Pokemon LOTA 1.3

Sapphire Mahala

Finished it a few hours ago; route 15 is easily a highlight of the game for me! Also that cave of time sidequest: 

Spoiler

I wonder where Wacky is going with this. Are we really going to go forward 20 years so that we meet the unnamed "Dawn"?

I'm sooo damn hyped for the next chapter(s) but knowing that they'll probably take another 2 years (wasn't it about that much since 1.2?) is heart wrenching :( 

Wacky originally said that this update was going to be the last one, but it appears those plans have changed. Seems we have quite a bit more to look forward to. :D

And yeah, it was about 2.5 years since the last update. August 14th 2015 to be exact.

Mild spoilers regarding another HM in this game:

Strength was buffed to 100 base power. Have fun!

(I was hoping it'd be changed to a Rock type move instead, but a 100 BP STAB attack for Normal types is pretty hilarious too. Although chances are they'd already be using Return instead...)

1 hour ago, Filthy Casual said:

Started a new file. I'm loving this game so far, but I'm curious...

...where's the Thunderbolt TM? I don't want my Jolteon to be stuck with Thundershock for the whole game lol.

I'm pretty sure you don't find it until around the 5th tournament bout. Which is about 60-70% of the way through the game. Either that, or it was the Thunder TM.

The dev changed TMs to be infinite use now, when they were finite before.

I know eeveeloutions had their learnset adjusted for very obvious reasons, and IIRC believe Jolteon upgrades to Shock Wave around level 25 or so.

7 hours ago, Lucreto said:

Finished it a few hours ago; route 15 is easily a highlight of the game for me! Also that cave of time sidequest: 

Reveal hidden contents

I wonder where Wacky is going with this. Are we really going to go forward 20 years so that we meet the unnamed "Dawn"?

I'm sooo damn hyped for the next chapter(s) but knowing that they'll probably take another 2 years (wasn't it about that much since 1.2?) is heart wrenching :( 

I want to ask you, how did you get past the frozen tunnels? I've been stuck wandering around in there for an hour. The only path I haven't explored yet is the sliding puzzle room with a certain Pokemon in it, but I've been unable to reach it at all.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the way through.

5 hours ago, Alilatias said:

I want to ask you, how did you get past the frozen tunnels? I've been stuck wandering around in there for an hour. The only path I haven't explored yet is the sliding puzzle room with a certain Pokemon in it, but I've been unable to reach it at all.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the way through.

Yeah frozen tunnels and elliptic forest confused the hell out of me too, I do believe I traversed through out of sheer luck. That and the fact that there's no speed up button discourages me heavily from replaying the game... Might do it when the final thing is out.

By the way, when you catch

Spoiler

Rotom, is there any way to change its form before you get to the institute? Cuz the owner of the mansion mentioned somebody but I thought she was in the capital or something. I really didn't feel like losing that lil pal 😟

6 minutes ago, Lucreto said:

Yeah frozen tunnels and elliptic forest confused the hell out of me too, I do believe I traversed through out of sheer luck. That and the fact that there's no speed up button discourages me heavily from replaying the game... Might do it when the final thing is out.

By the way, when you catch

Hide contents

Rotom, is there any way to change its form before you get to the institute? Cuz the owner of the mansion mentioned somebody but I thought she was in the capital or something. I really didn't feel like losing that lil pal 😟

To be honest, when I went through elliptic forest, I tried to explore it thoroughly, and found a Pokemon healing station in the forest before I turned around (assuming I found the exit) to explore some more. And then I ended up stumbling upon... Yeah.

So, I assume whatever was beyond that healing station was important - and optional.

41 minutes ago, Alilatias said:

To be honest, when I went through elliptic forest, I tried to explore it thoroughly, and found a Pokemon healing station in the forest before I turned around (assuming I found the exit) to explore some more. And then I ended up stumbling upon... Yeah.

So, I assume whatever was beyond that healing station was important - and optional.

Speaking of that one, is he meant to be beaten? that 80 level mega evolution he had seemed too broken for my 68ish team. Any luck on your side?

8 minutes ago, Lucreto said:

Speaking of that one, is he meant to be beaten? that 80 level mega evolution he had seemed too broken for my 68ish team. Any luck on your side?

I was able to beat him, but only because it appears that there's a bug with Light Screen. A very old bug, to be exact. Using Light Screen makes your opponent skip their turns as long as it's up.

Bah, I returned to the Elliptic Forest in an attempt to find that healing station again, but I can't find it anymore. I guess parts of the forest are locked out once you're done with the events in the area.

Now that I think about it, that healing station was most likely a hallucination of some sort.

Holy moly, that's crazy! On my version he's like 

Spoiler

Okay I beat you now the grave beside me was meant for you I might as well use my brute force to throw you in there you wouldn't do anything in response mumbo jumbo, but after all it seems that winning or losing that battle doesn't make a difference - for now at least.

15 minutes ago, Lucreto said:

Holy moly, that's crazy! On my version he's like 

Hide contents

Okay I beat you now the grave beside me was meant for you I might as well use my brute force to throw you in there you wouldn't do anything in response mumbo jumbo, but after all it seems that winning or losing that battle doesn't make a difference - for now at least.

Yeah. In my version he was like...

Spoiler

Well, my character responded that he could try to use his Pokemon to defend himself, but the guy responded saying that the real world doesn't work out that way, and that my character's Pokemon would just hide in their Pokeballs and wouldn't be able to render any help. But either way, it seems it resolves the same way.

If there's any real difference for winning that battle, it's likely going to be in the very long term.

The levels of enemy Pokemon ramping up so high so quickly is starting to mildly frustrate me. My team is only in the level 63-66 range, and at this point I'm just using raw tactics to get through. I may have to sit down and grind, but the problem is, there's no readily available grind area near the last tournament location (since you can't fly back to the area just before the Elliptic Forest, meaning you have to go ALL THE WAY BACK THROUGH THE ICE TUNNEL if you want to revisit the area, which is quite the questionable design decision).

Did anyone have trouble downloading it? I'll download it (which takes about an hour and a half btw) and then it'll end up in my videos section for some reason and then when I try to extract it, it says it was either damaged or not there. So I have no idea what's going on there.

1 hour ago, J-Awesome_One said:

Did anyone have trouble downloading it? I'll download it (which takes about an hour and a half btw) and then it'll end up in my videos section for some reason and then when I try to extract it, it says it was either damaged or not there. So I have no idea what's going on there.

I downloaded from mega and it worked fine for me. Not sure about mediafire though.

Anyway, I have finished the demo and I really enjoyed it. Sad part is it's hard to find a team member I like. So far, I only have four on my team. While I don't need grinding due to this, I think it'd be great if there's a method for one if I add team members in the future. There are plenty of trainers across Aria so perhaps PokeGear rematch/VS Seeker will be a nice addition.

3 hours ago, Alilatias said:

Yeah. In my version he was like...

Hide contents

Well, my character responded that he could try to use his Pokemon to defend himself, but the guy responded saying that the real world doesn't work out that way, and that my character's Pokemon would just hide in their Pokeballs and wouldn't be able to render any help. But either way, it seems it resolves the same way.

If there's any real difference for winning that battle, it's likely going to be in the very long term.

The levels of enemy Pokemon ramping up so high so quickly is starting to mildly frustrate me. My team is only in the level 63-66 range, and at this point I'm just using raw tactics to get through. I may have to sit down and grind, but the problem is, there's no readily available grind area near the last tournament location (since you can't fly back to the area just before the Elliptic Forest, meaning you have to go ALL THE WAY BACK THROUGH THE ICE TUNNEL if you want to revisit the area, which is quite the questionable design decision).

Yeah, now that you mention it, the dialogue is the same on my version too. I think that even though the enemy mons are overleveled, they aren't EV trained (or little at all), so even a 5-6 level difference is basically nullified. But yeah we're getting behind far too quickly.. I cannot fathom what level the pokemon in the finals will be.

For people who have already entered the research institute:

Spoiler

Did you catch rotom? I caught it and then had to give it up in the event that happens when you first enter the institute, so I was wondering if the scene is different if you didn't catch it. Or do you obtain the rotom somehow even if you beat it?

I reached the end of the demo. Went through the Cave of Time and Route 15.

Jeez. Never doubt the power of a fangame purely fueled by incredible writing and visual/sound direction. Route 15 brought tears to my eyes.

(I wonder what happens if you move forward from Route 15 without doing what I assume was the optional sidequest in the area? Alas, we won't find out, for now.)

Almost done with this version (at least that's what I think now that I have my seventh medal). I had a huge blast with this game! Not sure who my final member will be (tried to cheese the game, but they wouldn't give me Froslass from a Dawn Stone, lol), but I'm enjoying each member. Having said that...

Spoiler

...and this is a HUGE side spoiler...

Spoiler

HOLY SHIT!

5a7d09a08ea8b_ScreenShot2018-02-08at8_38_05PM.png.9a984494edbbe893f82e4c2bf19c4df1.png

It's been a few days. Let's talk plot.

Spoiler

The way the plot went into rather deep territory was somewhat surprising, but replaying the game from the start, the setup for this was already happening from the very beginning of the game. That said, I'm incredibly excited, because of two things:

1) We don't know who the real villians/antagonists are. It's rather refreshing that Bryce was built up to be the game's main antagonist, but it turns out he was just a figurehead within the organization that was helping us whole time in order to take down the real (apparent) antagonist, Adrian. Even then, the government itself seems to be quite shady too, and it's also apparent that Laura and her father are essentially on opposing sides when it comes to their views on the tournament.

2) It's also great that the protagonist is now questioning what purpose the tournament even holds these days (it started out as a noble search for talented trainers, but it has clearly been corrupted now), the role of Pokemon in the world, and the questionable actions/policies of this region's society at large - especially in regards to the scientists taking Rotom away. That scene worked SO well in this game due to how it was established that even owning a Ghost type is a major thing, and it shows that the protagonist is NOT immune to the draconian policies of the apparent good guys as well. The player may have only owned Rotom for less than half an hour, but the authorities outright taking away a party member for absolutely nothing in return for reasons that would make the player emphasize with their own character's thoughts on the situation makes for major emotional impact.

(It's the kind of thing that might make players want to use Rotom in their endgame party once they get it back, IF we get it back at all. Although my Rotom had a Modest nature too.)

There's only one other fangame I've played that really makes the player think about how much Pokemon really changed the world, and that's Postscriptum. And that's a very recent fangame, whereas LotA has existed for about 6-7 years now. One would think there would be more fangames exploring those types of concepts, but if there were, the concepts either didn't take center stage or weren't written nearly as well as LotA and Postscriptum.

3) The Cave of Time sidequest heavily implies that the creator MIGHT be considering a sequel to Legends of the Arena, taking place 20 years in the future. This is especially considering that the girl does not give out her name. It's an exciting thought, but I'd hope the creator is actually able to finish LotA first. Still, a 2.5 year wait is better than the project being abandoned entirely. Fans will wait however long it takes for a quality update, and this update delivered in spades. What the creator did with the background/transition after repairing Route 15's generator is honestly the most impressive thing I've ever seen out of any Pokemon fangame, both from a design and a technical standpoint.

@Alilatias, it's time for a prediction...

Spoiler

There's a part in the game where you're introduced to the Dragon Master on the TV. I remember she says something among the lines of "He sure looks like final boss material." Strangely enough, "final boss" is highlighted in red. As such, here's what I predict (and this is also Cave of Time side quest spoilers)...

Spoiler

I predict the president and Adrien will be after each other. However, in a fit of arrogance, the dragon master will capture Giratina, and you will have to use Celebi on the top of the mountain in order to stop him. I'll predict it'll be like a rematch, as you will have humiliated him at the grand finals.