Some Stress Relief

Just so you know, I am only writing this down as a stress reliever. I wanted to put my thoughts somewhere, and thought this would be the best place to do so. Please keep that in mind when reading this. Keep in mind that the material may be a bit sensitive to some (given how new this is at the time of this), so feel free to ignore this if you don't want to bother.

Spoiler

So for those of you unaware, the United States (where I reside), Britain, and France have launched a coordinated attack against Syria, an ally of Russia. Such an attack could begin World War III. Now, in general, it's too early to make assumptions and assume the doomsday scenario. I may be paranoid, but even I'm not that paranoid. However, I once made a promise to myself that if my country went to war, I would join the Army to fight this battle. While I'm not exactly enamored with the state our country is currently in, it's still my country, and I want to do whatever I can to serve her well.

I'm only typing this because I'm only beginning to realize that this reality may be coming sooner than expected. Honestly, I'm a bit scared. Part of me doesn't want to die, but I'm more than happy to do so if it's to keep the ones I love in good hands (even if my leader may have been the one to put the ones I love in jeopardy in the first place). That doesn't make it all the less real for me, though.

I know this topic seems pointless to make, and to be honest, it is. However, I thought it would be helpful for me to put my thoughts into words. I enjoy this community very much, and feel I am able to share this with all of you. If you read this, thank you for putting up with this man's ramblings.

Here is some salty advice from a salty sea story from a salty sailor. Last year when North Korea was was making all the threats, trying to shake up America, I was out in the middle of the ocean, on patrol waiting and waiting to respond to an attack. Everyday for almost 2 months we were being drilled, and the threat of war was looming over the horizon, but it didn't happen. When Syria was attacked last year, nothing changed. People with power like to make big claims, they like to threaten people with propaganda and fear. But you shouldn't let that beat you down. Honestly you do not have to be in the military, or wear a uniform to serve your country. Sometimes being a good citizen, like paying taxes, going to work, going to college, things like that is all your country can ask for, and you don't have to like your government to love your country. And if the stress is getting, go running, or do some physical activity. Seriously take it from someone who IS in the military that there is nothing to be afraid of. America has the most powerful military for a reason.

There is one simple way to describe why WW3 will not happen (over this issue): Russia. You might think this would be the exact reason war breaks out, but that would be rather the opposite. You see, there are many many factors with Russian foreign policy. Keep as much influence in as many regions as possible. Thus far, they effectively only have one crucial ally in every region. Syria in the Middle East, North Korea in East Asia, Egypt in Africa, and Cuba in the Americas (and possibly a friendly relationship with Brazil). They want to keep Syria as an ally in the Middle East and they want their bases to stay there. That being said, there are boundaries even Russia will not cross. Though they themselves have ("allegedly") used chemical weapons in their campaign against Georgia they know the world is a lot more connected and vastly prone to social media. Reports such as those that came out of Syria following the most recent chemical attack are very damning. Just because the United States pulled most of its personnel from Syria does not mean they can't strike back. al Asad viewed the US pulling forces out as weakness and less of a willingness to pursue the civil war any further. He greatly mistook the backlash and our capability. With such events occurring there is a certain point where Russia has to throw up its hands and say, "Sorry, you screwed up badly this time. We can't do anything instrumental." In doing this, they show the Syrian regime it can't royally screw up and Russia will always have its back.

Edited by StoicStone