Quotes 2.0

Maelstrom

Since the original is archived... A new Quotes Thread.

zv6VW0sxSQqjhQ9vIq8UZg.png

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." -attributed to Admiral Yamamoto after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Admiral Yamamoto has been noted in history as having been against the war with the US from the very start.

In Godzilla: Giant Monsters All Out Attack, Godzilla is literally the wrathful incarnation of all the souls lost in the Pacific Conflict (WWII) who arises to take vengeance on the country for wanting to forget the cruelty inflicted on those it conquered during its imperialistic expansion. As there are some people who deny that the Holocaust happened, there are some people who deny the wartime atrocities in the Pacific or would prefer to minimize and downplay it as much as possible in the history taught in schools in Japan and elsewhere.

Some interpret the original Godzilla as having an anti-American slant to it. I don't think it's really anti-American. It certainly has been interpreted as a warning against unchecked progress when it come to technology, with various following films having definite lessons about environmentalism. I would say that the view of America in these movies is certainly ambiguous, but never all out just anti-American in any way. It is American bomb testing that creates the monster that ravages Japan in the original. In the reboot, Shin Godzilla, the US has had a part to play in the creation of the monster there as well as influencing a great deal from behind the scenes. Considering the historical roles and the string of events that pulled the US into conflict with Japan during WWII, I'd say the films always had a certain amount of acknowledgement of their own role in events that lead to mass destruction and how the people must come together and change their views and strategies to overcome these monsters. I've always appreciated Godzilla films in a casual, action and destruction loving way, but as I grew older I've appreciated the historical context and cultural viewpoints that each of these movies tell us about during their individual releases.

Also, over-simplistic explanation but it gives a bit of food for thought:

(I've checked out other videos by this yt channel and many of them are oversimplistic and/or inaccurate [their X country vs Y country vids are actually quite ludicrous and I feel they don't understand a great deal about the weapons and systems they talk about], so just stick with this one for the most part)

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." Groucho Marx

"Life is cruel. It is daunting to face it. However it is only when we face it and learn from it can we truly grow as a person" Anonymous

"Sometimes you lose a friend. Maybe you get in a fight, or you grow apart. It's just a sad sad sad sad sad sad part of life. But you know what's the best thing about friends? No matter how many you lose, you can always make more." Micheal J Caboose

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu

"The best way to solve problems and to fight against war is through dialogue." - Malala Yousafzai

"Peace is not a relationship of nations. It is a condition of mind brought about by a serenity of soul. Peace is not merely the absence of war. It is also a state of mind. Lasting peace can come only to peaceful people." - Jawaharlal Nehru

"The war... was an unnecessary condition of affairs, and might have been avoided if forbearance and wisdom had been practiced on both sides." - Robert E. Lee

"It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

"We should seek by all means in our power to avoid war, by analysing possible causes, by trying to remove them, by discussion in a spirit of collaboration and good will." - Neville Chamberlain

"War is not merely a political act but a real political instrument, a continuation of political intercourse, a carrying out of the same by other means." - Carl von Clausewitz

"In war, events of importance are the result of trivial causes." - Julius Caesar

"If we don't end war, war will end us." - H. G. Wells

"We're in a rain dance

Let it splash on your head

You coulda been in pain but you're rejoicing instead

It's a rain dance

Finding joy through your pain

And once you've done it this time you are never the same"

- Lyrics from Rain Dance by Odyssey Eurobeat/T. Stebbins

IDK they're just vaguely inspirational

"What are you, a Jedi or a Sith?"

"I am Vergere, what are you?"

- Jacen Solo and Vergere

(Jacen's question might be slightly paraphrased, oops.) And my favorite of quotes. There's a lot of meaning loaded into this little exchange, more if you put it in full context, but the part I like to take away from it is the importance of defining yourself by who you are, not what group you're part of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!”
― Sylvester Stallone, Rocky Balboa

"The auth smells very good" - bibs

... what, want a serious one too? Ok, this one from Dark Souls 3 may not seem very meaningful without context, but I find it great because it contains so much about disillusion, injustice and how raw power prevails over virtue. It easily applies to the real world, really. Imagine it uttered in the voice of a discouraged, cynical warrior who has deserted his duties long ago.

"But what do you really know about these Lords of Cinder, these supposed legends? Let's take Aldrich, for one. A right and proper cleric, only, he developed a habit of devouring men.

He ate so many that he bloated like a drowned pig, then softened into sludge, so they stuck him in the Cathedral of the Deep. And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a Lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?" - Hawkwood

Don't fear me for who I am. Fear me for what I am capable of.

Nadia: I wanted to be an explorer. See other worlds with my own eyes... but one life wasn't enough time to see the stars so I found a way to transfer the human consciousness between bodies and in that creation- soar. Suddenly anyone could travel distances beyond imagination faster than light, and no one would ever be limited by one lifetime again.

Takeshi: That's... That's beautiful.

Nadia: Rome was a town of refugee cattle herders, but it became the most powerful empire of ancient earth. Do you know why? Roads. Roads were the technology that let them send their armies all over the world. I thought I was freeing the human spirit, but I was building the roads for Rome. Eternal life for those who could afford it means eternal control over those who can't. That is the gift I gave humanity.

Altered Carbon is pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

"If you look at people today who are not in conflict with science, they have viewed their religious text as something that gives them spiritual support, not as a science textbook. The conflict in society is when you have those who are still religious who want to use their religious text as their access point to the natural world. Persistent efforts of the past to make that happen have just simply failed. The bible does not work as a science text book. In fact Galileo knew this, and he himself was a religious man. He is famously quoted as saying, 'the bible tells you how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go.'" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 3 weeks later...

Iroh:

"Failure is only the opportunity to try again. Only this time, more wisely."

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it only from one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others, the other elements, the other nations, will help you become whole."

"Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote for shame."

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not."

"While it is always best to believe in one's self, a little help from others can be a great blessing."

"There is nothing wrong with a life of peace and prosperity. I suggest you think about what it is you want from your life, and why."

"Be careful what you wish for, Admiral. History is not always kind to its subjects."

"It is usually better to admit mistakes when they occur, and seek to restore honor."

"Sometimes the best way to solve your own problems is to help someone else."

"Even in the material world, you will find that if you look for the light, you can often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see."

Edited by Silvermyst

• 3 weeks later...

"Sinful? Corrupt? I don't understand your logic. Why must pleasure and sin be connected? Pleasure gotten through evil means could be a sin. But pleasure can also result from good deeds. What kind of philosophy calls pleasure itself a sin? " - Gil, fate

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle.

“And overpowered by memory
Both men gave way to grief. Priam wept freely
For man - killing Hector, throbbing, crouching
Before Achilles' feet as Achilles wept himself,
Now for his father, now for Patroclus once again
And their sobbing rose and fell throughout the house. "

- Homer's Iliad

"It's in our nature to want to rise above our limits. We were cold, so we harnessed fire. We were weak, so we invented tools. Every time we met an obstacle, we used creativity and ingenuity to overcome it. The cycle is inevitable... but will the outcome always be good?" - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex HR.

"When your enemies defy you, you must serve them steel and fire. When they go to their knees, however, you must help them back to their feet. Elsewise, no man will ever bend the knee to you. And any man who must say ‘I am the king’ is no true king at all. Aerys never understood that, but you will. When I’ve won your war for you, we will restore the king’s peace and the king’s justice." - Tywin Lannister, ASOIAF/GOT.

"Ideals never become reality without sacrifices...Sacrifices only a few could ever countenance."  - Arvis Velthomer, FE Genealogy of the Holy War.

"The things we can't obtain are the most beautiful ones." - Gil, fate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Life is a serious battle, and you have to use the tools you're given. It's more important to master the cards you're holding than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt."

-Grimsley (Pokémon Black/White/Black 2/White 2)