My Own Personal Demons.

Ageistal

Since I was about 7, I've had issues with mental health and depression. I've since been prescribed Zoloft and, well, to be honest, I hate it. It stops me from being "Me", If that makes sense? I just..... I don't find happiness anymore and I'm out of options. Any ideas?

I'm sorry you feel that way.  I too have issues with depression, in case you couldn't tell. However, I have never been prescribed medication, and I wouldn't want to take it anyway, so I can't really help you with that. But if you'd like to talk about your problems and help each other out I'm happy to do that. It beats trying to solve our problems alone and its always great to have someone to talk to.

The best thing you can do is to talk about it with someone you trust. If you don't think you can easily talk about it with people you could always go to a psychologist/psychiatrist. It's not a weird thing to do and even if you don't like it at first it can help you a lot.

6 hours ago, Ageistal said:

Since I was about 7, I've had issues with mental health and depression. I've since been prescribed Zoloft and, well, to be honest, I hate it. It stops me from being "Me", If that makes sense? I just..... I don't find happiness anymore and I'm out of options. Any ideas?

It makes sense, but it's rather vague. For a change of perspective, consider that some people enjoy moderate to heavy drinking because it stops them from being their usual self. It can make people more relaxed or energetic, and more outgoing by loosening inhibitions, etc. You also have to consider that there are things that are naturally 'you' that causes the conditions that result in you being prescribed these medications in the first place. To change your cognition and behavior patterns is precisely what these drugs are meant to do. So you have to stop and take an objective inventory (preferably with the help of trusted friends and family) of of how you feel and what you can and cannot do while on or off the medication.

You should take steps to try to further explore and understand the reasons for your dislike of using the medication and try to find out what are things you can do and take advantage of while on them.

Does it change your mood? Does it affect your behavior in a positive way from an outside point of view? Do you feel that the medications change your values? What are the noticeable effects in your decision making?

You have to open up and be honest with your feelings in order to understand and conquer what you need to conquer, accept what you need to accept, and change what needs to change. It could be that zoloft doesn't particularly fit you and there could be a better alternative. It's a sad fact that pharmaceutical companies wine and dine medical professionals all the time and make deals to promote different procedures, drugs, equipment and devices, etc, to give them a commercial edge over their competition. It would behoove you and your parents/guardians to demand information about alternative drugs and treatments if you've taken the time to really explore what you have now and decide that it isn't working for you. And/or get a second opinion.

I also had to take antidepressants for quite some time. My advice is not to quit taking your medicine on your own unless your doctor and/or therapist explicitly recommends it. Talk to them about your current feelings. Its a known side effect of antidepressants to cause such suicidal tendencies and feelings of emptiness.

On 1/19/2018 at 11:10 AM, Maelstrom said:

You should take steps to try to further explore and understand the reasons for your dislike of using the medication and try to find out what are things you can do and take advantage of while on them.

Does it change your mood? Does it affect your behavior in a positive way from an outside point of view? Do you feel that the medications change your values? What are the noticeable effects in your decision making?

Well, what it is is the fact they make me.... not me? I become even more sluggish and lose any form of care, even for the thongs and ones I love and I hat that more than anything else.

Aegistal,

I'm sorry to hear of your struggle with depression. I have (and I am currently) going through a relapse of my depression, but I've never been prescribed medication. The thing about antidepressants(or any advertised medicines you see on t.v.) is that it introduces tons of side-effects for the hope that a person's mood will be boosted. In my opinion and from the description of the medicine's effect on you, it doesn't seem like it is helping at all. The best medicine for depression is to talk to someone you genuinely trust, and this person must be respectful of you as well. It won't do you any good to find a person who brushes off depression. Whether it be here in the forums or somewhere in real life, talking to someone will be the best remedy for depression. I would also advocate lots of self-care or treating yourself whenever you can. I think it's best that we reward ourselves even for the small victories. The road to recovery is long and hard, but I, as well as others in the Reborn community, will be happy to have your back whenever you need us. Please don't be afraid to talk to us, and we'll do our best to offer as much support as we possibly can.