[USUM OU] Hop into the Naganadel hype train!

pyrromanis

The GOAT is here and I'm bringing you an early OU team for the new Ultra Sun&Moon meta! The new games are already out but I started making some teams for the new meta when the leaks were out. Everyone is hyped for the evolution of UB Adhesive known as Naganadel and for good reasons! It brings a lot of offensive power in the OU tier and forces many teams to run specific counters like AV Ttar to deal with it. So without further ado let's look at our team preview!

naganadel.pngkommoo.pngrotom-wash.pngheatran.pngaerodactyl-mega.pngmarowak-alola.png

Teambuilding process:

Spoiler

804.png
Of course Naganadel was the pokemon that I started with. With its amazing offensive presense only a few pokemon like AV Tyranitar, SpDef Heatran and chansey can deal with it. So that brings us to the next pokemon...
804.png784.png
Kommo-o is great pokemon that can come in against the previously mentioned pokemon and force them out giving it a free set up.
804.png784.png479w.png
For the next pokemon I wanted an Ice resistance since I had 2 dragons at that time, as well a pokemon with a ground immunity. Rotom-W is a great candidate for that role since it can now support the team with its newly added move of Defog
804.png784.png479w.png485.png
All this time I'm talking about how awesome Naganadel is, but I have to take measures for opposing ones as well. Heatran can stomach all moves Naganadel has outside of HP Ground. It also serves as a counter for the other newly added UB, Blacephalon as well as it gives a Stealth Rocker too.
804.png784.png479w.png485.png142-m.png
From this point and onward I kinda added some pokemon that aren't top tier pokemon for OU, although I think are fun to use. M-Aero give me super fast pokemon that can work as a revenge killer for fast pokemon like Tapu Koko, Greninja, Tornadus-T etc.
804.png784.png479w.png485.png142-m.png105-a.png
Last but not least is Alola Marowak that helps the team to deal with any set of Koko that pretty much smacks the team anytime it gets to fire a move of its choice. It also serves as a tool to break stall with SD.

In-depth Analysis:
naganadel_by_lightdragon87-dbtmyur.jpg
UB Banned Soon (Naganadel) @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Beast Boost  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Sludge Wave  
- Draco Meteor  
- Fire Blast  
- U-turn
Naganadel is such a huge threat with its Nasty Plot set that everyone is hyping it for a good reason! But since I kinda like to run some more unique sets I opted to build around scarf Naganadel. Modest Nature lets me get the SpAtt boost from its ability Beast Boost, while Choice Scarf lets it be faster than Koko, Greninja, other unboosted Naganadel and M-Alakazam. Unfortunately is not faster than Scarf Keldeo, Kartana or Latios but at least outspeeds M-Sharpedo at +1 speed. I could run a more optimal spread of EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe  with a Timid Nature to outspeed the previously mentioned mons while still maintaining a higher SpAtt to get the boosts from the ability. The loss in power shouldn't be great but I'm still testing it. As for moves dual stab with fire coverage hits almost everything for Neautral in the tier except Heatran and U Turn is always nice for momentum in a scarf pokemon.
kommo_o__by_shadeofshinon-db1dh3b.jpg
Kommಠ_ಠ (Kommo-o) (M) @ Icium Z  
Ability: Bulletproof  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Close Combat  
- Earthquake 
- Ice Punch  
- Dragon Dance
Kommo-o is usually called the worst pseudo legend mainly for its mediocre speed and its not so powerfull/reliable STABs. But don't worry Ultra Sun & Moon came to fix that giving to Kommo-o Close Combat through lvl up. Also move tutors expanded its somewhat shallow physical coverage with all the elemental punches and a few more moves. I don't think that all these moves + its own omniboosting Z-move will be enough to make it a great threat in th OU tier, but for now it works wonders for the things I want it to do! DD set up is great when you can force out pokemon like Tyranitar and Heatran getting you a free set up turn, but there are a lot of pokemon that can force Kommo-o out so you usually want to set up at late game. Close Combat is its strong and only STAB, since draon coverage isn't much needed when Ice Punch can hit most OU dragon types for better damage either way. Ice Punch alsio lets you hit Landorus-T and with Icium Z you can always ohko even the most defensive sets after you neutralize the Intimidate drop with a DD. Earthquake wasn't there at the begining, it was actually Poison Jab. At first I though it would be great to have somnething to smack Tapu Fini and Clefable but Toxapex is so annoying against the team so I found out EQ to be better. Max Attack and max Speed for as much damage as possible and to outspeed stuff at +1 like scarf Tapu Bulu, DD Dragonite, DD (M-)Gyarados and everything unboosted up to 150 base speed. Bulletproof over Soundproof or Overcoat since there are not many Hyper Voice users left in the OU and Spore isn't that common either outside of lead Smeargle. Bulletproof on the other hand lets Kommo-o wall M-Venusaur and set up as much as it wants unless it is a Sleep Powder variant, it can come in against choiced locked Gengar or Blacephalon in Shadow Ball and wall Stakataka in Trick Room while it can ohko it in return
rotom_wash___hydro_pump___by_otakupengui
0.3 kg <-SUUUURE (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Levitate  
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 20 SpD / 60 Spe  
Bold Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Hydro Pump  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Volt Switch  
- Defog
Rotom-W has fall from its glory in gen6 and its usage stats has dropped it in the UU tier. But USUM is giving Rotom a new toy to play with in the form of Defog. Hazzards were always been prevelant in competitive pokemon and especially in the Sun & Moon meta Spikes were eveywhere in OU. Rotom thanks to its ability is immune to all hazzards except Stealth Rock and thanks to its typing it only takes neutral damage from them. Unfortunately, Rotom-W kinda wanted to have all the previous moves it used to run so you have to drop something to add Defog. I opted to drop Pain Split cause dual STAB are great to threaten certain pokemon and Will-O-Wisp is just great to cripple switch ins. Volt Switch also form a mini Volturn core with Naganadel which can cover Rotom's grass weakness and Rotom can cover Naga's ground weakness (outside of Thousand Arrows and Mold Breaker EQ). The EV spread was taken out straight from Smogon's site (lol creative I know) that let's it live two Specs Hydro Pumps from Ash-Gren, take a LO Lati's Draco while also outspeeding most of the defensive Lando-T and being as much physically bulky as possible for stuff like M-Pinsir, M-Scizor and Garchomp. Leftovers are crusial since it doesn't have any other form of recovery without Pain Split.
heatran_by_spinoone-db3j715.png
Buck (Heatran) (F) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Flash Fire  
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe  
Calm Nature  
- Lava Plume  
- Earth Power  
- Toxic  
- Stealth Rock
Heatran is here to provide entry hazzards and check Naganadel, Blacephalon and Volcarona. In Volcarona's case if it is running HP Ground Kommo-o can take it on, and if it is running Z-Psychic Heatran walls it. Lava Plume is a great STAB option as it has a high chance to burn switch ins and cripple them. Earth Power is for opposing Heatrans in case they think i'm a mono attacking set since most special defensive Heatrans run Taunt. Toxic is to cripple Bulky Water pokemon not named Toxapex and Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock! Speed investement is for Adamant M-Mawile and Leftovers is for passive recovery over time.
mega_aerodactyl_and_tyrunt_by_dragibuz-d
Young Strong Jaw (Aerodactyl-Mega) (M) @ Aerodactylite  
Ability: Tough Claws  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Earthquake  
- Stone Edge  
- Ice Fang  
- Fire Fang
M-Aerodactyl is such an underrated pokemon in OU mainly cause its stronger moves are not boosted by its great ability and the lack of a strong reliable flying STAB really stops it from dealing with a lot of bulky pokemon. Either way, I really like to use it mainly cause it can run a lot of different coverage moves making the opponent either scout or lose a pokemon by not expecting named move. Edgequake combo is great for all around neutral coverage, Ice Fang can nail Lando-T, Garchomp and Zygarde while Fire Fang can smack Ferrothotn. Kartana and M-Scizor thinking it can set up free in front of me. I could run Aerial Ace for pokemon like M-Venu, Tangrowth, M-Lopunny, M-Medicham, Keldeo and Hawlucha but I think Earthquake is better for now to revenge kill unboosted speed Naganadel safely without missing.
marowakiealola_09re_by_starsoulart-dap76
Alolawak (Marowak-Alola) (F) @ Thick Club  
Ability: Lightning Rod  
Jolly Nature  
- Shadow Bone  
- Flare Blitz  
- Bonemerang  
- Swords Dance
Marowak's alola form completes the team by giving me that godly sent electric immunity thanks to Lightingrod while also being able to wall completely any move Tapu Koko can throw, as well as deal with electric types in general like Zapdos, Magnezone and M-Manectric. It also gives great offensive power against very bulky pokemon like Celesteela, Tangrowth and Clefable and be able to break through through stall by setting up Swords Dance. Thick Club is Marowak's signature item that doubles its attack stat to great levels giving it a much needed power. I decided to go Jolly over Adamant cause I wanted to outspeed M-Venu, AV Magnezone that runs some speed and utility M-Scizor that runs enough speed just for Adamant Alolawak. Shadow Bone is amazing ghost STAB, Bonemerang is for Toxapex and Tyranitar and while I'm still testing between Flare Blitz and Fire Punch the drop in power is significant but the recoil really sucks!

So this is the team! What do you think about it? Anything in particualr you want to suggest for testing? Feel free to use and test it if you want!
Importable:

Spoiler

Timid Nature  
- Sludge Wave  
- Draco Meteor  
- Fire Blast  
- U-turn  

Jolly Nature  
- Close Combat  
- Earthquake  
- Ice Punch  
- Dragon Dance  

Bold Nature  
- Hydro Pump  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Volt Switch  
- Defog  

Calm Nature  
- Lava Plume  
- Earth Power  
- Toxic  
- Stealth Rock  

Ability: Unnerve  
Jolly Nature  
- Earthquake  
- Stone Edge  
- Ice Fang  
- Fire Fang  

Jolly Nature  
- Shadow Bone  
- Flare Blitz  
- Bonemerang  
- Swords Dance  

Edited by pyrromanis

On 11/17/2017 at 3:49 PM, pyrromanis said:

The GOAT is here and I'm bringing you an early OU team for the new Ultra Sun&Moon meta! The new games are already out but I started making some teams for the new meta when the leaks were out. Everyone is hyped for the evolution of UB Adhesive known as Naganadel and for good reasons! It brings a lot of offensive power in the OU tier and forces many teams to run specific counters like AV Ttar to deal with it. So without further ado let's look at our team preview!

naganadel.pngkommoo.pngrotom-wash.pngheatran.pngaerodactyl-mega.pngmarowak-alola.png

Teambuilding process:

Hide contents

804.png
Of course Naganadel was the pokemon that I started with. With its amazing offensive presense only a few pokemon like AV Tyranitar, SpDef Heatran and chansey can deal with it. So that brings us to the next pokemon...
804.png784.png
Kommo-o is great pokemon that can come in against the previously mentioned pokemon and force them out giving it a free set up.
804.png784.png479w.png
For the next pokemon I wanted an Ice resistance since I had 2 dragons at that time, as well a pokemon with a ground immunity. Rotom-W is a great candidate for that role since it can now support the team with its newly added move of Defog
804.png784.png479w.png485.png
All this time I'm talking about how awesome Naganadel is, but I have to take measures for opposing ones as well. Heatran can stomach all moves Naganadel has outside of HP Ground. It also serves as a counter for the other newly added UB, Blacephalon as well as it gives a Stealth Rocker too.
804.png784.png479w.png485.png142-m.png
From this point and onward I kinda added some pokemon that aren't top tier pokemon for OU, although I think are fun to use. M-Aero give me super fast pokemon that can work as a revenge killer for fast pokemon like Tapu Koko, Greninja, Tornadus-T etc.
804.png784.png479w.png485.png142-m.png105-a.png
Last but not least is Alola Marowak that helps the team to deal with any set of Koko that pretty much smacks the team anytime it gets to fire a move of its choice. It also serves as a tool to break stall with SD.

In-depth Analysis:
naganadel_by_lightdragon87-dbtmyur.jpg
Modest Nature  
- Sludge Wave  
- Draco Meteor  
- Fire Blast  
- U-turn
Naganadel is such a huge threat with its Nasty Plot set that everyone is hyping it for a good reason! But since I kinda like to run some more unique sets I opted to build around scarf Naganadel. Modest Nature lets me get the SpAtt boost from its ability Beast Boost, while Choice Scarf lets it be faster than Koko, Greninja, other unboosted Naganadel and M-Alakazam. Unfortunately is not faster than Scarf Keldeo, Kartana or Latios but at least outspeeds M-Sharpedo at +1 speed. I could run a more optimal spread of EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe  with a Timid Nature to outspeed the previously mentioned mons while still maintaining a higher SpAtt to get the boosts from the ability. The loss in power shouldn't be great but I'm still testing it. As for moves dual stab with fire coverage hits almost everything for Neautral in the tier except Heatran and U Turn is always nice for momentum in a scarf pokemon.
kommo_o__by_shadeofshinon-db1dh3b.jpg
Jolly Nature  
- Close Combat  
- Earthquake 
- Ice Punch  
- Dragon Dance
Kommo-o is usually called the worst pseudo legend mainly for its mediocre speed and its not so powerfull/reliable STABs. But don't worry Ultra Sun & Moon came to fix that giving to Kommo-o Close Combat through lvl up. Also move tutors expanded its somewhat shallow physical coverage with all the elemental punches and a few more moves. I don't think that all these moves + its own omniboosting Z-move will be enough to make it a great threat in th OU tier, but for now it works wonders for the things I want it to do! DD set up is great when you can force out pokemon like Tyranitar and Heatran getting you a free set up turn, but there are a lot of pokemon that can force Kommo-o out so you usually want to set up at late game. Close Combat is its strong and only STAB, since draon coverage isn't much needed when Ice Punch can hit most OU dragon types for better damage either way. Ice Punch alsio lets you hit Landorus-T and with Icium Z you can always ohko even the most defensive sets after you neutralize the Intimidate drop with a DD. Earthquake wasn't there at the begining, it was actually Poison Jab. At first I though it would be great to have somnething to smack Tapu Fini and Clefable but Toxapex is so annoying against the team so I found out EQ to be better. Max Attack and max Speed for as much damage as possible and to outspeed stuff at +1 like scarf Tapu Bulu, DD Dragonite, DD (M-)Gyarados and everything unboosted up to 150 base speed. Bulletproof over Soundproof or Overcoat since there are not many Hyper Voice users left in the OU and Spore isn't that common either outside of lead Smeargle. Bulletproof on the other hand lets Kommo-o wall M-Venusaur and set up as much as it wants unless it is a Sleep Powder variant, it can come in against choiced locked Gengar or Blacephalon in Shadow Ball and wall Stakataka in Trick Room while it can ohko it in return
rotom_wash___hydro_pump___by_otakupengui
Bold Nature  
- Hydro Pump  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Volt Switch  
- Defog
Rotom-W has fall from its glory in gen6 and its usage stats has dropped it in the UU tier. But USUM is giving Rotom a new toy to play with in the form of Defog. Hazzards were always been prevelant in competitive pokemon and especially in the Sun & Moon meta Spikes were eveywhere in OU. Rotom thanks to its ability is immune to all hazzards except Stealth Rock and thanks to its typing it only takes neutral damage from them. Unfortunately, Rotom-W kinda wanted to have all the previous moves it used to run so you have to drop something to add Defog. I opted to drop Pain Split cause dual STAB are great to threaten certain pokemon and Will-O-Wisp is just great to cripple switch ins. Volt Switch also form a mini Volturn core with Naganadel which can cover Rotom's grass weakness and Rotom can cover Naga's ground weakness (outside of Thousand Arrows and Mold Breaker EQ). The EV spread was taken out straight from Smogon's site (lol creative I know) that let's it live two Specs Hydro Pumps from Ash-Gren, take a LO Lati's Draco while also outspeeding most of the defensive Lando-T and being as much physically bulky as possible for stuff like M-Pinsir, M-Scizor and Garchomp. Leftovers are crusial since it doesn't have any other form of recovery without Pain Split.
heatran_by_spinoone-db3j715.png
Calm Nature  
- Lava Plume  
- Earth Power  
- Toxic  
- Stealth Rock
Heatran is here to provide entry hazzards and check Naganadel, Blacephalon and Volcarona. In Volcarona's case if it is running HP Ground Kommo-o can take it on, and if it is running Z-Psychic Heatran walls it. Lava Plume is a great STAB option as it has a high chance to burn switch ins and cripple them. Earth Power is for opposing Heatrans in case they think i'm a mono attacking set since most special defensive Heatrans run Taunt. Toxic is to cripple Bulky Water pokemon not named Toxapex and Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock! Speed investement is for Adamant M-Mawile and Leftovers is for passive recovery over time.
mega_aerodactyl_and_tyrunt_by_dragibuz-d
Ability: Tough Claws  
Jolly Nature  
- Earthquake  
- Stone Edge  
- Ice Fang  
- Fire Fang
M-Aerodactyl is such an underrated pokemon in OU mainly cause its stronger moves are not boosted by its great ability and the lack of a strong reliable flying STAB really stops it from dealing with a lot of bulky pokemon. Either way, I really like to use it mainly cause it can run a lot of different coverage moves making the opponent either scout or lose a pokemon by not expecting named move. Edgequake combo is great for all around neutral coverage, Ice Fang can nail Lando-T, Garchomp and Zygarde while Fire Fang can smack Ferrothotn. Kartana and M-Scizor thinking it can set up free in front of me. I could run Aerial Ace for pokemon like M-Venu, Tangrowth, M-Lopunny, M-Medicham, Keldeo and Hawlucha but I think Earthquake is better for now to revenge kill unboosted speed Naganadel safely without missing.
marowakiealola_09re_by_starsoulart-dap76
Jolly Nature  
- Shadow Bone  
- Flare Blitz  
- Bonemerang  
- Swords Dance
Marowak's alola form completes the team by giving me that godly sent electric immunity thanks to Lightingrod while also being able to wall completely any move Tapu Koko can throw, as well as deal with electric types in general like Zapdos, Magnezone and M-Manectric. It also gives great offensive power against very bulky pokemon like Celesteela, Tangrowth and Clefable and be able to break through through stall by setting up Swords Dance. Thick Club is Marowak's signature item that doubles its attack stat to great levels giving it a much needed power. I decided to go Jolly over Adamant cause I wanted to outspeed M-Venu, AV Magnezone that runs some speed and utility M-Scizor that runs enough speed just for Adamant Alolawak. Shadow Bone is amazing ghost STAB, Bonemerang is for Toxapex and Tyranitar and while I'm still testing between Flare Blitz and Fire Punch the drop in power is significant but the recoil really sucks!

So this is the team! What do you think about it? Anything in particualr you want to suggest for testing? Feel free to use and test it if you want!
Importable:

Hide contents

Timid Nature  
- Sludge Wave  
- Draco Meteor  
- Fire Blast  
- U-turn  

Jolly Nature  
- Close Combat  
- Earthquake  
- Ice Punch  
- Dragon Dance  

Bold Nature  
- Hydro Pump  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Volt Switch  
- Defog  

Calm Nature  
- Lava Plume  
- Earth Power  
- Toxic  
- Stealth Rock  

Ability: Unnerve  
Jolly Nature  
- Earthquake  
- Stone Edge  
- Ice Fang  
- Fire Fang  

Jolly Nature  
- Shadow Bone  
- Flare Blitz  
- Bonemerang  
- Swords Dance  

Yo, this team isn't bad.  I tried it out a couple of times, and it straight up gets 6-0'ed by SD Mimikyu.  Just something to think on.