The “Good Characters” Rant

World3

So.

Welcome to the good characters rant.

If you hate a particular character, post about it. I seem to hate all the “good” characters who everyone else likes, but there’s a reason for each and every one. Bear with me:

Also spoilers

1) Corey:

From my experience everyone seems to start off hating Corey, but rapidly begin to feel pity for him as they progress through the Beryl Arc and probably feel genuine sadness when he kills himself. Now I hate to agree with Fern, but Corey is a loser. Yeah, life sucks. A lotta stupid shit happens to you that you have no control over. But that doesn’t mean you should kill yourself. It’s even worse because I share his cynicism and a lot of his world 

view. I’m still alive. Even worse, he’s not even good. His gym battle isn’t even difficult, just inconvenient. Even if you do the Officers Found route, his gym battle is light work. 

Now, thought I hate him, he is a good character. He influences a lot of the plot for the rest of the game. He has a specific role to play, and he does it well. But I still hate him.

2) Victoria:

Now I like think a lot of people agree with this. Victoria is a useless piece of shit. For most of the game she just acts as a roadblock, which is honestly hilarious considering how bad of a trainer she is. From the beginning of the game up until the end of the Apophyll Arc, she could be replaced by literally any other character. She does eventually get fleshed out, but until then she’s just an inconvenience. 

She’s like a speed bump: you’re supposed to slow down, but nobody really does. After you’re over it, you just forget about her.

3) Shelly:

Now I know Shelly is more beloved than Fern is despised, but I still dislike her. Mostly this is because she’s a weak person with little visible and personality, although I don’t know if I can really count that since it’s more the fault of Cal and Bugsy. She cares about her friends, and is one of the most important characters in Reborn. But that doesn’t mean I have to like her. 

Guest Relinquished

Didn't know Corey was "good". Is one of those personalities, usually called, "grey".

4) I myself hate Corey's daughter, because she is dumb, puts everybody in danger and needless adventuring (story was ok, though), plus is very conceited... Just because she has a Salamence, she thinks should hunt down the Meteors? That is absurd, even if she had a legendary, up her sleeve. Wanders off, forces our group to split up, doesn't talk even though she perfectly fine can and worries her friends further... Child is the definition of brat! Of course, just to admit it, she had a lot of things going on and is both confused and a minor, but still...

5) I hate Adrienn really. Don't expect an analysis, though, thing is big and complicated. Let's just say his performance down there in the lost city, was what made it an unsavory character to me.

6) Cal. The exact same thing for part of your Corey and Viktoria analysis, applies. He plays the bad guy while acting the goody-two-shoes, fails at both roles, plus he is really weak and probably useless (unless he has a bigger role in the endgame, mostly for foiling Meteor plans further, or something).

7) Amaria. Just in case she is "good" (which i really doubt). Evil, vile, toxic person. Puts us all in needless adventuring, too.

8) Kiki. I really like her a lot and look up to her, even... But putting your health first is mandatory, in case you want to defend others and make safe their whereabouts. Not only she couldn't defend anything, but in her condition, she was a "burden" to others around her, exactly like in those anime fights, or something.

9) Luna. She is an eye-candy and i think of her, exactly like how Bennett does. But she is not very straight, nor she comes straight at us. She is mysterious, certainly hiding something and i am a little bit afraid of her, even. Seems to be a master rank deceiver.

10) Terra. Terrawr. Whatever.

4) Terra:

I think this is pretty obvious. I don’t actually hate Terra all that much since her dialogue and personality are... interesting, to say the least. She’s a burst of comic relief in an otherwise serious game. But that’s all she is. She’s so one-dimensional that I can’t even take enjoyment from her speech and habits. It’s just... rawr. That’s it. She’s a flat character who would easily be forgotten if she wasn’t so extra. I actually don’t even know why Team Meteor let her join. Knowing her she’d probably blurt out their plan in a fit if excitement. Very disappointing.

25 minutes ago, GS BALL said:

4)  I myself hate Corey's daughter, because she is dumb, puts everybody in danger and needless adventuring (story was ok, though), plus is very conceited... Just because she has a Salamence, she thinks should hunt down the Meteors? That is absurd, even if she had a legendary, up her sleeve. Wanders off, forces our group to split up, doesn't talk even though she perfectly fine can and worries her friends further... Child is the definition of brat! Of course, just to admit it, she had a lot of things going on and is both confused and a minor, but still...

Concurrence. Heather just pisses me off. She does dumb shit, makes everyone else go rescue her, and then tells us to fuck off ‘cause she don’t want no rules. 

Also how tf does a 6-year-old get a salamence? Actually tho

26 minutes ago, World3 said:

Also how tf does a 6-year-old get a salamence? Actually tho

I think she inherited Salamence from her mother.

I kinda agree about Victoria btw; although I don't strongly dislike her, she functions a bit too much as a needless obstacle, and I'm particularly annoyed by how she guilt-trips the MC before challenging Kiki to obtain the Strength HM.

Corey is one of my favorite characters in the game and his tragedy stems from not being strong enough or capable of dealing with his internal problems. Losing his wife really messed him up and depression beats some people. Corey is genuinely sympathetic and clearly doesn't like the path his head is taking him on. He doesn't ask for forgiveness or pity but what really makes him sympathetic is that he doesn't know how to ask for help.

Victoria... yeah she kinda sucks. I mean the trainers you go up against aren't ever going to be real roadblocks in any pokemon game but damn could she at least get a legendary to make her "tough". Her personality is fine but she could easily be removed from the first part of the game and you wouldn't miss anything. In fact, you could probably focus more on Kiki who depends on Cal to takeover only to get that cruel heartbreak... Thanks Victoria.

Amaria is the  actual worst. I remember starting this part years ago when she first jumped and thinking oh my god this is so sad but by the end when she lets known that she's aware of her toxic tendencies and how they kill Titania its... sad but man does it make me not like who I initially thought would be a crazy cool badass from her first encounter. *Also I fought her the first time during a fire type mono... so extra albeit undeserved fuck her points*

Terra isn't that funny. I think there's a real backstory between her and Lin going on that I'm curious about because no way in the distortion world is she still in that computer. Hopefully she pulls a Toby from Naruto on us.

Heather is not likeable but in her defense, I don't think she's supposed to be likeable. She starts off as a miserable brat and finally becomes tolerable. I think the hate comes in from the fact shes like 10 and part of the E4......................... Yup. 

Feeling like this is shonen because the females aren't doing so hot.

Saphira=Best girl.... that's something

Whoooo. Don’t even get me started on Amaria. I’m thinking of doing a whole ‘nother topic just for how much I hate her. 

Terra... I have a very niche sense of humor that mostly consists of outdated memes that were never funny in the first place.

And Saphira pisses me off too. She’s like Lin, except technically on your side. I get that she care more about her sisters than about the MC, but that combine with jar absolute brutality towards the Meteor grunts makes me not really like her.

I agree that Saphira can be a little raw sometimes and how she has no qualms killing people isn't ideal but seeing how Solaris straight up decapitated someone tells me that Meteor as a whole shouldn't be given too much mercy since many of them don't question their means. At least until the Saphira killed half of them and now they've merged with a Cult... guess that one's on best girl

Cain was funny at first but seriously,that dude need to chill it stopped being funny to be extra..

I don't like titania, I hate her attitude, I really don't like that she uses her aegislash to kill, I'm not above killing the bad guys but those grunts were just grunts. At least she feels some guilt after the event during the reshiram path...but other than that, id be fine never seeing her again

I ain't got enough time to spend on amaria.. she really started ticking me off with just her melodrama alone....and after her stunt in the pool? Screw her

Solaris is a great character and easily one of my favorites. I still very much like Cain. As far as rivals go hes... eh but as far as main friends go hes great. 

Amaria's gym is the fucking water temple of reborn

10 hours ago, Damage said:

Solaris is a great character and easily one of my favorites. I still very much like Cain. As far as rivals go hes... eh but as far as main friends go hes great. 

Amaria's gym is the fucking water temple of reborn

At least Solaris is an actual leader with a goal in mind besides just killing people. 

Both Amaria and Titania get under my skin so much, but more so Titania honestly. At least Amaria we can just chalk up as being severely mentally ill. Titania, however, is just insufferable to everyone for no goddamn reason. 

I give Saphira sort of a pass for being this same kind of stereotypical definitive badass character just because I understand her desperation and motivation after being exposed to Dr. Connal and his antics myself in the game, plus she isn't as insufferably aloof as Titania to begin with.  

So Titania is basically Saphira but with none of the reasons for me to give a shit about her, which makes it all the more grating when she rags on the player no matter what they do. There is literally no pleasing this bitch. [Unless you give her ice cream, bitches love ice cream]

Pretty much everyone else is aight. 

I think Titania gets too much hate. Probably because I've actually been in her shoes. Someone who is in love with you and would bring physical harm to their body if you leave takes a toll on you mentally. Especially since its clear Titania had feelings for someone else or at least its implied her and Flo may have shared feelings (total theory here) but in order to keep Amaria from going mental she took that side. Is Titania too cold? Yes she is far too jaded for someone her age but is it unrealistic for someone to become depressed living in her shoes? Not at all, having to change and or give up your life so someone else is (at Amaria's own admission) slightly happier can and will bring you down.

Aright, lets talk about the man whom is hated on most of anyone: Fern. So everyone hates on him, and for good reason. He’s a fuckin dick. To everyone. Fair enough.

But I can’t really hate him because he’s too relatable of a character for me. He has a massive inferiority complex, just like me. He’s always lookin’ fresh as fuck (just like me). And he sucks at battling and always overestimates his abilities. Just like me. Now that doesn’t mean I’m always a pain in the ass to everyone I meet, but a lot of my behavior is similar to his, especially when it comes to mistreating those who I perceive as being better than me.

Ah, hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

8 hours ago, World3 said:

Aright, lets talk about the man whom is hated on most of anyone: Fern. So everyone hates on him, and for good reason. He’s a fuckin dick. To everyone. Fair enough.

But I can’t really hate him because he’s too relatable of a character for me. He has a massive inferiority complex, just like me. He’s always lookin’ fresh as fuck (just like me). And he sucks at battling and always overestimates his abilities. Just like me. Now that doesn’t mean I’m always a pain in the ass to everyone I meet, but a lot of my behavior is similar to his, especially when it comes to mistreating those who I perceive as being better than me.

Ah, hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

At first I just kind of took Fern at face value and decided to let myself enjoy just how preposterous he was. 

But the alternate version of the mansion raid where he sort of breaks and ends up pouring his frustrations and insecurities out to his sister really made me appreciate his character more than I ever thought I would 

I didn't see the alternate mansion raid. I'd like to replay to see that now. I never hated Fern as a character. As a character is probably one of the best written in the game if not THE best written in the game. As a person yeah he sucks... but hes supposed to and I think that's one of the characters everyone will agree does their part in the story perfectly. The real question is "can he be redeemed"... I dunno bout all that.

23 minutes ago, Damage said:

I didn't see the alternate mansion raid. I'd like to replay to see that now. I never hated Fern as a character. As a character is probably one of the best written in the game if not THE best written in the game. As a person yeah he sucks... but hes supposed to and I think that's one of the characters everyone will agree does their part in the story perfectly. The real question is "can he be redeemed"... I dunno bout all that.

Just remember you need to defeat Solaris on Mt. Pyrous (in other words the level 75 Garchomp) to get the alternate version of the Fiore Mansion raid. And I think Florinia will eventually get through to him and bring him back, as that would mirror events from the actual league where she came back as a challenger just to kick Fern's ass.

• Veterans
On 25/04/2018 at 5:40 PM, World3 said:

Also Lin. Solaris is nothing compared to Lin. Solaris is actually kind of an enjoyable character, but Lin is just straight bullshit. I will post a rant about how much Lin sucks, because it will take pages

Lin.

Lin, Lin, Lin. Everybody's favourite green haired antagonist.

I actually wouldn't dislike her as much if Solaris wasn't built up(and built up rather well)to be the main antagonist for the first half of the game. Like you've got this dude that's able to take on one of the strongest gym leaders in the region with a MASSIVE type disadvantage, then proceed to hype tf out of him by showing that he could literally beat everyone at Pyrous Mountain on his own with just his Garchomp. It's then show that his son is Taka, the friendly Meteor that's been bailing your ass out again and again. He's given a goal that later turns out to be understandable if anything else; he wants to bring the ruins his family kept under the city back to glory, a site that was built over without his permission soon after his parent's death at that. Most of his more positive traits are informed attributes through Taka, showing that he was if nothing else, a family man. In my eyes he has many traits of a well built up main antagonist.

Then Lin gets revealed. Immediantly you go "Oh fuck." Why? Because she's stated to be the true leader of Team Meteor, implying that she's beyond even Solaris. This demotes the former 'Big Bad' into the Dragon. Which really only increases Meteor's threat level given that the Dragon was capable of going toe to toe with a high ranking gym leader while at a disadvantage and that his servant is a member of the Elite Four. 

And then literally nothing gets done with this hype. She just. Takes down a Steelix you've beaten 2 minutes prior and then vanishes off the face of the Earth until episode 16. The only real remarkable thing about her after this is that she spouts some of the most comically edgy lines I've ever seen.

Oh yeah. And she's responsible for Taka's death. 

I just can't stand this character at all.

And then there’s all that bullshit about how she’s like invincible or some crap. Like how she got stabbed by Titania and was still alive.

Solaris at least seems to have a goal in mind, and it’s actually a fairly admirable one. His methods... are a bit more than dodgy, but that’s because he’s pursuing his goal with determination. If someone gets in his way, then out they go. He’s not above killing someone to fulfill his dream, and I don’t think he feels remorse about it, but I also don’t think he relishes killing as Lin seems to. We don’t even know if Lin is actually down for the squad with the goals of Meteor. That’s partially because she’s had very minimal screen time, but I wouldn’t be surprised if she actually had some other end goal in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so let me go on a little rant about Saphira.

I hate her.

I'll admit with her more formal introduction at Meteor interrupting the original Noel fight I kind of liked her

But then we get into her murders.

I can understand death in games, and I usually don't mind.

But the problem here is that Saphira shows absolutely no remorse over taking a human life.

I don't care if they're trying to blow up the region, show SOME emotion for killing a person.

Even Solaris tried to make himself feel better by saying Kiki would've died from the journey up the volcano.

The only other character that shows this little empathy for anyone is f*cking LIN the main antagonist of this game!

Even Titania starts to feel the toll of her actions.

Saphira?

She feels nothing.

And she doesn't even kill anyone of any importance in Meteor!

She kills grunts without so much as a command to Dragonite to disembowel them.

But when she's in the same room as Sirius and ZEL, she's suddenly in the mood to talk.

If she did anything to show that she regrets her actions even a little I wouldn't hate her as much.

But the fact that she shows about as much remorse as someone who might have no soul really makes her unlikable for me. 

17 hours ago, uberle said:

And she doesn't even kill anyone of any importance in Meteor!

She kills grunts without so much as a command to Dragonite to disembowel them.

But when she's in the same room as Sirius and ZEL, she's suddenly in the mood to talk.

To be fair, since she wasn't meant to kill any of the characters in the room, the story had to find a way to somehow justify why she didn't.

First thing that happens is that we're walking into the room more or less at the time Sirius comes in to mention that Lin is about to arrive. Saphira and Sigmund, of course, immediately note that the name sounds familiar to them, which temporarily defuses the situation as they're distracted with pondering over this.
Then they get interrupted by Lumi, and it's time for our mandatory exposition about Abra.

After that, however, Saphira does immediately flip her attack switch back on:
SwQiR8P.png

Aaaaand that's when she and the PC get teleported away by Abra, lol.

I think it's reasonable enough that the mention of Lin would, for a moment, throw her off a bit. The scene is supposed to allude to the connection between Lin and the orphanage so that's why it's there, and I think it makes sense that it would distract Saphira. Laura tells us about how orphanage Lin bullied her constantly, and Saphira would probably have some sort of feeling attached to a name that's connected to making one of her sisters miserable.

The grunts, on the other hand, would have been unlikely to have anything to say that could distract her from her little rampage.

The victoria hate seems way overblown to me. I can't understand it and she's one of the more empathetic and down to earth characters in a cast full of loonies. She's more of a friend than rival,(think Bianca) but that doesn't make her "shit" or "useless." She provides a nice balance to some of the other personalities and is probably the most morally good character in the game. That might be partly why people don't take to her though.

The only hero character I'm not crazy about is Aya, who complains way too much and comes off as needlessly bitchy. I do enjoy the beef between her and Fern though. Oh and Heather too lol. You feel sorry for her but at the same time she's so abrasive it's maddening. Noel is kind of bland personality wise but that makes sense for an aspies normal type leader. Laura is my least favorite of the 3 sisters but she's alright.

And corey I found the hardest gym leader thus far in ep 17. Screw crobat sweeps lol.

Also Lin showed why she's boss in ep 16. Won't spoil but she was screwing around in that episode.

Personally I think Luna is actually a bad guy. Dark type specialist, loves to play pretend, goes around starting trouble and putting others in danger. We're not really sure what she's even doing at the moment.