What's you favorite mythical creature and why?

Wolfox

the title should explain what this is about really, what's your favorite mythical creature and why is it your favorite?

Mine is the Phoenix, I always loved big birds on posters and in movies growing up, heck the eagle is one of my favorite animals in general, and that has something to do with it. I also love the aspect of the Phoenix being reborn from the ashes when it dies. and as last reason, they look fucking AWSOME:

phoenix-wallpapers.jpeg

Lie to my face right now and tell me that doesn't look awsome

• Developers

I like selkies I find the concept of sheding skin to become a human to be interesting but it is sad that in some of the stories men would take their skin to make sure they stayed with them even though it's harmful for them to be out of their skin for to long

A few years ago, I'd have probably said dragon, but seeing how overused they've become in pop culture, I'd probably say Griffon.

Why? Because it's a bird and a lion combined together that's big enough to ride! What's not to love! Birds of prey are probably one of my favorite species of animal, so griffons win for coolness points alone. Phionex would be a close second though, followed by Bigfoot, because Bigfoot.

• Veterans

Dragons. They represent so much in mythology and various cultures in the world, coming in so many forms, shapes and how they were viewed. In the east, they were revered as deities, in the west, they were thought of as demons and monsters. Honestly they're the epitome of cool in my eyes, regardless of if people see them as overrated, they're primary reason why dragon is my second favourite type.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8f4e839130b725ef639ecd153d91964e.png

Manticore, human head, part lion, part scorpion. Basically a middle eastern (persian) version of the sphinx and europe had their own versions, though the sphinx and manticore have different lores. Anyways, cause mythology is often changed to things that become cooler it was given eagle like wings by Dungeon and dragons and Heroes of might and magic (I came acros it with HoMM) (apperantly the sphinx can also apear with wings)

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160303095143Martigora_engraving.jpg

Ooooh mythology is fun. I think dragons are pretty badass. I think its cool that they're depicted in so many ways. Some are depicted as gods, and others as magical beasts that can kill anything. I also think vampires are pretty cool. Cuz, you know, immortality and vampire powers. Hard for me to say which I like better. Or you could say Castlevania's Dracula. He's both a vampire and a dragon!

@Alistair lol. I get it though. They're like sexy vampires!

@Mocama_cama@ProtoAlpha I love Norse mythology! My favorite beast would have to be Niohoggr.

Edited by Dragoknight

Without a doubt the Lamassu. Even my character's name in Pokemon Reborn is Lamassu. It is an Iraqi protective deity. It has a human head and a body of a bull. I mean just look at it. It's terrifying.

Spoiler

lamassu_by_yigitkoroglu-db294gm.jpg

3 hours ago, GS BALL said:

Vampire. Because nothing beats immortality and knowledge of life, death and the beyond.

Well, I'd say having your soul damned to Hell if someone does manage to put a piece of wood through you kind of beats that.

Support your local Templars. 

1 minute ago, Combat said:

Well, I'd say having your soul damned to Hell if someone does manage to put a piece of wood through you kind of beats that.

Support your local Templars. 

or if you get whipped to death... or decapitated... or stand in the sun (depending on who you ask it will either drain you of your power, kill you or worst of all make you sparkle...)

I'm going to have to be super basic and go with dragons. They're just consistently cool when in books/ games/ movies and they have a lot more variety than lots of other creatures. 

Also moved this to general discussion, as the quality of conversation has been of a high enough quality to justify it being out of the wasteland. 

Just now, mde2001 said:

I'm going to have to be super basic and go with dragons. They're just consistently cool when in books/ games/ movies and they have a lot more variety than lots of other creatures. 

Also moved this to general discussion, as the quality of conversation has been of a high enough quality to justify it being out of the wasteland. 

Thanks mde :)

12 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

or if you get whipped to death... or decapitated... or stand in the sun (depending on who you ask it will either drain you of your power, kill you or worst of all make you sparkle...)

When all else fails, just go with "What We Do In The Shadows" rules. (So stakes and sunlight being the best weapons against a vampire.) Crosses are pretty much used to keep a vampire away from you, but won't be able to kill them, and holy water just hurts them if used properly.

Honestly, vampires have so many weaknesses, it would make more sense to become a lich if you're seeking unholy immortality. 

(Man, this is giving me all sorts of ideas for my "How To Not Get Killed By Magical Creatures" blog.)

Personally I love the Castlevania Vampire weaknesses best. Holy stuff and decapitation mostly. But you can still be killed regularly. And when you're in the sun you don't just die, you just lose your Vampiric abilities

I'm going to have to go with a basic answers of vampires as well, mostly because of how many slightly (or sometimes bigger) different variations that stories/series/franchises feature (usually in regards to weaknesses and abilities).  They can be adapted many ways for interesting takes and work in all different settings.  Other reasons have already been covered by other respondents.

Dragons might be a close second, but there is much more species/type variation through different cultures, mythologies, and fantasy settings.....it's a little too broad of a category for me to use.  It was already hard enough deciding.

Edited by seki108