Team for E-16 Upgrade to E-17?

Lady Hawke

Hello, everyone, I haven't posted here before (I just joined) so I'm unsure of the format, so please forgive any mistakes! I just beat Radomus in E16 on my first run, and this is my current (in rotation) team - I usually just swap out one of them like in volleyball:

Greninja: Protean ability; has Extrasensory, Water Pledge, Rock Smash, Smack Down

Drapion: Sniper ability; has Cross Poison, Fell Stinger, Toxic Spikes, Night Slash

Meowstic (female): Infiltrator ability; has Charge Beam, Disarming Voice, Psychic, Shadow Ball

Pangoro: Mold Breaker ability; has Crunch, Vital Throw, Cut, Strength (yes, I know, I'm literally just using it as an HM worker, but it also took down Ditto-Arceus)

Trevenant: Natural Cure ability; has Will-O-Wisp, Horn Leech, Confuse Ray, Phantom Force

Emolga: Static ability; has Acrobatics, Discharge, Air Slash and Pursuit (my libero)

Charizard: Solar Power ability; has Fire Pledge, Wing Attack, Slash, Flare Blitz (I want to turn this into a proper special attacker but I'm working my way up to it)

I'm not including natures because I can swap them out at the Pokemon psychologist, but feel free to suggest any?

Also, Pokemon I'm currently training/considering adding to the roster just for some variety: Vanilluxe, Florges, Escavalier, Roserade, Dunsparce, Arcanine, Granbull.

My question is: do I need to upgrade any of my team/add any new members before I go for Luna's gym battle? Also, is having perfect IVs necessary for any of the upcoming battles? I haven't EV-trained properly but intend to do so once I have Pokemon with better IVs. I also intend to start a new run very soon (maybe a written one that I can post here...or somewhere...), so any advice for a psychic or fairy run would be appreciated as well.

(P.S. does anyone know where to find the Wild Charge TM? I checked the TM compilation page on the forum and I'm still lost. Is it supposed to be in Byxbysion Wasteland?)

No, perfect IVs and optimal EVs aren't required, although they can certainly help you in several cases. As for natures, it's preferable to have one that lowers a useless stat (like Sp. Attack on Heracross) and boosts another stat (best one/ Speed). Basically both Timid and Modest are the best ones for Meowstic and Special Attackers overall, Jolly, Adamant (Physical Attackers) or Impish for Drapion. Wild Charge is in Tourmaline Desert iirc, so you can't find it just yet. 

Granbull, Escavalier and Florges are good choices against Luna, so you might want to use them. 

First of all, welcome! :D 

Well, your team seems very well-rounded, in my eyes at least. Florges would be a nice addition, since you lack a specially defensive wall. An Ice type would come in handy too, even though I consider Mamoswine or Swift Swim Beartic with Icicle Crash, Aqua Jet, Superpower and Play Rough to be superior choices to Vanilluxe.

For Luna's battle, I think you'll be ok, as long as you get a Fell Stinger last hit with Drapion. Malamar will probably get OHKO'ed by that anyways, giving you the chance to sweep afterwards. Also, Pangoro can literally Vital Throw everything out of the window. 

Perfect IVs aren't necessary for any stage/fight of the game. In none of my runs I had perfect IV mons, apart from 1-2 exceptions. However, I did EV train my mons as soon as I got access to Power items. Which is, after solving the dreadful Heracross Pinsir Tauros Bouffalant puzzle in South Aventurine Woods (kill me now). IVs make only a tiny difference in-game, but EVs matter much more. Neither is considered necessary, but they can make your life easier. Especially the EVs.

For my advice on Psychic/Fairy types... I'd say Ribombee is a good choice for Fairy. Fast, good Sp. Attack, has great utility as well. Delphox is a very good Psychic mon. 

As for the Wild Charge TM... I have no clue... :( 

PS: Don't worry about the format! We aren't Smogon here! xD Anything that is easy to read and comprehend is perfectly fine! Enjoy your stay in the forums! ;) 

10 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

No, perfect IVs and optimal EVs aren't required, although they can certainly help you in several cases. As for natures, it's preferable to have one that lowers a useless stat (like Sp. Attack on Heracross) and boosts another stat (best one/ Speed). Basically both Timid and Modest are the best ones for Meowstic and Special Attackers overall, Jolly, Adamant (Physical Attackers) or Impish for Drapion. Wild Charge is in Tourmaline Desert iirc, so you can't find it just yet. 

Granbull, Escavalier and Florges are good choices against Luna, so you might want to use them. 

LOL, I missed Sandal. Need to replay the game. Re: natures, I have a Timid Meowstic, so it works out. I'm not too concerned about the natures otherwise rn - because again, I can just get my Pickup team to get me heart scales for the nature change. Re: Wild Charge...I'm not looking forward to spending the rest of this game with only Discharge on my Physical Attacker Emolga...sighs. Might have to swap her out after all until I get there.

14 minutes ago, Jess said:

Perfect IVs aren't necessary for any stage/fight of the game. In none of my runs I had perfect IV mons, apart from 1-2 exceptions. However, I did EV train my mons as soon as I got access to Power items. Which is, after solving the dreadful Heracross Pinsir Tauros Bouffalant puzzle in South Aventurine Woods (kill me now). IVs make only a tiny difference in-game, but EVs matter much more. Neither is considered necessary, but they can make your life easier. Especially the EVs.

For my advice on Psychic/Fairy types... I'd say Ribombee is a good choice for Fairy. Fast, good Sp. Attack, has great utility as well. Delphox is a very good Psychic mon.  

(firstly, thank you both for being so welcoming)

I was actually planning to EV train but then one of my mons caught Pokerus...and I may have accidentally grinded my main team to the point of no return. I kept one mon with it in my box just so I could spread it to the others I'm training, but...I'm just waiting to access the higher floors of the Dept Store at this point so I can get the EV berries. Tfw Big Miss Steak.

And I'm definitely experimenting with both Florges and Granbull in the roster now, thanks! I've barely used either anyway so far, I usually find my Trevenant is enough to tank. I actually also vastly prefer Mamoswine over Vanilluxe, but I haven't found it in the game yet. I don't think I've come across Cubchoo either, come to think of it? I've also never used a Ribombee, but I'm going to play around with that a bit now that it's been suggested.

10 minutes ago, Lady Hawke said:

I actually also vastly prefer Mamoswine over Vanilluxe, but I haven't found it in the game yet. I don't think I've come across Cubchoo either, come to think of it?

You can find both Swinub and Cubchoo in Citrine Mountain. One entrance is near Shade's Gym.

15 minutes ago, Lady Hawke said:

LOL, I missed Sandal. Need to replay the game. Re: natures, I have a Timid Meowstic, so it works out. I'm not too concerned about the natures otherwise rn - because again, I can just get my Pickup team to get me heart scales for the nature change. Re: Wild Charge...I'm not looking forward to spending the rest of this game with only Discharge on my Physical Attacker Emolga...sighs. Might have to swap her out after all until I get there.

(firstly, thank you both for being so welcoming)

I was actually planning to EV train but then one of my mons caught Pokerus...and I may have accidentally grinded my main team to the point of no return. I kept one mon with it in my box just so I could spread it to the others I'm training, but...I'm just waiting to access the higher floors of the Dept Store at this point so I can get the EV berries. Tfw Big Miss Steak.

And I'm definitely experimenting with both Florges and Granbull in the roster now, thanks! I've barely used either anyway so far, I usually find my Trevenant is enough to tank. I actually also vastly prefer Mamoswine over Vanilluxe, but I haven't found it in the game yet. I don't think I've come across Cubchoo either, come to think of it? I've also never used a Ribombee, but I'm going to play around with that a bit now that it's been suggested.

I know you're not there yet, but don't worry about having suboptimal EV spread because of the pokerus; when you get to E16 content, you'll find EV resetting disks (for each stat) avaliable for purchase ($10000 each disk; fully resets EV on a particular stat). So you'll be able to re-train your main team to your liking.

As for Gen VII, a personal favourite of mine is Oricorio. I know it might not have the best base stats, but I love it's versatility. Being able to change freely it's type (free-ish; it costs $2000 per change IIRC) it's something quite useful.

And regarding Luna, maybe swap Meowstic for either Granbull or Florges? Other than that you're good to go!

Edited by Maltor

3 minutes ago, Maltor said:

I know you're not there yet, but don't worry about having suboptimal EV spread because of the pokerus; when you get to E16 content, you'll find EV resetting disks (for each stat) avaliable for purchase ($10000 each disk; fully resets EV on a particular stat). So you'll be able to re-train your main team to your liking.

As for Gen VII, a personal favourite of mine is Oricorio. I know it might not have the best base stats, but I love it's versatility. Being able to change freely it's type (free-ish; it costs $2000 per change IIRC) it's something quite useful.

This is super helpful!!! I was actually really worried about the EV spread on my Drapion specifically - it has no special attacks but over a hundred EV on that stat. Hopefully it can still deal with Luna's gym and onwards until I get to that point. Also $$$ is...really not an issue in this game tbh, I'm already at maximum $$$ because I invest well lmao. Oricorio is an adorable mon so I was actually planning to try it, and now I definitely will since I know it's very versatile as well, thank you!!

9 minutes ago, Maltor said:

Speaking of Gen VII and changing type, Silvally is in my opinion really good. It's also already available.

@Lady Hawke

a few tips and stuffs for ya:

- Catch a pokemon now or later on (later on preferred imo) with stealth rock and sturdy.

- catch some water types (tympole, lotad, wooper, whisi washi?) while they are still available

- Meowstic will do amazing as a ligth screen / reflect setup'er.

That's all,  your team looks good but lacks some variety.

On 12/21/2017 at 7:56 PM, dotahkin01 said:

@Lady Hawke

a few tips and stuffs for ya:

- Catch a pokemon now or later on (later on preferred imo) with stealth rock and sturdy.

- catch some water types (tympole, lotad, wooper, whisi washi?) while they are still available

- Meowstic will do amazing as a ligth screen / reflect setup'er.

That's all,  your team looks good but lacks some variety.

its not lack of variety .. it lack moeness ..