Is Duel Monsters really the pinnacle of the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime?

Wolfox

Whether its people who only watched DM as a kid and view it through nostalgia goggles or people who have not seen the others. there are always people who will argue with you till you give up on the "fact" that Duel Monsters is the best Yugioh anime and that none of the spin-offs even got close to matching its quality. but... Is it true that Duel Monsters is the best of all the 5 (not counting Vrains because it's still ongoing and it can still shit the bed) we've had so far? Let's discus this!

Well , Duel Monsters is like Stars Wars 4 : where all began. Yeah i enjoyed it , nice story , nice characters , charismatic vilains aswell. 

We cannot really compare today cause the differences between the first season ( DM )  and the last ( ARC V/Vrains ) are so huges ( quality , cards etc ).

But for me it isn't the best unfortunately , he is very good but i found Gx and Arc V better ( just my opinion ).

If i had to make a ranking between all season it will probably be ( from best to bad ) : Arc V , Gx , DM , Zexal/5d's on the same place ( maybe more Zexal except first arc ofc , yeah i know you're going to hate me for this but i have my reasons and again it's just my opinion) 

Vrains need to convince me more , for now it's too similar to 5d's. 

Probably not.  I've only seen two in most of there entirety, and, while I found the original to be the better of the two, I can't find it in my heart to put down GX (especially since I liked the more 'down to earth/ comedic feel).  What little I saw of 5D's (before I got away from the franchise) was equally good to the original.  As much as I like the story, even as a kid, the disregard for many mechanics in the original always irked me (even past Duelist Kingdom).  Like most things, any 'facts' in this case are subjective.

No, duel monsters was good but it was certainly not the pinnacle. The dueling for instance was so confusing that to this day people still don't understand.

Also DM was packed with filler. I can go on but that's beside the point. Best is subjective and most series shine in some parts and do poorly in other parts.

19 minutes ago, YinYang9705 said:

also season one dueling was less card game based, and more like an RPG so that might explain some of the stupider moves Cough Cough Catapult turtle 

Sure, it explains it just fine (since in the manga, this was just a game that lasted for a long arc before it became the manga) but doesn't justify excusing it as a potential flaw of the first series (depending on your tolerance of such things.).

To be quite honest I didn't like DM that much, it had some great moments but at the same time some stupid things, like when Atem fused a monster with a magic card or things that weren't in the rules that make rewatching DM something really cringy. The last arcs make up for this I suppose but as I said before I don't think that I could rewatch it.

Many years later GX is still my favorite. I really liked how Judai started growing in each arc of the series, it was good character development. The first arc wasn't that good but it showed an "innocent kid" that didn't know that much of the world and then... well you know what happens in the second, Judai has to save the world with some of his friends and it starts getting darker. The third one for me is the pinnacle of the series, a lot of new and interesting characters, a LOT of character development (not only Judai's, even though his' is the greatest) and a great villain that became one of my favorite characters ever. And well... even though the fourth and last wasn't as good as the one before (at least in my opinion) it as a good way to end the series, we see the main cast graduating and becoming adults. with an epic duel at the end

And now after writing that paragraph I noticed that DM not having a straight line of plot (or at least having that much extra stuff) didn't help either lol

GX Is my personal least favorite. Before you hunt me down with your pitchforks, allow me to explain why this is:

It starts off about as slow as Zexal starts, but then once Zexal got going it was not stopping. While GX... well the first and second season had about as much consistency as Joey's deck before learning from Grandpa Muto. Secondly, it wasted too many characters. Judai got great development (more on that later), but the rest of the characters were just shoehorned in. An example of this would be Hell Kaiser. Amazing character, but greatly wasted. Lastly, I disliked Judai until he became the Supreme King. He was too carefree and happy for me (I watched it at around the age of 16 so... I guess you can understand what I mean there).

But we're talking about DM Here. and I'll say that it's not the best. Each Yugioh learned from what the others did wrong and usually improved on that. DM had filler that would make Naruto proud, so with GX they started with Filler but in later seasons there wasn't that much filler at all, but GX Started extremely slow. 5d's fixed this by instantly jumping to the action with the Fortune Cup and Dark Signers Arc's, but after the latter, they had to rework the story a bit so we ended up with a gap full of filler (though some of it was really well done). The main complaint being that Yusei was too perfect, so we got Yuma. And before Astral found Yuma there was no way Yuma could even beat Pre grandpa Muto training Joey (hey, this joke returned). However, Zexal suffered from the same as GX did. an extremely slow start. This was, again, changed in Arc-V with us again starting off pretty fast with plot and all, and outside of the earlier parts, there was barely any filler. Granted the end was a bit mediocre and the pacing was off, like way off. And now we have Vrains which as the biggest unsolved issue has the high number of recap episodes. And while that sucks, at least the director is enough of a man to excuse for them and explain why we got so many.