Wild idea [Maybe spoilers]

Waynolt

Spoiler

Was thinking... what if Lin, Terra, and the Main Character are all actually the same person, the same personality shattered -maybe- by Arceus' power?

You see, in Freud's theory, the human psyche is the result of three components: the id, the ego, and the superego.
(Following quotes are from Wikipedia)

Terra might be the id, the "disorganized part of the personality structure that contains a human's basic, instinctual drives"; regardless of this theory being right or wrong, Terra is undoubtedly 100% id.

Lin might be the ego, " the organized part of the personality structure that includes defensive, perceptual, intellectual-cognitive, and executive functions "; she is the leader, she directs and controls the id's urges and is the most practical and realistic; lacking the superego's guidance, though, she doesn't understand nor cares for ideals like love, compassion, friendship, etc.

And the Main Character might be the superego, which "controls our sense of right and wrong and guilt", and thus opposes Team Meteor.
"The super-ego aims for perfection"; how many mons did you breed for those perfect IVs? How many volunteers did you find for Adrienn?
"It forms the organized part of the personality structure, mainly but not entirely unconscious, that includes the individual's ego ideals, spiritual goals, and the psychic agency (commonly called "conscience") that criticizes and prohibits their drives, fantasies, feelings, and actions"; as written above, Lin and Terra lack this guidance... but we have it.
Also worth noting that the MC doesn't have a conscious mind, and all of its important choices are predetermined by the devs - in other words, the MC lacks both the id's urges and the ego's initiative.

Edited by Waynolt
typos

Spoiler

If your theory is correct than I think it's not that we are the superego but that we have to become the superego. You said that all important choices are predetermined by the devs, but this is not the case. As we have seen in E17 there are definitly important choices the Player Character can make that impact the story drastically. Ame has said numerous times that a "secret ending" is being developed and you can achieve by going an extra mile and make the right (and often the most difficult) decisions. Perhaps making those "right" decisions causes your character to behave according to Freud's superego and becomes it, meaning the tree characters together make one and the story can end properly (whatever that might be). Then again who knows if we'll see Terra ever again at all.

Also many claim that most of Freud's theories are BS so maybe you're looking to deep into this. I do think it's a compelling and interesting theory though.

Edited by Just2Reborn

4 hours ago, Just2Reborn said:
  Hide contents

You said that all important choices are predetermined by the devs, but this is not the case.

Spoiler

Even when the devs do give us options, our choice is still limited to what they code: for example, we can't choose to offer to take Taka with us in the WTC.

Maybe he wouldn't accept, but the point is that that option doesn't exist at all.

Hide contents

Perhaps making those "right" decisions causes your character to behave according to Freud's superego and becomes it, meaning the tree characters together make one and the story can end properly (whatever that might be).

Spoiler

It's possible... it might even be as in Planescape: Torment. :D
In case you didn't play it, I'll spoil its ending trying not ot enter in too much detail: the protagonist and the antagonist in Planescape both cannot be killed, partly because they are parts of the same being; one of the ways to win the game is to fuse them, thus healing the original being, who can then finally die.

Also many claim that most of Freud's theories are BS so maybe you're looking to deep into this. I do think it's a compelling and interesting theory though.

I'd like to point out that Pokemon don't actually exist either :P

Edited by Waynolt

1 hour ago, Waynolt said:

I'd like to point out that Pokemon don't actually exist either :P

Haha, fair enough. :D

Spoiler

I see now what you mean with the predetermined choices by the devs and fully agree now. When Lin accused us of working together with her after our battle against Titania, we couldn't say anything back since we can't speak. I think this is a perfect representation of what you described, she makes us look bad which you could see as a way of leading us, while we aren't entirely conscious as represented by our silence.