and he whimpered sadly. Failure, the Espurr would sit here until she starved, it would likely be a kindness to the poor thing. I could see where her fur was flattened by a collar, by cuffs and chains. I’ve seen actual kids like this, and it was no less revolting, sometimes they couldn’t save them, and had to watch them rot away. I couldn’t leave it like this. “C'mon girl, you have to get up.” I mumbled, snapping my fingers under her nose and getting no response before digging into my pockets to Pokemon food. “Hungry?” And her eyes moved. 
I froze, not moving my fingers, Drake had the common sense to not move a muscle either. And then the Espurr bit my finger, and I shot back, dropping the food, and the little Pokemon pounced on it like a starved animal, which it likely was. “Are you ok? Did some bastard hurt you? Do you remember?” The Espurr shook her head, munching away as life came back into her eyes. Perhaps it was kinder that way, and I started to rise off my knees, “Good, you’re free now, hurry, we gotta leave.” When I said that, I meant that we were going out of the house, but I felt a tug on my leg and looked down to spot the Espurr clinging to me like a lost child. I guess she’s mine now, so I called her Park. It seemed appropriate for the lost child.

--

Oh, I also got another little Pokemon. Don’t know how it got here, but I found the little thing. A Whimsir was following me ever since I fed Park, I only noticed because a strange whispering itched in my ears until Park hissed and Drake leapt protectively in front of me and her. The rabbit-like Pokemon charged out of nowhere, letting out a long scream. It was thin as a rail, no good at fighting. How did I know? Well, because Park spring from my leg and diverted it from its course with a Scratch, clearly intent on returning the favor I had done for her. But I couldn’t let her get hurt, and snatched her into my hands the moment the Whimsir started towards her with deadly intent. Park bristled and hissed in my hands, and I hastily pushed her ears down with my fingers when they started to twitch up. “Calm the hell down!” I spat, the jerked my chin, “Teach it a lesson Drake!” 
I didn’t need to tell him twice, and the fire lizard darted forward, bowling over the enemy and coming away with bloody claws. To its credit, the Whimsir fought with everything it had, its shrieks getting louder and louder until Drake slammed his tail into its side, where the flames rushed upwards into an unorthodox Ember. Another bash on the head with his claws, and it was down on the floor. Given my lack of Pokemon at the moment, I figured I’d catch it, so I did. Pokemon number five, well, four that were battle ready and willing…

--

It honestly didn’t surprise me when I caught a Gulpin in a similar situation. Let me just say, I’m never walking that close to a dumpster ever again, but at least I now have a Pokemon called Muse!

--

My last Pokemon, Electro, was probably the weirdest job I had done by that point. I don’t know why they chose me of all people passing through the street, probably because I had a Charmander, but an annoyed woman suddenly grabbed my hand and pulled me into a building. Ok, first thing I noticed, it was black. Like, seriously, there was no light whatsoever. “I’m sorry, we just have a little Pokemon problem, can you take care of it?” I curled my lip, only visible because Drake’s tail slightly illuminated the room, and growled, “Oh, yes, ya don’t even need ‘ta ask nicely.” Evidently, she didn’t realize I was being sarcastic, and let out a grateful, “Thank you, child!” Great, I couldn’t very much leave now, could I?

Except there was a problem, the room looked dead empty. Nothing was running around, nothing was on the ceiling. This was probably just a power outage. Except I was wrong. A spark drew my attention near the couch, and I approached carefully, only to set my eyes on the smallest Pokemon ever. A Joltik clung to the wall, draining power. This was the Pokemon shutting the building down!? “H-hey. Pokemon.” I think I got its attention, as the sparks stopped, “You have to get out of here, you’re ruining a perfectly good home.” Silence, and then a wave of electricity darted right towards my face, and the Joltik was gone. What followed was a terrifying romp through the room, trying to both not step on the Pokemon and trying to avoid its surprisingly sharp mandibles. Finally, the Joltik shrieked as Drake’s flames barely licked it, and I located it, and tossed my Pokeball. 

Immediately, I set out the little Pokemon once outside, hoping I didn’t cripple the poor thing. Drake’s flames apparently did nothing except sear off some of his fur, and he glared angrily, “Hi, I’m Kaida, and I’ve decided that you’re Electro now.” For a moment he seemed unconvinced, and I startled as he leapt towards me…and settled in my hair. Apparently it was a goldmine for static electricity.

--

I’ll be honest, considering the Pokemon I had, I was pretty convinced I could beat Julia, no problem. So that’s why I switched Swing with Muse and set off for the gym…and found it locked, a letter stuck on the door saying: Come to the factory, Fern, we're already there.
What the actual hell was this!?

• 4 months later...

Been gone for a while, but I'm back, baby! Maybe I might be a little rusty, but I'm alive and writing! 

Chapter 4: Sparks

Spoiler

The factory? The gym leader was at a factory? Why!?

Now, usually, I would wait right here. The day was still young, and I could probably afford to wait, but I prepared for this day! The damn gym leader was supposed to be here! At the moment, marching on over to the factory and dragging Julia back seemed like the perfect idea, sue me.

And believe it or not, that’s exactly what I marched off to do. Drake clung tightly to my shoulders, swinging back and forth at my rough steps. Smoke was almost always in the skies, fed by factories scattered about. I bet my luck that I could find any factory that Julia was at, I just needed some time. So I stomped towards the nearest factory, eyes watering as I got closer.

…and I found someone! Just…not Julia.
“Tch! She must have meant the other one, dammit Julia.” A voice hissed, and I myself perked up at the mention of Julia, that crazy girl must have confused everybody with that note of hers. “You’re Fern, am I right?” I slowly approached, maybe we could find the factory together, give Julia a talking to for such a weird note!...and then Fern turned around and I suddenly felt like I was being looked at like a bug. “Yeah? What’s it to you?”
Today was a bad day, I hope you understand. Yesterday was a clusterfuck of new Pokemon, weird people, and fights. My muscles hurt, and the scratches on my arms from dealing with both psychos and wild Pokemon burned. “Oh? A real tough guy, huh?” I spat, and my confidence rose as his eyes narrowed behind his glasses, “Looking for Julia so I can actually get somewhere here, I don’t need a guy like you giving me a problem!” Now this felt familiar, it felt good. But I forgot one thing. This was Reborn. Nobody was scared of a human.

Fern blinked, and an ugly smirk twisted his lips, like a frown had someone reversed itself, “A guy like me? And who are you?” My eyes flicked down to spot him reaching for a Pokeball. Oh shit. I didn’t respond, and Fern kept going, “That’s what I thought. Me? I’m the top dog, the cool cat, and I don’t like the way you’re looking at me right now.”

What the hell?

A Pokeball cracked open to release a Bedew, already running forward as if it could sense that its master was angry with me. I don’t know why I didn’t send Drake in, probably some desire to keep him ready for the gym battle, but I instead flung a Pokeball forward. 

Muse came out. A Pokemon I had no idea how to use.

I don’t know if he actually aimed to protect me, but the Gulpin seemed to pulse in place, and the Bedew shrieked as it was blown backwards but landed upright. Another pulse, and Muse spat a purple sludge at his enemy. Another shriek, but this time was followed up with a yellow powder being flung forward, coating Muse in seconds. Fern smiled, and I immediately knew what happened. “Absorb!”

I would have thought, having his energy drained out of him, Muse would show just the slightest of pain, but not a squeal. He stayed perfectly still, and then suddenly pounced forward as some of the Stun Spore wore off. The stubby arms of the Gulpin moved, and I heard a terrifying crunching as the Bewdew's leaf head started to crush inwards…and then Fern returned the Pokemon before the entirety of the damage could sink in, clicking his tongue.

A new Pokemon perched on his shoulder, an owl-like Pokemon that stuck its chest feathers out in a swell imitation of Fern. “Hmph! You must think you’re a real tough guy.” He grumbled as the Rowlet launched off his shoulder, a swirl of leaves smashing into the body of Muse, who finally let out a grunt of pain. Ok. That was it. 

In a swift move, Muse was replaced by the form of Electro, who saw the possible predator in front of him and screeched. The effect was immediate, the Rowlet blinked deeply and started to flutter weakly. Didn’t stop Fern from barking out, “Peck!” and the Rowlet to pounce onto my so small Joltik, the smallest scratch with its beak looked deadly to my Pokemon, and Electro was returned.

I’m not sure why I picked Park next, but as the flash of light dulled in my eyes, Park had already fell upon the Rowlet's back, brandished her claws, and tore into the avian. Being young, the Rowlet couldn’t take too much damage, letting out a long scream as it struggled to shake the Espurr off. Unlike Victoria’s Litten, it wasn’t immediately returned despite the clear inability to fight off the enemy, and my face started to pale as red started to drip onto the floor and matt Park's fur. “Park! Get off of it! It’s done!” I screamed over the chaos, more than a little relieved when the kitten-like Pokemon obeyed instantly, and didn’t look like she might have wanted to hurt the Rowlet more.

“Do you really think you’ll get away with that?” And my anger hit a new high. Did he not realize his Pokemon got hurt to hell trying to hurt a human being!? His idea, I might add! Something in Park's wide eyes must have caught my rage, as she rushed over to my side and clung to my leg. I barely noticed the blood staining my pants as Drake sprang forward. Just as I thought, Fern sent out his next Pokemon. I didn’t know it, but it was his last.

The light opened up as it spiraled towards Drake, and he moved too late. Heavy jaws snapped over his back, drawing an infuriated hiss from the reptilian Pokemon. Speaking of reptilian, it was a Sandile biting my starter. Drake's scales were too weak to hold up against the assault, and steaming blood was added to the ground. A red haze took over the air, and burns started to appear upon the Sandile's mouth as Drake steamed and rolled, finally lodging his back claws into the gap of the Sandile's front leg and belly, and dug in.

Unlike the Sandile's bite, which had collided with Drake’s back, he had managed to strike at his enemies weaker skin. A rip, and the Sandile's jaws trembled before Drake ripped it off and flung it into the ground, and Park shook my pants leg in mute celebration. The Sandile had a huge tear from leg to chest, it wasn’t getting up anymore.

Still not knowing the fight was over, I tensed, preparing for the next attack, but Fern just sniffed in dissatisfaction. “Way to get lucky, nerd.” He grumbled, starting forward as he returned the Sandile. Drake hissed as he neared, but he ignored the Charmander, and shoved me away with his shoulder, drawing a similar sounding noise from my mouth instead. Fern, who I was deciding I already hated, smiled like drawing this out of me was a victory, and kept walking. “That was fun, but I got places to be, see ya loser!”

What. The actual. Hell. 

And you know what was the worst part? I should have just stayed at the gym, and I never would have met that ray of sunshine Fern, because when I got back…Julia was there, looking at me like I was late! “Where were you!? I’ve been here, like, a full minute!” I narrowed my eyes, growling under my breath before answering, “I need to get a gym badge, so if you’d be so kind I-“

A hand was grabbing my wrist, a hand was on my wrist! I couldn’t even say a word, Julia was already dragging me along. “I’m so happy I found you! Now we can go boom! That factory! Lucky day, lucky day!”

Needless to say, I think this was one of the least chaotic things I would ever do in Reborn. It’s almost funny, just how small I was, being dragged into attacking a factory…

Edited by Drakka