Guidelines - How to Write a Theory

MadHappy

To make sure everyone succeeds to create a theory of their own, we gathered these simple and easy guidelines to help you:

1.  Set your goal

Write down the goals of your theory paper clearly and succinctly. Start with a topic sentence, making sure that your argument engages or sparks interest for both you and your audience. You can't hope to interest your reading audience unless you're passionate about the subject, too. Do keep your goal in mind during the process of coming up with a written theory.

2. Wonder "Why?"

Look for patterns between seemingly unrelated things. Explore the root causes behind events, and try to predict what will happen next. If you already have the seed of a theory in your head, observe the subjects of that idea and try to gather as much information as possible. Write down the "hows," the "whys," and the links between things as you piece them together.

• If you don't have a theory or a hypothesis in mind, you can begin by making connections. If you walk through the world with a curious eye, you may be suddenly struck by an idea.

3. Think outside the box.

Yes. I know. Everyone says that. And it's true. Most of the theories I came up with are because I began thinking outside the box, taking pieces of information and putting them left and right, to see where they could fit. Some failed to produce anything, while others took form and evolved while being supported by the information from the games/movies.

4. If you think you're wrong, dig deeper.

I cannot tell you the amount of times where I gave up as I reached a point where I began thinking "Nah, that's impossible.", only for me to return and realize it was possible. If you think your theory is wrong, think again, search for more information.

5. Take one good look

Compile and organize the findings. Does the hypothesis still hold true? If not, rework it according to the results. Try and figure out how X fits into Y, and why it doesn't fit into Z.