Rate my Garchomp

Zander

Just now, NickCrash said:

Scarf with Outrage. I like your passion. In a competitive environment I would never try it, but here anything might go well enough. 

lol what?! I use scarf outrage on every ou team I make and it always works

I personally prefer Dragon Claw over Outrage because if I Fairy switches in you're pretty much done. Other than that, very dig dug chompers.

Yeah, I know you're planning to run Choice Scarf chompers, but I'd also ditch Poison Jab for Swords Dance because the jab is kinda useless if you can Earthquake, but since that's not possible right now, yeah, Jab dem fairies.

@HUEnd

Poison Jab is good against grass and fairy. I guess scarf works very nicely because of team preview but in certain cases like gym battles I will know for sure that there are no fairy types and can easily outrage to kill 2 members.

I use scarf outrage on every ou team I make and it always works

It's not a sound tactic. It might work for unprepared opponents or random teams with little synergy. Def invested pokemon and Fairies will get you locked in Outrage and either proceed to setup or revenge kill. That's why most players choose Dragon Claw since they value consistency over risk. 

My Gabite's jaw dropped upon seeing Cynthia

Your Garchomp is amazing, overall. ~

I agree with outrage/earthquake + scarf combo

You should get rid of poison jab for another move, like Shadow Claw. I would tell you Iron Head for a Fairy counter but that's a egg move.

Quote is (oh-what a surprise!) broken, so...

@Zander

Well duh, I'm not about to use outrage on a skarmory or any pokemon when there is a fairy at full health. It's all about timing. It also takes out battle bond greninja while earthquake does not.

"When there is a Fairy at full health"? Even if there's a Fairy at 1 HP, you can lose a fight by choosing Outrage. Outrage is no good competitively, because most teams will have a Fairy (mostly using them as Specially defensive walls).

Now, when it comes to "I won't use it vs Skarmory or anyone when there is a Fairy" there are two obvious problems. One is being revenge killed, even if you use it vs a defensively weak pokemon and get one KO. Imagine a Clefble coming in and setting up Stealth Rocks, then Moonblasting you. Or a Klefki. Well, GG. Second problem is the fact that opponent can switch. Dragon Claw or even Dragon Rush are much better than Outrage.

Also, like others said, Poison Jab isn't that good without STAB. And, if you want it to face Fairies, I don't see why you would even try to face Fairies with Garchomp (unless you run a Dragon monotype). 

Personally, I'd prefer Bulldoze over Dig for the time being. Even the current AI is clever enough to switch out vs this kind of moves. Unless you use Power Herb, which you won't, because you opt for Choice Scarf. But the Speed control is quite useful, till you get Scarf.

I'd give your Garchomp a 7/10 at the moment.

Losing points for Outrage, Dig, Poison Jab, the fact that Stone Edge isn't maxed at 8PP and (most importantly), cause it's Garchomp. The lovely dragon hammerhead shark that is a Ground type, but can Fly, dig holes, swim and is a complete overkill (biased when it comes to the 'mon, but my suggestions were genuine).

• Veterans

I wouldn't really bother with a Choice Scarf when there's much better forms of speed control for an in game setting. You're best off getting Bulldoze/Dragon Claw or Rush/Stone Edge/Iron Head for now with a Life Orb.

@Jess

- Facing Fairies with Garchomp:

Most fairies are slower than Garchomp so with a Life Orb, and just a bit of chip damage, Garchomp can pretty easily finish them off by hitting their generally low physical defense with Poison Jab or Iron Head. Iron head is the better option here as it hits Ice types for super effective damage too, and is generally more reliable than Stone Edge.

- Outrage

If Stomping Tantrum tutor was in right now, I'd absolutely suggest Outrage on the last move slot. The raw power increase from Dragon Claw > Outrage is obscene, not to mention that most people play on shift mode, meaning after a KO, Outrage's drawback is entirely negated. If the AI has a fairy type to switch to, just don't use Outrage until they're in range for a sure KO. Trust me, having basically tested out nearly every inch of the new AI, exploiting it is pretty easy.

- Stone Edge PP

Where in the world does one procure some PP Max. I need myself some of these for my own Garchomp and Rhyperior.

Finally this should be moved to Team Showcase, tagging @Ice Cream Sand Witch for this.

@Zander I didn't say anything bad... And, actually, the pic you sent says the same I told you. "Locking Garchomp into Outrage can leave it in a very vulnerable position". I doubt that it will be a move that the new AI won't be able to exploit. That's why I still believe Dragon Claw is (much) better. Or, you can do the Draconium-Z Outrage thing.

You can also teach it Aqua Tail in Reborn via a Move Tutor at Agate Circus (I think). Or was it 7th Street? Well, I doubt you'll face many Tapu-Bulu's (or mons 4x weak to Poison in general in Reborn), that's why I suggested you altered it.

@Azeria True about Fairies. But, I took for granted that he will use Choice Scarf, so, I doubt Iron Head/Poison Jab will OHKO. I'd take Iron Head over Poison Jab for the flinch chance.

I thought that, even in Shift mode, Outrage doesn't let you swap out after a OHKO. I've tried it many times, in fact... (Just tried it again, Shift mode, E17, with my Arcanine, on Clown Indra. KO'ed Castform, then he sent in Amoonguss, I was forced to stay in. Shift mode doesn't nullify Outrages locking you in battle)

Dunno about the PP max... I only know you can buy (I think) PP ups, or Pickup them...

@Jess

Well of course outrage locks you in but it's all about prediction. Firstly garchomp is a late game sweeper. You would be an idiot to start off a battle with outrage on garchomp. That's basically asking to be set up on. That's why you rely on scarf earthquake or stone edge in the early stages. Then you make sure to down the opponent's steel/fairy type during the battle while doing chip damage. Once that is done then garchomp sweeps with outrage, literally. Nothing stops it except intimidate or a good wall. That's how I use garchomp. Thanks for the aqua tail thing though. I'll check it out in Agate circus.

• Veterans

@Jess

You're right on the Outrage thing it seems. Weird, thought set mode allowed you to switch out. I'd probably still keep it on as a last resort simply for the raw power. Same for the Iron Head thing.

I'll be on the lookout for those then, super useful for my ghost mono too.

@Zander

Sticking solely to Choice Scarf is a pretty bad idea/waste of other items it could possibly run. Not like Hardy or Saphira are gunna put up much of a fight against it's overwhelming advantage against them anyways. Not like you can get Choice Scarf without try harding against Indra anyways.

@Zander That sounds like a good way of using Garchomp! And yes, it gets complimented by Spikes/Stealth Rock support. Helps it get those Outrage OHKO's.

I checked, and Aqua Tail is taught by the Move Tutor on 7th Street. You have to buy all the 'mons there first though...

@Jess

I have all the mons already so i guess I'll just go and teach him aqua tail. Thanks

@Azeria

Yeah sticking to choice scarf only is probably a bad idea. Well it's basically the thing I bred my garchomp for. Btw this is just emergency and maybe champion pokemon. I always like to use my bad IV ingame team with EVs just to boost up the difficulty. I enjoy battles like that more. But worse come to worse I'll just toss over my life orb from greninja to garchomp. Thanks for the suggestion.