What do you guys think Lin's Hydreigon is going to be like?

AsNKrysis

Just some thoughts to ponder to those who weren't apart of the groups that got to test E17 already. Although I'm not sure if we'll even fight Lin and her Hydreigon in E17 (or I dunno if this topic has been made yet), what do you guys think it'll be like? I know Ame doesn't like to make things too easy for us (and by that, I mean she makes everything a literal Hell for us to play through), so obviously she would put in something for that Hydreigon to not be slaughtered by our Fairy Types. 

I personally think Ame created a field that negated Fairy Moves or negates all Super Effective Attacks on both sides. Or (even better or worse depending on how you look at it (for us players, it'd be worse)) maybe she'd even have a Mega Evolution for Lin's Hydreigon that'd make it OP as Hell and it's Mega Evolved Ability would be that it negates Fairy Attacks or all Super Effective Attacks. That would make sense for her to put in, and insanely difficult for us to take on. 

Anyway, what's your guys' thoughts about it?

There's not a lot of fast Fairy type Pokemon, and we're definitely not getting any Legendaries by the time we fight her.  Game mechanic wise, let's assume that Ame's A-Ninetales is Modest Nature.  It couldn't OHKO Hydregion, and the only way it would've lived is if it ran a SpDef Nature as well as perfect IVs and EVs on its HP and SpDef.  Unless A-Ninetales also had Choice Specs or Life Orb(or any item that will boost Moonblast).  Her Hydregion is fucking hacked.

I should also mention that they were on a Factory Field, and as far as I know, there's no downside for Fairy moves.

Edited by Slicster

Dead. My Gardevoir looks at it funny and it learns "Play Dead" in hopes that I don't notice it's still alive. and if it manages to beat my Gardevoir, I still have a Haxorus and a Fighting Type to go with it

1 hour ago, Slicster said:

There's not a lot of fast Fairy type Pokemon, and we're definitely not getting any Legendaries by the time we fight her.  Game mechanic wise, let's assume that Ame's A-Ninetales is Modest Nature.  It couldn't OHKO Hydregion, and the only way it would've lived is if it ran a SpDef Nature as well as perfect IVs and EVs on its HP and SpDef.  Unless A-Ninetales also had Choice Specs or Life Orb(or any item that will boost Moonblast).  Her Hydregion is fucking hacked.

I should also mention that they were on a Factory Field, and as far as I know, there's no downside for Fairy moves.

That was my original thought as well. But then, I thought that probably Lin's Hydreigon was just at a (very) higher level, so the "weakness" thing just didnt matter anymore...

• Veterans
1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

Dead. My Gardevoir looks at it funny and it learns "Play Dead" in hopes that I don't notice it's still alive. and if it manages to beat my Gardevoir, I still have a Haxorus and a Fighting Type to go with it

Js but we're probably fighting Lin and her Hydreigon on the New World field which exacerbates it's weighty speed advantage over both of those lol. Dark moves and Flash Cannon get boosted too, it's probs gunna one shot both tbh.

I don't see myself having too much trouble...Currently I'm planning to run with:

Starmie which has 31 speed I.V., 30 special attack I.V., and currently has Dazzling Gleam. I'm hoping to get either Ice Beam or Blizzard on it by the time we face Lin, but Dazzling Gleam works too since Hydreigon has a x4 weakness

Alakazam, which has similar I.V.s to starmie and also runs dazzling gleam

Gardevoir with a Moonblast

and finally

Chansey with Eviolite, Toxic, Soft Boiled, and Substitute.

And while I have plenty of other pokes to swap things out with, I suspect that Chansey will be able to outlast the Hydreigon, provided it isn't built to be a physical sweeper. Considering Hydreigon's stats, I suspect it will primarily be a special attacker though. Meaning Chansey shooould be able to tank most of it's attacks. Especially since I plan to hopefully toss out Starmie and Alakazan as single shot cannons. Considering Alakazam alone has a special attack that is well over 300 already and has a move that Hydreigon has a x4 weakness to I suspect I could do some damage. Not K.O. it, but weaken it.

40 minutes ago, sithlordnergal said:

I don't see myself having too much trouble...Currently I'm planning to run with:

Starmie which has 31 speed I.V., 30 special attack I.V., and currently has Dazzling Gleam. I'm hoping to get either Ice Beam or Blizzard on it by the time we face Lin, but Dazzling Gleam works too since Hydreigon has a x4 weakness

Alakazam, which has similar I.V.s to starmie and also runs dazzling gleam

Gardevoir with a Moonblast

and finally

Chansey with Eviolite, Toxic, Soft Boiled, and Substitute.

And while I have plenty of other pokes to swap things out with, I suspect that Chansey will be able to outlast the Hydreigon, provided it isn't built to be a physical sweeper. Considering Hydreigon's stats, I suspect it will primarily be a special attacker though. Meaning Chansey shooould be able to tank most of it's attacks. Especially since I plan to hopefully toss out Starmie and Alakazan as single shot cannons. Considering Alakazam alone has a special attack that is well over 300 already and has a move that Hydreigon has a x4 weakness to I suspect I could do some damage. Not K.O. it, but weaken it.

That's cool, you can take out her Hydreigon guaranteed that way. Just one question, what about the other 5 pokemon she's guaranteed to have?

Edit: this came out a bit rude, please read with sarcastic tone

Edited by pokemastercj1

3 minutes ago, pokemastercj1 said:

That's cool, you can take out her Hydreigon guaranteed that way. Just one question, what about the other 5 pokemon she's guaranteed to have?

Welp, since I don't expect Alakazam, Gardevoir, or Starmie to get off any more then one shot on Hydreigon, I can also use them in the rest of the battle. Only Chansey needs to be at full strength going in. I also have a Golem with Study and Stealth Rocks, an Arcanine with Sunny Day, Morning Sun, and Heatwave, and if need be I can swap either Alakazam or Gardevoir out for a Chlorophyll Venasaur to back up my Sunny Day Arcanine.

Like a peach, if its trainer is anything to go by. In all seriousness, I think there's three options for that Hydreigon:

1) It's a Hackmon with impossible stats;

2) It's gonna be fought in a Field that negates its weaknesses (maybe makes Dragon super effective against Fairy, considering in the old league Lin's type was Dragon);

3) It's gonna be a PULSE Pokemon with insane bulk, speed and special attack, good coverage (I'm thinking Draco Meteor + Earth Power + Fire Blast + Flash Cannon), and an OP ability (Contrary?)

I personally think it's gonna be 2 and 3. I'm actually more curious about what her other five Pokemon are going to be.

15 hours ago, Alistair said:

I like to think that Ame and Lin fought until they were both down to their respective signature mons, Hydreigon held on thanks to a Focus Sash, and proceeded to OHKO A-Ninetales with Flash Cannon.

We had the same thoughts, then - Lin's scary, no doubt, but I seriously doubt she wiped Ame's whole team with just that Hydreigon.

If we have access to Ice Beam/Blizzard TMs by then, I'm planing on using a Vaporeon. With Vaporeon's usually overlooked but very high Sp. Attack, excellent HP and great Sp. Defense, paired with Hydreigon's lack of any hard-hitting moves that are super effective against Water types [the only electric moves it would be able to learn that do damage are Charge Beam, Shock Wave, and Thunder Fang and I HIGHLY DOUBT Lin's Hydreigon is going to have any of them since they've pretty weak and it has a far better selection of moves to choose from]. Even if we don't have access to those moves by then, Vaporeon still has the move Aurora Beam, which might not be the most powerful move but it can still get the job done in a pinch [and has the possibility of lowering Attack, should this Hydreigon end up being a mixed attacker].

We know it has Flash Canon [and I don't think this'll change by the time we fight it], so Fairy and Ice types are going to be hit hard. Obvious choices for it's other moves would probably be hard-hitting Special Attacks like Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor, Focus Blast, Fire Blast/Heat Wave, Surf, or Earth Power. If it's moves are chosen to be more of a mixed attacker, which I don't think will be the case but it is a possibility, it'll probably have Outrage, Earthquake, or Head Smash. Checking it's moveset on Bulbapedia, we can say it won't know Dragon Dance - which I think we can all be grateful for.

I think it's a good idea to plan to face this both offensively and defensively, hence my choice of Vaporeon being my main counter. Should it not prove to be enough, I do have more offensive-centric counters [Espeon with Dazzling Gleam and Florges with Moon Blast] to finish the job, though if we DO end up getting access to either Ice Beam or Blizzard by then, I'm fairly certain Vaporeon will be able to do the job all by herself.

Edited by Kixur

• Global Mods

Ok i truly don't know what to think about all of this maybe i should get me a togekiss

*reading diffrent field effects*

Welp after reading i'm 75% sure that we will be fighting in new world field and it can only turn temprarily into starlight arena if gravity is used

And they both boost dark type moves but i think turning it into starlight will be better because the speed isn't halved unlike the new world

So my strat for lin's ace a mon with gravity(btw who learns gravity) then a fast fairy type (i'm probably gonna follow ame's footsteps and get a femal alolan ninetales named ame) and voila

You know i said before that no gym leader is hard for me (exept shelly charlott and ciel) i played reborn for a long time but just joined the forum this year and for the upcoming gym leaders i think that they will be not that hard but so hard knowing ame is a master of teambuilding but from right now until i battle lin i can't wait to get my ass kicked (sorry i got out of context a bit)

I personally think Lin's Hydreigon just has stat inflation. It's not uncommon for fangames to help make a Pokemon better via stat inflation. I know for a fact that Hardcore massively buffed Adrienn via stat inflation. It's probably like 100/95/90/130/150/98

Edited by Sceptilespy