What is your favorite Gym in the canon games? And why?

Wolfox

So... Gyms are a big part of Pokémon. Some are good. Some are bad. Which Gym is your favorite? This can be for whatever reason.

So, my favorite is Drayden from B2/W2. Just standing on that damn Dragon taking on trainers. It just feels good

Either Roxie or Burg's gyms from B/W 2, simply because of the fitting music for each (and their straightforwardness).   Seriously Gamefreak, next time you implement gyms, let each have their own theme remixes again.

actually gonna have to say viridian gym on this one. while the interior puzzle wasnt too challenging, it could still put you on the wrong track, forcing you to battle multiple trainers in a row only to find out afterwards that you took the wrong path and none of those trainers were actually mandatory. the majority of them were decently challenging too (by core series standards), and the variety of types used in combination with aforementioned relative power really showed little me that I was nearing the endgame.

the biggest disappointment was giovanni because a fucking rhyhorn as an ace, man. you have a nidoking and nidoqueen. fucking rhyhorn. I suppose he did have a rhydon in rby, but thats barely better because fucking rock/ground as an ace against people playing shift mode reconsider your life choices. he also for some reason got rid of his kangaskhan, which makes sense because ground leader but then again doesnt make sense because he seems to be the only one to care about types in his gym otherwise.

My favorite Gym Leader is definitely Flannery. She inherited the gym of Lavaridge Town from her grandfather who was a member of the Elite 4 in the past. The manga made me like her even more. Her outfit, her unique hairstyle... I enjoyed her personality and her design so much that I couldn't resist to bring her to life in Reborn by creating her overworld sprites as well as a very detailed written playthrough including her childhood. What a source of inspiration! For me, the second one would be Winona! They're probably the two reasons why I still have good memories of Hoenn :D

05d.jpeg

Edited by Q-Jei

Whoops, my apologies. And yeah, my favorite gym is still Flannery's one. The maze was interesting, I enjoyed those pits and a gym shrouded in mist fits perfectly a Fire Gym Leader. I have nothing more to say, I guess.

My favorite gym is the Striaton City gym. Yes, it's the first gym in Unova and is easy as a result, but it does two things I've not seen in Pokemon up to that point: it teaches the elemental trio of what beats what to new players in a way that doesn't insult their intelligence, and the second and more important reason, is that what you fight against is based on who you chose as your starter. I enjoy that kind of dynamic, that the Gym Leader's team is different depending on some outside influence.

The other gym of great note is the Petalburg City Gym. It is the first time in EVER that you not only have a father, but face off against him. And he's no pushover either. It's a really satisfying gym and battle.