"Colige" starter pack

Chase

Alright guys - so I had this idea sitting here in my on-campus apartment to use this thread as a "quality-approved" symposium of items you should want for when you decide to move out and reside on campus for studies. There are a lot of things -I- like, but if I buy the same things all the time, I'll never know the things that are actually great that I am missing out on. I figured since many of you guys are also around my age, you guys have some products you swear by as well.

The only rule is to be specific with the item's name. An example would be identifying "Tide Pods" instead of "laundry detergent" as a soap to wash your clothes with.

Anyway, here's some things that I think are good. I'm using the approach of the classic "microfridge" set up you get in a dormitory. It's a miniature ice-box (often without a freezer) with a microwave set up above it, that you still have to share with your roommate.

---

1. Fruity Pebbles and (any) Milk.

Fruity Pebbles is a fantastic sugar cereal. It kind of tastes like Trix (that's the fruit-shaped cereal with the Rabbit on the box) but has the texture and size of Rice Krispies, which I find to be a more filling cereal texture, similar to Muesli or Post's Honey Bunches of Oats. For those of you that are more open to chocolate over fruit, there's Cocoa Pebbles.

This works out really nicely with the microfridge setup because milk is often packaged in various sizes, and certain sizes -can- fit your fridge while leaving you more space for more things and not taking up space your roommate might want. For maximum efficiency, eat your cereal out of a disposable Solo cup with a disposable spoon. The trash is usually always easier to take out and you are unlikely to have a dishwasher in your dormitory.

---

2. Canned Soda

With microfridges, odds are you are probably always going to eating with a meal plan (which is a GOOD thing to purchase. The cafeteria at college is usually all you can eat, and the food is significantly better than your crappy high school fare.) This means most of your items in your fridge should be liquids OTHER than water. However, Sodas (and bottles of water, if you don't agree with me) are nice to have in cans that come in boxes or are held together with plastic links. They aren't too big, and can only be stuck in the fridge long enough to get cold before you drink it in clear the space. These liquids are not imperative to keep in the fridge all the time, like milk is. Juices and the like are also like this. Only put as much as you are willing to drink fairly soon in, and keep the rest of your beverages elsewhere, like in the closet, in a drawer, or under your bed. Your roommate will again, appreciate it, and you will be economical, and refreshed if you need something to drink outside of the cafeteria.

1)  Ear Plug (possibly also some noise canceling ear/head phones)---  I can't begin to tell of how many of my 7 different roommates (and an assortment of suite-mates) that I had would come back later than I wanted to stay up at the time and might have woken me up (or at least made it hard to go to sleep).  I had both earplugs for minor noises and studying   and  heavier noise cancelers for when people in other rooms are being loud and for making sure I stay asleep.  Helps when your roomate gets up before you.

2)  Face Mask---  Pretty much same as above, but it helps with light shining in your eyes when sleeping/trying to get asleep.  From your roomate getting back late and turning the light on  to  them just opening the door to go to the bathroom and someone left the hall light on:  you stay asleep.  I don't care if you are a guy:  It works and you should use it.

3) Mini Fan---  A small plug-in fan is very useful at times, both for cooling you (or your laptop with a broken fan) down or helping the earplugs drown out some noise.  

I's sensing a theme here.  I really want to get to sleep when I get into bed   I don't know (or really care) if this followed your one rule, but you put "canned soda" so I don't see any problems here.

I've never lived in a dorm with others, thank goodness, but I do have some experience on the teaching side of a college classroom. Here are a few no-brainers you should bring to school so your professors don't roast you.

1. A stapler. I know, I know. You're at school. These are all over the place. That doesn't change the fact that, one of these days, you're going to end up doing your homework at the last minute before hurrying off to class, and you may not have time to make pit stops. Know what your professor will be really unimpressed by? Barely-stuck-together pages of homework bound by folding the upper corner of the pages. Some of the meaner ones may be peeved enough to take off points. You don't want to lose points on the homework you took all that time to complete, do you?

2. Loose-leaf paper. Similar reasoning. Know what's even less impressive than homework that's not stapled together? Homework done on pages with little scraps of paper spanning one side where you ripped it out of your notebook. That doesn't look good to the teacher. It probably doesn't even look good to you. So don't do it.

If you want to lose lots of points for stupid reasons, try simultaneously ignoring the advice in both 1. and 2.

3. Self-restraint. If you're at a certain type of college, there will probably be a fair bit of partying. Often, you may be tempted to join in. I'm here to warn you not to get drunk out of your mind the night before an exam. Having a hangover tends to lower your score. Just saying.

4. Critical thinking. Unless your teacher is terrible, they have reasons for doing what they do. If they're following a specific algorithm to solve problems, understand why they're doing that. I say this since most of my experience comes from math-related subjects. You may have learned to just rely on finicky procedures, but following those without a bit of self-reflection won't always go so well. If you're doing a problem and end up with something like "8=13" for your final answer, you're bound to be doing something wrong. Fix that.

1) A sleep mask

Never in my life have I wore a sleep mask. Even on airplanes. It was only after like the first week of living on-campus where I was like "Yeah, I'm gonna need one of those sleep mask thingies." Luckily for me, my parents used to work for a pretty big company that would send them on business trips semi-frequently and they got to fly in business class. So they had a major abundance of those complementary airplane kits with the toothbrush, mouthwash, comb and of course, a sleep mask. This may be different depending on the people you room with. Since I was placed into overflow which is where they take a study lounge and fit 6 people including myself in there for a semester, there was always someone using their laptop or had their desk lamp turned on. I didn't want to bother them so I figured a sleep mask would be the perfect solution and sure enough, it was.

2) Water boiler

Ok so technically its against the rules to have water boilers in dorms at least in my university. But hell, you're bound to break the rules sooner or later. Plus it is just too useful to ignore. Whether you're slurpin ramen or brewing tea, you gotta have one of these things. Lol every time there were dorm checks we would hide ours inside a drawer or something like it was booze.

3) Mini vacuum

Again, this may depend on the people you room with and how tidy they are but since I was rooming with 5 other people and I'm kind of a neat-freak, I got me a mini vacuum and used the hell out of it. This obviously goes without saying but if you don't clean your room you're bound to attract uninvited guests like roaches and rodents. The amazing thing was that even though there were 6 of us guys living in the room, we never had any encounters with pests. While the entire hall itself had dead roaches and a rat problem. Some university halls will provide their own vacuum cleaners that you can rent out but they either suck (lol like they're terrible), or are just too inconvenient to get.

4) Multi-tool

This is IMO a lot more useful than bringing like a single knife. I've got a fishing multi-tool that is basically a folding pair of pliers with a knife, scissors, screwdriver(s), file and even a freaking miniature saw. You never know when you're going to need one of these things for example one of my roomates was experiencing some problems with his laptop charger. I busted out this little beast and opened up his laptop and quickly diagnosed the problem as a faulty port connection and a dead battery. Now later on I decided I'd buy a dedicated toolkit with all the bits and stuff since I was upgrading my laptop's storage but the multi-tool would've worked just fine on its own.

ADDENDUM

Alright so right after I posted this I remembered something really important. Its something you should not  bring to your dorm either because its too big of a hassle to move or you'll just end up not using it at all. So one of my roomates bought his monster gaming PC which had to weight almost 20+ pounds. How do I know this? BECAUSE I WAS THE UNLUCKY FUCK WHO HAD TO HELP HIM MOVE IT OUT. In the 4 months we've lived on-campus, he only used that thing a grand total of 6 times and only 1 time for actual gaming. I shit you not. And the thing is, HE ALWAYS WENT HOME DURING THE WEEKENDS. Later at the end of the semester he admitted bringing that thing was a terrible idea. He also had a pretty large gaming monitor which probably was fairly heavy itself.

So I highly recommend that that you just bring a laptop as that'll be a hell of a lot easier to move around. If you still want to game on a PC, just invest in a decent gaming laptop.

Know your dorm or wherever it is you're staying. I didn't have to stay in the dorms when I went to college but during the summer orientation we stayed the night in dorm rooms and we had individual rooms adjoined by a small common room from what I can remember.

You should definitely consider getting your own miniifridge. And if you do, remember to defrost it if has a freezer section to it. That little metal box is what cools the whole thing and if it's covered in the ice, the ice will insulate it and keep the rest of the fridge warmer than it should.

Toaster ovens are pretty great too. But you don't need one to make a dorm personal pizza. Get yourself some bagels, pizza/tomato sauce, cheese, and other toppings. I'm sure you can figure out the rest from there.

Lysol wipes.

Alright - many universities will MAKE you clean your room (if not - I envy you a bit.) - and thus, you are going to need cleaning supplies.

Lysols work on just about every non bathroom surface in your dorm and are easily disposable.

---

Magic Erasers

...and every bathroom surface left over is handled aptly with a magic eraser.

---

A surge protector.

If you are like me, there are lots of things you need to plug in all at once. Alarm clocks, phone, laptop, handheld gaming system, fan, printer..... and often not enough outlets on your side of the dorm room. Surge protectors not only protect your appliances - but give you more outlets.

---

A water purifying container to store drinking  water in.

Sometimes dormies are forced to wake up im the middle of the night. This makes drinking out of the tap or brushing your teeth safer.

---

PRINTER PAPER

Most tech fees on your bill will give you School wide "printer points" so that you can use the school printers and ink. Not every printer on campus comes with free paper though - and you may be prone to having to print something after hours where the one free paper printer on campus isn't accessible. Printer paper allows every other printer to be viable. It also helps you avoid stealing paper from other students. Who can get peeved by that.

I never had to move into campus, but from my experience it's like maintaining your own house. Normally more and more problems will come up and you'll need to bring more tools to solve. So, from my perspective, getting some tools (screwdrivers, pences I'm an idiot pliers, PLUNGER, wrench, duct tape, rope, multitool, and gloves. Lot's of those gloves you can discard after a single use). I also got a pair of forceps, but that's not really necessary. 

Your fridge should always have slices of cheese and ham, since you'll be making sandwiches during the exam season (like crazy), apart from the various sodas. Keeping some fruit everyone eats in a corner (like bananas) is always nice. You can keep chololate outside your fridge. 

Make sure you make a cleaning plan with your room-mates. You don't want roaches, but then again, you can't be the only one wasting time cleaning. 

Idk, at my university, there weren't any weird places that made you buy paper too. We had $10 attached to our school id's each semester and we logged into computers and printed stuff through the printer kiosk after sending your papers to queue there. It was 5 cents a page iirc, a bit more for double sided and/or color prints.

I also think there's a point system that goes with the meal plan. There's a bunch of stuff that you can get all you can eat while there's some premium stuff that'll cost you points, like muscle milk and other random stuff. Some people end up having to pay cash for meals later on when they run out of points, while others might be stocking up on stuff bought with points at the end of a semester, so maybe they don't roll over.

Hey nick, what are pences? But yeah, have to agree on the plunger. There are people who don't know how to clean up their business without using half a roll of toilet paper. A basic multitool is nice but I always lose mine and idk if you can really find any that are cheap.

Speaking of cheap, take advantage of a sam's/costo membership any of guys might have and chip in for common supplies in bulk, like good toilet paper (you're unlikely to get provided the good stuff, if any), paper towels/napkins, paper plates, giant ramen packs, sodas, etc, etc.

And don't take too much stuff with you. You don't have much room. Bring your clothes, cleaning/cooking stuff, and maybe some of your daily hobby/gaming stuff.

You definitely want a good laptop. Nowadays they're becoming much thinner and faster. Some ultrabooks I'd recommend are the Dell XPS 13, the HP Spectre x360 and the Asus ZenBook UX305. They're absolutely tiny but unlike older netbooks, they aren't complete garbage.

If these choices are too expensive for you then I'd suggest getting something like a Chromebook like the ASUS Chromebook Flip C302. This is about a third of the cost of the HP Spectre x360 which is IMO the best out of the three I mentioned earlier but it'll definitely get the job done.

The HP Spectre is still absolutely bonkers though. Its tiny yet it still packs a Nvidia laptop-grade GPU which can actually run some newer games pretty well at low settings. Not to mention dat 4k resolution. Full disclosure though, I would never recommend you buy this just for gaming. There are so many better options that are significantly cheaper. But if you want a fast, good lookin ultrabook that can pull its own weight and then some, this is what you'd want.

@Maelstrom I meant pliers. I was just short of time and my mind didn't bother to translate that word.

As for the laptops/notebooks, I have used one that's not that good, but certainly gets the job done. Not sure what you can find in the market there, but a mediocre laptop with ~4Gb RAM and an i5 or better 2.3GHz CPU is enough for most things you'll need (except for high-level gaming). 

If you do buy a laptop, at least be sure that it has and relatively high capacity SSD. I cannot stress enough how big of an improvement SSDs are in terms of speed over ordinary hard-drives.

The laptop I have currently came with a crappy 1 TB hard drive and I ended up buying a 256 GB Samsung SSD. Setting it up as a boot drive means my laptop starts up in less than 8 seconds. It may be smaller in terms of capacity but it definitely makes up for it in speed. Depending on what kind of laptop you have, you can even install a SSD and a HDD by replacing your optical drive with a hard-drive caddy. Just switch your HDD with a SDD and put your HDD into the caddy. You probably won't ever need your optical drive so its a pretty good trade. Alternatively, a lot of new laptops now have M.2 slots which allow you to install M.2 SSDs which are physically tiny but provide all the benefits and capacity of a regular SSD.

- Sticky notes

They're great for leaving reminders for myself and leaving passive aggressive notes for my roommates.

- Ear plugs

Because I have no interest in my roommates' 3AM discussion about "what if our elbows had teeth on them".

- Napkins

Excellent for keeping a clean desk by creating a small placemat if you intend to eat at your desk. Also doubles as a cleaning supply.

- Whiteboard

This is a boon for school in general. Even when I'm not working out problems, I use my whiteboard to leave reminders for myself. It's like sticky notes, but more economic, perfect for us college types.

- Tissues

Don't make it weird.

- Tupperware containers

These can be useful for keeping food, but also holding more fragile items. I keep a spare light bulb for my lamp in one, for example, in the case that the current one ever goes out.

- Multiple flash drives

Sometimes the dorm wifi can crap out and you won't be able to save your work to the cloud. If you need to print something and you don't own a printer, AND the dorm wifi is out, then at least you won't be at the mercy of something outside of your control. Save it to handheld storage and print it at a library or somewhere else.

- A fan

If your dorm is also a cage, this can make the heat (and stench) more tolerable by cooling down the room and bringing in fresh air.

- Flip-flops, sandals, etc.

If you're not off-campus, then you'll likely share individual shower stalls with several others. Don't trust anyone's hygiene but your own and definitely don't catch athlete's foot (or worse).

- Lysol wipes were mentioned but I can't stress enough how great they're.

- Bathroom sandals for shower, if you share a shower with someone. You can get plantar warts (I have first hand experience) which can be very expensive to treat.

- Cheerios original flavor. You'll get tired of sugary flavor cereal but your tastebuds will last longer with this gem.

- Latex gloves, if you can occasionally steal a pair from the science lab (I work in one so I have infinite supply lol). These are the most convenient for cleaning bathrooms. 

Edited by Candy

Ark, CMON man. You're the passive aggressive note guy?

I guess perfection is lofty. I would try to encourage you all to talk directly with your roommate. Not because notes don't work - but being too passive aggressive makes a living relationship with a roomie tense if your notes get misinterpreted.

Do support post its though.

You're still cool, Music man.

---

ALWAYS FAN. Even in apartments. You never know if you can't touch your AC because of some STUPID. RULE. RRRRRGBH-

---

Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, whatever.

At the risk of being distracting - this is the best way to circumvent your roomie taking the TV outlet or being caught in crappy weather. The binge watch on the weekends isn't always a great idea - but it's a great way to share a great film with your study group or roommate.

On 23/1/2018 at 9:17 PM, Candy said:

- Latex gloves, if you can occasionally steal a pair from the science lab (I work in one so I have infinite supply lol). These are the most convenient for cleaning bathrooms. 

Lol, don't these cost ~2$ for a 100? 

Yes, we need to stress Athlete's foot if you're living with room-mates. It's not the end of the world, but some other things certainly seem to be. Make sure you keep your hygiene high in your priority list because people are not as tidy and clean as they seem to be. While we're at it, make sure you divide your bathroom towels. You don't want to catch herpes out of nowhere.

10 hours ago, NickCrash said:

Lol, don't these cost ~2$ for a 100? 

Yes, we need to stress Athlete's foot if you're living with room-mates. It's not the end of the world, but some other things certainly seem to be. Make sure you keep your hygiene high in your priority list because people are not as tidy and clean as they seem to be. While we're at it, make sure you divide your bathroom towels. You don't want to catch herpes out of nowhere.

Dunno about you but I've never found latex gloves being sold at super markets :o ... but honestly I'm particular about my choice in gloves too hahah

16 hours ago, Candy said:

Dunno about you but I've never found latex gloves being sold at super markets :o ... but honestly I'm particular about my choice in gloves too hahah

Really? Walmart is sure to have 'em, Walgreens is likely to have 'em. You could always substitute the disposable gloves with the big ones people use for washing dishes (or handle fish with behind the seafood counter- tilapia and catfish are spiny). I imagine you could find either of 'em in the cleaning product isle or in stock at the local pharmacy. When in doubt, ask a bio/chem professor/TA where to get some, cuz you're certain to need some for labs.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

Really? Walmart is sure to have 'em, Walgreens is likely to have 'em. You could always substitute the disposable gloves with the big ones people use for washing dishes (or handle fish with behind the seafood counter- tilapia and catfish are spiny). I imagine you could find either of 'em in the cleaning product isle or in stock at the local pharmacy. When in doubt, ask a bio/chem professor/TA where to get some, cuz you're certain to need some for labs.

Kewl now I can stop stealing xD jk honestly a pair of cheap gloves last quite long. Our lab just buys them by large amounts so I didn't know you could get them easily in supermarkets. 

Depending on how your school handles printing, you definitely want to have your own printer or at least get to know someone who does.

At my school they charge like .25 cents per sheet and I just really don't feel like going all the way to the library just to print something.

Thankfully my roomate allows me to use his printer as long as I pitch in for more paper and ink.

This Epson Expression Home XP-440 will set you back 50 bucks but it sure makes printing stuff more convenient. Not to mention its nice to be able to help others around you out when they need to print something as well.

On 1/29/2018 at 1:20 AM, Chase said:

Ark, CMON man. You're the passive aggressive note guy?

I guess perfection is lofty. I would try to encourage you all to talk directly with your roommate. Not because notes don't work - but being too passive aggressive makes a living relationship with a roomie tense if your notes get misinterpreted.

Do support post its though.

You're still cool, Music man.

I had to do it to 'em, I can't trust my roommates to not unplug & defrost the refrigerator over break so that the ice inside doesn't leak out onto my clothes (because the fridge is atop my wardrobe). But they're great for leaving more benevolent messages too, like that time I found a roomie's ID on the floor while he was asleep. I figure it's better to put the note on his desk where it's bright pink and very noticeable.

And thank you, I reciprocate that feeling.

You know, I wouldn't mind stealing the gloves personally. If you're paying lab fees as a part of your billing statement that semester, are you really stealing them?

I'm not trying to actually ADVOCATE theft, but:

• Take when your billing statement has taken from you. If you have a technology fee for example, use your printer points and the campus computers. It saves you from HAVING to buy a printer or hassle someone who has one. Especially if your printer points don't roll over to the next semester.
  • Supplies that are given out for free at a university, probably aren't actually free. Check the stuff you pay for on your statement, and it will make you feel a lot better about using things that belong to the school.

Here's a story that may help some of you out.

My university has three different types of currency.

• Meal Swipes - "Swipes" are essentially admission to the campus' resident dining hall. They are doled out on a weekly basis and don't roll over. If you eat in the cafeteria, you probably are using a system like this. Try to save these when you can, because you can run out before the weekend and not eating on the weekend can suck.
  • Dining Dollars - Dining Dollars are used at "on-campus" food establishments. For example, there is a Starbucks and a Chick-Fil-A on campus, as well as a sub-sandwich joint in the student union building. These three locations are spots that use your Dining Dollars. Dining Dollars can only be used at places on campus and are often tied to your meal plan along with swipes. The less swipes you have (as a dormitory resident), the more dining dollars you might get to compensate. These are very easy to spend, and they may not be re-loadable because you've already purchased them through your meal plan. (worth checking out) This is a good currency to "treat yourself" after a successful battle with an exam.
  • "CruCash" - (my school mascot is the Crusader) - CampusBucks or...something, can be used at VARIOUS locations. They can be used in a pinch at on-campus locations that range from dining to the campus bookstore, and local off-campus locations that range from restaurants, to salons and spas, to gas stations, to the movie theater. This currency is given out each time the semester begins based on something like which living situation you have (dorms, apartment styled, etc.) - and they DO roll over!

TRY TO SEE if you have CampusBucks. Sometimes, for those of us that aren't stipending our campus living with a job, the campus can feel a little claustrophobic and you will need to get away. If you're not a freshmen and had no idea they existed, you might....accidentally realize, that you have around 750 bucks in CruCash lying around and decide you're going to watch at least one movie every month, buy some swag from the bookstore, and actually eat a steak every once in a while.

Some of you may have more than I do!

Our dining hall is free. Granted, the food isn't always good, but it's better than nothing if you can't afford to cook or order.

If you're living in campus but there's a bookstore nearby ask for their printing prices. It might be cheaper. Here many students use those, so the prices are pretty low. Last time I went to print something it was 0.01€ a page. In general, try to find bargains wherever you go. 

As Chase said, if you're already billed for a certain something, it's not really you who's stealing them if you snatch some gloves now and then. 

If you find a cheap printing place, I would even suggest getting yourself a few good books, and save that little extra for things you should have been given for free.

27 minutes ago, Chase said:

You know, I wouldn't mind stealing the gloves personally. If you're paying lab fees as a part of your billing statement that semester, are you really stealing them?

I'm not trying to actually ADVOCATE theft, but:

• Take when your billing statement has taken from you. If you have a technology fee for example, use your printer points and the campus computers. It saves you from HAVING to buy a printer or hassle someone who has one. Especially if your printer points don't roll over to the next semester.
  • Supplies that are given out for free at a university, probably aren't actually free. Check the stuff you pay for on your statement, and it will make you feel a lot better about using things that belong to the school.

Here's a story that may help some of you out.

My university has three different types of currency.

• Meal Swipes - "Swipes" are essentially admission to the campus' resident dining hall. They are doled out on a weekly basis and don't roll over. If you eat in the cafeteria, you probably are using a system like this. Try to save these when you can, because you can run out before the weekend and not eating on the weekend can suck.
  • Dining Dollars - Dining Dollars are used at "on-campus" food establishments. For example, there is a Starbucks and a Chick-Fil-A on campus, as well as a sub-sandwich joint in the student union building. These three locations are spots that use your Dining Dollars. Dining Dollars can only be used at places on campus and are often tied to your meal plan along with swipes. The less swipes you have (as a dormitory resident), the more dining dollars you might get to compensate. These are very easy to spend, and they may not be re-loadable because you've already purchased them through your meal plan. (worth checking out) This is a good currency to "treat yourself" after a successful battle with an exam.
  • "CruCash" - (my school mascot is the Crusader) - CampusBucks or...something, can be used at VARIOUS locations. They can be used in a pinch at on-campus locations that range from dining to the campus bookstore, and local off-campus locations that range from restaurants, to salons and spas, to gas stations, to the movie theater. This currency is given out each time the semester begins based on something like which living situation you have (dorms, apartment styled, etc.) - and they DO roll over!

TRY TO SEE if you have CampusBucks. Sometimes, for those of us that aren't stipending our campus living with a job, the campus can feel a little claustrophobic and you will need to get away. If you're not a freshmen and had no idea they existed, you might....accidentally realize, that you have around 750 bucks in CruCash lying around and decide you're going to watch at least one movie every month, buy some swag from the bookstore, and actually eat a steak every once in a while.

Some of you may have more than I do!

Holy crap I thought you and I actually went to the same university when you said your campus had a Starbucks and a Chick-Fil-A and also used Campus Bucks.

Then I saw your school mascot and realized we weren't.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 11:41 AM, 5hift said:

You definitely want a good laptop. Nowadays they're becoming much thinner and faster. Some ultrabooks I'd recommend are the Dell XPS 13, the HP Spectre x360 and the Asus ZenBook UX305. They're absolutely tiny but unlike older netbooks, they aren't complete garbage.

If these choices are too expensive for you then I'd suggest getting something like a Chromebook like the ASUS Chromebook Flip C302. This is about a third of the cost of the HP Spectre x360 which is IMO the best out of the three I mentioned earlier but it'll definitely get the job done.

The HP Spectre is still absolutely bonkers though. Its tiny yet it still packs a Nvidia laptop-grade GPU which can actually run some newer games pretty well at low settings. Not to mention dat 4k resolution. Full disclosure though, I would never recommend you buy this just for gaming. There are so many better options that are significantly cheaper. But if you want a fast, good lookin ultrabook that can pull its own weight and then some, this is what you'd want.

i highly recommend the asus ux330u. it's been my daily driver for a little over a year and it's the perfect size for cramped desks and lap usage. very light and surprisingly sturdy. i also have no problems running pretty intense programs on it for prolonged periods of time.