Off The Beaten Path: Where Love Lies [Written Run]

Commander

Ahem! Hello laddies and gentlemen who don't miss me. So most of you are probably aware of the fact that I have a run of Rejuv going on in the forums already and well...I feel it's kind of grown a little stale due to the low comment count...I'm just messing with you guys. I know I'm not going to have too many people wanting to listen to me especially in the Blacksteeple section (especially because I'm not actually funny there at this point) but that actually takes a lot out of you due to a lot of issues. I'm not canceling the run so no worries on that. I'm a firm believer of seeing things through and try to as long as I can. I actually considered just summing up my thoughts on this side project but I'm actually impressed with this so I'm doing kind of a mini run.

I kind of had two options when doing this: The first was to simply make a new post to separate it out from the first one. The second was to make some intermission chapters. I'm not going to sugar coat that I made a separate thread to attract more readers. Another big thing is that I feel that there's not a really good place to really see rather or not you might like this or check it out. I also really do feel this little adventure deserves some showcase and despite not being at V10's areas, I don't really care to be spoiled a little bit because I need it. So let's get started:

Episode I: I Kenneth Say What's Happening

First I want to say that 80% of my complaints about Rejuv are gone here. Even if you aren't a fan and really dislike Rejuvenation, I really recommend at least trying this as it's different in a good way and it's pretty short...unless your me who can take 5 hours on a 1 hour segment. And yes, I will be screencapping everything. Fun fact: The screencap total for chapter 1 of this segment is half of Blacksteeple's and I didn't cut anything out of that. So don't expect a really long playthrough. Also, I'll link this to my run in the first page so no worries about it being completely lost.

capture000.png

(Well this is a good test of my memory)

It's been 6 years since I last played FRLG and if I remember right, there actually wasn't a beach on four island but just stairs leading to a pier. It's very similar but a tad bit different with some touch-ups and I must say it does look kind of nice. I know those rocks weren't part of the FRLG tilesets but I remember being able to walk along the beach on most islands so I'm guessing it was the same in the original. Let's see how well my memory is:

300px-Four_Island_FRLG.png

I actually knew which Island this was but I didn't quite remember it exactly. I must say you can really tell the quality differences and how far we've really come since the Gen III days. I guess there was a beach. The islands are the hardest things for me to remember in FRLG since I usually just skim that section.

capture001.png

(Why is my Lucario shiny?)

This is a me thing, but I kind of hate Shiny Pokemon. I really don't think they show be showcased or even scripted in but that's just me. It's just the Shiny Gyarados syndrome where it's really cool idea then you realize it doesn't mean much since it's available to everyone.

capture002.png

(This kid is 8 years old and already a playah...I hope it's the kid)

capture003.png

(Nope...it's the fat guy...creepo. Thankfully we have a cop right within the group...or future cop)

Can I have these guys instead for my inmates? They seem more interesting and not slam my head into the desk from the torture. No? Okay.

capture004.png

(I'm pretty sure that was the guy I always pinned the blame on. I gotta rep to keep with my long hair flapping in the wind with my youth to show)

capture005.png

(Ladies and gentlemen for the first time in over 3 years, a playable protagonist in Rejuv actually talked)

capture006.png

(........I like him already)

capture007.png

(I just did though)

capture008.png

(Now I understand why this guy wanted to leave in the first place)

capture009.png

(Is this one of those I'm traveling to become champion cliche Pokemon stories?)

capture010.png

(And my father is disappointed in me just like in real life)

capture011.png

(Okay Nino incarnate)

Not sure if I made the joke or not but if I call Kenneth ponytailed youth, it has to do with Xenogears which relates to this comic:

Spoiler

tumblr_nhzlsvLzeq1tgdeago5_1280.jpg

I tend to make jokes and references to old games and reference them a lot. Most of them will probably go over your head, but for the ones that don't, I salute you. Speaking of that game and any of you people reading this who have played it, I really recommend trying Xenogears or Mother 3 out because they are written in a similar style with the humor similar to chapter 1 (Xenogears pretty much is just this but better) and really a great game...as long as you don't take religion all that serious or get offended by it. Kind of funny how so little people have tried that game yet love the stories and style of this and Reborn. Did I mention I get off topic more than anyone else on Reborn?

capture012.png

(Oh good I have to spend a whole game with I Pokemon I absolutely love)

Most of my hatred stems from Lucario replacing Mewtwo in Smash and the fact that the one time I tried it out when I was a wee lad, it sucked and I really didn't like it so it became an HM slave. I don't hate it as much now, but I don't particularly care for it either. I'm more of a defensive player who'd actually rather have a Pokemon who can take a few more hits in exchange for a little bit weaker offensives.

I cut out the Luca's from Lucario in case something seems off in the dialogue. Btw since I can't rename the Lucario, I'm just going to refer to her as Gelica. It's a female Lucario and honestly kind of looks like Gelica.

capture014.png

(It was at this moment Kenneth knew he effed up)

capture015.png

(Kenneth, run to the ship buddy before it's too late)

capture017.png

(Hey she has a unique sprite as well. That probably means she's a recurring character)

capture018.png

(This one might need some explanation but we'll save that in a minute)

capture019.png

(......I would like to test this notion)

capture020.png

(And anyone who played Rejuv knows that's probably not true...then again, that's kind of true for a lot of people)

I'm not sure on the average of people who keep ties to their families but I think it's actually going up. That's a long mess of a discussion so we're not going to get too into it. I hope he at least called or sent letters once in a while.

capture021.png

(Biggest lie most protagonist make)

capture022.png

(That's too hard of a name to remember so we'll just call him Dean...or Dega. I like Dega better)

capture023.png

(I'm not sure what language mijo is for. It might be Spanish as if I remember right hijo is brother so I think it means son. Someone feel free to correct my likely horribly wrong assumption.)

capture024.png

(...Why do I have a feeling he's in for a spanking?)

capture025.png

(If I see that one more time, his name will be changed to Kenino)

capture026.png

(Is that a sarcastic "enough already" good-bye or a "I'm gonna miss you" good-bye? It's so hard to tell)

capture027.png

(FREE STUFF! That's the best. Grandpa is the best character confirmed)

capture028.png

(5 poke it's a playlopunny magazine collection)

capture029.png

(Aww, she's so sad)

Oh boy, what a lot to digest for a 2 minute sequence. First thing I missed which is such a nice detail is that the mother had tears in her eyes before covering her face. I'm not going to say this is a masterpiece, but this right here is exactly how to do a scene correctly and why I hate silent protagonists. This scene could've worked with a silent protag, but it wouldn't have been as effective and hold less substance. Now let's talk about the mother and why it's the best part about this. We aren't told why he didn't tell his mother but we understand why. It's either because he was afraid she'd convince him to stay or that it'd break her heart which I'm going more on the later judging by the last pic. These are 2 dimensional characters as well, but they actually felt more alive then the main cast of Rejuvenation because we're not being drowned with explanations and just let the scene play itself out. Very little was explained but we still have a very good idea despite it not being said.

Oh this is one small little criticism which is honestly very, very minor. There's events where scenes will play out where the top and bottom of the screen have black lines signifying a scene taking place. Sometimes it's there and sometimes it isn't or disappears after movement is done. I'd actually prefer if all scenes kept the black lines as it gives it that clip scene feel. I'm not sure if this is a change in the V10 version. And as for the menu, I'm not a big fan of the change. I preferred the simple design as it's way easier to customize, but it's not that big of an issue to me. I'm also experiencing a weird BGM glitch where the tracks become very staticy and out of sync in the overworld. It could be my new windows 10 computer or my "antivirus" system causing that issue. No idea if anyone else experienced this yet or not.

capture030.png

(I've spent most of my life working as a detective...wait, wrong game)

I kind of would have liked to see no ... and his full name. Not a big issue but just tastes.

capture031.png

(Who are totally not into each other or something)

capture032.png

(One of which is an ass. I won't say which though)

capture033.png

(And now I must tell you my dark and edgy backstory like any good protagonist would)

capture034.png

(He was the perfect dad like any protagonist's dad who isn't evil is)

capture035.png

(Because I want to be awesome just like my totally way too perfect dad)

capture036.png

(And that was back when I thought heads were designed to smash through walls. Ah, those were the good times)

capture037.png

(Like beating up children for their money, enslaving a fox man thing to obey my every command, and wear sunglasses because have you seen the sun in Sevii. Also 'cause sunglasses are cool)

capture038.png

(Basically, I did everything my older brother was too lazy to do as no chore was worth a woman's wrath)

capture039.png

(Even though I'm being controlled and voice by the coolest, most talented trainer in the world....Morgan Freeman)

capture040.png

(Which we will represent by using the Sinnoh Mt Cornet backdrop with a different color scheme...no wait we're not doing that. This is original and creative content)

capture041.png

(Mostly because my grandpa wouldn't shut up about it)

capture042.png

(He also believe he served in their military fighting off some weird black guys who could fly. He has...issues. And besides, who'd be dumb enough to believe people can fly. Next you'll tell me people have teleportation powers)

capture043.png

(Because edgy protagonists can only have dark and depressing dreams. One time, I dream where this creepy red haired scientist had a crush on me. Even crazier is that I had an Afro. Ponytailed life is the only life for me)

capture044.png

(Because dark edgy protagonists get triggered like that. Something about foreshadowing or whatever. Look, I'm just trying to be cool.)

capture045.png

(What is this? Persona 3?)

capture046.png

(Men can cry, okay. And I'm not crying...thinking about this. Leave me alone. Mommy, I need you to tell the judging people to leave me alone)

capture048.png

(That's probably because he's salty I whoop his butt in video games. I got that hand-eye coordination)

capture049.png

(It's all because life's meaningless and then we die. And the fact that my Lucario dies to wild Delibirds in that cave)

capture050.png

(Because being an adult makes you mature...even though I feel no difference other than a sudden fear of becoming fat)

capture051.png

(I could've said 14 years, but a decade sounds more edgy)

capture052.png

(Mr. Blakeory sounds like a wonderful man who has a wonderful daughter who I'm sure some foreign guy who lived in Reborn will have a wonderful time with in the future)

capture053.png

(And this totally didn't sound like a shady business plan that'd probably trick people into becoming slaves because that's never happened in history before)

capture054.png

(And it totally doesn't sound cliche or something like an obvious evil villain plan...nope it looks legit)

capture055.png

(But it doesn't matter since it's for a good cause)

capture056.png

(Mostly because it was something other than Professor Oak's voice. You aren't my dad so you can't tell me I can't use something)

capture057.png

(I also basically was in the same position as a broke college kid so...it was a win-win situation)

capture058.png

(Also because I got denied from Kanto University. Something about not being a competent battler. Those Kantians suck)

capture059.png

(I also took a moment of pause to sound more dramatic despite everyone knowing what I was about to say)

capture060.png

(Suddenly, my heart is lifted due to all the darkness being lifted. It feels as though I may be destined for a great time here)

capture062.png

(Though I'll only help if there's a reward for compensation. Can't do heroic deeds for free? I gotta eat, sleep, and buy potions)

capture063.png

(This excitement is crushing the dark essence that is my soul)

capture064.png

(Gelica is looking straight into my soul and sees...nothing.)

capture065.png

(So rough that it made a night in prison look like a beach episode)

capture066.png

(I'm a broke "not college" kid. My stuff consists of ramen noodles and a book Edgar Allen Poe wrote)

capture067.png

(I said in a timid voice, but in reality I was trying not to laugh at the squeaky voice of the captain)

capture068.png

(And before I stepped off, I remembered I forgot my grandpa's magazines)

capture069.png

(They were much too important to be forgotten so I began searching for them)

But first let's take a look at Gelica

capture070.png

(You know, this shiny sprite has grown on me...)

And for those who don't know this is the character I named her after:

Spoiler

hqdefault.jpg

Now all we need is a motorcycle and they could be best buds.

capture071.png

(And...this looks a little too familiar)

capture072.png

(Way too familiar)

I'm not sure if Jan got the idea from me or not, but I actually did make scripts to silently add Pokemon in and showed how to define all the attributes. I'm not sure if gender is locked, but I believe everything else is. The tabs need a little bit of updating, but it's no biggie tbh. And since this probably will be a guide to some people I'll just give you a run down of Lucario. Lucario is a mixed glass cannon. It has great stats, great typing, great speed with its only downside being its flimsy. At these low levels you won't be able to tell though. It's basically your only Pokemon for chapter 1 as well. As for move recommendations, I recommend keeping its base set until Swords Dance in which you can replace Detect with. Power-up Punch is a good move, but Lucario is a wee bit too frail to make good use of it and Poison Jab Detect can stall damage.

capture073.png

(One of these things is different from everything else)

I decided to kick up the challenge a little bit in which I'll restrict myself to set mode with no items. I know people in my normal run probably are a bit upset since I don't really showcase much or interesting strats all the time, but here we're going to make things interesting. I'm not really that good at Pokemon, but I'm pretty knowledgeable with standard RPG tricks so this shall be fun.

capture074.png

(Dammit let me finish talking and explain this stuff)

Okay we'll get out magazines now.

capture075.png

(Maybe the captain's name is Kenneth as well)

capture076.png

(I'm starting to think this is me being personified into a game...though he lacks the innuendos)

capture077.png

(Mom, the people are still judging me)

capture078.png

(Note where the egg went)

So if you're like me, you probably thought you could walk around to hatch the egg...well no. It's a key item so it doesn't work that way.

capture079.png

(Which means a Ditto somewhere got very lucky on that day)

capture080.png

(Whatever happened to that Red fellow thinking on that topic)

capture081.png

(So it's a pokemon that's in Kanto that can only be found on that island...hmmm...I know what it is)

It's...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

A Delibird

capture082.png

(Finally we're about to see something interesting)

And to that I respond with...

capture083.png

(Yep, we're ending it here)

Normally, I don't make episodes this short but this is a good stopping point and I got a bunch of stuff to do so...I'd rather get this out now. See you guys sometime next week...hopefully. And don't forget to like, comment, and subscribe

Woah, woah, woah, there! I was not expecting you to try and tackle this so soon! Where Love Lies focuses quite a bit on some of the reveals from V10 (starting at Ch. 2), so be forwarned on that front. I am curious about how it'll look to someone who hasn't gotten that far in the main game, though, so I'll leave it up to you to decide on what to do from here.

As for why Kenneth's lucario is shiny, well...

Spoiler

There's a guy from practically the beginning of the game who's main was a shiny lucario. It's not Jan being nice to us, it's them being true to what's already been established in the story.

There, I commented! Now where's that subscribe button?

You thought I would go through all of those spoilers just to find out the answer?! Well you're wrong! I was able to do it! MWAHAHAHAHA! But seriously, I'm happy to see you doing this as well. I haven't played V10 yet or this but I know I'm gonna enjoy this. Always love reading your stuff. :)

• 2 months later...
On 3/30/2018 at 7:40 AM, Autumn Zephyr said:

Woah, woah, woah, there! I was not expecting you to try and tackle this so soon! Where Love Lies focuses quite a bit on some of the reveals from V10 (starting at Ch. 2), so be forwarned on that front. I am curious about how it'll look to someone who hasn't gotten that far in the main game, though, so I'll leave it up to you to decide on what to do from here.

As for why Kenneth's lucario is shiny, well...

Reveal hidden contents

There's a guy from practically the beginning of the game who's main was a shiny lucario. It's not Jan being nice to us, it's them being true to what's already been established in the story.

There, I commented! Now where's that subscribe button?

The subscribe button decided to leave for his now job with a Gator.

Anyways, I'm not like super out of the know on what goes on in V10 as it's nearly impossible without someone mentioning or spoiling it such as the gym leader who I think was the old leader of Sheridan. I'd have to live under a rock to not see it.

As for the Lucario thing, I already made a joke about Kenneth being Keta so I already do kind of know and it's implied. Not really a spoiler but I actually think Jan didn't set the gender on Lucario which is fun.

On 3/30/2018 at 11:57 AM, J-Awesome_One said:

You thought I would go through all of those spoilers just to find out the answer?! Well you're wrong! I was able to do it! MWAHAHAHAHA! But seriously, I'm happy to see you doing this as well. I haven't played V10 yet or this but I know I'm gonna enjoy this. Always love reading your stuff. :)

By now you've probably played and beaten both V10 and this. Well at least Blacksteeple is out of the way. Thanks for the compliment and I hope you're excited to see our native bird friend hatch soon.

On 3/31/2018 at 1:52 PM, DemICE said:

Will the ponytailed youth ever be able to escape the dark room full of ambiguous magazines?

....Hmmm....well I'm sure he's enjoying himself nonetheless

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So before I begin with this chapter I've decided I'm going to let this be an interlude between chapters. While I'm not at Valerie, I really need this so we're doing it early, but Chapter 2 won't come out until Post Crawli....or when I lose my mind and need to work on this to feel better. Now back to Adventure!

Episode 2: Fresh off the Boat

capture084.png

(Gelica, we're gonna need more socks)

So after two months, the captain was tired of Kenneth's shenanigans and finally gave him the boot. So now our lazy protag needs to accomplish something.

capture085.png

(Can't say the same for myself though)

capture087.png

(Hopefully they have a department store)

What? The man needs his socks.

capture088.png

(Oh hey somebody who'll actually be super important and help us out)

capture090.png

(I just hope he doesn't kick us out of the city otherwise we're screwed)

capture091.png

(Why am I talking aloud? I sound like that weirdo guy with silver locks)

capture092.png

(Gelica, don't give me that look. All strangers are friends)

capture093.png

(I don't remember Gelica being...you like him, don't you? I won't say anything if you won't)

capture094.png

(Is smoking illegal? If it is, I'm gonna have to report you because you're on fire)

Oh god! Is Kenneth's Lucario going to bring all the boys to the yard?

capture095.png

(I'm gonna call you Smokes. Thanks, Smokes)

capture096.png

(Under construction? Yes, yes it is)

capture097.png

(Gotta help the orphaned children in need)

capture098.png

(...even though they'd all probably be adults by now)

capture099.png

(Smokes ain't wanting to put up with this)

capture100.png

(Kenneth is a natural born leader)

capture101.png

(So it's like EA's practices)

capture102.png

(Well when you're a desperate college student, an end result like this isn't surprising)

capture103.png

(I see the rocks, but where's the rolls)

capture104.png

(And then Kenneth realized his life as a special snowflake was over)

capture105.png

(I mean a big city brings in traffic which brings in revenue so...I guess it is helping in a way)

capture106.png

(Shady business practices to get people into slave labor...I love this place already)

capture107.png

(I'm sure he's a really nice and understandable man)

capture108.png

(Gelica, you better not screw this up)

capture109.png

(Well it can't be any worse than prison)

capture110.png

(Maybe it wasn't a good idea to read those magazines for two months. I don't really feel all that good. At least the grunts help alleviate the pain)

I'm trying. My humor is as flat as team Xen right now.

capture111.png

(Oh god. Please no more magazines)

capture112.png

(Wait, when did I win Miss Aveium?)

capture113.png

(Good. Now how do I turn it off? What do you mean I can't?)

capture114.png

(Smokes, I'd ask why I need this but something tells me I really don't want to)

capture116.png

(Except it's not really lemonade...it's apple juice)

capture118.png

(As my grandad always said, "Don't look a gif horse in the mouth")

capture119.png

(Smokes is embarrassed...aww)

capture120.png

(Where do they even get that many Itemfinders?)

capture121.png

(...I can with my fists of Nick fury)

capture122.png

(Who knew being beautiful came with benefits?)

capture124.png

(It's not like they anything better to do)

capture126.png

(Personally, I just play a bit of FEH)

I'm not actually sure if people actually do this anymore but sometimes I've seen workers play with cards. Card games are a pretty good past time if you're bored and your breaks aren't very long. If I was good at shuffling cards I'd probably play more of them.

capture127.png

(I like keeping both of mine in thank you very much)

capture128.png

(Ah to be young again. Stupid and ignorant of the world. Good times!)

Wait...what do you mean nothings changed since then for me?

capture129.png

(Deagan the Vegan who's sometimes called Meangan)

capture130.png

(I GOTTA BELIEVE!)

capture131.png

(Now after me: Luca! Caro! Luca! Caro! Punch! And Kick!)

capture132.png

(Says the guy who's job is just to stand there and do nothing)

capture133.png

(And have no regrets)

capture134.png

(It's called a job. We do more than asked for half the value)

capture135.png

(The Plutie is strong in this one)

capture136.png

(...Good job. Now you won't get paid. So smart. Much wow!)

capture137.png

(How do you even lose your...nevermind it was a spongebob episode)

capture138.png

(This guy must really like his job)

capture139.png

(My thoughts exactly)

So something I don't believe I mentioned is that in clipscenes the frame actually shrinks a little bit to focus in on it more. It's honestly a nice touch and I like it. I think a lot of games do it as the camera moves or twirls around. I think it was skipped over but it's so minor and this is a fan-game I'm not going to complain. Now cue the battle montage....oh forgot something

So I really like how Kenneth responds to stuff. Sure it's nothing significant but it's better than nothing. It's one of those nice touches that it makes seeing his responses to "important" npcs seem interesting. If you like that stuff, you'd love Legend of Heroes Trails in the Skies as that series has characters interact in all kinds of ways. XSeed did a fantastic job localizing it. It's just really hard to get into the first game since it's so easy and very basic gameplay compared to the others.

capture140.png

(And this guy is going to be named Dick)

capture141.png

(Gotta leave the Dick alone)

capture142.png

(Stay back! I have a shiny Lucario and I'm not afraid to use it!)

So these battles surely can't be that ba...

capture143.png

(I spoke too soon)

I'm still not a fan of the UI change but it remind me of something. I can't even think of what game the action screen it reminds me of.

capture144.png

(I think this is a different trainer)

capture145.png

(Bazinga baby!)

capture146.png

(Did you think I was a hacker or something with cheated level 1 mons?)

You can't actually get a level 1 Lucario legally...other than common candies

capture147.png

(And now for an actual rant)

I don't actually like that this thing is here. It doesn't really even need to be here technically. I actually would prefer if it didn't as then it'd make you think about using your resources and skills a little bit more wisely as while the workers aren't that strong, they do make you think about what you are doing. I think they are just right and we are just strong enough to easily overpower them. But this is here meaning I'm going to be cheap and not use my Lemonades.

Old school RPG tip though: many early games are actually pretty tricky especially with one character so sometimes it's a good idea to keep healing in the first house since it's usually free to grind your main guy's level up. That's kind of what I did here.

capture148.png

(And here's Greyson. Even if you have a different name, you're still Greyson in my eyes)

capture149.png

(I still prefer the word poison over that)

capture150.png

(Gotta pull a fast one here)

capture151.png

(That was anticlimatic for a very threatening mon)

capture152.png

(Because violence is always the answer)

So what are your thoughts on these battles, Gelica:

capture153.png

(That's what I thought)

Well at least this game has been pretty tame. No weird anime crap or...

capture154.png

(I may have spoken too soon)

capture156.png

(So you're sleeping while standing up. Also, it took you this long to realize that. That's wow...just...wow)

capture157.png

(Not sure if those are sideburns or a beard)

capture158.png

(Watch out! We got ourselves a badass here)

capture159.png

(I think I'm witnessing a drug deal...I should probably leave before the pull out the guns)

capture160.png

(Oh phew...I thought I was gonna need to pull out an overused joke/meme here.)

capture161.png

(Well the man does have all the power. That's half the reason I'm still on this piece of land even)

capture162.png

(I can't disagree with him there)

capture163.png

(I really should be videotaping this. Something tells me it'd come in handy in the future)

capture164.png

(What's so good about this?)

capture165.png

(SHIT! They noticed. We need to run like now, Gelica)

capture166.png

(Kids these days with their memes and edgy sayings. Back in my day...)

capture167.png

(Do you see me carrying a trumpet? Don't place me in with those obnoxious filth)

This is one of those jokes that will go over any non band geek's head. So basically trumpets in a band usually are the ones with an ego and usually like to blast or overpower everyone else. I could go into more band stereotypes but that's for another day and another time.

capture168.png

(At least he's not from Pallet Town)

capture169.png

(I'm a genwunner and proud of it)

capture170.png

(Too bad the woman is always right)

capture171.png

(So I googled what Chasity meant as it sounded familiar which I was thinking of chastity which...definitely is not what I thought it stood for)

capture172.png

(Oh boy it's a teenage band. We definitely are in the 90s now)

capture173.png

(Yeah, and I'm gonna be president.)

capture174.png

(I wonder if this is how Twisted Sisters was founded)

capture175.png

(Missing an apostrophe at the end there, Jan)

capture176.png

(I'm Avieum's most beautiful man, the pony-tailed youth and future president, Kenneth Krump)

My goal by the end of this run is to make a paragraph long title for him.

capture177.png

(Oh Kenneth, how little you know about suffering. Oh how little you know)

capture178.png

(That burn was so good it burned me out of a caption)

capture179.png

(For some reason, I think she likes me...though she has a boyfriend which means stay away...though Gelica could...)

capture180.png

(At least I have a promising future. And I prefer the title outdoorsman thank you very much)

capture181.png

(...You're alright. Though promise you'll never talk me again and we be cool)

capture182.png

(Glad we're on the same page)

capture183.png

(And right here you witness a protagonist using intelligence. Consider yourself lucky, mate, as you rarely see such a magnificent display)

capture184.png

(Good luck on your career, Jenniper Lopez)

So this scene is a lot more entertaining to watch as it's very animated. Dialogue isn't amazing but it really works well here. It's just weird unless you watch the scene itself which is for a good laugh which is what this scene is about. Remember how I said that this side story does a lot of things I complained about in the normal game? If this was the normal game, Jenner and Chasity would give an explanation of who they are and why they are here and then talk about their dreams in the future and then explain who Jimmy is and then Jimmy's brother. It's short. Sweet. and moves on before it drags on.

capture185.png

(10/10 mapping right there but...IGN would give it a 7.8/10 for too much water)

capture186.png

(More roadblocks featuring Roderick Rollers)

capture189.png

(Poking a Scyther would be the last thing I ever do...isn't that slave labor?)

capture190.png

(I dunno. This place already looks to be way too big)

capture191.png

(I swear it's like Kenneth is doing my job...quit it)

capture193.png

(Oh hell no. Building one city is hell enough. Two? Hope he has an army...and a lot of sandwiches ready)

capture195.png

(And the East shall be rebuilt twice...for reasons nobody understands why)

capture197.png

(Kenneth is easily amused it seems. I'm totally not...HOLY SMOKES there's a guy washing windows behind me! I must watch and study his motions)

capture198.png

(This is why I don't have a camera)

capture199.png

(Hey there. I'm a psychic and I see you and me enjoying a nice chat at the cafe tomorrow)

capture201.png

(Ouch! Not even worthy enough to receive a rejection. I should've listened to my grandpa more)

capture202.png

(Now you answer me)

capture203.png

(Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that. What's with the dirty look, Gelica?)

capture204.png

(I'm kind of hungry maybe I should go...okay, Gelica! We'll go find a job first)

capture206.png

(Gelica, you have my permission to beat him up if he doesn't move in the next 10 seconds)

capture207.png

capture208.png

(I demand compensation for being tricked into this labor union)

capture209.png

(Every time I hear that last name, a chill runs down my spine for some reason)

capture210.png

(Wait I thought he was in charge. So the man above him is. Or is it below. I'm confused but if they give me a job I don't think it matters)

I think Mr. Blakeory is the Project manager and is in charge of anything that goes on in here. This manager is the manager who is in charge of his branch in a company or something. That wouldn't be surprising given that projects aren't usually run or maintained by the head honcho and someone below is usually more involved. But it'd basically be almost the same as talking to Blakeory in terms of power over the project.

capture211.png

(Hah! I told you we should've went to the cafe. We would've saved time)

capture212.png

(I wonder if they have free wi-fi. Gotta see what my peeps are doing back home)

capture213.png

(I wonder what that shop over there...Ouch! Okay, we'll get going. Why are you so mean, Gelica?)

capture214.png

(Why would I need luck when I'm overqualified for the job?)

And we're done...I mostly wanted to show this off to show you all the little details in the place as it really isn't a boring place to explore. I don't really even have any complaints or anything rant worthy here. It'll probably come to a surprise but I'm not actually normally like I am in Rejuv when playing games at all. So instead I do want to go into at least a few of the events that came about. I mean Totalbiscuit's Death, Xenogene's "Hiatus", Pokemon Let's Go, and Phoenix Rising's release all happened so close together. That's so much interesting news and discussion stuff and we're not even at E3.

I'll start with Xenogene as it's the most relevant. It's both a surprise and not a surprise as Zumi was trying to do so many things which can actually really drain you. I'm not even sure how she did it. Game making is like having a second job and it will feel like it at points. It's not my place to say whether or not it's truly dead but I've had projects sit for 5-6 years before picking them back up and working on them though I never really stopped, but I stopped the time consuming processes. Just the only little thing I'll say to Zumi and anyone else who read that: it's only a waste if you tell yourself it's a waste. A lot of good things came out of Xenogene as half the fun is the journey to a release and not the game itself. I didn't play or stick around Reborn due to the Reborn game.

That gets into the other bad but obvious news. I can't work on Redux like I used to. I don't mean like my willpower (which is still low) but something that I really kind of never mentioned but should have. My eyes have been slightly damage due to working on it in terrible light conditions along with working on a boatload of schoolwork. Please don't panic or anything because I can still see perfectly fine since I want from eagle eyes to normal vision give or take a few little problems. My eyes are still adapting to the change so I'd rather not push it until then. There's a lot of reasons that could cause this, but I know the mod was the most stressful on them. This is something that also started back in like November. Also fan-game making does not make you go upright blind before paranoia starts happening there as well. It happened. I'll probably focus more on other smaller projects like run until I figure out a better system...though it's not really a loss because it's not like I use my eyes anyways.

Now let's talk about those other games. I actually think Pokemon Let's Go looks to be very promising and kind of awesome. I actually see it ending up being really good because it still keeps the soul of a Pokemon game and what people really like about the games. Red, Yellow, and Blue are terrible games by today's standards yet it created a very popular series people love. I think people are too quick to judge...though I hope they make it at least worth that hefty price tag. If it's like 39.99, I'd probably buy it. #TeamPikachu4ever

Now we all know I don't play a lot of fangames, but I have at least try to play a little bit of a few. This is the only series I'm going to do a written run because it's way too much work to do a run like this for multiple games. I might try to play a fan-game here and there imbetween segments but we'll just have to wait and see. There's only 3 games that perked my interest though and Phoenix Rising really wasn't one of them. No offense to the devs, but it's not really what I'm looking for in a game.

yknow this is an example of a segment where for the most part you just wander around, but instead of bored, it actually turns out to be an enjoyable time spent.

>"isnt this slave labor"

...Well technically pokemon battling is also slave labor for the sake of entertainment.  As far as i'm concerned pokemon bonding with their trainer is most of the times a case of Stockholm syndrome.

>"(I wonder if they have free wi-fi. Gotta see what my peeps are doing back home)"

This line of yours prepared the ground for some later plot points xD I will come back to it when the time comes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 3:41 PM, DemICE said:

yknow this is an example of a segment where for the most part you just wander around, but instead of bored, it actually turns out to be an enjoyable time spent.

I'm pretty sure if Commander was a part of the Rejuv world, he'd be complaining about everything while taking pictures like the tourist he is. Anyways, I think it's good to show stuff that's not always episode focused and sometimes you discover some really cool things.

Back to Adventure!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Episode 3: Taelia all about it

The Pun..ch. are back baby and in style! I think that's how you pronounce her name. Not like a butcher everything already anyways.

So something I didn't go over before that I should have is Kenneth vs Melia. So sometimes I have to dig up the original term and proper meaning of stuff due to words being thrown around and pretty much losing all meaning. Mary Sue is one of those meanings. The best way to identify a Mary Sue is by seeing how the cast acts around that character. There's a reason why I emphasize character interaction which we all should get the point. I'll start with Kenneth as we see a boy adventuring into a new land looking for his way and all the characters treat him like he's a newbie from the worker's "generosity" to Jenner's mocking of the Kantonian. It's not really a good lifestyle giving a bit of a "it's not bad but not good" kind of vibe to the place. Kenneth responds to this by being upbeat and a bit annoyed. He feels fresh and excited despite the torture he's going to go throw which is really realistic to what getting a new job is.

The player is unfortunately not the protagonist of Rejuv, but fills the role more of a supporting protagonist or deuteragonist depending on how the rest of the story pans out. This actually is not a bad thing at all and can bring in some interesting perspectives...unfortunately it works best if the character can actually talk since it's one that has more emphasis on thoughts. The mystery dungeon games kind of have the players in a role close to this. Not the point here other than saying not to write off a plot that uses it. So one important detail about Melia is that whenever she is on the screen the characters put a greater focus on her. Ren even tries to show off...which isn't a bad thing. Young Melia is just an okay character with a lot of bad writing decisions behind her to make her unlikable such as the power to teleport...which she couldn't use until absolutely necessary which conflicts with her lack of common sense. Most of the faults there have more to do with the player's position than what she did that makes it unlikable. Having special Pokemon doesn't really help....which I have no idea why that hasn't been removed.

So the moment after the player finds out she's not savable (again I don't know why that was added) is when she's completely dropped from the plot. Her best friends forget she even exists. No reflection upon the events and it's like it never happened. Venam got more serious when Melia was in...that's not the point. Now we get to Blacksteeple. Oh joy! So the thing about Xen is that they actually are pretty competent and smart only getting wrecked due to...other...why am I playing Rejuv again? Anyways, Xen was tactical enough to trap six pretty strong trainers with relative ease and put them in a near impossible situation of escape. They defeated people stronger than them. Let that sink in for a minute. It takes a lot of brains and training to do that. Neved was even one to mock Madelis's incompetence in Sheridan.

So now we get to Neved. Neved completely trust this girl who not only is hiding her identity, but fabricating a lie about how she got there which Neved knows she's lying about. He decides to "play" along and trust her purely due to her reminding him of his daughter. That actually isn't really a bad writing if Neved had a backstory where he thought he could've saved his daughter by letting her stand by his side in the terrorist organization or something. Basically he made a mistake and this he feels is a way to amend for it. That's not the problem. What is the problem is that he trusts her more than anybody else even telling her classified information which could actually get him killed or be considered a traitor. So this shady girl is so trustworthy he'd risk his life in a sense. Then the icing on the cake was the scene where Melia comes in and pretty much shifts the focus to her. The moment the player could have become a good protagonist is taken away. Madame X completely changes character and anyone who isn't talking about Melia is just a decoration for the scene then. That, my friends, makes her pretty much a Mary Sue. Not young Melia, but older Melia.

Why am I telling you this? There's a lot of character conversations here and I just want you to watch and compare them to those scenes with Melia. And yes, you can still like Melia even if most...I think most...people dislike her. Anyways, just watch how the conversations are handled and the dynamics between characters. It's half the reason I even considered doing a run of this in the first place. I need a drink after that rant:

capture215.png

(If you have beer, I'm all...oh right I'm broke)

capture216.png

(That hairstyle...could it possibly be?)

It seems the brotherhood of ponytails has made its course here as well. Anyone with a ponytail is okay in Kenneth's book.

capture217.png

(The magazines told me to lie but...I'm going with my gut)

I wasn't sure what the right answer was so I picked the funny one expecting Kenneth to land a few bruises.

capture219.png

(I hope she's not a fire type trainer otherwise "Great Balls of Fire" will have a whole new meaning)

capture220.png

(So dating sims can teach you something)

Doki Doki Literature Club does not count as a dating sim. I think the last dating sim I played was like 16 or something years ago...unless we count that game. I did get If My Heart Had Wings for fr...I really need to grow some dignity.

capture221.png

(So President Miss Aevium, Casanova and Ponytailed Youth Kenneth scores big here)

I really need to write the title down. Eh, maybe I'll let this joke die...though the bench never shall.

capture222.png

(The only thing rough here is...Gelica's Bark)

capture223.png

(That butt must be made of steel then. Something...Something...Keijo)

capture224.png

(I'm not)

capture225.png

(One of the few RPG characters who understands real life)

capture226.png

(Name's Kenneth Jones and this is my buddy Gelica)

capture227.png

(Sevii Islands. Yes, they are different)

Though I guess someone would say they are from America when visiting a foreign country, but wouldn't you say Japan then...Poke lore is confusing.

capture228.png

(I don't know how far that is...)

So assuming Orre is Arizona, Reborn is either California or Mexico. Seeing the condition of the place, I'm leaning on Mexico. What? How else would you explain the rare candies there. So based on the geography of Aevium, we're just gonna assume it's something like Iceland. That's the only thing I know that fits off the top of my head. How many islands do you know that shift from tropical to freezing?

capture229.png

(Baby, you're more interesting than a 3 month trip in prison)

capture230.png

(When you're in the ponytail cult, I guess Kenneth is normal)

capture231.png

(I think I found my soul mate. Yes, I understand so well)

capture232.png

(Are those the tiles from Neo Reborn...no, just focus on the game at hand, Commander)

capture234.png

(I'm not sure. That guy with the Scythers was giving me a dirty look)

capture235.png

(Don't believe her. All women are liars)

capture236.png

(Please get in my way more. I can bear you.)

capture237.png

(Now serving to old men everywhere)

capture238.png

(Oh hey, I forgot all about him. His name is Roger, right?)

capture239.png

(I was horribly off. Who names their kid Keith?)

Sorry to all the Keith people reading this. I just never would want a name that rhymes with Thief.

capture240.png

(Keith Dye the business guy)

capture242.png

(Nice meeting you random guy who doesn't look like a computer nerd from my home region)

capture243.png

(I am all for that, crazy lady...but crazy in a good way)

capture245.png

(Yes. You guys are a-holes for tricking people into construction work and not coll...who am I kidding? I'd flunk out of school)

capture246.png

(Like when do I get paid?)

capture247.png

(Wrong game, bro. Fiorre is on the opposite side of the world)

capture249.png

(So far you've been doing a terrible job. Took 3 months just to get here)

capture250.png

(I'm starting to think this guy is a thief. Thief Keith...that sounds rad)

capture251.png

(And...asshole of the century goes to...)

capture252.png

(That does sound better than the cardboard box)

I don't think I mentioned I really did have to use a cardboard box as a desk for two weeks with an air mattress for a bad. My back killed from that experience.

capture253.png

(Well it would help reduce the poverty rate. This man me be onto something...)

capture254.png

(...He's gonna murder me, isn't he?)

capture255.png

(...Something tells me I won't be able to sit down after he's done with me)

capture256.png

(Meanwhile someone on a certain ship wishes he could trade places right about now)

capture257.png

(There's also one good person in anything)

capture258.png

(Whelp, there goes the kid friendly rating. Kenneth said a bad word)

capture259.png

(Note to self: keep Gelica far away from receptionists after this)

capture262.png

(Now I don't have to feel something piercing my back every time I stop)

I don't actually believe you can send a Pokemon back into their Poke Ball in the minisode or whatever you call it. Next episode we should get into a funny little glitch which is caused by this event tile here. It's not a very harmful glitch but it leads to something rather humorous. The not being able to retract a Pokemon doesn't really bother me. I do wish you could nickname the Pokemon though. I'm still going to give nicknames to all of them here.

capture265.png

(OH GOD! I was kidding about the butthole joke. I like my booty the way it is. Please do...wait. My name isn't Elizabeth)

capture266.png

(Kenneth, go back to your magazines and you'll understand)

capture267.png

(Keith doesn't want to explain where babies come to this guy)

capture268.png

(I'd like a house, money, and some food)

capture269.png

(We heard you the first time Keith...Kenneth...why are there names similar)

Normally, I'd make a comment about repeating himself, but since the exchange is so brief, it's not that big of an annoyance. Not going to say it was done effectively as there's plenty of ways to say the same thing without saying it, but that's asking a lot from...I'm not saying Rejuv's writing is...we know exactly what I'm saying here. There's a reason I don't play fan-games.

capture270.png

(Why do we need to hear this 4 times again?)

capture271.png

(We even had this conversation three times. Twice from Keith and once from the worker)

So sometimes in long RPGs writers think their audience is...stupid for lack of a better word and sometimes have a scene that's "Okay, let's go over the mission again." There's a reason why the leader of a group usually isn't the most liked character. Legend of Heroes Skies even makes a joke on this where the leader of the group gives a battle speech which was pretty much "Fuck it! Let's go!" It's all about pacing in that scenario though. The best rule of thumb is if it doesn't play an importance in that scene, leave it out. Seriously, where were these rants in the last episode?

capture272.png

(And cue the audience nap time signal)

capture273.png

(Even Keith acknowledges he's repeating stuff)

I...that's better saved for the end of this episode honestly.

capture275.png

(Pretty sure Kenneth hasn't heard the concept of student loans)

So Commander finally gets to do his job and explain stuff. Basically, people want people to take their money as a loan. For you future students out there, avoid taking as many loans as possible unless they have 0 interest. While you have more money in your hand now, you basically are giving a company more money than they value it. And if you're borrowing that money, you most likely don't have the money to pay it all back exactly. Imagine an entire country in that situation. Blackwell would have a steady income that'd let him invest in many projects which would be mostly aimed at attracting immigrants into the country. The citizens now are basically poor and are going to remain poor due to debts. It's a cruel but probably the most successful route to reviving a dead country. Building Gearen City is the smartest plan of action but obviously the least moral from false advertisement. Definitely better tactics to handling this.

capture276.png

(You're looking at them, Kenneth)

capture277.png

(Oh boy, rant incoming)

capture278.png

(While Kenneth shouldn't be the one questioning stuff here, it's my job to)

That's not how economical growth works. Well it is possible, but things just don't magically make a place grow. It's just like successful and good video games don't just come out of the blue. You don't see the next Undertale come out every year. The next Harry Potter doesn't just show up. The key to this success he's talking about is interest (pun not intended) and tastes. Even if something is absolutely fantastic and solid, it could be a failure.  If you normally ignore my rants, this may be one to read up on because it is an honest wake up call I think most people can't wrap there heads exactly on. You see people always skew left or right on this subject.

Being successful is hard. It takes hard work and most of us will spend 16 years in schooling just to get to what we feel is a successful path. Some industries are harder than others, but let's just go with the writing field. You have to have a good presentation when even getting published which really grinds down to the publisher how many ideas they throw out and not accept. Let's just say they only use 1 out of 20 just for an example. And with that let's say we have a hundred books. Only a single one of those will be considered a great sensation or sell super, super well while 20 or so will be considered successful enough. The people really enjoyed that book which there isn't always a rhyme or reason but just that it really hooked people's interest. This guy is stating that this 1 in a 2,000 chance always seems to happen. It doesn't. Even some really good ideas or really great projects can flop even when there's nothing wrong with them.

I would've liked seeing a bit more of a plan over "it'll fix itself" because no it won't. If I was doing a review of this I wouldn't knock for one minor detail that didn't make sense because it's not a focus and more like an answer to a simple question.

capture279.png

(By the time I get to this end of this chapter in real time they'll have a whole country built)

capture280.png

(Don't you guys have enough apartments to...oh yeah there's nothing to do in this place)

capture281.png

(I never noticed that orange paper in the background until now)

capture282.png

(Mostly because I have no job and no way home)

capture283.png

(I have a Lucario...I can handle them)

capture284.png

(Pretty sure one of those...oh wait in the past. That's probably really expensive)

capture285.png

(I think that's a map based on Hoenn from the looks of it...though it could be Kanto and Johto)

capture286.png

(It's brown and...did you spill coffee on this map?)

capture287.png

(A village is not a town. This is the kind of guy who'd mistake a cult for a religious group. There's a difference)

capture288.png

(Still better info dumps than anything in Rejuv)

capture289.png

(....Did it get burned down by bandits...I have got to stop making FE references)

capture290.png

(Maybe an old man lives out there waiting for a half naked boy to wake up)

capture291.png

(Something tells me nature would fight back and kill him if he tried that)

capture292.png

(If it was turned into a resort, so many problems would have been solved)

Just going to put a what if situation up as if this did happen, Team Xen wouldn't have built a base there which would have given them enough time to complete Shadow Mewtwo and the player wouldn't have had a target on their back like they had. I actually don't think anything in the plot past Amethyst cave would've happened other than maybe Venam dying since they player had no reason to head back to Gearan. So this whole mess kind of was Kenneth's fault in a way.

capture293.png

(He's a Link at heart)

capture295.png

(I thought you said no life...I'm not going to ask how or why he knows there's no life)

capture296.png

(Don't quit your job...it'll look bad on your resume)

Skipping the dialogue about him getting security called up

capture301.png

(Kenneth about to be handled by some strong, muscular men)

capture302.png

(It's supposed to be an m and not an n. Slight error, but easily forgivable)

capture303.png

(Why do I have the feeling Kenneth wasn't his first?)

capture304.png

(Wow this guys are aggressive. They make Mongols look like priests)

capture305.png

(If this is him being nice, I don't want to see him being mean)

capture307.png

(If this weren't an anime, he'd be in the hospital for that)

Yeah...this cliche is...not very realistic but it does happen. Most of the time it's merely escorts if someone complies because carrying someone out like that can dislocate something if you aren't careful. It is 150 pounds you are carrying around which certainly isn't light.

capture309.png

(This gravely is a symbolism of your situation. It's dirty with some parts missing)

Not going to make assumptions but I don't think a lot of time was spent QA checking this place as you occasionally have tile errors like this with no edges in place. Then again it could be an issue with using borrowed assets. Yes, it is illegal if you don't have the creator's permission. I'll talk about Nintendo properties in a minute, but if I had to guess fan-game makers who use assets from other fans without asking permission I'd take a guess of roughly 40-50% of them at the very least. I guess I could be counted in that pile for one song I used for the Hardcore mod, but if that person said something to me, I would take it down no question. Obviously, I know Jan has permission to use Ame's assets in his game as he has done for quite a number of places like here, but you can probably dig up a lot of games that don't.

Nintendo's property I have an odd stance on. I'm not going to throw you out the window for using them since most of these are just passion games...most, but we're in a much bigger gray area than most hacking communities are. I'm not going to dwell on the developer moral compass as that's something they should be aware of but more on the player compass. If you still support and buy nintendo products, I don't really see an issue with it, but there's always a price when playing fan-games which isn't money, but time. While I enjoy a fan-game here and there, I so much prefer the RPG experiences made by experienced developers which one of those could take longer than 3-8 hacks and fan-games. One full game experience that cost 29.99 could bring me more enjoyment than 5 free games that I only thought were meh. Fan creations are definitely good at tiding people over until the next big game comes out. If you learn to balance it out, then waiting on games pretty much becomes a nothing.

I waited 8 years for the announcement of a Vesperia port for the better edition of it. If any of you complain about a game taking too long, just remember that. Also if you're bored and feeling impatient, just do a run like this. It's both a stress reliever and good practicing to get back into good writing habits. V9 just came out when I started working on this run. Waiting times become a noth...Reborn is already nearly 70% done. Geeze...kind of funny how the game probably only has a year and a half development time left. It's even weirder that I'll have a degree and likely a job when I first learned about this game in high school...what was I? Oh, run.

capture310.png

(Least you can enjoy a nice meal of dirt down there)

capture311.png

(This kid watches way too many cartoons if he though that'd work...wait, how old is this guy anyways?)

I kind of picture Kenneth being a 16 year old though that could be Jan's style to write characters mostly in a teenage perception. I can't really blame him as I used to do that when I was younger. I still try to avoid making a main character younger than 12 though but my main age range is 16-28 when creating them. It doesn't matter that much as age is just a number. I do feel a lot of media made for children and young adults shoves out older folks from even being considered in a main cast. Funny when some very well recognized and well recieved characters are adults. All Might from Hero Academia, Kratos from Symphonia, Magus from Chrono Trigger, and Olivier from Trails in the Sky.

capture312.png

(You didn't even have a job in the first place)

capture313.png

(Maybe there's a bigger mystery on our hand...maybe Elizabeth murdered Mr. Blackwell. DUH! DUH! DUUUUUH!)

capture314.png

(Probably didn't want to pay another lazy ass worker)

So looking at the worker in the left corner you'll notice him moving. I can't help but think of the workers doing the YMCA dance now.

capture315.png

(Then where the hell does Jenner even live?)

capture317.png

(That...probably isn't a good idea given it's an ice type. You'd probably kill it)

capture318.png

(Kind of wish the egg was on the bench with them)

OMG! I just remembered in Paper Mario TTYD when you had the egg it'd follow you around with your party member. I absolutely loved that little touch. Also that chapter is my favorite in the entire paper mario/mario RPG games in the series.

capture319.png

(Never gonna give you praise...never gonna...)

capture321.png

(Finally we get to do something interesting)

capture322.png

(What happened to Aevium again? Was it a volcano eruption? Oh yeah, some kind of plague)

Keeping track of Rejuv's lore is almost as bad as following the Kingdom Hearts franchise. It's a headache to understand since the games keep dropping more questions over answers. I'm still gonna buy 3 because it looks like it's going back to KH2 styled combat which oh how long have I missed you.

capture323.png

(I wanna be where the people are)

capture324.png

(Those cardboard boxes seem nice and comfy)

capture325.png

(Maybe my piers will help me out)

capture327.png

(Oh boy, this doesn't sound good)

capture329.png

(Well, there was this girl who walked into a bar...)

capture330.png

(Is that man wearing purple? At least he's part of the pony-tailed cult)

capture331.png

(Why do I care about this again?)

capture332.png

(He's gonna die now, isn't he?)

capture333.png

(I am Jenner Dark!)

capture334.png

(Eh, it's not so bad. You just have to do chores and listen to nagging each day...but freedom is nice)

capture335.png

(He's not wrong)

capture337.png

(She's not wrong either)

Matthew kind of looks like a fabulous Bruno...give it time and you'll see it.

capture338.png

(Something...something....slave labor)

capture339.png

(He better have an armed weapon ready)

capture340.png

(Using the power of rock and roll)

capture341.png

(If she's a Yandere, that guy is a goner)

capture342.png

(The only way to make this scene better is if that worker had a bag of popcorn)

capture343.png

(It isn't actually a bad deal, but not a very good one)

capture344.png

(Gelica shielded Kenneth's eyes from such a gruesome scene)

capture345.png

(They seem friendly to me)

capture346.png

(Oh good one of the three roadblocks in this chapter are gone...wait there are 5 roadblocks. Forgot about the locked door and counter lady)

capture347.png

(Probably only has one room)

Man, I'm remembering Luigi's Mansion now. That was such a fun and short game worth playing.

capture348.png

(Wouldn't there be workers trying to deconstruct it as well?)

capture349.png

(Gelica has a fear of ghost types...they are immune to her)

capture350.png

(This definitely doesn't look the way I remember it)

For any Rejuv player, is this an identical mansion to the third gym badge segment or any previous versions or something new?

capture351.png

(Maybe there's a bowling alley in there somewhere)

capture352.png

(President Miss Aevium Kenneth Jones, ghost buster is on the case)

capture353.png

(I wonder if there are fish in that pond)

And that's about it for this episode. Right now I just don't have much to talk about as it just meets my expectations on many aspects like dialogue, exploration, and transitions. When looking back at it, it's not as good as I initially thought, but standstills really don't show the dynamics of these scene. Now from a Pokemon or even Rejuv standpoint this stuff really stands out and might be really good. But I tend to think of things from an RPG standpoint which makes this...well this is to be expected. It's really hard to pull anything from this or go into a lot of detail. I played a little Hyperdimension Re;Birth 1 and I could make a bloody essay about the good and the bad about that game. This you just have an interesting place to walk around which feels like a hub world, the idea of individualization and a likable protagonist, and a bit of over the top humor. It's like going to a restaurant and ordering a glass of water. You get what you want, but it's just that. I can only talk about the glass of water for so long before it sounds like something else. The other issue is that I'm just used to seeing everything like this and it's just second nature. You don't talk about how water tastes because water doesn't taste like anything. You can't really talk about the color since there is no color. Maybe I'll go more into this with the next episode.

Also somebody save me. Black Heart keeps crushing my hopes and dreams.

wrt mansion: Yes, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the same.

wrt Melia, there's general spoilers in here but I've double spoiled everything that's past the end of Blacksteeple where your other playthrough is

Spoiler

Spoiler

The shiny thing is one of her abilities as being some sort of special chosen one hero of light or something?

Also most of what I say below is... it might not be how the story ends up, but the first time you really get a hint that the PC is important is when you get to Grand Dream City, which is 10 badges in. Up until then you've spent a lot of time on a wild goose chase for Melia and Nim and all this other crap, constantly getting upstaged by Crescent and others. The Interceptor thing is interesting but it comes so late and you can only really see the seeds of it if you replay through with it in mind.

tbh Grand Dream City so far is much better than the first two islands. Everything up to Blacksteeple you barely matter and get shown up constantly, and Terajuma is a giant fetch quest for a TM you don't even need because Crawli had a back door entrance into Valor Mountain anyway. Meanwhile in the current arc we annihilated by a Yveltal and just respawn like nothing happened

I was originally gonna write a big rant about how the PC isn't treated like a character but meh. They would work as a secondary character sorta like Vaan from FF12 but that doesn't seem to be what the writer is going for. There's a lot of similar issues with the PC but it boils down to it feels like they're mostly an afterthought in the story and get upstaged pretty much constantly.

Plotwise, frequently when we win battles we lose in the cutscene afterwards anyway and have to be bailed out (Amethyst Cave, Xen Hideout in Caratos Mountain, Wispy Tower). Even in sidequests and such, you often walk into things and then someone tells you how dumb you are for falling into such an obvious trap (like the docks/warehouse quest from Sheridan). It gets old quick and seems kinda shitty for anyone who likes to treat a silent protagonist as themselves (I'm not someone like that). Even with Rift Gyarados, Melia gives credit to the Garbodor and not the PC.

• 4 weeks later...

@Paperblade Ah scripted battles. People still have a misunderstanding of them to this date and age as it's not a simple "Protag loses the battle" scenario like it was back in the 90s. There's like a bundle of ways to properly implement them but I say use these three rules when dealing with their designs:

1. While it is an effective tool showing how the big bad is much stronger than you, it should focus more on character building someone (or some people) from the losing side and building off of that. This is why it's recommended to do this only in the early parts of the game

2. Keep the draws/loses to roughly a count of three. Players not being able to celebrate their victories hurt morality. Defeating boss =/= winning but achieving their object does

3. True impossible battle with combat should be short and quick, but beatable impossible battles should feel lopsided but still fairly reasonable to beat (ie bosses don't one shot you)

The really cool thing about these bosses as it lets you break the rules of difficulty to bring a challenge for those who are better at the game without punishing everyone.

So this episode was going to be out a lot earlier but my AC unit went out so I had to move my laptop to the second floor to even work. While technically I could have still done certain things I've been getting stockpiled with schoolwork. Sometimes I spend 8 hours a day on one single class because of the workload. Anyways, I'm gonna try and get something done tonight.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Episode 4 Mansion When I have I last Updated

So I actually have thought about something for a long while now and it's actually whether I've been two harsh on what I was saying when it comes to RPGmaker XP and its limited use. I had a trip down memory lane regarding an old game (well it's mostly a visual novel with some RPG elements to it) I played when regarding this subject. So compared to a triple AAA game budgets many low budget or even no budget studios can have problems like inconsistent visuals or even a lackluster soundtrack. Gameplay could also be shallow. You don't have much to work with so what do you do? Visual Novel styles tend to be the go to way as it can save a lot of money.

Now let's take a trip back in time to 2012 and 2013. Most of you know a whole lot of history of this being one of the weakest times for jRPGs considering the face of it was FFXIII. People even said the genre was dying which I don't think it was dying but it was not the best time. The big thing was that jRPG stories were just getting weaker and weaker and imo more focused on being a big game with great gameplay over having a fantastic story. I also want to note Xenoblade Chronicles came to the US at this point and I loved that game to death. I actually stumbled upon a video on Screw Attack (back when it had a website) which talked about a game and they mentioned that the story was really good and I thought "there's no way this could have a good plot" and I played it expecting to hate it...which was my first mistake. Once you enter the abyss, you see things you wish never existed. There's a reason I'm not telling you the title of it and those who played it probably know I'm talking about that game. Guy who fan translated it did such an awesome job.

As for my thoughts on this game, I ended up really enjoying it after getting past the first segment, but reflecting back on it that likely because of how it surprisingly was immersive and had a really likable cast. I know people praise Xenoblade for its plot but I'd probably say I enjoyed this games plot...even though it probably has traumatized me for the rest of my life. And...I'm also waiting for the sequel to be done and fan-translated before trying it out. My point of bringing up this game which some of you may never look at me the same for (if you really want to know the title I'll PM it to you but it is very NSFW) is that even with some of the most basic tools and heavy limitations, you can bring games that cost millions with some of the best devs to shame with the right skills and crafting.

For that reason, I'll probably keep doing what I'm doing and rant usually about story because honestly it's the thing I enjoy most in games. Some people enjoy gameplay and care little for story and that's fine. Thinking on that game makes me think back on immersion so maybe I'll do a COGA on that since it's such an ignored subject. But hell no to talking about the game though the plot honestly is pretty safe to talk about. I guess Persona 3 is my backup plan. That's a...oh I'm supposed to do a run. Hi, I'm a forgetful rambler.

capture354.png

(I didn't even notice those dead flowers first time looking at this place nice touch)

Honestly, I wish I examined and studied this place a little more because it looks surprisingly good for what it is. Not really a rejuv thing but one thing I do feel Gen 3 style has that a lot of golden age jRPGs don't is a blocky texture feel. It's still there but Gen 3 style feels like pure square blocks and even Gen IV shares a little bit in that problem. Chrono Trigger and Breath of Fire III I think (never played BoF but it's on my maybe get to eventually list) kind of are good examples. I think it was the limitations of the handhelds that kept them like that as I remember Golden sun feeling a little blocky as well but not as bad. Not really a Jan thing but something that's always been on my mind. I think it has more to do with edges and corners over anything.

capture355.png

(What the inside of me feels like...)

capture356.png

(I think I made an innuendo by complete accident in the previous caption)

capture357.png

(I don't think Gelica really cares. She's tired of dealing with Keta's shenanigans)

capture358.png

(Thank you captain obvious)

Remember how I said Show, Don't Tell and even made a COGA about it. The funny thing is that Jan was showing us that something bad happened, then took all that away by straight up telling us. There was no need for Keta to say that nor make a huge emphasis on it. Since we already have the example in game form, let's see if ole Commander can do it in writing form instead. Been a while since I've done this:

As Kenneth walked into this elegant home, a slight chill caught his attention. "Odd," he said as he gazed at the once perfect paradise. Death must have come here earlier as the rusty roses were the only ones to greet their new guest. His prey was none other than man as he left a crimson stain to mark his victory.  Kenneth, having nowhere else to go, ignored this warning and stepped onto the cracked floor. He felt a slight tug on his arm. "Don't worry about it. Whatever happened must've happened years ago." He looked back at the crimson stain which was anything but crimson. "That blood is all dried up. Still feel bad for the guy....to lose that much blood." Kenneth was always ready for a good mystery, but now was not the time to dwell on them. His partner seemed to accept his answer and freed her grip. "Atta girl! I promise it'll only be for tonight. Just...try not to get eaten by the Glubbernaught." Kenneth couldn't help be get a good laugh out of seeing the almighty warrior pitifully concealing herself in a tiny rose bush. "C'mon, you scaredy Purrloin. We have work to do." The Lucario emerged from her protection barrier keeping a close eye on anything and everything. One could never be too cautious when dealing with such a demon.

I'd probably spend 10 minutes straight up editing that since I already see five problems. Bad writing aside, I never had to explicitly write "Something terrible happened" because you know somebody was probably murdered a long time ago in this place. The reader knows that but they don't know how Kenneth and Gelica perceive it. That's what you should spend the dialogue doing instead of telling the player/reader the obvious. Unless it's for humor or satire like:

Person A: I get the feeling this is going to be really dangerous.

Person B: Oh please, I see toxic geyser and man eating squirrels all the time. Though...oh no...I sense something dangerous approaching

Person A: Really, where?

Person B: Oh nevermind, it's just you.

(I'm pretty eh with satirical humor)

capture359.png

(I feel like feeling feels that feel feely)

capture360.png

(Oh no obvious foreshadowing is not obvious)

In case you are wondering, I am making fun of an overused cliche and this is one of those that is a bad cliche. Basically when people "foreshadow" they feel the need to heavily broadcast it and even overstate it if it's going to be happening soon. I know this is super cliche but the best way to explain how to do foreshadowing is the "dark clouds are approaching" method. You give the feeling that something is going to happen, but you can't exactly predict it.

capture361.png

(This place is bad. Let's go deeper. Makes sense)

capture362.png

(How can you not be happy with a woman that loo...)

I'm not sure if I'm imagining it but looking at the pic it kind of looks like the mother is giving off a false smile. Could be the tired me but that'd be interesting in terms of details and given what I know about the game. Not really a spoiler given we know something happens to her within the first 5 minutes.

capture363.png

(1,000 words of a moment)

capture364.png

(I wonder if that piano still works)

Fun fact: I actually used to know how to play piano. I kind of stopped as my mind has this weird thing where I can really only move one or the other when I have to think about what I'm doing. It's a really weird thing as I technically am able to multitask but not very well.

capture365.png

(Seems like it's a wee bit out of tune)

One of my favorite little things in RPGs that I adore is when you walk up to a piano and interact with it to play a song. Honestly I love the sound of the piano and it's one of my favorite instruments to listen to. I'd have to give the violin the gold medal though because so many of my favorite tracks use violin.

capture366.png

(And we're off)

I'm looking at the rock on the right. You guys notice that too, right?

capture367.png

(I found the mapping error)

capture368.png

(It's a big white sanctuary. Not really anything special)

capture369.png

(Commander is gonna snap in 3...2...1...)

This is the terrible thing about breaking down stuff and digesting it slowly. Normal people wouldn't notice this but when you read every dialogue nearly line for line, you will notice things. It's actually a true fact that people usually don't remember what most characters say, but remember the contents of the dialogue. Think about the Gettysburg Address. So a lot of things that feel good in my head like this part probably aren't as well crafted sadly. Instead of riding the foreshadow train something like "I feel like my soul needs to cleansed now" would do the same exact job. Now I get to talk about dialogue which is one of my favorite subjects.

You can divide dialogue and say how to write it in so many ways, but we'll keep it simple by creating 3 groups of dialogue: dialogue that is important, dialogue that is transitional, and dialogue that holds no value. Dialogue that is important simply means the story could not be told or executed without it. Think of someone getting ready for a confession then saying "I love you." Kind of hard to make a confession without it. Transitional dialogue doesn't hold any specific value but it helps move the plot along. Let's say a scene is playing out and a big argument is about to break loose. One of the people could make a rude, but humorous remark that grabs their attention. The dialogue alone serves no real purpose other than a shift which you need quite a lot of those otherwise you'd be stuck with some pretty long conversations.

Now we get to dialogue that holds no value aka Blacksteeple Prison. The best way to identify this is if you remove the segment or line of dialogue, does the scene still make sense. If this sounds familiar, you probably learned it in a technical class. If you have some of this there's no sin as some is good, but having too much simply drags a plot along and is more or less boring. I think the most common is repeat of old information. The best way to understand is to simply give an example:

Example A:

Ross: Oh Juliet, how long I awaited this day

D.Man: Hey Charles, do you think he's gonna propose

C.Man: Totally. The boy has been trying for years

Ross: Would you please accept this ring and be forever my bride

Juliet: Oh Ross! Of course I will.

Example B:

Ross: Oh Juliet, how long I awaited this day. Would you please accept this ring and be forever my bride?

Juliet: Oh Ross! Of course I will.

Now if what the Man people were saying was important you could easily show that in different ways but it does depend on the medium. If it's a novel you could write "his tired knee got down once more for a chance of true happiness" or some mumbo jumbo but in a game you make want to show animations or graphics or simply leave that fact out or have Ross say it later. Simplicity is such an important and useful tool especially when dealing with complex stories. It gives more emphasis when needed. And the case and point is:

capture370.png

(Would work just fine starting right here)

capture371.png

(JAN! You are killing me)

This is a pet peeve but it always irritates me when people make what should be a subtle reference not so subtle. This is exactly what happened in the mansion part and the game just obnoxiously wants to remind you it happened. I can think of two things that would better fit this. One of these days I won't go on a rant. One of these days.

capture372.png

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!)

I'm not gonna say it. I'm just not gonna say it. This is gonna be a long episode.

capture373.png

(As a womanizer would say, "I don't think sleeping next to a giant whole is a good idea")

capture375.png

(Better be careful. You might lose your legs doing that)

capture376.png

(Maybe we should sleep outside instead)

capture377.png

([Inhales] It's for [Insert major spoiler for Trails in the Sky])

capture378.png

(Maybe they're secretly a crime fighter of the night)

OH MY GOD INDY IS BATMAN! He even has a costume. I swear I don't do this on purpose. I'm just imagine him saying "I'm Indy!" now. The Arc Knight rises. Okay, I'm done. Or would it be Indman...that sounds racist.

capture379.png

(Buy the next pack of DLC to find out!)

capture380.png

(Gee...I never would have guessed from all the dialogue beforehand)

capture381.png

(Even the game acknowledges it)

capture382.png

(And cue the thing we've been waiting for and totally was not over foreshadowed)

capture383.png

(Oh look...it's a girl that reminds me of a girl that I despise)

capture384.png

(Gelica basically said "Screw it! I'm out!")

capture385.png

(And he didn't notice the machine is suddenly fixed)

capture386.png

(Eh, the game I mentioned before is creepier)

capture387.png

(Oh lady trapped in a crystal/prison. Haven't seen that before)

capture388.png

(More importantly, who am I?)

capture389.png

([Deep Breath] PERSONA! [Shoots self])

capture390.png

(That is supposed to be a crystal floating in mid air. Maybe I've seen too much FFBE)

capture391.png

(Fall and die? World will end due to the crystals losing power? Actually be evil and trying to take over the world and were sealed away to prevent that?)

capture393.png

(Oh...lame)

capture394.png

(Looks like fall came early)

capture395.png

(And like any cliche anime protagonist...he survived an impossible fall)

It actually makes a little sense that he'd survive this due to...reasons but we can't talk about those right now.

capture396.png

(Must be otherwise you'd be dead)

capture397.png

(Fantasy and Realty aren't very different from each other)

I designed a character around that concept and I must say it was a very interesting philosophy to go into and start questioning what is fake and what is real and the concept of reality. It's mind boggling...literally.

capture398.png

(How can I breathe without you)

I don't know I was just thinking about the song

capture399.png

(Oh purple hair. Guess that means she's evil)

capture401.png

(Miss Aevium has to keep his reputation up for the candidacy)

capture403.png

(I told you she was evil)

capture405.png

(It's a Pokemon...it can't talk...even though it just did)

capture406.png

(Good luck without Gelica by your side)

And so we get to an epic battle between....

capture407.png

(Oh you better not do what I think you are about to do)

Yeah I almost won this fight with just Lucario. I'm not against hard first fights but this Beheeyem needs its attack power toned down a little bit so it doesn't two shot most people's Lucarios. The "there's another Pokemon" excuse doesn't work because the plot doesn't even lead or even hint to do that. You'd maybe find it by off chance. I don't mind early game battles that are a little difficult but I know the rule of thumb is only having to use 1 to 2 items max to win.

But after 5 attempts and no luck we...try to find a more efficient solution:

capture409.png

(Good because Gelica left me)

Yep, Gelica is no longer in our party as you can see since she's no longer following us. But truth be told there's a glitch that if you go up the elevator to Keith's place, the follower Pokemon is turned off without being turned back on. And it turned this into what has to be one of the funniest conversations to even think about.

capture411.png

(I'm a hobo. Rockin' that hobo life until I become Pres or PoA)

capture412.png

(I need to have that evil scheming time like the cliche villain I am. Please ignore the stache)

capture414.png

(Gelica left me so I got a new friend, Crow. Crow would never leave me and he's a total bro)

capture416.png

(Nobody knows I've been fired...despite openly being kicked out of the office and openly saying I'm unemployed both earlier and right now)

capture417.png

(Eh, I needed a new friend anyways)

capture419.png

(Crow, I don't need your sass right now)

capture420.png

(I see two scyther over there. They only need one to get the job done)

capture422.png

(Crow, why do you gotta be so mean? Even Gelica is not that mean)

capture423.png

(Greedy son of a...)

capture424.png

(I'll take the CEO job. That way I gotta do nothing but boss people around)

capture425.png

(I want the laziest one possible)

capture426.png

(Well...they never got me one)

capture427.png

(And so much for my backup plan. Crow, looks like we need to pray to RNGeebus)

capture429.png

(Crow, you're so mean. I don't like you anymore)

capture430.png

(Didn't I meet someone who lost their ID earlier?)

capture431.png

(That dirty bandit)

capture434.png

(A job and the will to live)

capture435.png

(sounds like we're in the same boat...You could say that I'm you pier)

capture436.png

(I'm too tired for puns about Unions. It's because they never work)

capture437.png

(Oh how convenient)

capture440.png

(That'd be very convenient)

capture441.png

(How convenient)

capture447.png

(What convenience)

capture448.png

(And we conveniently found it)

capture449.png

(And it conveniently solves the problem)

capture451.png

(That seems like too much work)

capture452.png

(That's very convenient that an ID lost for a long period of time wasn't found by someone and the guy who should check it doesn't)

capture454.png

(Can't complain about convenience)

capture455.png

(And we're getting the Commander abridged version)

Scyther - Cut trees

Muk - Clean Sewage

Donphan - Slay Gods

And here's what all three look like and some thoughts:

capture464.png

capture465.png

Scizor is an excellent Pokemon no matter what way you look at it, but Scyther is kind of a fast glass canon who can hit hard but dies rather easily. Some people will say he's really good but I personally don't think it's all award winning other than its big feature is having cut which would be helpful if we need it. Definitely a good choice for a glass cannon but we kind of already have Lucario for that job. Probably the best of the three and will make a certain fight pitifully easy.

capture466.png

capture467.png

Donphan is probably the worst of the three options. It's level up pool is okay but it really only learns EQ in I want to say the 50s. What you see here is basically its final movepool and while Bulldoze will be helpful now, it'll likely just be filling up a spot later on since you do get another ground type later.

capture468.png

capture469.png

I decided to go with Muk as it has a rather solid movepool and is a rather tanky mon. Donphan is rather tanky in the Def stat and can survive a hit with sturdy but Muk is a special wall who can take as much if not more punishment. I would've preferred Shadow Sneak but protect is such a useful move especially when you have limited options since you can stall. I also would have preferred Poison Touch but Sticky hold lets him keep his Black Sludge if that's even available. Glubbanaught officially joins as our second party member. And now back to our main program.

capture470.png

(Something tells me I'm gonna regret this)

capture471.png

(I told you he can tank)

capture472.png

(Glubbanaught did all that damage by himself when he needed to only do chip damage)

capture473.png

(My revenge with Crow has been completed...or is that Gelica...I don't know)

capture475.png

(Not the Behees)

capture476.png

(That took way too much time to finish)

capture477.png

(Okay, now I know I'm dreaming, but at least I have you, Glubba...oh he's fainted)

capture478.png

(Pretty sure this is the graveyard connected to Amethyst Cave)

capture480.png

(And she's still evil. Telling you she's evil)

capture485.png

(Oh hey Glubbanaught, I'm glad you made it back to the side of the living)

capture486.png

(Pretty sure meeting a girl in a dream is a cliche as well)

capture487.png

(Cue the Chrono Cross theme)

capture488.png

(Making babies?)

capture489.png

(Well I have nothing better to do)

capture491.png

(Getting real tired of this dialogue emphasis)

I don't like when dialogue emphasizes stuff. It's distracting and usually brings more harm than good. Honestly, it's kind of an insult to your intelligence as it assumes you can't properly read which is sad but true. Many gamers don't bother reading the dialogue text boxes and get made or frustrated when they can't find their way. So I understand why people do it, but that's really just sad. Sad that people only care about one aspect over a full experience even if you hate the story. I really disliked SAO Re: Hallow Fragment, but I didn't skip any of the dialogue (I only played a couple hours of it). It didn't kill me. Then again, I do like visual novels so I'm probably weird and not in the norm.

capture492.png

(I noticed Jan is a fan of...)

Spoiler

He asked for this

capture493.png

(3 chapters in and you are already cheating on your girl...well soon to be girl...you get the idea)

capture494.png

(She's wearing a different outfit. Pretty sure she was wearing uhhh whatever Aelita wears)

capture495.png

(I'm pretty sure I al...you're not a ghost, are you? I hate ghosts)

capture496.png

(Oh good more baggage. Just like any good Pokemon game)

capture497.png

(Spooky)

capture499.png

(Something tells me this ties in to the V10 sections)

Since I'm part of the forums, it is near impossible to avoid spoilers on Rejuv. I basically have a rough idea of the plot. Some I brought on myself but most I just accidentally saw in Discord. I know vaguely what happens but I don't have the full grasp since I never cared too deeply either way. Meanwhile I have been avoiding Trails spoilers like the plague and XB2 spoilers. Still pretty spoiler free on both.

capture500.png

(Maybe I shouldn't. I don't know if your evil or not)

capture501.png

(I guess we know what this game is about now. Finding...we'll call her Violet)

capture502.png

(At least it's not in Commander's. Last person he tried finding and saving died)

capture503.png

(Something tells me he'll fail and be a depressed old man who'd betray his village. Just a whim)

capture507.png

(Gelica! You came back. Crow, begone! Your services are no longer needed)

capture508.png

(Gotta lay low on...when did I get a Muk?)

capture509.png

(Everything I know is a lie. Guess I really did visit the afterlife and come back)

capture510.png

(I might actually be an angel)

capture511.png

(ONE MONTH! That's insane)

capture512.png

(Silly me, Pokemon are dumb animals that can't communicate)

Not actually true. Animals can communicate what they want pretty well so for a person and Pokemon to understand each other is actually not as out there as it might think. If my one dog wants something, she'll push my hand away to get my attention. Most of what they understand is sounds though and not words obviously since we communicate two different ways. It might seem weird that people talk to their pets but it makes more sense when you have one. That's kind of what Keta is doing so it's pretty accurate. Even if one of his Lucario is imaginary

capture514.png

(That reminds me of a funny teasing story)

So when I was like a 4 or 5 year old, my sister managed to put a whoopie cushion under our dog right before she sat down. That was the fastest I've ever seen that dog run and she was not happy the rest of the day. Teasing animals is fun. Mean, but kind of fun since they think it's a game sometimes.

capture515.png

(Ah the good old death glare. I got that all the time fron the one dog we had that hated me)

capture516.png

(Spoiler Alert: You should)

capture517.png

(We were doing so good)

I don't like the piece of dialogue reading it a second time over. It just feels unnecessary and kind of out of place. Hell, I figured he would have forgotten the scary stuff and be super keen on the girl.

capture521.png

(Finally almost done with this part)

capture522.png

(The sun is rising for me)

capture523.png

(Guess we are sleeping like a hobo tonight)

And just for people who want nice and pleasant dreams:

capture525.png

(She looks way too happy)

I'm assuming she's wearing a mask. I also have a pretty good idea who this person is linked to due to another spoiler. That moment is pretty much ruined for me. Let's be honest, most of the big things in Rejuv have been ruined for me but at least I can be prepared for screenshots. And with that I sleep. Next part will be the last part before jumping back to Rejuv for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I also dislike emphasized text in dialogues. I first came across it when I was reading Donald duck comics as a kid and even back then I felt annoyed by it for the same reason you described. I wish people stopped doing that.

We all need a Crow sometimes.

There are so many ways pokemon and humans could communicate but so far the concept has only been touched by certain fanfictions I have read. Language barrier doesnt bean squat when both species have a high enough intelligence.

I Would expect Jan had learned by now. Yeah I never noticed all that forshdowing too well but now it kinda aggravates me. Tho to be honest repetition is a least excusable offense because he should have known it by now and been careful about it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2018 at 1:38 PM, DemICE said:

I Would expect Jan had learned by now. Yeah I never noticed all that forshdowing too well but now it kinda aggravates me. Tho to be honest repetition is a least excusable offense because he should have known it by now and been careful about it.

Repetition is not a bad thing and often it can be used and done well. Shadow of the Colossus is a good example if not one of the best as while I'm not the biggest fan, the entire game is a symbolism of repetition. Basically from the very beginning you know what you are doing is wrong, but the main character is doing it to save his wife. The voice even warns him that it would be a deep price to do this deed. It's not an element I can really teach too well since there is no standard (and English teaches it as a good thing). I guess I would use the rule of 3: once before any of the event comes to be, once at the start, and once moments before. The first one has or feels like it has zero relevance and could even be as simple as a character showing up on screen. Seeing this character alone plants seeds of doubt in your mind. The second one would most likely be an oral version like some news of a fire which your character would be surprised anyone could do something like that. The third and final one would be something like a few corpses in a clearing leading towards the next map or area. It's a pretty subconscious format when designing plot since it's a simple, yet effective format. Funny enough, Jan had all the parts, but delivered them in a not very effective order causing a repeat.

And now for the chapter 1 finale:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Episode 5: But I wanted to name the Egg

capture526.png

(How I feel starting a new chapter)

capture527.png

(That...actually is my motto)

To be honest, I don't have a lot of bad days, but I don't have a lot of days I'd call great. I just live the day expecting nothing and enjoy the surprises. I'm not depressed or anything but I just have a routine I've gotten into which can be a bit dull. Though any day I can game is a good day.

capture528.png

(Guess Gelica was tired of my...whining)

capture529.png

(You wouldn't believe me even if I told you)

capture530.png

(That...didn't answer the question)

capture531.png

(But I'm standing)

Gonna say a couple things in a second

capture532.png

(Uhhh....hope you like concrete)

So little bit of writing tip is to make the connection clear. Kevin just kind of responded to Taelia, but didn't acknowledge she asked a question. Why? I think the answer is that he was deep in thought but there is no indication. While a simple "Huh?' works like a charm, I prefer making them mumble something like "damn haunted mansion. now I need to change...oh! Hi, Taelia. I didn't notice you there. How's it going?" I'm a little tired since it's late and I have a load of schoolwork still left to do so I'm not going to put a lot of effort into the dialogue. Another option is to have a moment of "..." with him not responding. Lot of options. Also as an old school RPG trick, benches imply a character is sitting. Helps indicate the idea better due to limited options and art (similar to how VAs focus on slides and facial expressions). Technology awareness is very crucial when building a game. It's hard to tell if Kenneth...did I call him Kevin? Anyways, it's hard to tell when small sprites are sitting or standing.

capture534.png

(Currently trying to discover the meaning of life. I've got nothing so far)

capture535.png

(I hear sidewalks are a common napping area for drunks. I don't think I'm drunk. Am I drunk? Kevin, answer me)

capture536.png

(Something tells me this is going to turn into a romance scene)

capture537.png

(Maybe being a lazy bum ain't so bad)

capture538.png

(Oh look a bird...no that's just a pig)

capture539.png

(Love the little detail on the face there)

Oh, that reminds me of another thing. I hate day/night cycles in RPGs. Not a single one of my 10 favorite games/RPGs uses them other than Xenoblade which...really was not something I praised about the game, but it definitely worked for it due to the ability to freely change it. It's simply due to the weird concept of time in a plot. Characters generally sleep at night unless something is bothering them which builds scenes like this. Why do I get the feeling everyone will no every little thing I like/dislike about games by the end of the Rejuv run?

capture540.png

(Kenneth has a lot on his mind)

capture543.png

(And you take what you get and turn it into honesty)

capture544.png

(See when you quit your job, this is why you have a backup plan)

Seriously, I have three backup plans just in case. Doubt I'll have to use two of them but you never know.

capture546.png

(Also don't expect haggling with you boss to work. It rarely ever works and usually ends up with you doing more work)

capture547.png

(You can't help the homeless without homes though)

capture548.png

(Keta isn't the brightest of minds...though he's far above the average future Aeviumite)

capture550.png

(Keta also learned that people are so easily replaceable)

I'm sure you've heard the saying "Shoot for the stars so that you can land on the moon" but I know I butchered that quote. The point is that people aren't really that special making them replaceable. I'm very easily replaceable. That's just the broad view of the world. It's when you break things down and look at all the small scale stuff when it gets important. It takes a long time to make it big which is why you always treat every person you meet with respect especially in entertainment. Hardcore I think hit at least 1k downloads which is a lot, but for months it was only about 4 downloads. Working your way up is hard and Kenneth kind of wanted instant results. It's a nice touch to reflect upon this concept which I don't think really goes anywhere.

capture553.png

(At least his still has a goal and purpose in mind)

capture555.png

(And one day...I will become president. Believe it!)

capture556.png

(That's just a side goal. Kenneth's real dream is to become a magazine publisher)

capture558.png

(Well we took a dive into the subjective field quickly)

capture560.png

(Do we actually ever get to meet Kenneth's dad?)

capture561.png

(...Of course he's dead)

Well here's an interesting little fact for you: having one dead parent in a game is pretty common, but it's honestly pointless to have. I really don't know why both parents couldn't be kept alive in most RPGs. Now let me explain here. So the reason why one parent is usually dead is to give either a motivation or conflict due to a loss, but it never really is built on ever again. You can do that with quite a lot of things even simple ones like falling off the roof. That is much different than the lifestyle of living without a one of your parents. I don't speak on experience myself, but things really do change and I think people adapt to what would be considered an abnormal lifestyle. But the most important thing about losing a loved one is that the people affected experience 3 emotions: sadness, hatred, and happiness. There's no specific order and reasoning but all three are always there. And it does affect the character and even can form a connection. It's such a useful element but usually I see it as something maybe touched on once and never again. I'm going to leave it at that since this is a topic I could go on for a few hours honestly.

capture562.png

(At least he died doing what he loved....just like Grape-kun)

capture563.png

(...I totally didn't know the next image was going to say that)

On an honest note, I've been working on this part with weeks inbetween. Sometimes scenarios like this happen.

capture564.png

(The only thing funny here is...uhhh....Kenneth's owl neck)

capture565.png

(That's...one way to word it)

...I don't really get the empathetic feeling from Kenneth to be honest. I think Iroh from Avatar the Last Airbender is a great example of how to do something right. I know his clip from tales of Ba Sin Sae (I know I butchered that) just show him being a really nice guy and helping, but the bandit is honestly one of my favorite scenes in the series. Instead of beating the bandit up, he ends up helping the guy not only fight better but get out of his troubles. It's honestly hard not to like Iroh due to his nature.

capture566.png

(I believe most people are good...)

capture567.png

(And cue the slow music)

capture568.png

(I dream that this run is done and completed...but that will never come to pass)

capture570.png

(It's sports car. Gotta be a sports car)

capture571.png

(...That reminds me, I really should see how the orphanage is doing...in the future)

capture572.png

(I wouldn't want to be in a house full of kids...a day at my mom's preschool was torture enough)

capture573.png

(Oh joy tragic backstories here we come)

capture575.png

(If I had a nickle for every game protag with dead parents)

Eh, not really worth ranting about the dead parents thing again. Sometimes you need it to make a character work. I mean one set of characters I wrote up was where one character had to work with another character who murdered her whole family. You can probably imagine what kind of conversations would come out of that. 

capture576.png

(Probably better that way)

capture577.png

(I uhh...don't know how orphanages operate tbh)

capture579.png

(Hahahaha! I don't think Kenneth is the sharpest tool in the shed)

capture581.png

(...I totally knew it was a joke)

capture582.png

(Speaking of models, did you guys see the new lego Harry Potter sets?)

capture583.png

(I want to say something but can't...for reasons)

capture584.png

(Hopefully the response time isn't like welfare long. Those food stamps take years to get)

capture585.png

(Find a new career and goal. We've all done it, honey)

capture586.png

(Am I the only one who pictures Kenneth with a farm boy accent)

I'm pretty sure there's people out there who'd want me to livestream the voices of the characters in the impressions I give them in the run. Oh god Frenchera would be so hard to do on the fly.

capture587.png

(And if you look closely you can see her blushing)

capture588.png

(And if you look closely, you can see Kenneth blushing)

capture589.png

(The burrito I ate is taking its vengeance) 

capture590.png

(Eh, you can deal with the pain)

So interesting fact: I used to when I had a boatload of work only eat once in the day around 9pm. Your stomach does hurt a little bit afterwards and one time the place I eat closed early so I had to wait until morning to eat. That was a very long night. I can't really do it as well as I did since I actually like the food around here compared to campus food. If food tastes disgusting, you can restrain yourself much easier. Your stomach does growl though. Two days though is tough.

capture591.png

(...Why didn't he bring snacks on the boat?)

capture593.png

(I'd never turn a woman's orders down if it involves food)

capture594.png

(I'd even be a dog for her)

capture595.png

(Oh Kenneth, this won't be the worst thing you break into)

capture596.png

(At least they have a nice couch here)

capture598.png

(When I said anything...I didn't consider Glubbernaut being a thirsty...slime thing)

capture599.png

(Sigh...the things I do for food)

capture600.png

(Looks like a lava cake)

capture601.png

(Glubbernaut is still uncomfortably close to me)

capture602.png

(She can cook. She's a keeper, Kenneth)

capture603.png

(...You dug in too far to back out now, buddy)

capture604.png

(Shut up and eat is two directions I can follow...now I really want some food)

capture605.png

(Some coffee joints serve good food. I don't know any though)

capture606.png

(How do you have a business if you don't have food...I think Starbucks even has food)

capture607.png

(Points to the sink with dishes in the background)

So some of you may or may not know this but many part time job work places do provide plates you can use so long as you wash them. I usually just brought paper plates with my lunches. My break rooms were never that clean looking though. Nor did we have a couch.

capture608.png

(She...likes really big lunches)

For the sake of my own sanity, I'm just going to skip the rest of the conversation since it's merely more of the same. It's not bad but screencapping it is a wee bit tiresome and I think we'd all rather get to something more interesting. Pretty much Tesla saying that it's his going away gift or something. You get the idea.

capture614.png

(Anything tastes delicious after not eating for two days)

capture615.png

(Hey, I could go to sleep on that chair if I really wanted)

capture616.png

(As long as you don't have purple hair, you are fine in my book)

capture618.png

(I'm pretty sure you told her that...or something)

capture619.png

(Or by logical deduction)

capture620.png

(Nope, we're living that hobo life)

capture622.png

(Did intelligence degrade in the future because the average IQ here is much higher)

capture623.png

(Sweet, we get to stay at a girl's place)

capture624.png

(I swear Kenneth is from the south)

capture625.png

(Oh good, I get directions to a very hard to get lost location)

capture626.png

(Surprised Jan didn't make it 2B instead)

capture629.png

(I have. Nicer even, but good for you, Kenneth)

capture630.png

(And cue the chapter wrap-up dialogue)

Normally we would continue the plot but there was apparently something we need to do first...

capture632.png

(And we hot a worthless box...yay!)

capture633.png

(Watch it be an important plot device...or something)

Also

capture635.png

(I BELIEVE I CAN FLY! ACROSS THE SKY!)

I love messing with glitchy tiles.

capture636.png

(Missed opportunity, Jan. Missed opportunity)

I probably would have done something funny with the doors. Oh well. Moving on.

capture637.png

(And behind door number 2 is...)

capture638.png

(Oh for the love of...just go in already)

capture639.png

(Oh good emphasis. How original)

capture640.png

(I'm not really sure how old Kenneth is but this can't be good)

capture642.png

(Kenneth, there's the saying "keep it in your pants")

capture643.png

(You're a hobo. There's no chance in hell you'd get that lucky for a one-night stand)

capture644.png

(Or from pity. Probably pity.)

capture645.png

(Maybe you should considering your state of mind)

capture646.png

(Anime: the only time people don't walk through doors normally)

capture647.png

(I think the mansion fried Kenneth's brain a tad bit)

capture648.png

(And Kenneth is going to do something he'll regret for the rest of his life in 3..2..1...)

capture649.png

(Why is it dark? Is this a surprise party?)

capture650.png

(OH HI JENNER! LONG TIME NO SEE!)

capture651.png

(Does that man on the right have a beard? I feel we could be good friends if you do)

capture653.png

(What is Tesla doing behind that couch?)

capture654.png

(....If that were me, that's the worst thing you could do)

Seriously, I'm actually awkwardly quiet around a group of people I don't recognize. Unless it's like a nerd's convention then I'm usually fine. No I am not the asshole who points out every issue I see in things irl. Actually, it's really only Rejuv I'm like this. Which is odd? Part of me actually wishes I could praise the game more but it's just like not in my blood or something. Weird.

capture655.png

(No, it's totally not)

capture657.png

(So I'm guessing Jenner's base, Chasity is Vocals, and uhhh...Mark? is on Base. He's now called Mark)

capture658.png

(I haven't played that game in a while)

I just want to say nice touch there, Jan. I actually thought "Is that chutes and ladders?" when relooking at this pic. Doing that kind of detail is very difficulty with tiny sprites.

capture659.png

(I'll pick the tiny dog)

capture661.png

(Something tells me he can't say no to Tesla...for more reasons than one)

capture662.png

(Shut up, Mark! I'm busy here)

capture663.png

(Jenner Dark's aching blood is rising)

capture665.png

(I just imagine Tesla giving him a puppy dog face there)

capture666.png

(You can never make a precious cinnamon roll sad. Rule 1 of the guide to gentlemanhood)

capture667.png

(This freeze frame is amazing...wait...MARK DOESN'T HAVE A BEARD! You lied to me)

capture669.png

(Chasity is a sore loser...if you couldn't tell)

capture670.png

(Bored games are like the OG Mario Kart...except it takes longer. I guess that means you can preserve your friendship longer)

capture671.png

(Because I totally don't have people who care about me in the future because I'm a grouchy, depressed old man)

capture672.png

(Except pizza. That's a food that's eternal and never goes out of style)

capture673.png

(Ouch! They all live by sleeping on the couch)

So I'm going to tell you from experience that sleeping on a couch for a month is possible but it really kills your back past that...especially if it smells like weed and has the hardest arm ever. That was so awkward to figure out. Really though, that's gotta be very uncomfortable and back killing after a while no matter how high quality it is. Yes, you can sleep and live on them but...I don't see why a company would ever do that. Oh well! Minor nitpicks again.

capture675.png

(...More like a few months, but it probably feels like a day to Kenneth)

capture676.png

(Kenneth, whatever you do, don't say "you're the best thing that's happened to me on this island." You'll never be able to leave)

capture677.png

(Phew. Good save.)

capture678.png

(Guess he totally missed the point...)

capture679.png

(And, here it comes)

capture680.png

(I wouldn't want that job back)

capture681.png

(He...probably doesn't get it)

capture682.png

(Yep. It totally went over his head)

capture683.png

(And now we cue the flashback)

We're gonna skip the entire flashback...because it literally happened probably about 10 minutes ago for most people. I can't really explain flashbacks all that well other than they basically are made solely to inform the player. We know what is going through Kenneth's mind right now so it really wasn't needed. Which is why we're skipping it. Also, Tesla totally has a crush on Kenneth and he doesn't even see it. Typical anime cliche stuff.

capture684.png

(Dang that's a really big Delibird Egg)

capture695.png

(I'm not sure following a crazy dream is the best of ideas...especially alone. Well he does have Gelica)

capture696.png

(You could say...it was the girl of his dreams...I'll see myself out)

capture697.png

(Probably not a good idea you're going out to find the girl of your dreams either)

capture699.png

(...at least it's cleaner than Terra's)

capture701.png

(Isn't the a village or something? It's been a while since I've seen the plot)

capture702.png

(Well at least I'll get my wood in the morning)

capture703.png

(You are talking to Captain Miss Aevium and Future President Kenneth Sparrow)

capture704.png

(Ah the stowaway life)

capture706.png

(In times of trouble, turn to me!)

capture707.png

(I am the Mask of...)

Ah that skit from Tales of Graces never gets old.

capture708.png

(Oh thank god we're almost done)

capture709.png

(Sadly, that's kind of relevant but I'll save that message for later)

capture710.png

(Seems like we've been with these guys for a lifetime)

capture712.png

(I...should make sure I know what a conformist is)

I know what it is...just not the urban dictionary version...yep, they are the same.

capture713.png

(Shut up, Mark)

capture714.png

(Yeah, yeah, we're best buddies. Now pipe up so I can be done-o)

capture716.png

(That or you just finished the third Layton game...the feels man. The feels)

capture717.png

(Yeah...men don't cry)

capture719.png

(Whatever did happen to Chas...please tell me that's not Crescent)

capture720.png

(Oh god if it is. That's a mistake. That's a mistake to say)

capture722.png

(Yeah, free food)

capture723.png

(Yeah, free fo...oh wait I like Vulpix. I'm gonna call you uhhh...find out in a year)

capture726.png

(I'll definitely accept it. You're going onto the front lines, little gal)

capture727.png

(Tesla is my new favorite girl. She gave me a Vulpix. 10/10 right there)

capture728.png

(And I'll never forget you for it)

capture730.png

(It'll be treasured forever)

capture731.png

(And now to introduce our other newest member)

capture732.png

(Demasque of Lapr...wait Tessie. That's a stupid name)

capture733.png

(Really? We're giving nicknames now. None of the other ones get nicknames)

capture734.png

(...Then why is it named Tessia...You know what, I'm still gonna call it Demasque)

capture735.png

(Oh joy, flirting. While you're at it, can we get a nickname over here)

capture736.png

(And we're leaving...finally)

capture737.png

(Believe me, we have. Though you only became besties a few seconds ago...then lost it with Tessie...stop stealing my job)

capture738.png

(If you don't come back, I'm pretty sure Tesla will burn you alive...literally)

capture739.png

(Guess she's gonna stand there waiting for her...no. I'm not stooping to Saki levels. Nope!)

capture740.png

(And Granpa's magazines taught me everything I need to know to survive)

Damn, I missed a good joke with that for the hotel room. Oh well. Wasn't like this part of the run was that funny anyways. I just have no material to work with. Or at least stuff I'm good with working with.

capture741.png

(He's now Captain Kenneth of the USS M'dick Tessie.)

capture742.png

(My mama would slap me and call me a dumbass)

capture743.png

(Deagan seems to be the smart one in the family)

capture744.png

(Well they aren't mutually exclusive so yes, it could be both)

capture745.png

(You are like this ocean, Kenneth. Empty and full of water)

capture746.png

(But...he didn't even do anything)

So fun little fact: I have some segments of chapter 2 uploaded because the scene doesn't end there. We are going to end here. I'm not sure when I'll pick the run back up but it probably won't be for a little bit since I do want to get further in Rejuv...and I feel more people enjoy the Rejuv run a lot more for various reasons. Now before I say anything else, I did actually enjoy playing this part but going through again...I just didn't see much else as I saw when first going through which is much better for like a video series or something. It's a very skeletal side story which is what I'd say is a good idea for something like this. That also gives me less material to talk about. So a lot of this is going to be a mix of on me along with talking about my issues.

Now if you are asking me what I expect from a game or at least the bare minimum, this would be it. You don't need to be as dialogue heavy but this is generally the level I expect when going into something. Characters are characters with drives and development. If you are at this situation, don't worry about correcting anything. Yeah there are mistakes and things I wouldn't do like the flashback, but that's not something I'd put down the game or really would say harm my experience. This should come to no surprise, but the thing I didn't really feel was the "wow!" factor. The best way to describe it is that its an experience from the game that left a big impression on me. Without that, the experience is just kind of average and usually that means kind of forgettable. Humorous stuff like Jenner does make the ride entertaining but that really shouldn't be the selling point.

I actually think Jan picked the wrong moment to try and make and impact and memorable which was the couch scene of Kenneth talking to himself and what he had to do. Best scene to really go all out was when Kenneth and Tesla were sitting on the sidewalk. I can't really remember the conversation too well, but that was the perfect moment to go all out. Instead, it was kind of glazed over with small talk to give backstory on Tesla's character. The focus really should have been more on Kenneth in my honest opinion since he really had nothing left and was in a terrible state. Would have probably made me talk about it instead of lulling it over.

The other thing is that I feel Jan is doing a style that is really a bit too different from his own. Rejuv kind of has this wacky melodramatic feel too it. I'm not against going for a more serious route, but it just doesn't swing as well as the beginning of Rejuv did. I think if Jan finds his center and starts building around it from everything he learned and gained we'll have something rather interesting. This is a good base foundation and really does show what Jan has learned. There's just a lot of room for improvement and I think Jan needs to figure out what kind of route he wants to take over someone like me telling him. It's really just experience from this point forth. Though I do kind of hate that I can't really give too many pointers or advice. It took me a long while to find my center and nobody could really tell me where it was or what to do in that regard.

And that's it. We'll be jumping back onto the Rejuv train...after it's been like forever for me. I think March was the last time I picked up the game. I am thinking about doing a little mini-series for Reborn because it'll give me something to do while replaying Reborn. Redux is still being worked on but production will still be slow. I do think an E18 release will come within a year or so. I did finalize everything I'm going to do for the final version, but that's a long term plan. There's also this COGA sitting on my screen that needs like one more paragraph before being complete. So I am not twiddling my thumbs doing nothing. Though that does mean this run is probably going to be shelved for a long, long while since I'd rather invest my time getting the Rejuv run done first...and Redux. Halfway there on that. Halfway there.