Lin's Identity

magraga

I just finished my first playthrough of the game and have been curious what Lin is after being stabbed by Titania left her alive. My only thoughts are that she is Darkrai in some form because of the narcolepsy Taka describes and her resistance to a stabbing. What are the prevailing thoughts on the Forum?

8 hours ago, magraga said:

I just finished my first playthrough of the game and have been curious what Lin is after being stabbed by Titania left her alive. My only thoughts are that she is Darkrai in some form because of the narcolepsy Taka describes and her resistance to a stabbing. What are the prevailing thoughts on the Forum?

How would her being Darkrai have ANY impact on her being narcoleptic?

I just figure she doesn't have a soul, this is not truly alive and able to take an Aegislash as a result. After all, Shade said two souls would be taken. Corey was one soul, and Shade never said one of the souls couldn't have already been taken. 

Guest Relinquished

Might be an old orphanage kid, as per Laura's (Tanzan Depths) dialogue... As well as Dr. Connal's rambling/monologue, inside Pulse-Abra room...

Clearly, she is not normal, since Anna said: "There was no person riding that Hydreigon"; referring to Sapphira's clash with Lin, on the giant Steelix.

Anna is cryptic and barely comprehensible, but if you try to understand what she is saying, she actually makes sense... A lot more sense than others, at that.

People have theorize that lin is actually a robot or a copy, made using arceus' power. I think that she might be a mental projectile or an illusion 

or maybe she can alter time idk or save her game before getting stabbed idk

6 hours ago, Lord Drakyle said:

How would her being Darkrai have ANY impact on her being narcoleptic?

That could be a crazy statement. My understanding of Darkrai is that he's a nightmare pokemon. Therefore he has an association with sleep. But the idea of her being a projection or illusion makes sense as well. I am curious how her being a projection works with the fact that she fundamentally changed Team Meteor upon joining. 

6 hours ago, magraga said:

That could be a crazy statement. My understanding of Darkrai is that he's a nightmare pokemon. Therefore he has an association with sleep. But the idea of her being a projection or illusion makes sense as well. I am curious how her being a projection works with the fact that she fundamentally changed Team Meteor upon joining. 

Rereading the books in Subseven Sanctum got me thinking, particularly "Light's End".

Spoiler

So kind was light to show us mercy, that in its shade we festered heresy. Twixt three stones, each shaded void, six pillars shone, their truth deployed: Emerald, Crimson, Violet, Gold, Azure and Ivory seal as told. Take heed of its prison, o ye foolish men, for the blackest beast lies at light's end.

No real news on Darkrai, but we already know Giratina has affected Reborn, that Giratina is not on good terms with Arceus, and that Lin is keen on the darkness of the new world.

And then there's "Remnants of the New World"

Spoiler

"When our Lord Arceus had at last finished crafting the world from stardust,

what then should the divine do with the remnants of immateria?

These forgotten fragments of reality have been sealed away in the Sacred Land.

Behind stone doors, four pillars of light bind the New World to a shadow of our own.

Yet the sleeping legend remains.

The Lord Arceus shall come again.

The New World, too, shalt be Reborn"

Edited by Faeborn

On May 11, 2018 at 6:41 AM, ArcherEric said:

or maybe she can alter time idk or save her game before getting stabbed idk

So something like using the research on the red chain to create another one and control Dialga? That would also explain the time loop thing that's heavily implied and 

Spoiler

Us not existing anymore later on, as explained by Miss. Direction. 

Lin: Ame never told you what happened to your mother.

MC: No, I don't think she knew her

Lin: No. I am your Mother.

MC: Okay. Makes sense, I've always loved Dragon types.

Lin: You know it to be true. I left your father because he played too much Mortal Kombat. He named you Raiden, for gods sake.

And that is the Kilian Experience.

On 5/12/2018 at 4:32 AM, Josef said:

I believe the real Lin is trapped inside the ancient ruin where we found Adrienne and is actually somehow controlling a copy of hers from afar. 

That's what I was thinking too. Also, there are probably two Lin at this moment. The fake Lin already appeared shortly after we wrecked the PULSE Abra in Tanzan hideout, but in the other hand, we can hear someone when we leave the Citae Arc-d'Astrae Aerie, someone who apparently enjoy a game whose the main character is one of the player. This person might be the true Lin. And I would not be surprised to discover that her adult version was possibly a virtual program elaborated by a talented hacker... Also, there was many hints slipped into the 17th episode of Reborn related to the Spell of the Unown movie (Pink sky background for Tania and underwater talking Amy), and this one especially included a little girl who managed to create an illusion of herself as an adult by embracing the power of the Unown. Somehow, we know that Lin was a child from the orphanage in Lapis, but we don't have any clue of what happened to her biological parents.

Edited by Q-Jei

We know by ZEL that she doesn't want the main character to be hurt, and even makes Titania believe that we are working together. What if it was indeed the case? Maybe the choices we did are talking for us? Depending on how we reacted in a specific situation, could we be on her side or not? There's one which came back to my mind, when ZEL asked the player if he really wanted to destroy everything in his path. If we answer 'yes', this underline that we are even ready to break apart the PULSE-Magnezone. Personally, at this point, I got tired of this overbid of violence, so I've chosen the most pacific thing to do: I answered 'no'. But it's then interpreted as a lie by your opponent who thinks the contrary. What if we already knew about the hacking trick? Regardless of what happens, we might be just a silent character as said by Radomus who broke the 4th wall when you return to the Vanhanen Castle before to battle with him, but we always have a choice all along the game. I would be pissed if whatever we did, we're just a puppet of Lin. I prefer to interprete it as a hint to the first Mystery Dungeon game where the player was accused to be a prophetic Pokemon whose the only existence would lead the whole world to its end. I just hope we're not what I think!

• Veterans
On 5/11/2018 at 10:32 PM, Josef said:

I believe the real Lin is trapped inside the ancient ruin where we found Adrienne and is actually somehow controlling a copy of hers from afar. 

i like this.

kinda like FFVII and Sephiroth

• Developers

Amethyst has said on her tumblr that the main protag is a blank slate I kinda doubt we have a huge tie to Lin. It's probably more of a thing where she can't use the gems/crystals for whatever reason and we are a mere pawn in her scheme I mean come on we get handed the gem/crystals like candy why not use us to collect them saves effort

• Veterans
10 hours ago, ShadeStrider said:

Do you think that the MC could be a "Lin" clone? Like Cloud and Sephiroth?

And Lin was manipulating you, the "Blank Slate" the whole time?

mmmmm...I don't know if there's necessarily a need to manipulate you. you are on a pretty set path, after all.

There might be some other teamwork going on, though. It would take a lot of work to get you and Lin together.

On 5/14/2018 at 9:31 AM, ShadeStrider said:

She did say at one point that we once had the same goal? I'm not sure what this means.

Perhaps the keys don't actually have to be in a specific place to unlock the door, but just united. Lin knows from watching the attack on Devon that you are the best trainer among the good guys, and so you will be the core of the attack on Meteor's remaining bases, and will be the one to beat the Meteor leaders who are there. As such its most likely you who's going to end up taking the keys they currently have. She needs you to have the keys currently held by the good guys so that when you get hold of those they will all be together.

Or when she comes for you herself she'll be able to take them all in one fell swoop without anyone else getting the chance to delay her.

• 3 months later...

I have my own theories of Lin.

Spoiler

tbh i don't understand or believe in the idea that she isn't real. i believe everything exists as it is, including the character who apparently has died so many times and also comes back as both a child and adult. 

Spoiler

so ive only kept up so much with the story, i have a bunch of gaps in knowledge due to sometimes just forgetting how much information has really been placed into the game, also the fact that i started playing nearly 3-4 years ago. but the more and more i read into it and do research on both the Player Character and Lin, the more im drawn to the idea of these 2 being the "chosen one(s)" of Arceus and Giratina. theres so much evidence to show Lin is out there with Giratina, for if she could go through time AND space then everything that has happened to her so far (death in reshiram chapter, dead with Shade's gym, somehow using a black hole to make Samson disappear, etc.) would make ultimately perfect sense. it means simply put for whatever reasons, she is rewriting history the way she sees fit for her own wants/needs (which we, or maybe just i, am unaware of yet). the reason i suspect the Player Character to be Arceus's chosen one is the fact of his silence throughout the play through (i mean, yes he's the player character but they had to give him something more than just the game functionality), as well as his blind luck in almost everything and everywhere he goes (as would the existence of Arceus, the creator, would be served 'luck' whenever challenged by all that he has created). of course, allies rise and fall, enemies AND friends switch sides as time moves; but respectfully these are only OUR opinions by placing these 2 on their respective "sides". but i believe the purpose of these 2 characters is for them not to believe in sides, at least as far as i have seen. instead there is a goal in mind. for Lin, to search and destroy without care. for PC, to question nearly everything going on (purpose of playing the game, our outer perspective as game players; but also CARING about nearly everything that happens, even if he has no power to stop some of the issues at hand; just as a God, Arceus, would if living right amongst people and pokemon). so far of course none of this has been truly proven, but the more i watch, play, and utilize the knowledge we have the clearer the picture gets. i mean part of the reason i say this is cuz truly how the heck does the Player Character just waltz out of a black hole? even with Shade's and Luna's help that should be next to impossible (same way it should've been impossible for Lin to conjure Gardevoir who had been swallowed up in the black hole), which we've seen time and time again the main character defies all logic to reason in the game anyways, at least so far. you could even reason that Shade and Luna ARE the incarnate form of Arceus's "luck" as the Creator of all. so i suspect, as the same defiable logic works for Lin, that she must be the opposite, by fate or nature or simply chance, of the Player Character. 

If anybody wishes to help shed some light upon this idea, id love to hear it! if you disagree then please let me know why and help prove me wrong. i looooove to learn about mysteries and this is no exception. best RPG game storyline ive seen yet!!!

Edited by iskuehne
missing information

On 5/11/2018 at 8:00 PM, Faeborn said:

No real news on Darkrai, but we already know Giratina has affected Reborn, that Giratina is not on good terms with Arceus, and that Lin is keen on the darkness of the new world.

9 hours ago, iskuehne said:

Hide contents

so ive only kept up so much with the story, i have a bunch of gaps in knowledge due to sometimes just forgetting how much information has really been placed into the game, also the fact that i started playing nearly 3-4 years ago. but the more and more i read into it and do research on both the Player Character and Lin, the more im drawn to the idea of these 2 being the "chosen one(s)" of Arceus and Giratina. theres so much evidence to show Lin is out there with Giratina, for if she could go through time AND space then everything that has happened to her so far (death in reshiram chapter, dead with Shade's gym, somehow using a black hole to make Samson disappear, etc.) would make ultimately perfect sense. it means simply put for whatever reasons, she is rewriting history the way she sees fit for her own wants/needs (which we, or maybe just i, am unaware of yet). the reason i suspect the Player Character to be Arceus's chosen one is the fact of his silence throughout the play through (i mean, yes he's the player character but they had to give him something more than just the game functionality), as well as his blind luck in almost everything and everywhere he goes (as would the existence of Arceus, the creator, would be served 'luck' whenever challenged by all that he has created). of course, allies rise and fall, enemies AND friends switch sides as time moves; but respectfully these are only OUR opinions by placing these 2 on their respective "sides". but i believe the purpose of these 2 characters is for them not to believe in sides, at least as far as i have seen. instead there is a goal in mind. for Lin, to search and destroy without care. for PC, to question nearly everything going on (purpose of playing the game, our outer perspective as game players; but also CARING about nearly everything that happens, even if he has no power to stop some of the issues at hand; just as a God, Arceus, would if living right amongst people and pokemon). so far of course none of this has been truly proven, but the more i watch, play, and utilize the knowledge we have the clearer the picture gets. i mean part of the reason i say this is cuz truly how the heck does the Player Character just waltz out of a black hole? even with Shade's and Luna's help that should be next to impossible (same way it should've been impossible for Lin to conjure Gardevoir who had been swallowed up in the black hole), which we've seen time and time again the main character defies all logic to reason in the game anyways, at least so far. you could even reason that Shade and Luna ARE the incarnate form of Arceus's "luck" as the Creator of all. so i suspect, as the same defiable logic works for Lin, that she must be the opposite, by fate or nature or simply chance, of the Player Character. 

"Numbers do not help. Friends do not help. Spirit does not help."

-Lin, Devon Corp?

Interesting. Spirit does not help...You know who also didn't like spirit? Cyrus. And which legendary was Cyrus affiliated with???

Image result for thinking emoji