FEF: Verdant Wings (lC)

Raindrop Valkyrie

Act 1 Begins! The Dark Descends, 'neath the Wings of Terror

Prologue: The Last Quiet Night.

lt was just another peaceful evening in the holdings of Padstow. The stars danced happily to the music of the crickets. Lanterns lit the small collection of buildings, a warm glow of fire that was welcoming. The embers still bright-eyed and full of life. They battled with the stars for attention, a friendly competition of sorts. Twinkling lights bathed the area in firelight and starlight in the calm of the night. A lovely evening. As it had turned out, The Lord of this Manor had so happened to call for a feast for his servants and those that lived on the lands in his Estate.

The tall marble building stood lonely on the hill, overlooking the lantern-lit villa, stoic as it stood brightly against the darkness. Calmary was quite the estate, almost able to be considered a castle at its size and grandeur. lt stood guard over the small town around it just the same. The vigilant keep had always provided a sense of comfort to the few who lived here in Padstow. Though, such was easy in place like this. Nestled away in the hills and forests of Draestria, Padstow wasn't an easy target for the likes of petty crooks and highwayman. Further it's denizens rarely needed to leave. The place was self-sufficient after all, they needed nothing outside of their little villa. As such, they knew peace, comfort and quiet. Something well known throughout Draestria, but even more known in Padstow.

lt was a bit intimidating, even for those that had been there before. Calmary was quite the regal fort, it felt like walking into the very gates of heaven... to the very place the Arcana sat together. Entering the threshold certainly didn't help with that. Despite it's humble decor, Calmary's halls still felt otherworldly and divine. The white stone meant to mimic marble was expertly accented with all types of soft subtle colours, a rainbow of them that met the senses directly. lt wasn't haphazardly arranged however, there was a sense of purpose to it. One that had an expert touch. Perhaps... Coel enjoyed interior decorating? Regardless, lt was beautiful... and something that by all rights could be gaudy was not.

lt was a time yet until dinner was ready, quite awhile. A servant had come out and said as much. Those gathered here would have some time to get acquainted, some might know the others more than others but it never hurt to have some quiet time to relax.

((pls, intro your characters~))

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was one person huddled up near one corner of the room, a familiar yet still strange to most of the townsfolk. One Morgan Vaughns, known as the resident town eccentric and most certainly more of a book person than a people person, huddled together with their book and waited for the food to show up, occasionally mumbling something mostly to themselves. The Vaughns themselves were generally not particularly popular among the townsfolk, save for perhaps Renee, the prized child of the family; they liked to pretend that they were better than their neighbors, and forget that the individual looking nearly fearfully out at the rest of the gathering shared a last name and a home with them.

Gavan stood with his back to a wall, fiddling with his earring while staring out at the crowd. Most of the people here were unfamiliar to him, and he couldn't really say he was overly interested in getting to know them. He was here to work for Lord Cole. He owed him his life, and that was that. It wasn't an ideal situation, but it was better than being dead so he really couldn't complain too much. Still, this sort of thing wasn't exactly his strong suit.

1WEBVCD.png

"Hmm... Wonder if he'll notice if I disappear from here... He was insistent I show up but he never mentioned anything about my needing to stay..."

1Ofxe8z.png

Lyle stood by the entrance of the room staunch, upright and with his arms crossed. He even came to this feast with his armor adorned on him. Almost like a royal knight manning his post. He had only recently moved into Padstow with his younger sister. While he could've made an acquaintance or two he rarely left the estate. Thus everyone here was quite the stranger to him. However, that will not deter him from his job. No matter stranger or friend a true hero must protect all from any threat.

Blake slowly wormed his way through the crowd, casually greeting those he knew and introducing himself to those he didn't. However, he never stayed near one group for very long. The cloaked man moved from one cluster of people to the next with a practiced, almost efficient ease.

limn6r2.png 

"Thank you for coming... It's good to see you again... Please, enjoy yourselves..."

Blake's words are kind, but the hard expression on his face betrays his true intent - to locate anyone suspicious in the crowd and keep an eye on them. His eye is currently on that Vaughn man - woman? - standing alone in a corner, and he meanders past them every once in a while, watching their actions closely.

Lyla_Annoyed.png

"Yeah sure you too." When Blake passed by her and her brother, that was her response. Her eyes were fixated on the one in the corner reading a book. Just looking at them was giving her shivers. "What a creep... I have a bad feeling about her." 

Lyla_Really_Happy.png

"Hey big bro, you don't have to look so grumpy, you can relax a bit. I don't think you should be wearing armor to dinner either, but I doubt I can convince you otherwise." She teased her brother, a complete mood swing from her earlier comments. 

6biK63y.png

"A Knight must be ever vigilant of danger, even if Padstov rarely sees attacks from ruffians a gathering like this is a perfect time to strike." As he spoke he glances at the person in the corner, being the most suspicious at the moment. He let out a sigh before relaxing his stance a little and scratching the back of his head, "Though I guess I could stand to loosen up a bit but the armor is staying. Honestly though, I would've thought you'd prefer to help prepare dinner rather than being here."

tumblr_p1ale26ubQ1vbmrpfo1_75sq.png

"Rrgh, can't you move any faster??"

The impatient call comes from a small and rather slight young man carrying a few heavy-looking ice buckets laden with finest wines. Though the heftiness of his cargo seems almost too much for a stick-like frame, it doesn't appear to weigh him down much.

"With all these guests, it's hard to move around. Just put them down if you can't wait," the servant in front of him replies diffidently without even turning around to look at him. 

With a huff, Lenny sets the ice buckets on the floor and takes a moment to look around the room at all the people they're catering to. Banquets aren't anything new or rare at Coel's estate, but it always means more work than usual for him and the others. Stretching his arms above his head, he squeezes his eyes closed as aching muscles tense and his shoulders pop—

"Lenny, go!"

"Agh!" Grabbing the buckets again at the prodding of the servant behind him, he follows the now-moving train into the dining hall where they disperse in a practiced array to finish loading the tables.

Lyle felt a tap on his shoulder. When he turned, he'd see a different bluenette with a feather than the one he'd been preoccupied with. 

5a3d75b30739d_ReneeVaughn.png.7da628bc03c566e69e1cd8876faaf0ad.png

"You know," Renee Vaughn said with a sweet smile, "It's a bit creepy how you keep looking at my sibling like that."

Renee had been mixing and mingling with the party, as per usual. Her parents insisted on "presenting" her to anyone of mild importance, and talking about her a ton. Annoying. She'd excused herself for a drink to get away from them, and noticed several people eyeing Morgan in a way that she didn't much like. 

pOI5NL9.png

"Umm, hi, thank you. . ." Morgan said, rather hollowly. Everyone was staring at her. Could they please get the food out faster? This crowd already made her nervous and she'd spotted at least two people staring at her and she wasn't sure where Renee was and she just wanted to eat and leave. . . Morgan shrunk further backward into their corner, in an ill-fated attempt to hide from the stares of the rest of the people in the room.

EFNd0VW.png

"Please just leave me alone. . ." She did feel a small comfort, though, when she peeked over and Renee seemed to be talking to one of the people who had been staring at her; presumably about said staring, judging by her expression.

krim.png

Sherwyn stood vigilantly at the entrance to the banquet hall. As usual, there weren't many people they knew, and the few that they did were greeted by a small nod. They were sure Coel would tell them to lighten up and join the party, but what good would it do? Resigned to guard duty, they watched those that passed by through the slits in their helmet. They were pretty sure they were mistaken for a decorative piece at one point. Wonderful.

6biK63y.png

"My apologies, however, your sibling seems oddly suspicious. Well, the most suspicious out of anyone else at the moment. I'm just making sure she won't cause trouble. I would've averted my gaze once I was certain." Lyle said bluntly to the lady. She seemed nice enough, if not a bit passive aggressive.

Lyla_Really_Wink_Talk.png 

"I sneaked out of the kitchen. It gets boring to cook with that many people around me, and besides I want to be the head chef. Not follow the orders of some village bumpkin who thinks they know better than me." She smiled sweetly up until Renee approached them, then her face turned into a scowl. 

Lyla_Annoyed_Talk.png

"Huh? We're the creepy ones? Have you even looked at your sibling?" Lyla puffed out her chest and lifted her head slightly. "Who are you two anyways, and what's up with that feather thing." 

Another knight showed up walking past into Sherwyn's gaze. One that was known for being a bit rambunctious but was a good soul. Sherwyn thought it was something like Reynauld. "Swifty baby, what'chu doin' out here man? Didn't Coel invite you? You should be going to this shindig not guardin' it. But l know you Swifty, you take the job with the utmost seriousness. l respect the work ethic man l do, but... you could have fun every once and awhile you know? l've never even seen ya out of that armour of yours in all the years l known you. Starting to think you're just a decoration or some shit round these parts that some mage enchanted to protect the place." he said jokingly while taking up the other spot next to the doorway. Seemed he had pulled watch for this banquet as well so... he wasn't going anywhere and Sherwyn was stuck with him. He leaned casually against the wall not remotely standing at attention. He wasn't even wearing his helmet, his wild orange mane just flowing out of his armour. He looked a bit like a lion that wanted to take a nap, more than a guard on duty.

A large imposing figure walked up to the other two. Renee saw the man move, as he walked right up behind Lyle. He was somehow quiet despite the armour. Probably just the noise and bustle of the preparations drowned out the sound. He put a massive guantleted hand on Lyle's shoulder, and a gruff gravely voice came through the helmet. "ls something the matter Lyle? You're off-duty sport." Lyle would recognize him as the knight-commander, one Roland Shields. A huge man in bright crimson armour, the man was imposing as hell and definitely scared all the new recruits. He was quite the gentle soul once you got to know him, and a gentle soul. But, he was quite the practitioner of tough love for the small collection of guards around. He also... generally had a weird tick... and referred to everyone as sport.

"Ma'am, is Lyle causing you trouble? He is supposed to be here for the banquet and not on active duty. l hope he is not bothering you." he said, his helmet pointing in Renee's direction.

He seemed to not even notice Lyla at all.

"No, he isn't," Renee assured the armored man, "I was just wondering why he was staring at Morgan over there so hard."

Then, to Lyla. "Considering they're just trying to stay out of the way and you're looking at them like that? Excuse me for being a bit concerned. You were looking at Morgan. I'm Renee Vaughn. The feather thing... well, I just think it's cute, if we're being honest."

Roland nodded. "So he is bothering you then. Sport, she's one of the guests. l'd like you to not make one of the guests Lord Coel invited feel uncomfortable. She is more than welcome to be here and you are off-duty. Let me handle security sport. Just enjoy yourself. Oh, and see me after. You'll be cleaning the barracks tonight." he said in a calm flat voice. lt was difficult to tell Roland's emotions, espcially while his helmet was on. 

He once more turned to Renee before speaking again. "Miss Vaughn, l do apologize on behalf of the Guard for this occurrence. l thought my boys were better trained then this. l must redouble my efforts apparently. l hope you and your sibling can still enjoy yourselves tonight. l know Morgan isn't the most fond of people and this must not be easy for her to deal with."

This was when he noticed Lyla. "Oh, Miss Gristov... are the preparations complete? lt is strange that you are here."

Lyla_Annoyed.png

Lyla glared at Renee as the Knight Commander berated her brother, it was her fault her brother got in trouble everything was okay until she showed up. Lyla wouldn't forgive this insult anytime soon. But then attentions turned to Lyla herself and she fumbled with words. 

Lyla_Talk.png

"Oh uuh yeah! Mostly complete!" She said scratching the back of her head. "You know, they had me cutting onions and potatoes and all that and I did it so quickly that they said I could come out here and rest a bit!" As she finished her sentence she put on an awkward smile.

LQ9aKr7.png

"If preparations are only mostly complete," Blake suddenly chimes in from almost directly behind Lyla, "it would be wise to just finish off whatever's left to be done and rest afterwards."

JYHzEb0.png

"Then you won't be scrambling about like a madwoman later when it turns out you had several things left to do and very little time in which to do them." He gives a respectful nod each to Lyle, Renee, and Commander Roland.

"I really don't think it's necessary... he didn't have any way of knowing that Morgan has that kind of problem... maybe just let them off with a warning if he doesn't do it again?" Renee said, looking apologetically at Lyle - she hadn't meant for that to happen and she felt a little guilty. Even if they were staring at Morgan and making them more uncomfortable than they already were, which she did have to stop. 

"Alright Miss Vaughn. l'll not do so by your request. Still..." He patted Lyle really hard on the shoulder, causing their armour to make quite the resounding sound. "l'd like to spar with you after the meal sport. l'd like to test how your skills are coming along. lt'd been awhile since you've sparred with me." Lyle could hear him smiling under that helmet.

"And Miss Gristov, l don't believe you. But... you should be allowed some time to spend with your brother. l won't tell the Kitchen Witch if you don't." he said miming a hush. He referred to the main chef of Calmary, Brinda... a beautiful young woman, with a horrible temper. She was called the Kitchen Witch for a reason... said to steal the youth of the younglings that crossed her in her kitchen. Worse, she didn't even try and stop the rumors or correct them. She helped spread them if anything. "Cause trust me, l don't want to be the one to break the news. She'll get me too."

6biK63y.png

"Yes Sir!" Lyle spoke getting into the salute position. Lyle was indeed intimidated by the captain but he always tries his hardest to hide it. He wasn't mad at his punishment, he deserved it. It wasn't right for him or anyone to be starring at someone even when they were visibly uncomfortable. He turns Renee,  "My apologies mam, I acted rashly. I should not have acted the way I did and I shall take my punishment accordingly. Even if I am not forced to, if the barracks require cleaning I shall clean them on my own volition. So please do not feel bad for you have nothing to guilt yourself over." Lyle owed much to Lord Coel, scrubbing the barracks is nothing compared to the kindness the man had shown him and his sister. Besides, if a job needs to be done then someone must take care of it either way. Then the proposal came up about sparring and a smile grew across his face,

Gv53FA8.png

"Gladly, Sir! I'd love to clash steel with you once more! I'll show you just how much I've improved!" His excitement drenched his voice. He wishes that the dinner be over sooner so that he could go straight to the match. Even if most likely he'd get knocked on his butt a barley leave a scratch on the man. Hell, landing a scratch on him would be achievement enough for him and even more the better.

Lyla_Really_Smug_Talk.png

"That's a deal then, neither of us tells and neither of us gets in trouble. It is true that I finished up my duties before I sneaked out so she shouldn't get too upset." She responds to the commander, and gives a smug look to Blake, not even dignifying him with a response. Just a very smug smile. 

LQ9aKr7.png

"Well, that works too, I suppose. It was good seeing you, Commander, everyone." He seems unaffected by the punchable smugness of Lyla's smile, and with another nod, drifts away from the group once more...

Blake knew he should probably just leave them alone, but his curiosity (and a bit of pity) forced him to approach the mysterious Morgan. He stands at a respectful distance.

tTvnHgG.png

"I understand you aren't much for chitchat, friend, so I will make this brief - but I must ask: Why come to an event like this if you prefer not to socialize?"

Morgan visibly flinched at being approached again, though they seemed to calm down a bit upon realizing that there were no accusations being made. Yet.

pOI5NL9.png

"Huh? Um, I had a couple reasons. . . The food is supposed to be really good and I forget to eat dinner sometimes, so I thought coming would be a good idea. And, uh, I thought it would get my parents off my back for a while. . ." Morgan had other reasons for attending, too, but didn't particularly feel like voicing them at the moment; they had thought that it might be a good chance to try and actually talk to somebody, but as soon as Morgan had arrived, they were overwhelmed with nervousness and found a corner to huddle in. Which, of course, just led to nobody wanting to talk to them.