Moping Over Releasing Turters the Turtle...

CodeCass

This is so ridiculous.

So my wife and I work in the same office building. During lunch she came in and said she found me a surprise. She placed on my desk the smallest, greenest baby turtle I've ever seen. Not going to lie, he had the sweetest face I'd ever seen in my life, haha. She told me they found him walking around the office hallway where he'd gotten in from an open door. She told me, "Don't you think he looks just like Turters?" Turters is a small turtle from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for those not in "the know". Anyway, of course he did and that was officially his name. 

I spent the next hour and a half planning on how to care for this little guy. He was a red-eared slider and so I immediately started doing research on what exactly we'd need to buy to give him a good life. 

But the more I thought about it, the worse I felt. He was a baby, but he was wild. And we are about to leave on vacation in 6 days. I'd hate to adopt this little guy only to leave him alone for 6 days with only someone stopping by to feed him. Plus with a vacation so close, I really didn't need to go drop $200 on turtle habitat stuff. 

So it was with a heavy heart that I took Turters back out to the pond where I'm sure he came from and released him. IDK but for some reason this has hit me way too damn hard. Here I am, 29 years old, at work, and moping over a little turtle I had to release...and now writing about it on a Pokémon Fan Game site, haha. Life sure is strange I guess.

Anyway, I guess this is my way of venting. I loved little Turters for the 2 hours I had him. Hoping after I get back from vacation I can pull the trigger of getting me a turtle of my very own! 

Below is the only known picture of Turters.

5dyDBRQ0IMgs69b8XuJv1WQN-XUO7aX3VuSIZXK6w3U.jpg

• 1 month later...

When I was a kid I really fuckin wanted a pet turtle. So much in fact that I kinda "made" a pet turtle out of like some milk bottle caps, wire and a spoon.

My dad wasn't really too enthusiastic about the idea but we did happen to live by a fairly large pond and he managed to catch a wild painted turtle.

Neither of us knew jack shit about caring for a turtle and this was back when we couldn't just google how to do it so we kind of just let it swim around in a bucket.

This went on for about at week, it wouldn't eat any of the store bought turtle feed so we eventually decided to release it back to the pond before we ended up killing the poor thing.

It was pretty sad but I think this should serve as a powerful lesson that wild animals do not make good pets no matter how much your spend on them.