Unpopular Character Opinions

andracass

• Veterans

Everyone's got favorite characters, right? Least favorite characters, too? Characters everyone loves to hate? 

I'm wondering what characters people either: love when everyone else hates; or hates when everyone else loves.

Go against the grain! Be a special snowflake!

(This post is brought to you by the fact that I really don't like Ness. Bleh.)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General, if it was Reborn it wouldn’t belong in this section of the forums.

characters I like people a lot of people hate;

Cloud (Final Fantasy VII)

Tidus (Final Fantasy X)

Snow (Final Fantasy XIII)

Tails (Sonic)

Demyx (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Nagito (Danganronpa 2)

Ryuichi (Persona 5)

Characters I really don’t like that people Love;

Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)

Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII)

Shadow (Sonic)

Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2)

Groose (Zelda Skyward Sword)

Mercy (Overwatch)

Roy, Jigglypuff, and Pichu being in Super Smash Bros.

this all I can think of from the top of my head.

Ness and Lukas in Smash. All they do is spam PK Fire and it's just annoying as hell. I really hate them... Most of the time when I hear people talk about them in smash it's that they are fan favorites. but I really can't see it because all they fucking do is spam the same one input. It's gotten to the point where I don't even wanna play the games they're from, as my opinion on the characters is already gone to shit far enough that it makes me wanna fight a pro Brawl Meta Knight player before I ever wanna play against any Ness and Lukas "mains" ever again. Did I mention that all the players do who "main" ness and Lukas is SPAM PK FIRE?

Get good, wolfox and maybe you'll face a Lucas that can't spam pk fire at you successfully. Maybe one of these days I shall show you a true Lucas... although Lucas is much better in Brawl than Sm4sh.

Pikachu. Pikachu sucks. 'nuff said.

Jigglypuff. Why is she taking up a pokemon slot, stupid joke kirby smash clone...

Tracer. annoying. little. bint.

Roy and Marth. Never like playing as them. (Royal) We like Ike.

Dante. Poster-boy of bad one liners and edgey bullshit, this fratboy with stupid OP powers gets my downvote.

Goku/Natsu/Naruto/Gon/Luffie etc- Nevermind 'get off my lawn', why are these idiots trying to eat my lawn? I hate stupid main protags with a passion.

Shinji Ikari from Evangeliion. Quit your whining, you sniveling little...

... I'm sure I'll come up with more later...

since its posted in gaming general rather than reborn city, id think its safe to assume that its gaming in general, not just reborn.

as for the character I absolutely love but that a lot of people seem to dislike nonetheless

CyplZJv.png

this is what you do to dorcas when you tell him hes a bad unit, you awful people.

also on a non-meme related note, I actually quite like lowen in fe7. 'course, hes not nearly up there with sain, but he can actually be a high-movement physical wall, that doesnt do the job nearly as good as oswin or hector, but has a fuckton of move more to compensate for that.

3 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

Get good, wolfox and maybe you'll face a Lucas that can't spam pk fire at you successfully. Maybe one of these days I shall show you a true Lucas... although Lucas is much better in Brawl than Sm4sh.

never said it worked on me did I? I only said that that's all they did, which is still fucking annoying as fucking fuck

1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

never said it worked on me did I? I only said that that's all they did, which is still fucking annoying as fucking fuck

then you need to find better Lucas mains. Lucas neutral attack combo was bread and butter since it came out so fast with a bit of priority, along with some really powerful moves that require timing and foresight.

3 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

then you need to find better Lucas mains. Lucas neutral attack combo was bread and butter since it came out so fast with a bit of priority, along with some really powerful moves that require timing and foresight.

That's easy to do in 4Glory, choosing your opponents

2 hours ago, Godot said:

Cloud (Final Fantasy VII)

Tidus (Final Fantasy X)

Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)

I personally don't like Cloud for the same reason I don't like Aeris/Aerith and Sephiroth; they're all boring characters. I know Cloud has something wrong with him because of Shinra and all, but that doesn't excuse a boring character arc. Frankly playing as Cid was one of the highlights of FF7 for me. As for Tidus, I think that awkward laugh scene was my issue with him, along with the near-constant monologing to himself.

I'd assume that people like Ness and Lucas because of their home games/nostalgia? But onto characters, I have issues with.

Lucina (FE Awakening)- Listen, I know she has a tragic plot and all, but frankly Lucina is kind of a boring character. You only get her halfway through the game, and keeping her alive (or active I suppose) is optional. Frankly, she didn't seem that memorable to me.

Azura (FE Fates)- Take everything I said about Lucina, and multiply that by ten, and then you have Azura. The fact that Fates seemed to be forcing you to romance her was just the tasteless cherry on the bland cake that was Azura. (and no, I haven't done Revalations, but I doubt she suddenly becomes interesting in it.)

And finally, we have her...

Camilla (FE Fates)- I'm getting some seriously weird vibes from everyone who marries their Corrin off to Camilla. Like, really? I mean, there are two very obvious reasons she's such a popular character... Her purple hair and her personality.

I suppose I could list mine:

Characters I like that most People hate:

Shion (Xenosaga...yeah she can get annoying)

Rin (Pokemon Rejuvenation)

Titania (Pokemon Reborn)

Tidus (FFX)

Micaiah (FE Radiant Dawn)

Takumi (FE Fates...though he's kind of on both sides of the spectrum)

I may add to this list later, but I do tend to not mind or like characters most people hate. But let's get to the fun one:

Characters I hate that most people love:

Sephiroth (FFVII I love him in KH but the actual game...bleh)

Lyn (FE7...she's such a boring character)

Azura (FE: Fates. She is literally the worst character in that game and half the reason C! Corrin is a terrible lord)

Ansem/Xehanort/whatever he's called now (Kingdom Hearts. First game he's good but...after 10 years of the same exact guy with the same exact plan he gets dull.)

FIOOOOOORRRAAAAA! (Xenoblade. Not really hate, but I don't care for her)

This is harder than I thought. Oh well those are some fun ones though.

(not sure if this is supposed to just include Video game characters, but all my anime characters appear in video games......so)

characters I like people a lot of people hate:

Vanillite line (Pokemon)--Adorable design, but questionable stats

Titina (Reborn)

Spoiler

This is for Ep 16 and E17's lighter path, so it might change going through E17's darker path

Crew (Jak 2/x)

Rain (Jak X)

Shin Asuka (Gundam Seed Destiny; Super Robot Wars)---- Not a terrible character, just terrible writing (SRW Z proved he can be written well)

Shinji Ikari (Eveangeilon franchise; Super Robot Wars)---Has every right to complain

characters I don't like people a lot of people love:

Plusle/Minun--- I get they are cute, but they represent a gimmick(?) which was showing off double battles

Red (Pokemon Red/Gen 1)

Blue (Pokemon Red/Gen 1)

Taka (Reborn)---

Spoiler

This is just for up toE16, since I have yet to play darker ep 17 route.

Koishi Komeiji (Touhou Project)----Seriously, why is this character always in the top 3?

Asuka L. Soryu (Evangelion; Super Robot Wars)

Suzaku Kururugi (Code Geass; SRW)---I don't know if he has more fans, but he has a portion

Spoiler

Shinji Ikari (Eveangeilon franchise; Super Robot Wars)---Has every right to complain

'All I'm good for is fighting (except he sucks at fighting) but I don't wanna fight'. 'Nevermind that the fate of the world and my friends rely on my compatibility with this eva. I'm gonna bitch out because this thing that other people find easy is hard for me.'

Shinji is a base bitch with base bitchout-instincts and no redeeming features whatsoever. kill him with napalm and replace him with someone competent. 

Pretty sure his headphones and lack of feelings contributed to Minato from Persona 3, though. Except for the lack of outright bitching and moaning, you could say Minato is a spitting image of Shinji, odd as that sounds. Shinji is a weak little shit who has no business being anything. But that was the point. Especially with the way they compared him to Asuka. Plot armor aside, I'd rather watch more episodes of One Piece (and I really hate one piece) than associate with that pile of garbage. Regardless of what people tell Shinji... he has no sense of reality or anything at all and that kills him as a character in multiple senses. Useless trash, through and through.

• Veterans

I found (oh dear I can't believe I'm about to say this) FFVII as a whole to be fairly disappointing. It's just... such a bland game. It's not an active hate, it's more of an "eh, oh yeah, that game, right, it's a thing, sure, i suppose, i mean, technically, yeah...what were we talking about?"

I personally really like Lyn and Azura from Fire Emblem(s), but I can get why people don't like them as much.

Lucina's definitely my fave tho and i'll fight anyone who says she's not great.

26 minutes ago, andracass said:

I personally really like Lyn and Azura from Fire Emblem(s), but I can get why people don't like them as much.

Lucina's definitely my fave tho and i'll fight anyone who says she's not great.

Spoiler

bQElg0Z.jpg

That first playthrough tends to leave an impression.

@andracass Yes... """Marth""" is what I meant to say. It's not that I hate """Marth""" its just that I hate how characters with better development or storylines tend to get shoved to the side when it comes to "Him". (I'm looking at you Voting Gauntlet.) Time Travel is one of those things that can be very difficult to pull off, and Awakening uses it sparingly. (If you just rush and don't care about child units.) Plus I'm getting some real Terminator vibes from the story, but aren't getting nearly enough robots from it.

Oooo.

Camilla (Fire Emblem: Fates.)

Am I a sucker for attractive women? Yeah. Does Intelligent Systems write her well? Not very. Do Heroes and Warriors do her any favors in making her seem more than just a sex object? Not at all.

...but I get what she was supposed to be, and feel that some scenes in Fates are done well for how there are supposed to be interpreted. Camilla is SUPPOSED to be a resistant character to change. It's intentional. And it works for me.

Azura (Fire Emblem: Fates)

Azura feels too present in all routes to be as contriving and nonsensical as she can be. But I like her. First FE wife. I'm loyal.

As for characters I hate but people like...

Kirby (Smash)

Down B. Pls no spam.

• Veterans

I honestly can't think of anything redeeming about Camilla. Just kind of hated seeing her in general. I can't see anything redeeming about her that isn't just a property of her position. 

Azura gets cleared up a bit in Revelations, so she might make more sense if you play that one. (though, to be honest, I never finished revelations- the third act just kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.)

yoshi was my down+B.

I've played all three routes. I like Azura - but she's disliked because she harms the story, particularly in Conquest, just as much as she helps.

Not even that she (Camilla) makes a strong case for best unit in the game? Hate her character all you want. For her availability her stats are great and stay great. Her immediate reclass options give her all the skills she wants. And she doesn't have the prepromote curse. She's like Ryoma, but with room to grow and be tailored to your whim.

I can respect Yoshi.

8 hours ago, andracass said:

Lucina's definitely my fave tho and I'll fight anyone who says she's not great.

This is 100% truth. I will aid you in the battle, Pair Up successful.

7 hours ago, Chase said:

Camilla (Fire Emblem: Fates.)

Am I a sucker for attractive women? Yeah. Does Intelligent Systems write her well? Not very. Do Heroes and Warriors do her any favors in making her seem more than just a sex object? Not at all.

...but I get what she was supposed to be, and feel that some scenes in Fates are done well for how there are supposed to be interpreted. Camilla is SUPPOSED to be a resistant character to change. It's intentional. And it works for me.

You know, I also like Camilla but for her personality toward Corrin. She's an overprotective big sister type and while Corrin's character is really bland, Camilla always makes me laugh in nearly all the supports. be it with Takumi in revelation, her retainers or even with Mr bland ass himself, it always put a smile on my face.