• Psychic
    • Bug
    • Dragon
    • Ghost
    • Dark
    • Steel
    • Fairy

This poll is closed to new votes

Hello guys I'm back. I think. I'm looking to do a Mono Run. But this time I want to know what type you guys want to see.

Now I haven't included Rock or Ice because there aren't any of them right at the start of the game and I want it to be a full playthrough without having to cheat something in or trade.

Other than that pick away and if you chose a type that has multiple starters I am leaving it to you guys to decide what starter you want me to use. (Yes I will do it even if you try to mess with me (Looking at you Meganium))

1 last thing is the final rule I will impose on myself (if possible for some types its not) I must always keep my starter on me. And pokemon will get names once they have earned them.

~Stompa

Edit: I probably won't be starting until after Christmas

I'm feeling like a bad guy, so I'm gonna say Fighting. "But Wolfox, there are a lot of good fighting types. Why would you be a bad guy for suggesting that type?". Very simple person who questions me, the metagame. Now, I know that meta and reborn are far apart. But, that doesn't mean they can't translate into each other, of only slightly. Case in point: Fighting is one of the worst types in the Monotype meta. due to many counters in the types they're strong against, many types that completely blow them out of the water (for example fairy)n and last but not least: balance. or lack thereof. most fighting types are physical attackers and kinda slow. Like, the fastest one I can think of right now is Infernape and that's only slightly above base 100 (not counting speed boost blaziken btw), so a good to decent physical wall will just send you packing.

Also, believe it or not, but Meganium is pretty decent in Reborn due to it being quite a bulky mon. also Chikorita is the cutest starter ever, and that also counts

I choose grass too. So many options to choose from, but none overpowered. I usually do not choose grass instead getting the same coverage by water+electric types, so it would be more fun to emphasize this type.

Also, I think Torterra is really cool.

34 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

I'm feeling like a bad guy, so I'm gonna say Fighting. "But Wolfox, there are a lot of good fighting types. Why would you be a bad guy for suggesting that type?". Very simple person who questions me, the metagame. Now, I know that meta and reborn are far apart. But, that doesn't mean they can't translate into each other, of only slightly. Case in point: Fighting is one of the worst types in the Monotype meta. due to many counters in the types they're strong against, many types that completely blow them out of the water (for example fairy)n and last but not least: balance. or lack thereof. most fighting types are physical attackers and kinda slow. Like, the fastest one I can think of right now is Infernape and that's only slightly above base 100 (not counting speed boost blaziken btw), so a good to decent physical wall will just send you packing.

Also, believe it or not, but Meganium is pretty decent in Reborn due to it being quite a bulky mon. also Chikorita is the cutest starter ever, and that also counts

Fighting is OK vs Fairy, they have Toxicroak and Lucario. Bullet Punch Lucario and Poison Jab Toxicroak can lift their weight there. Also, Blaziken and Infernape are pretty much aces in Reborn. The biggest issue is Flying. Apart from Lucario, they have literally NOTHING that takes neutral damage by flying types! And good Rock type moves aren't available in Reborn till WTC and Rock Tomb. So, 1 okay Rock move it is. Crabominable makes it kinda better, but it still doesn't resist Flying and is slow as hell. Well, I'd not enjoy it! xD

OK so 16 votes in and its not going where I expected with both grass and fairy each at 3 votes which is interesting. Also people voting for Grass it would deffinatly help me if you guys said what starter you would like me to use. At this point I have had 1 vote for a grass starter in Torterra and kinda 1 vote for Venusaur (it was voted as the poison starter not as grass but it is a grass type so it kinda counts).

• Veterans
46 minutes ago, Jess said:

Fighting is OK vs Fairy, they have Toxicroak and Lucario. Bullet Punch Lucario and Poison Jab Toxicroak can lift their weight there. Also, Blaziken and Infernape are pretty much aces in Reborn. The biggest issue is Flying. Apart from Lucario, they have literally NOTHING that takes neutral damage by flying types! And good Rock type moves aren't available in Reborn till WTC and Rock Tomb. So, 1 okay Rock move it is. Crabominable makes it kinda better, but it still doesn't resist Flying and is slow as hell. Well, I'd not enjoy it! xD

Mono Fighting in Reborn -does- have the relieve of the only flying spamming boss so far being Ciel, who's at a point where basically all fighting types are available and on a field that benefits fighting types just as much; Hawlucha can pretty much curbstomp her tbh, especially with the new seeds.

Personally I'd be interested in seeing someone mono Dragon or Electric; some of the harder monos in my opinion.(Well Dragon's only hard up to Serra, after that basically every Dragon is fully evolved and you start getting access to stuff like Tyrantrum, Haxorus and Dragalge...)

11 hours ago, St0mpa said:

OK so 16 votes in and its not going where I expected with both grass and fairy each at 3 votes which is interesting. Also people voting for Grass it would deffinatly help me if you guys said what starter you would like me to use. At this point I have had 1 vote for a grass starter in Torterra and kinda 1 vote for Venusaur (it was voted as the poison starter not as grass but it is a grass type so it kinda counts).

Remembering my Mono-Grass run through E16, I can say that Chespin helped me quite a lot thanks to some nice early game coverage (Rollout against Flying/Bug/Fire or Pin Missile which is helpful against Rini thanks to a field boost). And it is quite tanky, which can help you quite a lot (the combination of Leech Seed, Spiky Shield and Drain Punch later on lets it heal quite a lot too). But I guess you need to like defensive mons to enjoy it properly xD

1 hour ago, Neco said:

Remembering my Mono-Grass run through E16, I can say that Chespin helped me quite a lot thanks to some nice early game coverage (Rollout against Flying/Bug/Fire or Pin Missile which is helpful against Rini thanks to a field boost). And it is quite tanky, which can help you quite a lot (the combination of Leech Seed, Spiky Shield and Drain Punch later on lets it heal quite a lot too). But I guess you need to like defensive mons to enjoy it properly xD

Oh I very much enjoy defensive mons. In copetetive my go to thing is stalling so I might enjoy it very much.

OK I will be closing this poll about this time tomorrow. As Grass is looking like its gonna win I would like people to vote for which starter they would like me to use cause as I said.

On 19/12/2017 at 10:18 PM, St0mpa said:

1 last thing is the final rule I will impose on myself (if possible for some types its not) I must always keep my starter on me.

Also anyone looking for me to a different type will have to try to get others cause grass is a little ways into the lead.

Mhh well lets see:

Venusaur: Well there are actially more Mons with Grass Poison Types, so I think to use another one for a run wouldn't be so intresting

Meganium: Well... NOPE!!!

Sceptile: Would be my favourite for this run, fast and very strong, also with Overgrow a real Killer

Torterra: Would be my second choice, a ground Mon could be very helpful sometimes :)

Serperior: Never played with it, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chesnaught: Good defender and with fighting moves can it be very helpful

Decidueye: A ghost can also be very intresting for a grass run ;)

• Veterans
17 minutes ago, Jess said:

So, you guys really hate @St0mpa for suggesting Treecko... Good luck with early game, as it is probably the weakest starter that exists till it learns Leaf Blade at lvl.23...

Treecko is an absolute pain in the ass, especially since to be at it's best you have to delay evolution until level 21/22 for Giga Drain, which it only gets as a Treecko. After that though, it quickly redeemed itself by putting in fantastic amounts of work.

2 minutes ago, Jess said:

So, you guys really hate @St0mpa for suggesting Treecko... Good luck with early game, as it is probably the weakest starter that exists till it learns Leaf Blade at lvl.23...

eh I'm not worried about the early game up unti corey but I think corey could be a huge pain as well as aya a little later. I don't think shelly will be a problem as I have some ideas charlot will be a demon or laughable as I have a plan but if it doesn't work she will be hell.

Just now, Azeria said:

Treecko is an absolute pain in the ass, especially since to be at it's best you have to delay evolution until level 21/22 for Giga Drain, which it only gets as a Treecko. After that though, it quickly redeemed itself by putting in fantastic amounts of work.

I will prob end up running it special and I will be taking treeko to level 25 to get agility to help it out or if I don't want to wait that long just get giga drain and evolve it.

1 hour ago, St0mpa said:

eh I'm not worried about the early game up unti corey but I think corey could be a huge pain as well as aya a little later. I don't think shelly will be a problem as I have some ideas charlot will be a demon or laughable as I have a plan but if it doesn't work she will be hell.

You can get quite a few Poison/Grass mons early on, so you might find it easier vs Corey and Aya than you think. Weepinbell and Gloom in particular, together with that amazing Jumpluff save lives.

For Charlotte, you can do some shenanigans with Prankster Whimsicott and Stun Spore and/or Jumpluff with Sleep Powder. Of course, Rain Dance/Swift Swim Ludicolo and Cradily are a must for this battle, because Grass doesn't have a lot of type coverage (apart from Poison and maybe Ghost).