X% Hype!!! [E18 Dev Discussion Thread]

Amethyst

• Administrators

hi

so those of you who were here during E15/E16's development periods might remember the status thread from way back then

one bit of feedback i heard with the new dev blog during E17 is it felt badsville to have a place to actually discuss development status updates since it was always cross-post or i mean where do you even talk about my throwaway taglines on the side widget

nowhere, that's where

well now here, that's where

pretend that was really clever with the shifting space, it was definitely intentional, thanks

and those of you who remember the status thread probably remember the fundamental problem with it-- that the actual discussions of the status updates was thrown offtrack and clouded out primarily by people contributing little more than a two word line about their excitement.

mods had some fun corralling those ones.

but that's not the worst thing.

rather than saying 'dont do thing' im more of a fan of saying 'heres a place where it's fine to do thing'

and although it's prooooobably still not exactly a good post if that's all you have to contribute,

you know, do what you gotta do.

but maybe try to have some actual discussion too, if you can find it in your heart of hearts.

anyway, 4% hype or whatever.

category rundown for the episode coming later idk 

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Silver Boy said:

Well, are there any assumptions as to how long the work on the episode will last?

It has much less tedious stuff to implement, so I'd say less than E16/E17.

For example, there isn't the need to remap the Reborn City into post-renovation Reborn. Or the need to map an entire desert and get your PC dead by the infiltrated sand in it.

Also, Gen VII got implemented, and USUM only offered a tiny amount of additional information compared to what the actual SM offered.

I don't dare make a time estimation though... Devs are humans too ;) 

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, FairFamily said:

Uhm does that mean you're going to post everything back in posts here or is it still in dev/meme blog? Or is it going to be a combination of both?

what i might do is just link to the posts from here when i make one
but the actual updates themselves will still be there
this is just a consistent discussion hub
maybe i link to here from status widget too

9 minutes ago, Silver Boy said:

Well, are there any assumptions as to how long the work on the episode will last?

that's for the upcoming post i mentioned but it'll be talking about the work itself rather than time cuz 

Just now, Jess said:

I don't dare make a time estimation though... Devs are humans too ;) 

^ that. i mean. most devs are humans. but in my case time estimates just put unnecessary pressure on me and that negatively effects things.

Just now, Amethyst said:

what i might do is just link to the posts from here when i make one
but the actual updates themselves will still be there
this is just a consistent discussion hub
maybe i link to here from status widget too

that's for the upcoming post i mentioned but it'll be talking about the work itself rather than time cuz 

^ that. i mean. most devs are humans. but in my case time estimates just put unnecessary pressure on me and that negatively effects things.

Ooookay, i think all that we can is wish you good luck)

I hadn't been there b4 E16 as you might know : p

It's however nice to see you making the update progress thread much more informative possibly and that's unexpected from you and your team to start working again from jan imo. Hats off to you all for being so workaholic XD. Ohh, it's already 4%! that means its not  from today you're working on that ig lol.

Anyways, its a great way after all :Thumbsup: :happy:

Edited by Paul25
Forgot to slash that :/ b4

I'm just gonna linger like a lost soul waiting for the first person to turn up here asking an expected release data for community/public release of E18 but otherwise other than US/UM content any other fun stuff we can expect in E18 to look forward to?

1 hour ago, Amethyst said:

hi

so those of you who were here during E15/E16's development periods might remember the status thread from way back then

one bit of feedback i heard with the new dev blog during E17 is it felt badsville to have a place to actually discuss development status updates since it was always cross-post or i mean where do you even talk about my throwaway taglines on the side widget

nowhere, that's where

well now here, that's where

pretend that was really clever with the shifting space, it was definitely intentional, thanks

and those of you who remember the status thread probably remember the fundamental problem with it-- that the actual discussions of the status updates was thrown offtrack and clouded out primarily by people contributing little more than a two word line about their excitement.

mods had some fun corralling those ones.

but that's not the worst thing.

rather than saying 'dont do thing' im more of a fan of saying 'heres a place where it's fine to do thing'

and although it's prooooobably still not exactly a good post if that's all you have to contribute,

you know, do what you gotta do.

but maybe try to have some actual discussion too, if you can find it in your heart of hearts.

anyway, 4% hype or whatever.

category rundown for the episode coming later idk 

So, you guys are already onto it?? Man, I should say I'm happy but have your own rest time too. It's not like any of us are demanding E18 suddenly. But, if that's your kick for working, I'll be here to make comments about the status updates and also some fun depending on how the updates go. I'm also glad you brought up this threads for discussions. I was here since E16 development time and got to say that threads are nice.

50, 317h3r 3v3ry0n3'5 5ylv30n 15 r34ch1ng 0u7 h3r p1nk r1bb0ny f33l3r5 70 4ll 0f u5 70 3xc173 u5 r47h3r 7h4n c4lm u5 0r 17 15 4 n3w y34r g1f7.

P.S. Seriously, you dev guys are great people. Take how much ever time you need. I have a great amount of patience when it comes to games.

Nice, let's try to keep this thread a bit clean then?!...

So, is this also the place to ask questions regarding ep 18? like: We have rockclimb, are all the pre ep 18 rock climb locations solid? or is there lots of work to be done there?

Edit: Don't overwork yourself devs, you are no good with a burnout.

Maybe the after story relations with characters. I would prefer an answer from the dev guys or someone who knows.

Just now, BRS swag said:

Maybe the after story relations with characters. I would prefer an answer from the dev guys or someone who knows.

After what happened in E17 story I feel like there is more to it than just that, like a secret ending to the story (I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that defeating the Garchomp would lead to a diferent ending, and even though that doesn't seem very likely to me, defeating the garchomp does affect your relationship with a few characters in the game according to a relationship guide in the foruns). And I also read somewhere that if you give Titania a Blue Moon Ice Cream in the Water treatment Center she will be nicer when talking to you and giving her the blue moon ice cream gives you +3 realtionship points with her according to the same relationship guide.Well, I have no Ideia how much of this is just another player trying to guess like I am right now or is acctually true. ps:didn't check the english when writing this so sorry if it has too many mistakes

• Administrators
14 hours ago, dotahkin01 said:

So, is this also the place to ask questions regarding ep 18? like: We have rockclimb, are all the pre ep 18 rock climb locations solid? or is there lots of work to be done there?

yeah sure i can't promise to be on top of it always cuz that's a drain on time but if i see questions i have a good answer for, sure

so rock climb, some to do; not lots. i'd say most of it has been done in advance

This isn't really a question about E18 itself but during the development. Will you be doing the obtainable list updates towards the end of E18 development (like one/two evolution lines a day)? I thought that was a great thing during E17s development

21 minutes ago, Abyssreaper99 said:

This isn't really a question about E18 itself but during the development. Will you be doing the obtainable list updates towards the end of E18 development (like one/two evolution lines a day)? I thought that was a great thing during E17s development

There isn't much to do as there wasn't many changes in USUM pertaining to new pokemons. Only a handful. But, from my experience viewpoint, I'd say that comes when every new addition is put already in place. Let's say a year from now or so, that might happen. Buuuuuuuut, it's best if we think it'll take long so that waiting won't be a sad thing.

17 minutes ago, BRS swag said:

There isn't much to do as there wasn't many changes in USUM pertaining to new pokemons. Only a handful. But, from my experience viewpoint, I'd say that comes when every new addition is put already in place. Let's say a year from now or so, that might happen. Buuuuuuuut, it's best if we think it'll take long so that waiting won't be a sad thing.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was asking. I wasn't talking about in terms of extending it but when Ame put up each day whether an evolution line (new or old) was going to be within that episode. Let's say Ame starts updating the obtainable list with which pokemon will be in E18 around September, an example would be Ame changing Deino from unobtainable to event only. Or if a pokemon that's already in the game has an updated status. An example could be if she decided that Probopass shouldn't be a wild encounter but instead should be obtained by evolution only.

16 hours ago, Abyssreaper99 said:

I think you may have misunderstood what I was asking. I wasn't talking about in terms of extending it but when Ame put up each day whether an evolution line (new or old) was going to be within that episode. Let's say Ame starts updating the obtainable list with which pokemon will be in E18 around September, an example would be Ame changing Deino from unobtainable to event only. Or if a pokemon that's already in the game has an updated status. An example could be if she decided that Probopass shouldn't be a wild encounter but instead should be obtained by evolution only.

From what I can tell, updating the obtainable list is done when testing begins. So, if any of the remaining 6 non legendary lines are to be implemented into ep 18, or if any changes in previously obtainable mons take place,  once testing starts, the updates to the list will likely be done - although considering how few pokémon are left (excluding legends) I don't think the previous ep's "find the new addition"  game could take place. 

What I'm curious about is if this episode will be long story-wise. If I remember correctly Ame has been saying for the past 2 or 3 episodes that there wouldn't be that much story in them, but since we are nearly at the end and there are a lot of inconclusive things still, I was wondering if this will be an episode with a lot of story or if everything is going to go to E19...? And well since the last episode is going to have the last gym, the league, and the post-game I'm doubting the latter.

I can't wait for the E18 story, it should be a blast to see how it all concludes (or if it doesn't in E18 and we have to wait for the last release).

I also hope that this episode doesn't take as long to develop as E17. There are fewer things to do (according to the dev blog), but I guess we will find out when development of everything is in full swing.

While I did enjoy the quantity of content that was introduced in E16 and E17, I do hope that E18 focuses more on the storyline.  That possibly might be the reason why those 2 episodes took a tad longer to complete compared to the rest.