Burning Spirits: An Omega Ruby Blind Playthrough (COMPLETED)

Filthy Casual

Recently, I played through my first experience of Generation 7 through Ultra Moon. I enjoyed every bit of that game. However, that made me realize that I also missed out on Generation 6. While looking for the games, I also began to reminisce about Generation 3, my favorite generation. As such, I decided now was the best time to play through Omega Ruby for the first time. Ruby was the version exclusive I played when I was a child, and I wanted to share my experiences with all of you, both positive and negative. Without further ado, let's begin!

Chapter 1: My Nostalgia!

Starting off, we are hit up with something I never expected Gamefreak to do:

pQicQZf.png

HOLY SHIT! THAT NOSTALGIA!

If that wasn't enough, however, the game decided to do something even more incredible:

kN6D57c.png

mFzvzKv.png

I adore this so much! It's showing off both the old and the new! Still, we had to select our name. As such...

rm5kJcm.png

With our name selected, we eventually arrived in Littleroot Town, where it really started to hit me that I was revisiting my childhood.

vnEFAQo.png

I cannot begin to tell you how impressed I am so far. These models allow for much more personality than the original generation 3 sprites. For example, take a look at May here:

fqBAz3k.png

WOHJQDa.png

May has always been one of the weakest rivals in the series, but it's nice to see that technology has given her a more clear and optimistic personality (at least so far). In my opinion, we take these little details for granted, but they really enhance the experience of the game. Even the Birch encounter shows this:

9cxJOrN.png

They even got Poochyena back!

Now, Generation three had one of the strongest set of starters (in my opinion). I have not met one person that despises one of them (maybe dislikes, but not despises). When I was a child, my town was split up between two sides: Treecko, or Torchic. Everyone wanted to use the cool Sceptile or the tough Blaziken. However, out of everyone in my town (and trust me, I checked), I was the one to choose this starter...

HcIQvfr.png

Mudkip, and by extension, Swampert, will always hold a special place in my heart because of this. As such, there's no way I can't pick him! Let's meet our first member of the team, Achilles!

HcJIErg.png

He's even Docile! Not great, but definitely not bad for an in game run.

After receiving our starter, the professor told us to meet up with his daughter on route 3 for some advice. As such, next time, we'll be doing just that!

Edited by Filthy Casual

Chapter 2: The Adventure Begins

As we tried to begin our adventure, we were stopped, being told that footprints possibly belonging to a legendary Pokemon were being examined. We decided to head upward, where we found none other than May.

ed4v6na.png

As she was investigating, we...

...wait a minute...

Agntk9p.png

THAT'S THE POND FROM THE INTRO SEQUENCE!

It's so cool they would even include that small detail! I'm really impressed so far! Regardless, as May saw us, she challenged us to a battle!

Spoiler

s9jSYvu.png

o2FKs8z.png

Needless to say, Achilles is able to use his bulk to outlast Treecko.

ZUorO15.png

They have so much personality in this game!

Eventually, the two of us decided to head back to professor Birch, where he gave us some Pokeballs and a Pokedex to start off our adventure. Indeed, it was time to-

76mIyZ4.png

DAMN IT, MAY!

jX8DUYh.png

ksfFdW1.png

The PokeNav in this game seems to double as a map and a Pokemon locator. It's a fun little option for the game. In fact, another fun option this game includes is creeping!

6RfCZ82.png

The Pokemon you can find via this method seem to have egg moves, as well! As such, we have a new member to our team. Say hello to Dusk the Poochyena!

G4ZwFyd.png

We eventually made our way over to Petalburg, where we found our father, Norman, the normal gym leader. I see what you did there Gamefreak

wjKj6ue.png

He told us that if we put our minds to it, we would be able to eventually even defeat him. As we were talking, however, we were introduced to another new character:

fYSyfXC.png

Funny enough, Wally seems to have his own theme this time. He's relatively unchanged from Emerald so far, though. In fact, the adventure continued to be similar, right until we made it into Petalburg woods, where we encountered an unusual figure.

EJIOdRq.png

This grunt was a member of the superior Team Magma, a group dedicated to expanding the land mass. After quickly repelling him, the scientist seemed grateful.

DkJn4Aa.png

Indeed, he decided to give us a Great Ball for our-

uIACk35.png

...that's not a Great Ball...

...I never played X and Y, but from what I heard, the EXP Share broke the game completely. Having played UM recently, the EXP Share was really good, but the game was designed with that EXP Share in mind, with trainers having appropriately leveled Pokemon (for the most part).

Afterwards, we quickly left the woods, where we were treated to an interesting cutscene...

cBlh0P2.png

Clearly this grunt is going to be important. I'm not sure why, but only time will tell.

Regardless, we spent the next few minutes catching some more Pokemon!

Spoiler

rvyXN96.png

au7WJlc.png

In my opinion, as an in game bug, Dustox is extremely underrated. She'll be a good asset to the team (at least until we box her).

With our new team members with us, we made it to Rustboro City, where-

XDP6OsB.png

DAMN IT MAY, STOP INTERRUPTING ME!

Seriously, though, she tells us that there's a gym in Rustboro we should challenge. Honestly, I think this is pointless, as Norman told us the same thing, but that's just a personal preference.

We eventually made inside the gym, where we were greeted by none other than Roxanne!

N2FOhwY.png

This is a nice touch. It adds a bit more to her character, as she seems to be more invested in the trainers who challenge her. Granted, it's extremely minimal, but I appreciate the effort. Regardless, it was time for a fight!

Spoiler

7fyALlx.png

pSWFqi0.png

The battle begins with Achilles easily handling Geodude.

tyzaYms.png

Scout gets up a few Sand Attacks. Eventually, he is switched out for Achilles.

hCDbv7r.png

Achilles decides to...

...to...

YUHK9Yw.png

...okay, this is adorable! I love the Mudkip line so much!

Regardless, with Nosepass's accuracy greatly decreased, Achilles easily finishes it off with Water Gun.

6i4YlD7.png

Easy.

With our victory, we decided to head out to heal, only to notice the Team Magma grunt back to his old tricks!

OsSpR9L.png

Next time, we're going to stop him!

Current Team

Spoiler

KnPXrUW.png

5 minutes ago, DreamblitzX said:

If this is truly blind, I can't wait to see your reaction to some of the later stuff (esp. the postgame) because some of that was just so awesome to see after playing the originals

I played R/S/E, so I have a general idea about what's going to happen. Having said that, I don't know about the postgame, or any changes. I've been told that Wally's character was more fleshed out, and that there's a Delta Episode. Showdown has also taught me about how dangerous Mega Rayquaza can be, so I expect him to show up. Still, Generation 3 is my favorite generation of all time, so this will be a fun experience.

Also wanted to do a UM play through, but when I got it, I was so hooked that I immediately beat it, lol

Edited by Filthy Casual

6 hours ago, Filthy Casual said:

Now, Generation three had one of the strongest set of starters (in my opinion). I have not met one person that despises one of them (maybe dislikes, but not despises).

Meet me! :) I despise Blaziken. I adore Torchik and Combusken, but Blaziken was a huge disappointment to me... It looks terribadtastic, as Julia would say.

Good luck in your run (even though you won't need luck for a canon Pokemon game run ;))

Have fun!

Chapter 3: Brawly the Rag Doll

Before we decided to chase after the Team Magma grunt, we still had a few things to do.

Spoiler

First, we received the Quick Claw, as well as Cut (which isn't technically needed at all to beat the game).

bZ80Etp.png

uW7IPOO.png

Next, we went ahead and captured some new Pokemon.

byk5PyD.png

"LIVIN' ON THE EDGE!"

zFC7hcO.png

Keemstar's eventually going to be FAST AS FUCK BOI!

Finally, while training, we even got some evolutions!

y72TGIr.png

ZiIbMr6.png

Poor Marshtomp. He's my favorite middle evolution because of his happy but derpy sprite in RSE, but here, he just looks lost.

Eventually, we caught up to the grunt, who was even holding a Wingull hostage. Luckily, we called his bluff, and continuously pursued him. Needless to say, he wasn't too pleased.

xJCMLMu.png

After a quick decimation of his Poochyena, we were invited to the office of the Devon Headquarters, where the president wanted to talk to us...

H9vQ4VX.png

...is that a TPP reference with that painting? If so, I'm not sure how to feel about that...

...regardless, he gave us an important task: deliver a letter to his son, Steven Stone. How did we know it was important? Simple: highlighted blue text.

LX0TBNQ.png

With that done, we decided to head down to Mr. Briney's house, allowing us to travel across the ocean to Dewford Town. While there, we found a gym, where none other than the fighting type leader was waiting for us.

glPIV2o.png

It was time for a battle!

Spoiler

hiid8UU.png

WNVCteI.png

The battle begins with Aero Smith 2HKOing Machop with Wing Attack. Aero Smith survives the Karate Chop from Machop.

onaDlQ5.png

Here, Aero Smith predicts the Bulk Up, going for Focus Energy. One critical Wing Attack finishes the job.

liwvT32.png

You know, I always thought Brawly was quite underwhelming.

With his defeat, Brawly told us to head to the nearby cave, where Steven was located. Just like in RSE, it would be a long trip, filled with exotic Pokemon, as well as...

3VhHPpv.png

...or it's just over immediately. That works, too...

...anyway, the man introduced himself as Steven Stone. He decided to thank us by giving us the TM to his favorite move. Having played RSE, I know his ace is Metagross. That logically means his favorite move is Meteor Ma-

pxOSQt9.png

...Steel Wing?!

I mean, I get why they had him say that was his favorite move. Still, Meteor Mash is just a much better version of Steel Wing. Perhaps next time, have him say it's one of his favorite moves?

Regardless, next time, we'll be delivering the Devon Parts to the captain!

Current Team

Spoiler

SXfUV0k.png

I boxed Dusk the Poochyena so I could register Shedinja to the dex.

Edited by Filthy Casual

Chapter 4: Contest "Spectacular"

After we made our way to the next town, we decided to spend some time looking for our next team member. As such, we ran across an awesome addition to the squad...

Spoiler

Raff the Oddish!

pGHI0hI.png

Fun fact: Vileplume is my second favorite Pokemon of all time, right behind Swampert. He'll make an excellent addition to the team!

Having said that, while I have a general idea on what I want to catch, I'd still love some tips from each of you: what Pokemon do you think would benefit my team the most? While I have a general idea, that's all it is: a general idea. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

After catching our next team member, we decided to deliver the Devon Goods. As we did that, however, we ran into some trouble...

80qd0AA.png

Fortunately, Aero Smith (Taillow) and Achilles (Marshtomp) were more than enough to dispatch the "threats". As we did that, however, we instead ran into someone much more severe...

KTG5K1g.png

This is a weird design, but it's not too bad. I kind of prefer Maxie's design from RSE, but this is still good.

Regardless, Maxie went on to explain how he wants to expand the landmass so humans can thrive. Before he left, he warned us that he wouldn't be so lenient if we ran into him again. After being thanked for our help, we were allowed to move on to the next town...

...is what I would like to say if we weren't stopped.

5IQl1YE.png

I don't know who you are, but I hate you already.

Seriously, though, this is Lisia, the person who introduces the player to contests. She's...

...well...

ca2ECL1.png

...she belongs in an anime, not a Pokemon game, to be honest. She feels VERY out of place here.

As you saw above, she said she was scouting for a brand new person to participate in-

-oh, who am I kidding? She's clearly going to choose me.

vNFWYNt.png

What makes her even worse is that she gives moments "chapters". Just pay attention to the MC's face, and that's pretty much me at this point.

AJJiJve.png

i5HJvWA.png

Just...

Still, Lisia told us to participate in the contests. With our newest member, we decided to participate in the clever contest!

Spoiler

t2SN7Ld.png

THAT CONTEST WAS BRUTAL!

The biggest challenge by far was Nincada! Leech Life can potentially be game changing in a contest such as this. Luckily, Raff (Oddish) was able to pull out the victory with a well placed Absorb.

PPiVtPF.png

We even received a cool reward with our victory!

GWJsvZe.png

This is a cool concept! Still, I'm never going to use it, because Pikachu by itself is pretty bad (even with the Light Orb, it's defenses aren't too spectacular).

With that completed, we were finally able to head over to the next:

puLoGcn.png

OF COURSE!

Spoiler

vUyEuLW.png

vp33BSc.png

The battle begins with Aero Smith switching out for Achilles (Marshtomp).

Sf2t4Uy.png

Achilles decimates with Mud Shot.

L83h7Bv.png

Aero Smith is able to outlast and KO Grovyle with Wing Attack.

FYtXe7e.png

Raff is able to KO the Wailmer after putting it to sleep with Sleep Powder. Wailmer goes down to Absorb.

jSF54Nc.png

With that out of the way, May was at least kind enough to give us the Itemfinder. Next time, we'll be heading to Mauville City!

Current Team

Spoiler

2d1XmXv.png

Edited by Filthy Casual

• Global Mods
3 hours ago, Filthy Casual said:

...Steel Wing?!

I mean, I get why they had him say that was his favorite move. Still, Meteor Mash is just a much better version of Steel Wing. Perhaps next time, have him say it's one of his favorite moves?

Maybe it was supposed to mean his favourite move that there's actually a TM for.

and yea Lisia always felt pretty out-of-place for me too, especially as Winona already exists for a girl with an Altaria ace. (honestly I forgot she existed til this post, It's been a while)

Also stoic protagonist faces are just glorious at so many moments.

Chapter 5: A Little Too Faithful

After our fight with May, we made our way to Mauville City. If I'm honest, this was one of my least remarkable areas in Hoenn. It looks no different from any other town in the-

z9pB7pY.png

...WHAT?!

Apparently, Mauville is not a literal mall! I'm not sure how to feel about this, but so far, this place stands out more than any other in the region. We even got to run into Wally, who wanted to challenge the gym. His Uncle, however, didn't didn't think he was ready. As such, Wally had a favor to ask of us...

RlRYZtj.png

8AWAumr.png

Indeed, it was time for a fight!

Spoiler

RGGrItW.png

...wait, you only have one Pokemon?

2zf8xCI.png

...did you train that Ralts by itself?!

I'm not even mad! Ralts only gets Growl when you catch it, and there are no rare candies around. I even checked the moveset, and it's only made up of level up moves. This means Wally had to have used enough Potions to counteract Ralts's Struggle while opponents ended up fainting. It's super inefficient, but extremely impressive he was able to get some moves off of that!

Regardless, Scout is easily able to KO the Ralts.

fKLidfL.png

Say what you want about Wally, but he's a better trainer than you may think!

After his defeat, Wally wouldn't let his low spirits keep him down. In fact, he had a favor to ask of us:

uUGS6G6.png

UsEDFim.png

Wally's the most precious thing in this game by far!

The uncle, however, was quite thankful for our battle. He decided to thank us with a new move!

YEuPdm9.png

This was probably necessary, as it would have been harder to find the guy who gives out Rock Smash in this city.

With that done, we could challenge the gym. Achilles (Marshtomp) was handle business, allowing for another evolution!

Spoiler

PDXK4Ks.png

"I'M FAST AS FUCK, BOI!"

That's not all, however! Because we only had five Pokemon in our party, we received another member!

TaPtOKE.png

I'd love to hear any potential nicknames!

With all of the trainers defeated, it was time to face our next challenge...

...sitting through a dramatic intro cutscene.

GeYwjU6.png

Every gym leader so far has had one of these where the camera slowly pans on them, attempting them to make their entrance more dramatic. It's a bit too anime-esque for my taste. Regardless, the gym leader, Wattson, seemed excited to fight us.

eE1DyQO.png

Indeed, it was time to battle!

Spoiler

rKYP2lU.png

The battle begins with-

cB5KOA6.png

Um...

6MGjJ3a.png

You know that I-

qGEmUJN.png

Dq757mU.jpg

jQHLEnn.png

You know, so far, this game has been a bit too faithful with the original teams. One of the charms of Emerald is that the teams each gym leader had made more sense. For example, Wattson had a Manectric in Emerald. His Voltorb also had Sonicboom to deal damage on any Marshtomp trainers decided to bring in. I'm honestly missing those teams right now.

With our victory, we are now able to use Rock Smash outside of battle! Next time, we'll be heading over to the next town!

Current Team

Spoiler

Tke5NnI.png

Edited by Filthy Casual

Chapter 6: "How Do You Do, Fellow Kids?"

After our victory, we decided to visit Wally in Verdanturf town in order to pick up the HM for Strength. However, when along the way, we discovered something really incredible...

Spoiler

...something not from gen 3!

mvAewQk.png

This is the point of the game when I've realized I'm playing a full on remake. This trainer used to have Roselia. I'm wondering if the Hoenn dex has been updated accordingly. I'll have to check it later when I have the chance.

Still, after the defeat, we got some cool evolutions!

rod7LOR.png

QbQrgAp.png

When we made it into the town, we discovered-

Kb1YCvm.png

hwgpT8T.png

...no Strength?

I'm grateful for the Mega Stones, but I'm kind of sad they moved it. Where is it, you may ask? Well...

Jih08c6.png

...let's be honest. They did it to give your "rival" more significance. Still, as we were traveling, we received another cool evolution!

Spoiler

LqLsllb.png

With our new evolution, we were able to continue on to the next-

58XmkWC.png

...it's been less than five seconds, and I already hate you more than Lisia.

Seriously, though, this guy was the one who would give us the TM for Secret Power. He...

b9v4GhJ.png

...seems to be that guy who's only there to seem "hip" for the kids...

znPmayV.png

...wait a minute...

9b7ySx5.png

Secret Bases in RSE were awesome, but they were definitely not "romantic"!

SKytFzc.png

Okay, I know that the audience who some of the newer features/additions to Pokemon are marketed towards younger players, but this is just cringy. I really dislike this guy! Thankfully, the base feature itself seems to have been completely revamped! We can now add other trainers into the base! As such, I've decided to share my secret base with all of you!

5rEoE5x.png

Come on down and stop by if you have the chance.

Next time, we'll not only be heading to the next town, but also catching our next team member!

Current Team

Spoiler

mKGn4lF.png

Chapter 7: Mad Maxie: Beyond Lavadome

After our quick pitstop at our secret base, we continued onward to the next town. While there, we decided to heal our team, only to find a new friend!

9g7GyUL.png

Lanette happened to be the person who managed the PC in Hoenn! She would eventually give us a Seedot doll for us to decorate our base. Unfortunately for us, however, trouble was waiting for us.

S2xifZt.png

The professor of the town, Cozma, was kidnapped by Team Magma in order to search for a Meteorite. Without hesitation, we ran to stop their plans! Along the way, we even found a couple new team members!

Spoiler

vBmHSyg.png

Bt2mxKi.png

Cirrus is definitely going to be my third official team member. I've always wanted to use a Mega Altaria, and her unique typing when it mega evolves will be a great asset to the team. I already have used a Zangoose in Spork, so this will be a replacement HM slave for Scout (Linoone).

After catching our new team member, we made our way to Meteor Falls. As we arrived, we ran into one of the admins, Tabitha, who...

hB1LNZM.png

...has a really cool redesign! Despite this, Tabitha was quick to challenge us to a fight! It was time to battle...

Spoiler

...and with May, no less! This wasn't in the original!

Gblyl7e.png

7QSXCMx.png

The battle begins with Koffing going for Self Destruct. Achilles takes it like a champion, but Slugma goes down. He's able to get up a Rock Slide on Mightyena.

0sP4fRL.png

Mightyena can only hope to get some chip damage with Snarl.

swefU6C.png

lol

eUGomm4.png

I LOVE THAT REDESIGN OF TABITHA! He looks like he has a real personality now instead of that crazed sprite before!

With our victory, we were ready to take back the Meteor. However, that's when things got truly interesting.

AOfcLG8.png

Don't tell me...

yYwZpUJ.png

OH MY GOD ARCHIE AND TEAM AQUA LOOK SO COOL!

So much care went into these sprites! In fact, as I'm typing this sentence, I also notice that he has a mega ring placed into his anchor! With Archie at our side, in addition to us fainting their Pokemon, there was no victory in sight for Tabitha! We had finally...

psUnneA.png

...let him walk away...

Fortunately, Archie told us that they would be heading up to Mount Chimney. We quickly ran off, ready to fight everyone on the top of the mountain!

bAetPta.png

Two things about this:

1) This is such a cool setting for a battle! Now that Hoenn has a day/night system, fighting on top of a volcano at night is really neat!

2) Archie only has a Poochyena. It was stupid then, and it's still stupid now.

Regardless, we were able to breeze through the grunts thanks to the power of Achilles (Marshtomp). However, we still had to defeat Tabitha once more before we could face the boss.

ikdkezh.png

Spoiler alert: the battle only lasted two turns.

WNZbvBy.png

Maxie wasn't too happy to see us. He explained to us that with the power of the Meteorite, they would create either a mega stone or a keystone for...

...well, he stopped before he spoiled us of the surprise. This is really cool, however! They changed their motives to match the gen 6 lore of Megas! Of course, Maxie wasn't going to let our optimism stand unchecked.

RFHGa4l.png

Okay, Maxie. Send out your Zubat so I can-

ksUWe3T.png

...wait, did you just say "The time for the purge has come"?

veVCd23.png

jUhRKLa.png

Why does this suddenly feel so serious?

fSQjkdn.png

...he's really serious, isn't he?

Spoiler

bfb10xd.png

You can't see it from where it is, but HE HAS A MEGA STONE IN HIS GLASSES! That's so cool! Honestly, if any boss should get the power to mega evolve their Pokemon, it's Archie and Maxie, as they're both misguided idiots with good intentions.

0xHb3qH.png

The battle begins with Raff putting Mightyena to sleep with Sleep Powder. Raff almost KOs with Mega Drain before he is switched out due to Roar.

Lp11SFw.png

Cirrus tanks an Assurance before Mightyena goes down to an Echoed Voice.

GTegO0m.png

Achilles is easily able to handle Camerupt with Water Gun.

eGQeBuT.png

...oh, shit! This really is his Ruby team! In Emerald, that Golbat was a lowly Zubat! This fight is actually harder than the originals!

In fact, the Golbat puts up a good fight by hitting Achilles with Confuse Ray. While it almost takes him out, Achilles is able to pull through and KO with Rock Slide.

n4w9MeI.png

Obviously, it didn't catch the whole animation, but I love how shocked Maxie looks when you beat him before he composes himself! This game is really charming!

Of course, like in the originals, Maxie wasn't happy to have been defeated by a child.

EUSAnRy.png

...wait, why are you smiling?

eeMiajd.png

...wait, you weren't trying?

VlkKkZf.png

Oh, shit, he's actually going to use the Mega Camerupt!

...or we're led to believe that at first. In fact, as he was about to revive his ace, he received a call from one of his grunts. Apparently, the orb that could match Mega Evolution was at a place called Mount Pyre. As such...

...well, you can tell us, Maxie.

xCoHPZQ.png

I like how Maxie implies he wasn't trying. We know that this game is easy, and that he sucks, but to a younger player, this could be cool! Unfortunately, Archie didn't seem to share that same enthusiasm once he realize Maxie's next destination.

XJDPphu.png

xeHZbSV.png

I really want to see what Maxie says in Alpha Sapphire! Archie seems much more personable, while Maxie seems more calculated!

Next time, we'll be heading to Lavaridge to get our next badge from Flannery!

Current Team

Spoiler

dStY3kG.png

Edited by Filthy Casual

Chapter 8: Snuffed Out

After our battle with Maxie, we decided to head down to the next town, a small town named Lavaridge. While exploring, we ran into a village elder, who gave us this:

obysxQz.png

If it's still the same, the egg is going to be a Wynaut. Who knows, I might use it. Wobbuffet is my all time favorite psychic type, and I only have an idea about four team members out of six. I could seriously use some ideas.

Regardless, we decided to head into the gym, run by a fire type user named Flannery.

dgyHwDv.png

Now I remember that Flannery's character is supposed to be timid, as this is her first time in a battle. So far, I don't see-

CsaDMWB.png

-and there it is!

feu0NeU.png

Despite her clear nerves, she was determined to take us on. It was time for a battle!

Spoiler

bDjpi8s.png

GX1wJhR.png

The battle begins with Slugma setting up the Sunny Day and Light Screen. Cirrus begins to build up Echoed Voices. However, Slugma is able to get off an Overheat. Luckily, Cirrus tanks the hit, KOing with Echoed Voice.

qvv1zzS.png

I make a boneheaded play by sending in Raff to try and hit the Sleep Powder. Poor Raff is sent to the Shadow Realm. However, both the Light Screen and sun run out.

c1R8H6D.png

Achilles dominates with Mud Bomb.

PdZnrbP.png

The poor Numel doesn't stand a chance.

nlIo1cB.png

I mean, you killed the grass type. That's got to be worth something...

...I should also take this time to mention how awesome these remixes are! I'm not a fan of some of the slower paced themes, like the Archie/Maxie fight, and I wish the rival theme was a bit more fast paced, but these are still great remixes. Also, the Aqua/Magma grunt remix more than makes up for it!

With her defeat, we were ready to make it to the next town. However, we were instead met up with a familiar face!

qo6BTp1.png

May offered us to take us to the next gym leader. Of course, we accepted the offer, only to realize we had to face Norman for our next badge. It was right then that it hit me...

...he's got two Slakings, doesn't he?

Next time, we'll be taking on Norman for the next badge!

Current Team

Spoiler

AO7fhXJ.png

Chapter 9: A Change of Norm

With her defeat, we decided to head down to Petalburg, where our father was waiting for us. This provided us a decent opportunity to train Cirrus (Swablu), who desperately needs it at this point. After the battles, however, we still had to face off against our father, who had been waiting for us.

w5YrZbc.png

Don't lie to me, Dad! You were napping before I got here!

aKjx8jA.png

Indeed, it was time for an intense battle!

Spoiler

urw7Chl.png

The battle begins with...

5m6jMfs.png

...oh, no...

Needless to say, Keemstar gets hit by a Content Cop Retaliate. He doesn't stand a change.

u9KdCFZ.png

Raff is able to paralyze Slaking with a Stun Spore. During Truant, Raff uses Acid to weaken Slaking. Mega Drain is able to take out the threat while providing a bit of insurance.

XeY06kF.png

Aero Smith sets up the Focus Energy before 2HKOing with 2 critical Aerial Aces.

ywaCH7P.png

Aero Smith gets off some good damage with Aerial Ace, but Slaking dominates with Retaliates.

1rCVb2v.png

Achilles had recently learned protect. As you can imagine, Slaking gets walled at this point.

s7s8M6E.png

While he congratulates us afterwards, you know deep down, he's thinking "That's some bullshit!"

With our win, Norman decides to reward us with the next badge. However, that doesn't stop him from telling us this:

nShHsw7.png

ewbm9vl.png

I really like that line. We don't get another literal father figure who has a physical presence in the game for the entire series, so it's kind of touching to see your father so proud that you surpassed him. In fact, he even offered to see us out, until we ran into Wally once more!

X7YqwiB.png

Wally was not only traveling around the region, but he was doing it with his own father, no less! I didn't mention this, but according to the statues, Wally actually beat Norman before we did! Of course, Gardevoir is quite strong, but he also has a Delcatty and Roselia on his team, so props to him for making that work! In fact, his father seemed really excited about Wally's state of being after his win!

rBUA1YQ.png

They keep really stressing Wally's health in this game. Does anyone know what's going on with Wally? They make it sound like he's dying from his lack of health. I'm happy it's getting expanded on, but damn! Funny enough, he even gave us a reward for helping his son!

9v017yA.png

YES! ACHILLES (Marshtomp) HAS A MOVE OTHER THAN WATER GUN!

As we were leaving, however, we were treated to this little gem...

Spoiler

vUexXzY.png

t1SR6wn.png

Oh? This wasn't in the originals.

AjMUlsq.png

UPRM7E4.png

I like that they took the time to restate this line. It really confirms to the player (even if it's mainly a younger one) that he's proud of the player surpassing their father, rather than sad he has to accept a loss from his own son.

GYMGYyh.png

DKcmmln.png

ReTD82L.png

On a side note: I appreciate how no one has said "Fufufufu" as laughter in this game yet. I know what it sounds like, but I never thought it was natural.

jo0fCuE.png

Bcgqz0H.png

vfqVkII.png

...wait, is this illness serious?! Why did the tone suddenly shift so much?!

0h52erZ.png

What do you mean you know "exactly what you mean"?! Are we sick, too?! Is that why you're letting us on this adventure?!

After that nice cutscene, we spent a bit of time exploring the region. I decided to take the liberty to pick up the TM for Sludge Bomb. Needless to say, Raff (Gloom) no longer knows that move. I also got curious, and looked up how to get the Lucky Egg. Apparently, you find them from wild Pelliper. I picked up Scout (Linoone) again and taught him Thief. Luckily, we got the Lucky Egg, so now, we'll be able to train up Cirrus (Swablu).

Next time, we'll be heading out to Fortree City to pick up our next badge!

Current Team

Spoiler

UAnxxSe.png

Chapter 10: Ascension

This is going to be the last update for a bit. With the Thanksgiving season coming up, I'm going to be with my family. Fortunately, this episode is quite eventful.

After our triumphant victory over our father, we continued onward towards Fortree City, the home of the next gym leader. Along the way, however, we were stopped by none other than Steven himself!

C2oabiL.png

In the originals, this cutscene was pointless. All he does is ask you what kind of trainer you are and leaves. I mean, if you're going to do that, you'd better-

fOKaO7g.png

...wait, what?

KT4WN0M.png

What?!

IG7fNJ9.png

WHAT?!

ZPinzuL.png

SERIOUSLY, WHAT?!

LSA73hL.png

WHAT?! WHEN?! WHY?! I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Needless to say, this caught me off guard completely! None of this is in the originals, and it's nice to see that more plot significance was added to the cutscene, but damn. Do we even know where we are?

t0Viy9l.png

pUEp0KB.png

Two? But only Latias brought us...

...it's Southern Island, isn't it?

d0olRnw.png

THERE IT IS!

This is really cool, but it's so weird to see this island not locked behind an event.

dMylHeT.png

Also, Steven, isn't half of your team part rock type?

Before we could question him any more, we were interrupted by more guests. However, these guests were anything but welcomed.

saU5mp9.png

The mysterious purple haired girl named Courtney explained they only came for Latios and it's mega stone. We weren't allowed to let that happen. After all, we were here to capture Latios! Steven himself even decided to help us!

tigNYmv.png

With his help, it was time to...

...to...

krjyuPG.png

...I'm sorry, excuse me?

Spoiler

RDHz4jr.png

tXe5cwG.png

The battle begins with Achilles going for Surf, taking down Camerupt. Metang takes out the Koffing with Zen Headbutt.

dp93fSE.png

SERIOUSLY, WHAT?!

After that "intense" battle, Courtney vowed that she would remember us.

DwDQBBi.png

Seriously, why is she a robot now?!

However, that wasn't all! Latios decided to recognize our skill as a trainer, joining our team!

KKtNI8t.png

There was only one name we could give him...

Spoiler

dtaflzE.png

If I wasn't planning on using Altaria, Deltos would definitely be on the team. As it is, however, he's going to get boxed as soon as we catch our next team member.

As it turns out, however, our newest member was holding on to a Latiosite. This only meant one thing...

2Ntq83g.png

...as soon as we get the Swampertite, we will have won the game.

Regardless, we still had a lot of traveling to do. Along the way, we even got a new evolution!

Spoiler

jYDyT0i.png

I'M SO FUCKING HAPPY!

Eventually, we ran upon a weather institute. Upon exploring, we discovered that Team Magma had taken the workers hostage there. We even saw Tabitha was the admin running the operation. However, he seemed more distraught than usual.

D2qeUFl.png

jhYSa3e.png

We decided to confront him, wanting to know what was the problem. This unfortunately seemed to make his anxiety worse.

C8XxrS6.png

VhC7Tz9.png

...wait, this is your private life? You take labs hostage for fun? That's pretty sad, man.

Despite his claims, he was determined to defeat us.

ZfbwEiW.png

ZTu137p.png

Spoiler alert: the battle lasted one turn.

SGm5vBb.png

For repelling off Team Magma, we were rewarded with a new Pokemon!

Spoiler

ToUU8G5.png

With that out of the way, we only had to travel to the next-

7IGiflR.png

DAMNIT MAY!

Spoiler

CN7dE2K.png

LEAVE

Bb4hqiU.png

ME

ve9BLYV.png

ALONE!

Despite the annoyance, May was kind enough to give us another HM!

XR8WfW7.png

That wasn't all, however! We did some training, and even got some new evolutions!

Spoiler

BqSl0L4.png

iUs2I6b.png

Next time, we'll be exploring Fortree, as well as taking on Winona for our sixth badge!

Current Team

Spoiler

j1fRx4h.png

UPDATE

I got bored, so I decided to quickly look for my fourth team member. I lucked out big time! Say hello to the fourth member of the squad...

Spoiler

Apophis the Absol!

XZWLNwq.png

Not only did this thing come with Play Rough AND the Life Orb, but it's also Adamant! I couldn't ask for anything better!

Edited by Filthy Casual
Edited to add newest team member found

• Global Mods

That's a nice Absol! also good to see Cirrus trained up and ready for the line of duty. 

As for Wally's health, with the talk of Verdenturfs clean air, I always got the impression he had serious asthma or something.

Chapter 11: ACHILLES STRONK

Hello everyone! Hope everyone had an awesome Thanksgiving season! Mine was filled with friends and family back at my home town. However, now that that's over, and I'm back from a long flight, it's time to continue with the Omega Ruby play through!

After briefly catching our fourth team member (who you can see from the last part), we continued onward to find none other than Steven Stone himself!

q6h5Nr4.png

Steven decided to test our potential as a trainer, wanting to see how our team would react to "adversity". I put that in HUGE quotes because his idea of "adversity" is slightly ridiculous...

OD27f5c.png

Yes, Steven, the Kecleon is SO scary. Especially when it doesn't even have a STAB move. You'd better give me something good for babying me like this...

O5es1js.png

OKAY, WE'RE COOL! I'M SO FUCKING HAPPY RIGHT NOW!

In all seriousness, it's so awesome to see the Swampertite! Believe it or not, Swampert's not going to be the main mega on the team, but it's nice to say I have one. Steven, on the other hand, seemed more interested in something else...

x3YJYsa.png

fxxtVCa.png

Are they actually giving the Meteorite a purpose other than "exchange for a TM"? I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Regardless of any potential plot points, we still had one job to do: to defeat the most pointless gym leader in Hoenn!

1J6q910.png

Seriously, though, she barely has a reason to be there! Even Brawly has speculation that he's related to Hala! Wattson is important for a side quest allowing you to get Thunderbolt. Winona just says "Oh, I'm a flying leader, and therefore I'm elegant, want to fight?" She only shows up for this, never to be seen again. As such, it was time for a fight!

Spoiler

V92SFaM.png

tMHKBzn.png

The battle begins with my inner child crying out in joy as I click that nice Mega Evolution button.

VOle4i0.png

TiJb8mP.png

LOOK AT HOW FUCKING AWESOME HE IS! Still wish that Swampert's cry was more menacing than it is now (gen 6 kind of nerfed his cry in my opinion), but hey, you take the good with the bad. Speaking of which, Achilles misses the first Rock Slide because of Double Team, but dominates on the second.

zm8WlFp.png

Achilles lands the Rock Slide, almost KOing. Altaria sets up the Cotton Guard. Not wanting to put up with such nonsense after the second one does nowhere near as much, Achilles is switched out with Cirrus (Altaria).

y1Q1LRC.png

Dragon Breath is easily able to handle Winona's Altaria, who now can't hit with Earthquake.

8Pwm8BE.png

Achilles flinches Skarmory with Rock Slide, only to finish it off with Surf next turn.

k3ShFDe.png

Protect can't save Pelliper from Achilles's wrath.

DwePIkI.png

STRONK

With our victory, we are now ready to head out to the next town! Next time, we'll not only be making our way down, but also potentially catching our fifth team member (if it's still where I think it is)!

Current Team

Spoiler

KK3O5g0.png

5 hours ago, Filthy Casual said:

Still wish that Swampert's cry was more menacing than it is now (gen 6 kind of nerfed his cry in my opinion)

Honestly, that's the case with most of the new remastered cries. They sound like a muddled mess, and in some cases you can barely hear the old cry in the new one. Wish they kept them as they were :/

Also, funnily enough, I have also started playing Omega Ruby for the first time recently (not exactly blind though, I have already been spoiled a ton of things), and I can attest to the nostalgia rush this game gives :P

And kudos for keeping Ninjask on the team, that thing is an absolute pain to lvl up in the early game

1 hour ago, iDunno said:

And kudos for keeping Ninjask on the team, that thing is an absolute pain to lvl up in the early game

You may be disappointed to hear that Ninjask has been replaced by my fifth team member. I like Keemstar (he's fast as fuck, boi), but I like keeping to no repeating types, and I have a flying type in Altaria. Still, I kind of want to use Ninjask for another play through. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll start with Sceptile and actually use Ninjask.

1 minute ago, Filthy Casual said:

You may be disappointed to hear that Ninjask has been replaced by my fifth team member. I like Keemstar (he's fast as fuck, boi), but I like keeping to no repeating types, and I have a flying type in Altaria. Still, I kind of want to use Ninjask for another play through. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll start with Sceptile and actually use Ninjask.

Well to be fair, aren't you planning on Altaria being the mega in this playthrough and there for, you could use Ninjask on the team sonce Mega Altaria is Fairy/Dragon? o.O

Just now, Awesome_One said:

Well to be fair, aren't you planning on Altaria being the mega in this playthrough and there for, you could use Ninjask on the team sonce Mega Altaria is Fairy/Dragon? o.O

Currently typing up the next part as we speak. You'll see that flying isn't the only type being repeated if Keemstar (Ninjask) stays.

Chapter 12: A Shining Semblance of Completion

After trouncing Winona, we decided to head south, where the Safari Zone was held. Along the way, we picked up a multitude of items, including a useful Mega Stone!

mPoUkZU.png

I still plan on using Mega Altaria, but if the situation arises, Apophis (Absol) will appreciate the upgrade!

That wasn't all, however! While exploring, we found our newest team member! Say hello to the newest member of the squad...

Spoiler

Lundgren the Heracross!

tl4a1p5.png

For the longest time, I planned on using Pinsir, as that is both my favorite bug and mega. However, I decided to give Heracross a chance, as I've never truly used one before (I don't count Ruby Destiny: Rise of Guardians as a true Pokemon game, given the BS the game throws at you later on). Also, Lundgren's typing fits the team perfectly!

With our newest team member, we decided to head out to the next town, Lilycove City! While exploring, we ran into another familiar face!

xTUASWn.png

...it's May, isn't it?

1VzaSas.png

Cz6LEBW.png

May was bragging to us about all of the items and dolls she bought. Of course, she didn't want to make it look like she was only doing that, so she immediately said this:

MgsroxA.png

Since the game didn't give us any real option, we replied with "Really?" I know they're giving the player the immersion of choice, but there's not really a point if they do the same thing. It's not like The Thousand Year Door, where you have no choice, but different answers result in funnier reactions. Heck, even the Grimsley encounter in USUM is hilarious, as if you choose neither...

...I'll keep that one a secret, as it's best experienced. Still, May didn't appreciate hearing our opinion, causing her to say this:

TODwvlX.png

Without question, we began to battle!

Spoiler

XHPRR7L.png

Bf7j9Cj.png

1J3p481.png

The battle begins with Mega Achilles dominating with Rock Slide after getting hit by Aerial Ace.

o2sn4tb.png

Raff is able to put Wailord to sleep with Sleep Powder, KOing with Giga Drain.

68AwQ2x.png

Mud Bomb easily decimates Magcargo.

4WRsApY.png

Sludge Bomb is more than enough to decimate Sceptile.

eMmY4w1.png

Why do I feel bad all of a sudden?

After our victory, May tells us something quite telling about her character.

RrP8nSl.png

YDlhuZS.png

I think Emerald did a slightly better job of conveying this, but I see May as the person who's never been challenged her whole life, and is adjusting to the fact that someone is better than her. It's more apparent in Emerald, where you beat her by Fortree, she rides off, and Scott says something like "I passed some girl on the way here. She looked really mad!" Still, I don't think both games did enough to represent that. However, like all people who struggle with this, she eventually decided to follow her own path:

i46M19y.png

Yes, this is the last we'll see of May. Kind of bad for a game's main rival, but frankly, Wally's the real rival. Before she left, however, she told us this:

DTIchtT.png

qBbpiin.png

Okay, now I KNOW that thing has to be important! This is really interesting, as it did nothing in the original games other than give you some TM! We'll see how it resolves itself. Regardless, we spent some time looking around, when we found this:

dP6nmgD.png

YES! CIRRUS (Altaria) IS ALL POWERED UP!

After exploring the town, we quickly went to Mount Pyre, where we did some exploring. Along the way, we found an awesome mega stone!

kVOuxdQ.png

While exploring, we also... also...

...is that-

6LlmvhY.png

HOLY SHIT I'M SO FUCKING HAPPY!

The only other shiny I caught not named the Red Gyarados is a shiny Kricketune! I've caught plenty of shinies on Reborn, but those odds are greatly increased, so I don't count those as much as I do here! On one hand, I really want to try this thing out! On the other, however, I'd rather use this team member, who I planned to use as my final member of the team...

Spoiler

Charlotte the Vulpix!

7zcCwSV.png

I'd love to hear your thoughts, but personally, I'm leaning towards the original plan. I never used that particular Pokemon, and think it would be an awesome addition to the team. Still, getting a jolly shiny is really cool!

Regardless, we continued onwards towards the top of Mount Pyre, where we found Team Magma harassing a couple. We attempted to stop them, only to see we were too late.

Yt9GdpB.png

Maxie had taken the Red Orb needed to awaken what he called a "Super Ancient Pokemon". Of course, he knew that we were determined to stop him. As such, he decided to leave us to his admin, Courtney, before claiming he was off to Slateport to hijack a submarine.

B7T4CGb.png

Maxie had hyped up Courtney to be quite the tough opponent, saying that she should crush us so badly that we don't even think about challenging Maxie again. This got me quite excited at first. Courtney even seemed to be excited!

ednW5lZ.png

cIHNObF.png

SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE HELL?!

Spoiler

p4qltGL.png

Okay, Courtney, can't wait to see your new and improved...

...wait...

Xh5omV0.png

...SERIOUSLY?!

Could you at least make it something tough?

oLf5wun.png

LSOxJdm.png

There was not reason for Gamefreak to do this if all she had was a Camerupt. Why, you may ask? Because this is the same fight as Tabitha, who also only had a Camerupt. Needless to say, the battle lasted one turn.

Courtney seemed to somehow be shocked that one Pokemon couldn't take down a full team of six (including a water/ground wall in Achilles the Swampert). However, she had pulled off her job. Apparently, we were so dumbfounded by the sheer stupidity of the fight that Maxie got away in the madness. Before we could give chase, we decided to retrieve yet another orb!

6BOKXRL.png

We'll see if this blue orb is helpful. Credit where credit is due, though. Maxie stole the right orb this time, unlike the originals, where he stole the blue orb. Next time, we'll be giving chase!

Current Team

Spoiler

k8AQF6b.png

Edited by Filthy Casual