TCG/OCG AMA series: the banlist

FairFamily

Hi,

As a player of the card game on a casual level, I know it is hard to understand the card game. So I will be starting a series of threads where people can ask questions about the TCG/ OCG. Today I start with the ban list.

Why starting with the ban list? The ban list is a relic that contains the history of Yu-gi-oh and connects to all facets of the game (anime,manga, old cards, ...).

It gives a good insight in how the game evolved and in what stage it is in a compact format.

So if you have any questions about the ban list (why cards are banned, why cards are off the list, why they have appeared on that specific moment,...) feel free to ask.

For people wanting pot of greed unbanned, I always how many do it simply for the memes.

For people who seriously think about it, I have to say this. Pot of greed would become the staple of staples: it gives you one extra card with no downsides at all. Everyone would play it.

Right now players are willing to remove 10 cards from their deck just to draw 2. People are willing to take this downside which says how good drawing 2 is.

What do you think of a merged banlist? The ocg and tcg have had separate ones for a long while, and honestly, I feel like it causes problems the same way exclusive decks do.

The ocg banlist is also usually a lot less restrictive, without as many cards that were banned 3000 years ago on it that could safely come back in the game. (Ocg has two Stratos, three Gateway of the Six, etc etc, and those decks haven't done anything over there in ages. Stratos is coming up on 5 years! I know it's a meme but like....comeon. He's not going to make Heroes broken.)

@krim Uhm technically there is the world banlist which is just the strictest choices of both tcg and ocg banlist (so if a card is unlimmitted in the ocg and limmited in the tcg, it is limitted in worlds). But I fully support a merged banlist if the games are fully merged, how the banlist will look however is a bit more difficult. The one for worlds is not that great because t hurts decks a lot more then necessairy. So it might be best to just pick one and evolve from there. The ocg may have 2 stratos it also has only 1 shadow mist which sucks for heros. Meh denglong is banned and trickstar reincarnation is at 3 in the TCG so I think I prefer the TCG one.

@YinYang9705 Errata's are in my opinion useful if the card can't be naturally powercreept like rescue cat or induce toxic gameplay. I prefer the smaller ban list and as long the card adheres to the spirit of the original version it's fine. However changes to perfectly balanced cards like goyo guardian are completely unnecessairy.

do you have a theory on why Konami bans/limits certain cards that have to do with OTK's or FTK's while keeping the cards that the OTK/FTK is based on at 3? (example: blaze fenix and Genex Ally Birbman)

@Wolfox Sorry for the late answer but I missed the notification or never got one.

Well there is the issue that konami likes to remove enablers/searchers before the end product. They want people to make plays but maybe not as consistent/easy. After all there is a certain amount of fun in getting that godly hand. (Like solemn strike , 2 trickstar reincarnation and a droll and lock bird)

Also some cards have more potential to be abused. Self bouncing is a very common way to abuse cards.

Blaze phoenix however needs a resource loop to be abused but how hard do you think it is to change such things in another ftk or a handloop (cannon soldier ftk, amazon archet ftk,...) ?

Resource gain/recycling is far more dangerous since you can transform it into almost anything. Zoo transformed xyz materials into raw draw power.

• 3 weeks later...