So...Valerie

Moxxey

Hey, guys. My name is Moxxey. I’m a brand-new user, though I’ve been lurking for about two years. I joined to ask for a little help with my team. I think this is the right place to put this, but if it isn’t, please let me know so I can fix it. Still trying to get the hang of this place.
I just finished the events of Blacksteeple Castle and I’m on Terajuma Island, getting ready to fight Valerie. My team (see spoiler tag) has been carrying me through Reborn difficulty, but some of them are admittedly pretty bad and they don’t always work that well as a group. Plus, I’ve heard horror stories about this gym leader.

My team

Spoiler

2017-12-07.png.dd1649644bba5b17119b9099153757b0.png

Here’s what I have in the PC.

Spoiler

5a29bd9b24d80_2017-12-07(1).png.21d2fde95be260aead2920f50672816a.png5a29bdbf53057_2017-12-07(2).png.7032f8514debef504f855e4b9c99f631.png5a29bded2e6f9_2017-12-07(3).png.0e74d33ebaccb1f02ae17fc3b9a98333.png

Really starting to regret not using one of my Heart Scales when I had the chance and teaching Thunder Fang to Nacho, or Thunder Punch to Meditite.

Anyway, an Electric-type would probably be useful, and I’m leaning towards the Pichu. Alolan Raichu would be nice because it would also give me a usable Psychic-type, since I’ve gotten to the point in the game where Strudel’s Psybeam just isn’t cutting it. The downside is that Pichu is currently level 1 and I never bought the Apophyll Pankcakes to evolve it, so I’d be stuck with a Pikachu for a while. I could just use my Thunderstone, but…eh.
There’s Electrike, but I don’t like Manectric that much. Zebstrika’s decent, but frail. I’ve never used Oricorio and my team could benefit from a Flying type. Togedemaru is another interesting option and would add some nice bulk, but I have a Steel-type. And of course, I could always go catch a Grubbin and get a Vikavolt.
I can provide stats/abilities/moves/etc. for any of the Pokémon if needed.

Finally, any other suggestions for the team, from movesets to potential replacements, would be welcome.

Edited by Moxxey

Welcome, and yes you are in the right place.

From what I understand the problems with Valarie stem from the fact that you can't just go back and catch the mons you want/need, you're stuck with what you have.

Serperior is pretty good, just beware Ice Beams and spam Giga Drain. I imagine Oricorio might work here - or any other fast Electric-type, especially after setting up Electric Terrain. You can do that with Togedemaru, for example. If your Togedemaru has Sturdy, all the better. 

There are Pokemon on the island like Morelull, Dustox, Gloom, Weepinbell, and Grubbin (Charjabug evolves in the jungle). Lombre can be found in a grass patch next to a ranger outpost in a small area near the entrance.

Ahh, okay, thank you. Couldn't think of anywhere else to put it.

I was thinking of leading with a Graveller to set up Stealth Rocks, then using Serperior and some kind of Electric type to sweep.

Togedemaru has Iron Barbs, but I have two Ability Capsules, so I could easily change it. Still debating about Oricorio.

Is there anything I should look out for? Like, something that could wall me and be annoying?

1 minute ago, Alex said:

There are Pokemon on the island like Morelull, Dustox, Gloom, Weepinbell, and Grubbin (Charjabug evolves in the jungle). Lombre can be found in a grass patch next to a ranger outpost in a small area near the entrance.

Ooh, did not know that. A Morelull/Ludicolo with Rain Dish might help, though I'm a little worried about Ice moves.

25 minutes ago, Moxxey said:

Ahh, okay, thank you. Couldn't think of anywhere else to put it.

I was thinking of leading with a Graveller to set up Stealth Rocks, then using Serperior and some kind of Electric type to sweep.

Togedemaru has Iron Barbs, but I have two Ability Capsules, so I could easily change it. Still debating about Oricorio.

Is there anything I should look out for? Like, something that could wall me and be annoying?

IIRC she has Milotic and Rotom-Wash. Especially Milotic is tanky, and Rotom-Wash has one weakness only: Grass. On the other hand, Rotom doesn't learn many Ice-type moves. It might not be worth it to waste your ability capsules on Togedemaru (that you most likely won't be using after defeating Valarie).

24 minutes ago, Moxxey said:

Ooh, did not know that. A Morelull/Ludicolo with Rain Dish might help, though I'm a little worried about Ice moves.

Ludicolo is godsend, it takes only neutral damage from Ice-type moves. Giga Drain and Energy Ball are both good moves, but unfortunately only Lotad learns them...

55 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

IIRC she has Milotic and Rotom-Wash. Especially Milotic is tanky, and Rotom-Wash has one weakness only: Grass. On the other hand, Rotom doesn't learn many Ice-type moves. It might not be worth it to waste your ability capsules on Togedemaru (that you most likely won't be using after defeating Valarie).

Ludicolo is godsend, it takes only neutral damage from Ice-type moves. Giga Drain and Energy Ball are both good moves, but unfortunately only Lotad learns them...

Rotom-Wash shouldn't be too much of an issue since Serperior can probably outspeed. Milotic is...Milotic. I'll have to figure something out for that.

True. Iron Barbs might help too, if any of her 'mons are physically attackers.

Ugh, that sucks. I guess I can make due with whatever it learns naturally, which isn't much.

Also, does Lombre only appear at the Ranger Outpost at a certain time of day? The location guide doesn't mention anything, but I've been running around for about 40 minutes and haven't encountered one.

On 12/8/2017 at 12:21 AM, Moxxey said:

Also, does Lombre only appear at the Ranger Outpost at a certain time of day? The location guide doesn't mention anything, but I've been running around for about 40 minutes and haven't encountered one.

Ah that was my mistake, Lombre isn't actually there :s I misread the encounters list.

26 minutes ago, Alex said:

Ah that was my mistake, Lombre isn't actually there :s I misread the encounters list.

It's okay! I gave up on the idea after about an hour and just trained up Togedemaru. Used Graveller for Stealth Rock, let Lanturn knock it out, then swept most of her team with Serperior (Togedemaru helped with the bulkier stuff, like Milotic and Slowbro). Won on the first try ;u;

I guess this topic can be closed, but I have no idea how to do that.