Cool easter egg in the graphics folder

Walpurgis

As you might or might not know if you go to the graphics folder of pokemon reborn there is a folder called "battlers", where all the of the pokemon front and back sprites (like the ones you see during battle or when you enter the summary of a pokemon in your party or pc) are stored. This, of course, includes all shiny and alternate forms.

So, the thing is, if you go to the Silvally or Arceus sprites you will find that there are 19 different sprites for this pokemon, being 773 the sprite for the normal type Silvally, the base form of the pokemon, and each variation (773_1, 773_2 ... 773_18) the sprite for each of Silvally's alternative forms. Do you notice something strange? There are 19 sprites in total, but these pokemon only have 18 forms, one for each type. One for each type except that there is one more "type", the ???-type, which was retired from the coding of the official games from generation V onwards, but does exist in the coding of pokemon essentials. There isn't a legitimate way to get a ???-type pokemon, but pokemon whose form varies depending on their typing, like Arceus, could actually be hacked to become a ???-type, so a ???-type Arceus sprite was added in generation IV as a preventive measure if this happened. This isn't diferent for pokemon reborn, sprites for ???-type Arceus and ???-type Silvally exist.

Now that we're all on the same page about this let's go to the actual easter egg: these ???-type sprites for regular Arceus, shiny Arceus, and regular Silvally are just the same as their respective normal type sprites, but shiny ???-type Silvally actually has its own sprites (773s_9 and 773sb) instead just a copy of its base form sprites.

773s_9.png.9db07e5d7eec150da4d4082e032ddc09.png773sb_9.png.918a878bd20422ded35a03b0b428ad83.png

This makes me wish there was a ??? memory, I would actually shiny hunt Silvally if that were the case because this sprite looks awesome, but I don't see it happening at all. It's a very cool easter egg anyways, isn't it?

36 minutes ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

Synthetic Seed will actually turn the holder into ??? Type on the Glitch Field.

No idea how that effect interacts with Multitype and RKS System, but maybe somebody with a Shiny Silvally could try it out?

I was trying to test this out and I think I just discovered something way cooler. Apparently whenever you use silvally in the glitch field it becomes ??? type, but it loses that typing when you use it anywhere else. I thought for a few minutes that evolving type:null to silvally in the glitch city of Terra made it ??? type permanently but no :(

Edited by walpurgis

2 minutes ago, walpurgis said:

It was that about evolving type:null in the glitch city, but it seems that I was mistaken.

Oh whoops, dunno why that didn't show up.

I just checked the ReadMe and it actually states that RKS System turns the Pokémon into ??? Type. Nothing about whether or not this applies to Arceus or Multiattack/Judgement as well tho.

Hi, yes I'm the guy who made that shiny! Ame originally had it be just a bad .jpeg of the normal shiny, but I threw this at her instead. So she kept it, and here it is! 

8 hours ago, Fantastic Mr. Fox said:

Hi, yes I'm the guy who made that shiny! Ame originally had it be just a bad .jpeg of the normal shiny, but I threw this at her instead. So she kept it, and here it is! 

^ Can confirm (although they were .png files, not .jpeg files).  @Fantastic Mr. Fox is an amazing spriter:

Spoiler

The sprites on the left are the originals from the community release (version 17.0.2), and the ones on the right are Jasper's from the public release (version 17.1):

773s_9.png.e3f4bfae81ed9f3402f8a1ec50e89535.png    773s_9.png.8bbdea63892173367cdbe5c1434d5f51.png

773sb_9.png.9d960046a6723f9c909eb076a4722477.png    773sb_9.png.2dc9af0aaac966cc8ed6d74da48d63d2.png

I honestly didn't even notice the sprites got redone, since I just copied over my old Battlers folder (I have some custom sprites in there that I wanted to keep, but didn't feel like going through the whole folder to pick them out).  Nice work, Jasper, I'm glad this change got pointed out to me.

Actually, I'm REALLY glad this got pointed out, because until now I had absolutely no idea know that Ame took my advice for fixing regular Silvally-???'s sprites.  Senpai noticed me!  Even if Senpai did alter my design a little...

12 hours ago, walpurgis said:

Now that we're all on the same page about this let's go to the actual easter egg: these ???-type sprites for regular Arceus, shiny Arceus, and regular Silvally are just the same as their respective normal type sprites, but shiny ???-type Silvally actually has its own sprites (773s_9 and 773sb_9) instead just a copy of its base form sprites.

Yeah, but EVERY Silvally form has a custom sprite for its shiny.  It's a Silvally thing, not a ???-type thing.

Spoiler

Just as an example, this is shiny Silvally-Poison:

773s_3.png.69193fcec017f69bee4d1969bc539e7f.png

12 hours ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

Synthetic Seed will actually turn the holder into ??? Type on the Glitch Field.

No idea how that effect interacts with Multitype and RKS System, but maybe somebody with a Shiny Silvally could try it out?

11 hours ago, walpurgis said:

Apparently whenever you use silvally in the glitch field it becomes ??? type, but it loses that typing when you use it anywhere else. I thought for a few minutes that evolving type:null to silvally in the glitch city of Terra made it ??? type permanently but no :(

Yes, the Synthetic Seed in Glitch Field does make the user ???-type, in addition to raising its Defense and Sp. Defense.  I would assume that this even applies to Multitype, since Arceus can't hold both a Seed and a Plate at the same time.  However, using Silvally in a Glitch Field forces it to be ???-type, overriding any Memory it's holding, and regardless of whether it has a Synthetic Seed.  The logic behind this was that Silvally is a synthetic Pokemon whose type depends on technology, so the Glitch Field causes Silvally itself to glitch out.  The same idea also happens with Silvally in a Holy Field:  Silvally is automatically made to be Dark-type, because Silvally was made with science, and science contradicts religion ("science is evil").

However, in a New World Field, both Silvally AND Arceus will change to a random type (except ???-type) each turn, regardless of held item.