Wormadam-Sand Soloes Julia

Ross_Andrews

So I caught a Burmy just for completion's sake and I said: "Let me see what it can learn... HOLY S**T!".

Upon evolution Sandy Wormadam now (Gen 7) learns Quiver Dance. I also got one with Hidden Power Ground. You can see where this is going, right?

My battle with Julia started with her sending out Plusle, then kept spamming Quick Attack while I was spamming QD. It even hit me with Encore, forcing me to go do it 4 times. It went ballistic even on her Oricorio with my non-boosted Bug Bite, which was my only "check".

This is the most one-sided gym battle I've ever had and I predict that @Amethyst may move Wormadam a bit further in the game. Imagine setting up against Florinia with a Thrash/Plant cloak with Ice/Fire/Flying/Bug or whatever else HP. Heck imagine a Double where you put both opponents' pokemon to sleep and then set up to oblivion and beyond. The only drawback may be the stats, but early game it may reck a few gyms in particular.

What's your opinion? Any similar situation?

It is definitely a good mon, I have used it myself(pre gen-7 to boot) to great effect, but it isn't good enough to be pushed back. The main reason is that after the first few gyms and starts to fall off a little (although gen-7 does help it). Another big reason is hardly a lot of people are going to use it, even though it works very well, as it is a rare encounter from a headbutt tree, of which there are few, as well as leveling it up being a bit of a pain.

There is a difference between being unusable after a few gyms and completely steamrolling a gym leader. I wouldn't be surprised that due to the new moveset it would be moved after Julia. Since setting up on a pokemon that can either Encore or Quick Attack you is just OP, I would have started the battle with Voltorb, since it knows Sonic Boom at least.

1 hour ago, Ross_Andrews said:

There is a difference between being unusable after a few gyms and completely steamrolling a gym leader.

I understand your point, but I personally disagree. Pokemon are going to naturally have stronger matchups than others. For example, Marshtomp effectively walls Julia, especially if it's ability is Damp. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be a starter. Similarly, not many people like Wormadam. People aren't going to naturally flock to it.

• 1 month later...

@Mechathulhu

You must evolve Burmy in certain maps. Let me check... You can just evolve it after battling in any cave it seems, even alleys since they count as caves so just go to any of Peridot's Alleyways and enter in a battle with Burmy and it gets Sandy Cloak. If you want to make it permanent then level it up to level 20 while having the Sandy Cloak and being female and you get Sandy Cloak Wormadam!

Edited by Ross_Andrews
Found the answer