Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here. I didn't get very far in previous versions of rejuvenation due to lack of time, but have now started over in v9 and just finished the west gearen garbodor fight. I had a couple of thoughts that I just had to get out of my chest, so please bear with me, and sorry for any formatting mistakes I might make on the post or if other posters have already said the same things (which they very well might have).

First off, let me say I absolutely love this game. It's challenging but manageable in normal mode (I did need some cheese strategies against the yveltal and a couple others, but all's well that ends well), the region is huge, the selection of pokemon is so big that I'll probably still change my team around a bit (whereas I never bothered to train more than 6 pokemon in regular games), the increased shiny chance is much appreciated, the story sucks you in and keeps you wondering (I'm not even sure who the real bad guys are here, I don't trust anyone as far as I can throw them), and the side quests are incredibly fun. Seriously, the first thing I do every time I get to a new town is eagerly look for the help center.

But there's just one tiny thing that makes me curse at my computer, and that's everyone's reactions to me, the player character, and specifically their underwhelming response to my achievements. I'm here planning strategies and training my pokemon to beat the bad guys and running around solving everyone's problems (looking at you, Venam, Melia & co.) while they do the bare minimum, and nobody gives me any credit!

Let's start with Melia, since she's the worst offender. The last drop was right after the second battle with the garbodor. I had the weird diary, and what can I do with it? Give it to Melia. She gets to make the big reveal and acts as if she's the one who discovered it. Oh no you didn't! You were nowhere to be seen! I was the one who ran around snooping through every nook and cranny until I stumbled upon this thing! I seriously considered not showing her the damn thing just because I knew she was going to hog the spotlight once again, but I felt sorry for the garbodor after everyone kept calling it ugly and stinky all through the sewers. 

As you can tell, this makes me so mad, and it's the only thing that kind of sours her character for me. I can deal with not being the "chosen one" since apparently she is. That's fine, we can make a "moral of the story" out of it once I beat everyone and become the Aevium champion. Hard work beats god-given gifts and all that. She finds shiny pokemon everywhere she goes? Fine by me, shiny or not mine still beat yours every time. She gets trained by superheroes in Goku's time chamber? Well my pokemon were trained in regular ol' patches of grass, and that's fine because we don't need no magic shenanigans to help us get strong. All that is perfectly fine, but I will NOT stand for her stealing my rightful credit!

It's like she's an addict! She can't let me do a single thing without butting her nose in! Amber wants me to fight two gym leaders at once? Bring them on! But oh wait, here's little miss I-stick-my-nose-in-other-people's-business, ready to help! Kindly piss off and let me do my thing, Melia! I don't want you sending your stupid fairy types against the steel and poison gym leaders! Of course, she was out of pokemon by round three, and left me to pick up the pieces at a disadvantage. "You both did so well!" says Tesla. Uh, were we watching the same match? I did just fine, thank you very much, but that was despite Melia's uncalled for "halping".

Another time that grinds my gears is at the top of that volcano, where she insists on rescuing Nim herself. "She's my responsibility, so I'm the one who pulls the chain to save Nim!" It's not your responsibility, it's mine! I'm the one who's been battling these people all over the mountain while you came up with a perfect plan to send your poor zorua off with two dangerous, evil freaks while you hide behind a rock. I'm Nim's "best friend". I'm the only one she knows from our merry gang. I'm the one who's been chasing her around every route playing hide and seek. You don't get the credit for saving her! Aaaand of course she bungled up the chain-yanking and I get thrown into lava. Hooray for Melia! There's so much more I could say (don't get me started on her oh-so-clever ruse at Blacksteeple castle), but I think I've made my point clear by now, so I'll end it here.

Next up is Venam. Let's go back to our stinky friend garbodor for a sec. To add insult to injury, after I (with no outside help, may I add! All on my lonesome!) once again defeat the garbodor, Venam keeps saying "WE" did it! Excuse me? You did fuck all! I did all the work here while you thought it was a great idea to keep insulting the rabid, demon-ified pokemon and Melia played big brother from the clean, safe security room. "We" did jack shit. "I" saved the city by myself and now you want me to share the credit? Hell no! 

Good job making me feel like a third-wheel on my own adventure too, by the way, Venam. Even though I'm the one actually being useful, she acts like it's all about Melia and her. What am I, spare change? They tell me to go away from her room back at Crawli's so they can jump up and down to her music, they commandeer MY room at Tesla's so princess Melia can rest when there's a perfectly good hotel right next door (Venam even calls it "Melia's room". I confess it hurt that no one even acknowledge that it was ME who was graciously giving up her bed here. Not that I had any choice, since no one bothered to ask me, but still!), and on the boat ride to west gearen Venam goes on about how she wants to have a day for "just the two of them". Well if prior events have been any indication, you'll both be dead by noon without me, so good luck with your super-exclusive "day of fun"! I'll be hanging out with your dad, since he actually appreciates my efforts.

There are many more people who act this way towards Aevium's number-one boy scout (me!), but since this is so long it's probably already making me look like a lunatic I'll just finish off with a quick comment on Adam (the gym leader with the blue hair that tags along with Valerie & co.). Just to show that it's not only our so-called "friends" who constantly undervalue us, but everyone else too. When we need another badge to surf, he says I'm not on his level yet? Well if I'm not on your level, then who is? No one, apparently, since I'm the one who not even a day ago beat a level 100 yveltal with a fuck-you custom move while everyone else was quaking in their boots. And if you're so tough, where the hell were you in that fight? Beating up meat-shield mooks around the castle? Running off like Scooby Doo towards the boat like everyone else? Certainly not helping, he was nowhere to be seen! I can't wait to beat his smug ass too.

Anyway, sorry for the essay, although I'll admit it's felt wonderful to get that off my chest. I will say though, I just went snooping around Akuwa town since I didn't feel like continuing with the main story just yet, and I had a wonderful surprise! Every single person in that town actually recognized me and thanked me for saving their lives! It almost made me tear up, that's how good it felt to finally be acknowledged! So to anyone who has the same thoughts as me about our ungrateful main-character friends, do yourselves a favour and take a trip to Akuwa town. Shame I didn't find the old man who let us fall into the trap in the first place, since I would have loved to give him a piece of my mind. Still, 10/10 would recommend Akuwa town for a moral pick-me-up.

To finish! To Jan and the rest of the team, if you actually read this, please don't take it the wrong way. I love the game, and it's quickly becoming my favourite fan game ever, along with insurgence, so, really, thank you for all your hard work, and know that everyone appreciates it very much! I just get too passionate when I start writing and can never seem to stop.

As for my plea, pretty please with a cherry on top, could you give us the option in future updates to just say no when people offer help? It doesn't have to be for past events, either, I wouldn't want you to have to rewrite an already great story, but, as the storyline progresses, please let our poor character assert a bit of independence from time to time. Just something like "Do you want my help against Madame X?" "No thanks, I got this.". I don't even care if I end up with negative karma points and all the gang thinks I'm a loner. Just give credit where credit is due! Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's! Let me have my moment in the spotlight!

Thank you for reading, and have a great day!

I agree with you about the spotlight thing. Though not for the reasons you listed, i too kinda get pissed by Melia. As for Adam and him saying that the player isnt on his level, it's basically the same charlotte ( or how her name is spelled ) said to the player in Reborn. Meaning that his team is too high leveled for us . He even said that he is a high ranking gym leader when we were in the prison. 

3 hours ago, YouGotLittUp said:

But there's just one tiny thing that makes me curse at my computer, and that's everyone's reactions to me, the player character, and specifically their underwhelming response to my achievements. I'm here planning strategies and training my pokemon to beat the bad guys and running around solving everyone's problems (looking at you, Venam, Melia & co.) while they do the bare minimum, and nobody gives me any credit!

A real hero doesn't do it for the praise 😤

35 minutes ago, Sardines said:

It's still feels nice to get recognition now and again. It's a small thing, but one of my favorite throw-away lines in reborn is Charlotte calling the protag a wrecking ball when preparing for Meteor's attack on Belrose Manse. It's just one sentence, but it shows that somebody paid attention to what we're doing. It doesn't even need to be a "You're the great hero" moment, even just somebody noting that things seem to be going better now without knowing why can feel rewarding because it shows that our actions had an effect.

@topic: Melia just kind of sucks the whole plot into her when she's around, that's an issue I noticed.

The fact that the game often has so many characters around doesn't help since their interactions will inevitable bounce off of Melia. As a player it often just kind of feels like you're tagging along to do the heavy lifting rather than being there out of your own agency and drive to act.

5 hours ago, Pozyher said:

I agree with you about the spotlight thing. Though not for the reasons you listed, i too kinda get pissed by Melia. As for Adam and him saying that the player isnt on his level, it's basically the same charlotte ( or how her name is spelled ) said to the player in Reborn. Meaning that his team is too high leveled for us . He even said that he is a high ranking gym leader when we were in the prison. 

Sorry if I'm not replying correctly, I haven't posted anything else on the forums yet!

Yeah I get that, but it felt kind of strange hearing this guy who did nothing of note at the prison while we had to beat a max-level legendary say that he won't bother to battle you because you couldn't beat him. It's like... well nice to know I apparently did nothing amazing back there, I guess it was just another regular tuesday for Adam!

I haven't gotten too far in reborn yet, I'll pick it up again once I finish rejuvenation!

4 hours ago, Sardines said:

Oh certainly! Let Melia be the hero then, I want to be a regular ol' praise-hog!

3 hours ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

@topic: Melia just kind of sucks the whole plot into her when she's around, that's an issue I noticed.

The fact that the game often has so many characters around doesn't help since their interactions will inevitable bounce off of Melia. As a player it often just kind of feels like you're tagging along to do the heavy lifting rather than being there out of your own agency and drive to act.

Completely agree. I think that's why I like the help quests so much, since they're the only time we actually get to go achieve things on our own. It's sad that even team anti-assist seems to take us more seriously than the main gang!

3 hours ago, Hycrox said:

when will melia die again, so there's a whole tragic arc until she comes back?

Never, I hope. She already stole our thunder at the team xen castle, and we beat a level 100 legendary there when our level cap was around the 40s. I haven't managed to forgive her yet, and I don't think I ever will!

3 hours ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

It doesn't even need to be a "You're the great hero" moment, even just somebody noting that things seem to be going better now without knowing why can feel rewarding because it shows that our actions had an effect.

Second reply to you, sorry! But I just noticed the league manager girl who gives us our first pokemon (Amaria, I think? I always seem to remember her as Amanda for some reason) at west gearen, and I remembered your reply. She blames us for the gym leaders disappearing, and that's the highest amount of recognition I've gotten from a main character so far. At least it's something, but, Jesus, you're welcome for saving your town I guess!

Edited by YouGotLittUp
word*

1 hour ago, YouGotLittUp said:

Second reply to you, sorry! But I just noticed the league manager girl who gives us our first pokemon (Amaria, I think? I always seem to remember her as Amanda for some reason) at west gearen, and I remembered your reply. She blames us for the gym leaders disappearing, and that's the highest amount of recognition I've gotten from a main character so far. At least it's something, but, Jesus, you're welcome for saving your town I guess!

Her name used to be Amaria, but it was changed to Amanda in V9.

That moment was pretty funny; at least she realized we're always involved.

I think it's possible, that our out of game canon and the in game canon of events is different and that would be why they always say "We" did it rather than "you" since a single person defeating a legendary unassisted sounds doubtful especially with not many badges to their name

@Gentleman Jaggi Ohh, that's why I keep confusing her name then. Thanks for clarifying! And yeah lol, but if Melia & co. are sharing the credit they should also share the blame, it's only fair.

@Lord Drakyle Must be, or else they're all just taking advantage of the poor nearly-mute player character to steal all the glory. Still, some acknowledgment would be nice, otherwise sometimes it seems like all our hard work was for nothing. Nobody even mentions you beating that yveltal, all they talk about after the castle events is Melia coming back, and if they deign to mention you it's only to say how sorry they are for your mother dying.

Nice timing for Melia there, too, now that I think about it. Would it have killed her to hit Madame X with the laser 5 seconds earlier? We were very nearly kebab'd by an evil overlord, for christ's sake! Between her suspicious timing there and our falling in the lava I'm beginning to suspect she really wants the player gone so she can hoard the glorious spotlight all to herself.

I bet she even keeps that garbodor for herself once it's un-demonized, since she "created it" by throwing a trash bag in the sewers and forgetting about it until Venam reminded her. (Although please no spoilers if we do get to catch it, I'd love to be pleasantly surprised and proved wrong).

1 hour ago, Lord Drakyle said:

I think it's possible, that our out of game canon and the in game canon of events is different and that would be why they always say "We" did it rather than "you" since a single person defeating a legendary unassisted sounds doubtful especially with not many badges to their name

Of the top if my head I remember we have to fight Giratina, Kyogre, Groudon and Yveltal.
With Madame X's Yveltal Aelita is around, although she doesn't participate in the fight (at least in gameplay).
Kyogre and Groudon I'm pretty sure the player is alone with, but that also means there isn't exactly anyone around who'd bother to tell that story.

Giratina... There's a big deal made out of it at firstwhen Geara catches it but from then on it mostly just gets ignored. The battle with it on Valor Mountain just about gets ignored by everyone save Venam (including Giratina itself yeahyeah, just go around tossing people into lava like you didn't just get your ass handed to you by a Fearow)

12 minutes ago, YouGotLittUp said:

@Lord Drakyle Nobody even mentions you beating that yveltal, all they talk about after the castle events is Melia coming back, and if they deign to mention you it's only to say how sorry they are for your mother dying.

To be fair here the only one who's around here is Aelita and Yveltal isn't exactly something you're supposed to be able to beat with anything but uncounterable cheese strategies. You can't really make "You're supposed to lose here" any more clearer than throwing a max Level Legendary at you. Well, aside from throwing several of them at you.

Also, if I just had to fight a deathbird and then afterwards my mother got murdered I'd probably care more about the latter; it'd probably be reasonable for the NPCs to not really bring up Yveltal because the protagonist is still in mourning and there just isn't a good moment to bring that up.

8 minutes ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

Of the top if my head I remember we have to fight Giratina, Kyogre, Groudon and Yveltal.
With Madame X's Yveltal Aelita is around, although she doesn't participate in the fight (at least in gameplay).
Kyogre and Groudon I'm pretty sure the player is alone with, but that also means there isn't exactly anyone around who'd bother to tell that story.

Giratina... There's a big deal made out of it at firstwhen Geara catches it but from then on it mostly just gets ignored. The battle with it on Valor Mountain just about gets ignored by everyone save Venam (including Giratina itself yeahyeah, just go around tossing people into lava like you didn't just get your ass handed to you by a Fearow)

To be fair here the only one who's around here is Aelita and Yveltal isn't exactly something you're supposed to be able to beat with anything but uncounterable cheese strategies. You can't really make "You're supposed to lose here" any more clearer than throwing a max Level Legendary at you. Well, aside from throwing several of them at you.

Also, if I just had to fight a deathbird and then afterwards my mother got murdered I'd probably care more about the latter; it'd probably be reasonable for the NPCs to not really bring up Yveltal because the protagonist is still in mourning and there just isn't a good moment to bring that up.

you know a story is working with something though if it can make you mourn for your in game mother's death and want to remember them with the mawile the captain gives you

I was annoyed by this too but never give much thought into it until I found this thread. We weren't really appreciated much, do we ? Looking back on it I only remember the time where Amber thanks us for saving her if you go save her from Kyogre  and that's about it. Still it's doesn't bother me much I kinda hate how we got dragged along everywhere more tbh , like, why am I going to the past again? cause Melia's going duh. I like it more at the beginning of the game where we were by ourselves. 

On 20/1/2018 at 9:46 PM, Gentleman Jaggi said:

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't had too much free time lately!

So far, Mosely, the ghost gym leader, Melia, Venam and the team Xen guys have seen us beat Giratina. I thought Amber, Tesla and Madelis hadn't been able to control the Kyogre themselves, so they knew what we had to go through to save them. For Groudon I think I recall the elder being there? And yeah, only Aelita was there for the Yveltal, what a shame. Still, a comment like "wow lucky her Yveltal wasn't there to take the hit from Melia's laser for Madame X. Oh wow, what do you mean you beat it five minutes ago?" would have been fun!

On 23/1/2018 at 10:56 PM, Rezials said:

I was annoyed by this too but never give much thought into it until I found this thread. We weren't really appreciated much, do we ? Looking back on it I only remember the time where Amber thanks us for saving her if you go save her from Kyogre  and that's about it. Still it's doesn't bother me much I kinda hate how we got dragged along everywhere more tbh , like, why am I going to the past again? cause Melia's going duh. I like it more at the beginning of the game where we were by ourselves. 

Again, sorry for taking so much time to reply!

Yeah, another issue is we don't really feel like we're going along with this adventure because we want to. Crescent keeps saying "stop going along with them, just do your own thing", and I'm always like... well I wish, but no can do! 

So since they keep dragging us into all these messes, they could at least recognize that we're the MVP of their little gang!

Aelita>>>>Melia. In fact, Aelita and Nim are the best girls in Rejuvenation, by far.

Aelita recognises how weak she initially is and actually tries to become stronger. She acknowledges the MC. She helps the MC. And she was damn useful every time I teamed up with her. Especially in the Psychic badge battle, I swear to god, she did more work than I did AND with a disadvantage! Plus, Aelita shows flaws in her character. Melia always appears perfect, which kinda makes her seem fake.

Hell, Aelita even nearly sacrificed herself in order to help... How can anyone not love Aelita?

I'll add on to that, as I agree with you. There's a fight with Zetta when you first arrive on Terajuma. Your "friends" send out their Pokemon in order to battle, but as soon as the fight starts, you're the only one who actually does any fighting. After you win, however, THIS happens:

Spoiler

6z9HQub.png

Cc8F1BU.png

jKmGRc1.png

Stop acting as if you DID anything. I'm the one who kicked his ass!

48 minutes ago, Filthy Casual said:

I'll add on to that, as I agree with you. There's a fight with Zetta when you first arrive on Terajuma. Your "friends" send out their Pokemon in order to battle, but as soon as the fight starts, you're the only one who actually does any fighting. After you win, however, THIS happens:

Hide contents

6z9HQub.png

Cc8F1BU.png

jKmGRc1.png

Stop acting as if you DID anything. I'm the one who kicked his ass!

Oh wow I can't believe I forgot about that one, especially since it ticked me off so badly when it happened. They could at least have put some grunts up there with Zetta so it looked like our helpful friendos actually fought someone. Otherwise what the hell did Zetta have, like 40 pokemon to fight everyone at once? Or did the scooby gang just stand menacingly on the sidelines with their pokemon out waiting to pounce with their witty remarks to steal our credit again after we did the heavy lifting?

Honestly, there have been times in the game where I wish we could join Team Xen, if only so we could do something people actually acknowledge.

10 hours ago, YouGotLittUp said:

So far, Mosely, the ghost gym leader, Melia, Venam and the team Xen guys have seen us beat Giratina. I thought Amber, Tesla and Madelis hadn't been able to control the Kyogre themselves, so they knew what we had to go through to save them. For Groudon I think I recall the elder being there?

Yeah, there were a bunch of people around for Giratina, but it was just kind of "oh noes, Giratina!" *battle* and then nothing. Nobody cares we just beat a Legendary. Can't remember if Amber and Tesla ever specifically mention Kyogre. My memory of that part is somewhat foggy. The elde was there for Groudon, but she wasn't exactly happy about being down there in that ruin and then she got taken hostage. Probably not in the mood to praise our heroism.

3 hours ago, YouGotLittUp said:

I like Tesla too, she's the first one to empathize with the player, and it was touching when she offered us a room for ourselves at her house.

Tesla is best girl.

Tesla is best and probably only character so far in the story that actually seems to be concerned with the main character instead of just doing whatever the heck they are doing till the cosmic handy man aka you show up. I mean seriously im good 12h in the story got second badge and all but i still don´t know what is the motivation of the player character to go on this quest. I guess he is on a quest to do something just i don´t know what is perhaps nothing and his mind is slowly losing it while running around doing shit for other people.

I guess the player character is a cosmic handyman on a quest to help everyone around him while getting ignored all the time and thrown into places with lunatics (your friendly npcs) and what nots (the evil team).

Excelent pokemon game still