What is Your Team Building Method?

Ethan Hunt

Back in the 1st through 3rd gen my young self never paid attention to stats, natures and the like. It wasn't till gen 6 when I started playing again that I became more aware of the different abilities, physical and special movesets, base stats..etc. those days I just had an overleveled starter and other members in the party just to have hm slots or when I thought something looked cool when I got tired of looking at my starters back sprite. But nowadays I'm more conscientious of what mons I raise.

What is your method for building a team that fits your play style? Do you base them on types or stats? Do you have an ability or move focused team? Are there any types that's a must for You? 

My regular approach is fast attackers. I like to build a core of atleast 3 real heavy hitting mons, so almost all of my teams include a fighting, fire and water type. I've never really relied on defense until I started fan games where the difficulty is jacked. So for games like reborn,  I have 3 real fast but fragile heavy hitters, 1 or 2 bulky special attackers, and 1 gimmick Pokemon, i.e. a guts-facade strat or resto-chesto..etc. and if I have anavailable spot after meeting these quotas I put a good fairy type in if one of my members isnt fairy already.

So what is your go to approach for building teams?

I choose various types but only pokemon which look "cute" or "beautiful" xD (yah call me a superficial b*tch)

Fairy type is a most for me, because it has the most cute pokemons haha and besides it's a pretty nice type with high Sp Attack and Sp Def in general.

I haven't paid much attention to stats either, but choosing the best ability and moveset for each pokemon has been how I play the game so~

But I think if I'm not careful, I tend to end up with a high ratio of special attackers rip

My method of teambuilding is covered the previous mons weaknesses. For example, if Infernape is Fire/Fighting, then I'd look for a mon that is Water/Psychic (Slowking in this case). Sometimes, if I do a challenge run, I'll have two physical attackers, two special attackers, and one defensive mon and one special defensive mon. When it comes to competitive though, let's say...monotype, you have to know the ins and outs of the type you're using. You won't always win with a standard core if your type is flexible, but if there is other mons where you can make up a new strategy or tweak the old strategy a bit, then you should test it out and see if it works for you. I hope this helps.

I usually just use whatever I feel like, with the sole rule being that I'm only allowed one overlapping Type across the team- swampert and camerupt (Ground), crobat and roserade (Poison), and so on. Reborn and Rejuvenation are unique in that I've actually had to rotate a few team members as time went on, but what can you do?

I did have one Black 2 run where all the pokemon shared a Type with two others, so that they created a loop together, which proved to be pretty fun.

Lucario ->Steel ->Probopass ->Rock -> Crustle ->Bug ->Scolipede ->Poison ->Roserade ->Grass ->Virizion ->Fighting ->Lucario

I usually plan my Pokémon ahead of time with type coverage in mind for example have a grass type and then catch Pokémon like water type and electric type to cover the grass types weakness and then catch Pokémon to cover that Pokémon's weakness and so forth

Ex. Sceptile,Whiscash,Electrivire,Arcanine,Gardevoir,Crobat

My method is usually revolve around having half my team as physical attackers and the other half special attackers. Another imporant method is making sure my mons can cover each other weakness for Ex: I have both Garchomp and Gyrados on my side with Gyrados as a flying type it would be unaffected by Garchomp's EQ and which will allow garchomp to hit Gyra major weakness: (Electric and rock types).

For Reborn, I started with Infernape and just wanted to fill the rest of my Team with Pokemon that I liked / was interested in using that didn't share the Fire or Fighting Typing with it. First, I found Budew through the Peridot Ward Event. Then, I trained a Biberal and traded it away for an Abra (Old Version) [Event now gives Litleo]. I caught a few filler Pokemon, such as Raticate, in order to help me stand up to Julia and Florinia. Then, I got Marill from the Jasper Ward Event and Mareep from the Jasper Police Station (Old Version) [Mystery Egg is given by Jasper Police and Mareep is 100% Event in Jasper]. Then, I found a Ground Type in Donphan and my Team was complete! 

. . .That was until X and Y came around and two Pokemon interested me. First, Diggersby piqued by interest because of Huge Power and Swords Dance. Also,it would form the "Double Bunny" Core with Azumarill. Malamar also interested me because of Contrary and Topsy Turvy, and later it truly showed its worth because of Topsy Turvy creating the Inverse Field.

My Reborn Team can be found in my Signature.

For Rejuvenation, I wanted the Types of my Pokemon to mirror the Types of my Reborn Pokemon due to Rejuvenation receiving inspiration from Reborn. However, I ended up leaving one Type (Dragon) out of the mix due to Typhlosion being amazing. My Rejuvenation Team can also be found in the signature.

In short, I build my Team simply by using Pokemon that I personally like while making sure that none of their Types overlap. If the Pokemon I use aren't very commonly used, that's a bonus!

I'm an extremely casual player. As such, I mainly like catching what I think looks strong. However, whenever I do create a team, I generally make sure to have a water/fire/grass core. My Reborn team is strange in that regard, as it doesn't have a fire type. Still, it helps me create a more balanced team.

Also, if Mudkip is available, I almost always go for that. Not only is it my favorite ever, but it's extremely easy to build a team around.

Hi there. I personally like to have a well put together team with nice synergy and what not, for Reborn specifically I find the semi-powerful bulky pokemon like Tangrowth for example are very good, Tangrowth having high Special Attack + high Defense makes it great, I also as a past player of Reborn like to foresee the pokemon I'll be facing if I'm on a second run for example then I would think I will run into a lot of Poison and Dark types early on, so get pokemon that are good/tolerable to those types. 

As far as overall tea building goes I like Regenerator Cores, super-offensive pokemon are always fun, but they can't be too frail. Water-Fire-Grass or Fairy/Dragon/Steel type cores for your team are very nice. Having a good balance of bulky/tanky pokemon + offensive pokemon is always a great way to team build, but if we're talking purely about Reborn, then I personally dig Bulky semi-powerful pokemon.

They're pretty much set before i even beggin any game. I only use reptile, amphibian,dinosaur,dragon pokemon. I make a few exceptions for a handful of pokemon. I try to always have 9+ different types on hand,and many mons in rotation to cover everything. I like poison and ground types mostly so i got many of them. All of them, i use as sweepers, though some of their movesets might be a little more versatile. Also excluding thick club marowak, and breloom i never use mons with less than 480 bs. For some reason most of them are physical attackers, although it's not a consient decision. Might not be the best team building strategy, but i enjoy it since i only use mons whose designs i like.

• 2 weeks later...

What I try for is a mix of types, with a fire-water-grass set and a psychic/ghost-dark-fighting set, frequently mixing types to get both of these in as few mons as possible. For instance, in my current reborn run I have Blaziken as the fire/fighting and Shiftry covering grass and dark. Sometimes I'll sub grass for an electric type though. I also always include a Pokemon with thunder wave, spore, or stun spore, in order to catch Pokemon cheaper. In addition, I try to keep to a balance of physical and special, ever since a run of X where Iron Defense Torkoal threatened to stall out my whole team.

Lastly, I'm always (in games as hard as reborn) building with an eye towards what that towards what my prospective recruit is going to kill. For instance, I'd never use Graveler under normal circumstances, but I know I can use him to tank one of Shade's Chandelure's attacks and KO with one its powerful ground or rock moves. 

On the other hand, I know I won't need a water or grass type before Shelly in Reborn, due to the prevalence of grass, electric, poison, and bug types early on, so I tend to leave those until later.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:28 PM, Filthy Casual said:

Also, if Mudkip is available, I almost always go for that. Not only is it my favorite ever, but it's extremely easy to build a team around.

Same except my favorite pokemon is Treeko but if I'm able to get a mudkip I almost always add it to my team because of the same reason

Might as well chime in since this thread was revived.

If a Pokemon has base stats lower than 500, I generally rule them out unless I desperately need a certain type for coverage.

Despite Pokemon evolving as a game since the days of Pokemon Red, to this day I go for a balanced team and just brute force my way through the game. Every time I catch a new Pokemon I look up its base stats to see if its worth training. Over the course of a game my team develops, and usually there is one type that I have an issue with. Usually most of my Pokemon are weak to water or Ice and I find myself crippled if my electric type dies, so I raise a new Pokemon to prevent the possibility of getting rolled over by a certain trainer type.

However, Pokemon in general is a pretty easy game and if I hit a wall during a battle, I find that just buffing my Pokemon to Godhood with X items literally beats any trainer.

For Reborn, I have pretty much raised three Pokemon of every type since team building is a big part of this game and I enjoy it. Definitely wish there were more good Poison types with access to a proper move pool though.  

• Veterans

Just cool shit I like. Ever since E17, Garchomp has been on all but one of my runs, as it's my absolute favourite Pokemon and I really never get tired of using it. I try to go for -some- type balance  but it doesn't matter too much.

I'm pretty chill with team building, I like to do all dual-type pokemon and mostly I like to stick with Pokes from UU or OU, but for the most part, I don't go crazy with Natures, IV's and breeding stuff. 

However, in my next run I think I'll be focusing on natures a tad more unless it's a more rare pokemon I can sacrifice the time to breeding or encountering a mon multiple times for a good nature 🙂

Also repeating types is a big no no for me, like I'll never have two water types, makes the game more fun and easier in some ways, but also harder when you're up against say Charlotte hehe.