Best starter set?

Wolfox

What do you think is the best set of starters we've gotten so far?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Best Starter Set

Starters. part of the essence of Pokémon. Each generation has a starter trio you can choose from. With 7 generations in we've had both good and bad sets of Starters. Here, we celebrate the Best one (in our own oppinion). With that cleared up, let us know what you favorite set of Starters is so far. And, more iportantly, why that is.

My favorite starter trio has th be the latest one of Rowlet, Litten and Poplio. While not the best in battle, they at least look cool and have their own niche's. Whild I would have prefered Decidueye had base 100 speed over special attack, I still enjoy it. Incineroar looks awsome and just lacks a bit in it's movepool/speed and primarina... only really lacks speed (wow, speed really is a common issue in gen 7 huh?). All of them are interesting in their own right and I love each and every one of them

Guest Relinquished

1. Goes without saying. Because they started everything up. Also, mega evolve is so cool! That and they are iconic. Gimme charmander and i am all set!

Hidden factor: Back when pokemon were original in design and concept and very creative, overall; as well as unique and distinctive!

My opinion is pretty botched by the fact that I will only like a starter set if I like the designs of all three Pokemon. If we're talking raw battle ability, one can't deny that Gen 3 made some very powerful starters. But the last generation that I definitively liked the designs of all the Pokemon was Gen 2. The only reason why I don't add Gen 3 is because Blaziken was the first big change in fire starter designs that I didn't really care for, which is a shame because Swampert and Sceptile look great. The Gen that came closest to me liking all the starters again was Gen 6.

Then Gen 7 was a huge letdown for me purely due to Incineroar. I know you like this one OP, but hear me out. I was hype for a lion/cat based fire starter for years, and when it finally happens, the legitimate fire lion is a low-tier Pokemon, and Incineroar blue balls me by suddenly standing upright.

I attached a picture to merely point out what could've been for poor Incineroar, at least it's what I prefer.

incineroar__slight__redesign_by_kipine-dc24tew.png

Edited by Jubedube

Gen 3 would be first as all three are good options and all their megas are pretty cool. 

I'd actually pick Gen 6 secondly becuase I love Greninja and Delphox and I think it's a good group of starters. 

Third would be Gen 7 for me, incineroar is the only one I don't love all that much, but he's growing on me. 

I really like some of the newer starters, but as a set I still like 3 the best, with 4 as a close second. Blaziken did fire/fighting before it was overdone, and is pokemon bruce lee in pokken and the only Starter banned to Uber on Smogon. Swampert's just a solid all-around pokemon, and while normal sceptile isn't very good, he sure as hell looks cool. Their megas only make it better.

4 also had super cool designs, including my personal favorite starter, Empoleon.

Incineroar is great as is.  Honestly I find the many 4 legged fan interpretations rather boring compared to the villain wrestler Tiger Mask homage we ended up getting.

Gen 4 is probably  my top due to Infernape and the other 2 having unique typings.  Gen 7 would be 2nd place.

4 > 7 > 1 >3  > 2 > 5 > 6

3 has the better megas than 1 but megas don't factor much for me personally and gen 1's starters have better designs,  Swampert's line iMO is the ugliest water starter line.

6 is mainly as low as it is for having chestanught and quilladin, easily the worst designs to come out of starter families. 

I'm surprised that Gen 3 is ahead! I found that all of those starters have great pre-evolutions but their final evolutions are all awful design wise, imo. Ruby was my first game ever and I remember crying when my Grovyle evolved to Sceptile. Lol.

That said, I think Gen 1 is the most solid all around but Gen 4 is my overall favorite. Emploeon and Infernape are just boss.