Pokemon Nicknames

Dragoknight

Hiya folks! So, after considering which pokemon I tend to most relate with (after viewing this post), I found that the majority of the pokemon that I tend to most associate with are those that I give fun and unique nicknames.

So the question here is, for one reason or another, do you have any cool pokemon nicknames that you tend to give to certain 'mon? Also, why did you choose said nickname and what significance does it have to you?

To share some of mine, ever since ORAS, I have given my Gardevoir the honorary title of Titania, queen of all fairies. And for one reason or another, it always seems to be instrumental in almost all of my victories in which I use it.

Another one of mine would be how I always have to nickname my Roserade Rosé (I am moderately upset that you can't put in accents in Reborn).

And a nickname I made in Reborn for Hawlucha is Hawk Hogan, the greatest wrestler of all time, brother! Seriously though, I haven't even used a Hawlucha until recently in Reborn and it has quickly become one of my all time favourites.

So everyone, feel free to share all your best (and worst) pokemon nicknames!

4 minutes ago, Dragoknight said:

Hiya folks! So, after considering which pokemon I tend to most relate with (after viewing this post), I found that the majority of the pokemon that I tend to most associate with are those that I give fun and unique nicknames.

So the question here is, for one reason or another, do you have any cool pokemon nicknames that you tend to give to certain 'mon? Also, why did you choose said nickname and what significance does it have to you?

To share some of mine, ever since ORAS, I have given my Gardevoir the honorary title of Titania, queen of all fairies. And for one reason or another, it always seems to be instrumental in almost all of my victories in which I use it.

Another one of mine would be how I always have to nickname my Roserade Rosé (I am moderately upset that you can't put in accents in Reborn).

And a nickname I made in Reborn for Hawlucha is Hawk Hogan, the greatest wrestler of all time, brother! Seriously though, I haven't even used a Hawlucha until recently in Reborn and it has quickly become one of my all time favourites.

Unlike most people,i really don't like nicknames ~

But i had some in the past,

I really love the Nickname Anubis for Lucario,Axolotl for Swampert and Knuckles for Luxray ~

But my own most favorite nickname is Raistlin for my Mewtwo ~

11 minutes ago, Dragoknight said:

I don't usually give nicknames, but in a recent steel type playtrough I've been naming my pokemon after different metals, like Tungsten for Aggron or Neodymium for Magneton.

Lucina for Shiny Gardevoir (which I would call my signature mon over regular gardevoir, but I only have one shiny gardevoir :( )

Airalyn for regular Gardevoir. See, it's a reference to the Airalin comics by RakkuGuy.

Yugo for Gallade, be it shiny or not.

Scarlight for Haxorus

Evangelion for Togekiss

Heather for Yanmega (take a guess why)

And probably my favorite: Key Resonator for Klefki (try figuring that one out)

there are more signature nicknames, but this should be good for now

9 minutes ago, Dragoknight said:

Good ole Dragonlance. Good taste. And I have to say that's a great nickname!

You just can't nickname Mewtwo,you just can't,

But when i thought about Raistlin,this seemed amazingly perfect,

Their story somewhat similiar too if you can consider Caramon as Mew,

Another great nickname for Mewtwo is Frieza ~

Edited by Thundermaze

I often like to combine words that best describe the Pokemon to be nicknamed :) 

Venusaur is nicknamed Astara (Aster(shiny venusaur in Reborn reminds me of an aster flower) + Tuatara(the reptile))

Togetic is nicknamed Seryllis (Serene + Amaryllis(Togekiss reminds me an amaryllis flower))

Tyrunt is nicknamed Dinomight Need to come up with one

Hmm I usually avoid nicknames aswell (when I was younger I did name some though like Leon the Sceptile, my first starter in emerald), however occasionaly I do come up with a few that I end up enjoying. In one of my Reborn files I actually did give nicknames to most of my team members. Some that I recall are Godfeather (Honchkrow), Gunkuro (Shiny Toxicroak), Kaeshin (Greninja), Jackeline (Gourgeist), Amaterasu (Arcanine), Quancho (Pangoro) and Jawgles (Granbul).

In the new Normal monotype run I started the only mon I'll nickname is Stufful, and only when it evolves anyway -> Zetsubear. Yeah I usually end up using japanese words as inspiration. Oh yeh when I played Sun and Moon I also named Alola Sandslash Slicicle since to me the original name didn't fit anymore :D

8 minutes ago, Thiazzi said:

I have never used nicknames until my Ice monorun. Some names worth mentioning are:
KISS (Jynx)

Ich bin baer (Beartic)

Ice-o-later (Mamoswine)

Amethyst (A. Ninetales)

I will nickname my Alolan Ninetales Amethyst too ~

Such a sweet idea ~

I've got Duckess, the shiny female Swanna, cause duck+duchess.

Maple, the Sudowoodo, Viva Aldia the female Sawsbuck (cause 4 seasons, my favourite music is Vivaldi's work), Vesuvius the shiny Camerupt, Edelweiss the shiny Avalugg, Stahl the shiny Steelix and Aegean the shiny Lapras (cause Aegean sea).

And many many more, like Affection the shiny Leavanny and Gaia the (HP Ground-knowing) Galvantula.

Just giving you an idea of my Pokemon naming style! xD

Got a lot more in my Bug and Poison monoruns, but won't write down all of them... Bugs are mostly named after morals (e.g. Kindness, Generosity, etc.) and Poison ones are themed after the Greek mythology (deities, monsters, etc.)

7 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

@Jess

Stahl for Shiny Steelix?

This guy?

latest?cb=20160419153049

Not even close. Much more engineering-oriented name. It comes from Eisen und Stahl , which is the Steel and Iron Standards Committee. It's actually the German name for steel.

I almost never do nicknames.  Whenever I trained up mons in Reborn for online battling, however, I suddenly decided to nickname a lot of them one day.  Since I suck at nicknames, most were uninspried or an uncreative reference, though I liked a few:

Extinction  (Mamoswine)

Smogon Sword (Aegislash)

Air Seer (Xatu) and Land Seer (Absol)-- In all honestly, probably my two most cleaver

Ame's Troll (Whimsicott)---Unless I heard wrong, Ame loved using one to troll people during Gen 5's weather wars

Black Knight (Reborn-shiny Gallade)

Suzaku (Archeops)

Spooks (Gengar)

Getter 2 (Exadrill)--as a mecha fan, I had to make the obvious reference

The only pokemon I've consistently nicknamed for years is calling the main Gardevoir I use in a game Granzon (top vid below), after mecha's master of black holes (my favorite bit of Gardevoir's Pokedex lore).  This connection was only strengthened when Gardevoir got a Mega Evolution back in ORAS (second below).  That's why my second site avatar was of an Gardevoir in Granzon-like armor

Spoiler

time set to good spot

Spoiler

Go to 4:18 for a similarly good start.  I just had to leave the main start at the transformation:

The one I always feel the most appropriate is the one I give each Swampert of mine: Achilles. Think about it: it's a tanky and bulky monster with insane power, but has a huge weakness in grass types, it's "Achilles heel" if you will. Also, Mega Swampert's heels are weak as hell, lmao.

Other favorites of mine include:

S3X R0807: Magnezone (just some silly juvenile humor)

Coryza: Beartic (a coryza being a special membrane activated by a common cold, and Beartic's beard is made of snot)

Cleveland: Garbodor (in honor of the historic 0-16 Cleveland Browns season)

Rick&Morty: Girafarig (because you have to have an IQ of at least 200 to appreciate it, lmao)

Lieutenant: Wobbuffet (because in many of the old sprites, as well as the anime, it's usually saluting)

@Dragoknight It's not something specific. Naming them takes time, because I force myself to give them a personality. Thus, partially the name comes from a reference to the real world or other means of entertainment, and partially from their actual abilities in the game (typing, moves, design etc).

To illustrate two examples:

1. Schierke, the Delphox, gets her name from the witch in Berzerk (manga) who is a young apprentice witch specializing in the Fire element. I always thought the name signified more cunning than that protagonist shows, so it felt better to describe a Delphox as it matured from an innocent fennek fox to a powerful warlock.

2. Nimzowitch, the Aggron, comes from the chess grandmaster... Aron (yep) Nimzowitch, who was well known for his... solid (yep) positional playstyle. I guess having rock type moves get random boosts in the chess field was a really nice bonus from Reborn. It's the best nickname for an Aggron and all others are objectively wrong :P

My NIcknames of some Mons:

Metagross - Destroyer - I really thought long of a Name for my Metagross, in some battles did he really destroy my enemies, so the name Destroyer was born

Cradily - WreckingBall - It was the first thing what comes to my minds when I saw the sprite of Cradily

Flygon - EarthDragon - What shall I say? It is an Dragon who lives in the Earth

Blastoise - AquaPanzer (Panzer = Tank) - Phew long time ago since I used a Blastoise, but back in the years I thought this will be an awesome name for it

Sceptile - Dangerous - Well, thanks to an friend of mine got my Sceptile in Rejuvenation this name, and damn, he was really dangerous there for the enemy :D

Charizard - LightFlame - Charizard is my favourite Mon, so it needs a special Name... I found LightFlame very special, so I added it to him

Houndoom(Female) - Julliet - I really like Supernatural, there was a Hellhound called Julliet and I thoguht this name will fit my female Houndoom

Edited by HellBoyOnEarth

I don't usually nickname my mons, but when I played through Blue for nostalgia's sake I nicknamed my team, which consisted of:

Raichu - Thales (as in the philosopher, one of the earliest to discover static electricity)

Blastoise - Pachelbel (so I could make a lame joke about Pachelbel's Canon in D) 

Charizard - Sal (short for Salamander, plus it just seemed right)

Pidgeot - Archie (based off the Archaeopteryx line)

Venusaur - Nigel (I honestly cannot remember why, but it still fits for some reason)

And of course my Mew obtained through the Mew glitch - Bart (short for Bartholomew)