• Desolation
    • Insurgence
    • Full Moon
    • Mega Adventure
    • Alchemist
    • Paradox
    • Zeta and Omicron

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/15/18 at 05:41 PM

Hey, buddy. Reborn is way ahead in the polls for me at the moment, contested only by Zeta and Omicron. I've played Omicron before. It's good, but it doesn't hold a candle to Reborn, in my opinion. Reborn is much more challenging, though.

Edited by Chameleon109

Guest Relinquished

Insurgence. With that close to episode 18 release, replaying 17 would probably hinder you, from enjoying the new addition, or wanting to play it as soon as it arrives. Full Moon is stuck quite some time without being updated, Desolation is most probably cancelled/dead, Mega Adventure is very interesting but lacks the vast majority of gen 7 (and it is never going to be implemented, anyway), Rejuvenation as you say would be "again", Zeta and Omicron are old and noticeably aged...

Insurgence is a bit buggy, but well worth it. One of the best fangames at that, too. Needless to say, though, the highest quality projects, are the first three in your poll.

I would recommend desolation since its a pretty good game and has a lot hours of gameplay.I would suggest playing reborn once episode 18 comes.

As for the other games, i have played all of them ( not paradox ), but wasnt really impressed. ( excluding rejuvenation, but you already played through that ).

34 minutes ago, Pozyher said:

I would recommend desolation since its a pretty good game and has a lot hours of gameplay.I would suggest playing reborn once episode 18 comes.

As for the other games, i have played all of them ( not paradox ), but wasnt really impressed. ( excluding rejuvenation, but you already played through that ).

I haven't played Paradox either, and I put Rejuvenation (AGAIN) because I played through v10 at least 2 times. I want to wait a bit before I play it again, maybe a month or two.

Of the ones I've played...

- Reborn: The original of the 'Field Effect Trio'. It has a more grounded plot than the other two (Rejuvenation and Desolation), and IMO, it's the most meticulously balanced of all three fangames. Sometimes, the game's plot feels like it really drags on, though.

- Rejuvenation: You've already played this, so no comment.

- Desolation: This game has rather superb writing compared to the other two Field Effect games, and it's my favorite of the three. It's also notably shorter due to being the newest game and having received less updates since its creation. Indeed, the project might have stalled/might be dead, but it's still worth playing if only to see why people want the project to continue so badly. Fair bit of warning though, the game's a bit less balanced than the other two. Indeed, this game is a lot less shy about giving you higher-tier Pokemon and TMs earlier on, if you put in the effort to explore and find them - but at the same time, the first three gyms are among the hardest of all the gyms across all three fangames.

- Insurgence: This game has a lot of quality of life features (particularly HM abilities being usable through other means) along with coming up with Aloan variants (called 'Delta Pokemon') before gen 7 even existed. It also has the most well built online functionality out of all fangames that exist thus far. But as a single player game, the plot isn't anything to write home about, and the environments/music are rather copy/pastey.

- Full Moon: Average at best, IMO. It does have a few neat things, but difficulty doesn't really exist considering the game hands you master balls and legendaries left and right. The story is rather amusing, though. The game features a talking female protagonist, rather unique in that aspect.

- Zeta/Omicron: Sort of the prequel to Insurgence. I would give this a hard pass, as Insurgence is better in virtually every way (which wasn't really a high bar). The game did not age well at all.

A recommendation or two of fangames that you didn't mention here: Legends of the Arena. Worth playing alone just for the writing and story. It is by far the best written fangame of all thus far (which is quite a feat for a fangame that more or less replaced gyms for a regional tournament and isn't very dark at all), with Postscriptum being rather close. LotA doesn't have much for difficulty and operates on gen 5 mechanics (with Pokemon up to gen 4), but it has the feeling of a fangame that shows what the main Pokemon games could be like with drastically improved pacing and overall writing quality. Also notable for having an actual talking protagonist. It is also unique in that this fangame has serious cutscene direction, rather than being an afterthought like with most fangames.

Speaking of Postscriptum, it's a fair bit darker than Legends of the Arena, and features a fakemon as a starter (Deliby, a Delibird pre-evo). It has a rather unique protagonist and setting (an explicitly adult protagonist that talks, and is more or less a mailman), and leans heavily into philosophical and personal topics that are rarely ever asked (Why are we so dependent on Pokemon? What are the purpose of gyms and their badges?). The overall design of the fangame is also very different from any other fangame thus far - you can't freely capture Pokemon just yet for plot reasons, you pretty much have to find and earn their trust - and as such, any Pokemon you have are treated as actual party members rather than fodder. Thus, you're expected to lose quite a fair bit, and the game feels more like a traditional RPG rather than an actual Pokemon game.

Reborn - The OG edgy storyline game
Rejuvenation - Reborn but less edgy and has more mystery
Desolation - the least edgy game of the edgy trio. It revolves around the concept of dreams.
Full Moon - your typical teenage angst story with a twist.
Zeta/Omnicron - story is shite, but still playable.
Insurgence - Similar to Zeta/Omnicron but much better.

The rest, I dunno.