The Man from Ransei: Wolfox

Wolfox

Welcome! What's up, everyone?

This will be my written run, done in the same style as @Awesome_One does his James themed run.

Chapter 1: Prologue.

Spoiler
About 25 years ago, in a continent only spoken of in legend. The continent I'm speaking of is known as Ransei, home to many kingdoms, Warriors, and Pokemon. For a while, the kingdoms lived in peace. This allowed two people from different kingdoms to fall in love. After 8 years together, however, something happened to the couple. In the far North of Ransei, a man known as Nobunaga had started a campaign to conquer all of Ransei. The two lovers were called to arms by their respective Warlords in hopes they could defend their kingdoms from Nobunaga. The two worried, however. They had just been blessed with a child. They both knew that a wartorn continent is no place to raise a baby, especially when the parents aren't together. So they pleaded to their Warlords. If they could get their child somewhere save they would follow orders without a word against them. The Warlords agreed to this, and they send a blimp with one Warrior each to send the child to a safer home. The child would never know where he came from or who his parents were, all he would know is that he, too, could feel the feeling of Pokémon, like the Warriors of Ransei. The warriors reached a save region and dropped him off in a basket at an orphanage. Along with a note stating only the child's name: Wolfox.

As the years passed, Wolfox was the one child at the orphanage that never got adopted. Either the people looking found someone else better suited to be their child or he himself would think so. As the years went on Wolfox started to help the staff of the orphanage more and more, eventually to the point where Bertha would jokingly ask him when he would be expected to get paid.
 Bertha was the woman in charge of the orphanage. She was a kindhearted but honest woman. When Wolfox was about 8 years old and asked her about his parent, she said to him that she never knew where he came from or who they were, as much as it pained both of them.
 Once Wolfox reached the age of 16 he was officially allowed to enter the towns weekly raffle. It was sort of a lottery, however, you would always win something at worth at least twice as much as you paid for the ticket. Granted the tickets were extremely cheap... He would do so once every so many weeks and share his prizes with the children and staff of the orphanage.
 One more year pass. Wolfox (now 17 years old) is helping Bertha out by doing some grocery shopping and cooking dinner. While on his way back to the orphanage he saw a few a little group of people. They were laughing in a bit of a mocking fashion. As he came closer he heard one of them say: "So THAT is a shiny Pokémon? I honestly expected more!". "If we could catch it and sell it to the highest bidder we'll be rich!", said another. "Moron, none of us have any Pokémon, let alone Pokéballs." said a third one. "Then how about we just kick it a bunch and tie it up? That ought to work well." said the first one, ready to strike. Wolfox felt something coming from the Pokémon, it was scared. As the boy was about to kick Wolfox flung himself in its path, receiving the kick instead of the Pokémon. As the group was figuring out who the guy who just flung himself into a kick to save a Pokémon was, Wolfox looked at the Pokémon and told it to run. The Pokémon, which was a little Vulpix, didn't linger and dashed off. "DAMNIT! Every fucking time we corner one of them something comes up. Either it's a cop or this fuck." the first boy yelled, launching another kick into Wolfox his stomach, spitting near him at the same time. As the other two stepped up to do the same, they heard a sound they didn't like. A Police whistle. "Fuck, every fucking time a cop has to show up." The trio said. Wolfox grinned and said "Maybe that would mean you ought to stop. I mean you did say it never works.". As the trio ran away, Officer Jenny helped Wolfox back to his feet. She looked at him and said "Again? How many times has it been this week?". "At least 4 times Officer Jenny." Wolfox reacted. "Well, you might want to try not getting injured to save others sometime. Bertha would not be happy if you suddenly ended up on the wrong side of a knife." Officer Jenny said concerned but proud. "I'll try, no promises though!" Wolfox said before he dashed off back to the orphanage.
 As he entered the orphanage he was surprised to see that it was quite empty. "Bertha? Kids? Anyone home?" Wolfox yelled into the building. "In the kitchen dear." Bertha replied. As Wolfox made his way into the kitchen he noticed a woman sitting at the table, drinking a cup of tea with Bertha and the kids. "And that's how I... Oh, you must be Wolfox, am I correct?" The woman said while reaching out her hand. "Yes, I am Wolfox. And who might you be? Judging by your length I wouldn't say you're a new orphan joining the fray here." Wolfox said. "Oh, right. My name is Ame, and I am here to hand you something." she said while handing him a train ticket. "Okay? What is this about?" Wolfox asked, confused about the situation. "Allow me to explain." Ame said. "I am the manager of the Reborn League in the reborn region. A few weeks ago you joined in this towns raffle and won a ticket to said region to and the possibility to challenge the league. And since this is this is the first time we did something like this I decided to hand the ticket to you personally!" Ame explained. "And so the kids and I decided you would do it." Bertha said. "Wait, but I never agreed with it! Who says I even want to go?" Wolfox exclaimed. "You don't need to agree for us to know you want to go Wolfox." Bertha said. "You always wanted to go on an adventure. Explore places you've never seen before. Befriend as many Pokémon as you can. And now that that chance is here, we decided it would be best that you just took it." Wolfox's eyes started to water. "But... But what about you and the orphanage?" Wolfox asked. "Psh, I ran this orphanage on my own while you were still in diapers kid. I can handle myself!" Bertha exclaimed. "Alright then. Miss Ame, I will go. I will take on the Reborn League!" Wolfox said in a mixture of happiness and sadness. "Okay then. The time of departure is stamped on the train ticket, so you should not be late." Ame said. "Would you like to stay here for the night? Wolfox is cooking dinner tonight and trust me when I say that you wouldn't wanna miss his cooking. If only for hearing him swear while trying to find his way in the kitchen. "Bertha said with a laugh. "Verry funny Bertha, you do know this might be the last time I cook here for you, right?" Wolfox reacted. "Thank goodness!" All the kids yelled at the same time, just to joke around with him. "I would love to, thank you madam Bertha." Ame reacted. That night they ate Wolfox his "special" recipe Lacunosa Town style recipe. Ame learned that Bertha was not wrong, she heard more swearing coming from the kitchen than she had heard in Reborn City for quite a long time.

When the morning came, Ame and Wolfox set out for the train station. Bertha had made them "some snacks" for the trip. Which meant she had provided enough food for the trip if the whole orphanage would be going. As they walked to the station Wolfox felt like they were being followed. When he looked around he saw a little tail coming out of the grass. "I can see your little tail. You can come out you know." he said. And as he said it the Vulpix he saved yesterday slowly walked to him. "How did you know that she was there? I never heard her." Ame asked. "I've always been able to sense Pokémon's feelings. The better the connection between me and them, the better I can feel how they feel. And it seems this Vulpix likes me a little." Wolfox explained. "But wait? How did you know it's a girl?" He asked right back. "I have a little Vulpix back in Reborn. While not the same as this one, it did train me in spotting how females act." Ame explained. Wolfox decided to offer the Vulpix some food. As the Vulpix came closer, she knew that she had met someone she never wanted to part with. Right when Wolfox was about to stand up and proceed to the train station the Vulpix Jumped into his arms. "I think she wants to go with you." Ame said. "And before you tell her no, Vulpix can be quite stubborn." "Who said I was gonna tell the little girl no?" Wolfox said. "Once we register you for the league I'll provide a Pokéball for you two, okay?" Ame said as the continued to the train station, and the biggest Adventure Wolfox could have asked for.

the rest of the run will come with ep 17. I just wanted to get this out of the way now because I don't trust myself to remember the whole prologue of the story.

Tips always appreciated. Thanks to @Zarc for providing me with the Vulpix who will act as Started and partner for this run.

See you all later to update this once it's ready to go further.

• 4 weeks later...

Chapter 2: The train, the first battle and the night.

Spoiler

The train ride to Reborn went as smoothly as they could have asked for. No delays, no people trying to beat up Vulpix, it went great. Ame and Wolfox talked a lot though. About how Wolfox could read the emotions of Pokémon and if he could do the same for humans. Nearing the end of their Journey to the region Wolfox noticed something. Some weird guy dressed in all black had left his bag. He didn't think too much of it at first, but he soon learned that he should have been wearier of the bag...

"Hey... You okay?", Wolfox heard someone saying. "Wake up! Please..." was what followed. He was eventually brought to his senses by a nose pressing against his hand. As he opened his eyes he saw Vulpix stroking her nose against his hand and Ame looking at him with tears in her eyes. "Oh thank goodness. You're alive." Ame exclaimed in excitement. "I thought that I might have been the only survivor. Well, the only Human survivor that is.". As Wolfox regained his wits to him he saw that he had landed against a light post, back first. He also noticed he had a burn mark on his right hand and that the train station was completely destroyed. "Shit... I know I'm a rough sleeper but this is new." he said jokingly, trying to lighten the mood.

"Hihi.". They heard someone coming over and giggling. "Wow... THAT WAS SUCH A NICE BOOM! I'm almost jealous! Oh. Hi Ame!" The person said. "Julia... Do you have anything to do with this?" Ame asked, sighing and placing her hands on her hips. "Of course not! I may love making booms, the bigger the better even, I would never boom a train. Too many people could get hurt! And I would have to clean it all up by myself afterward. Not worth it." Julia reacted. almost as if she was insulted. "Right then... I'm gonna go talk to the police in the area. There must be someone who set this off and I intend to find him." Ame said as she was about to leave. "Wait." Wolfox said as he tried getting up. "I may have seen who did it. I saw a guy in all black leave some sort of bag near the front of the train about an hour before the explosion." He said. "All black huh... Well, that's a pretty good tip. Thanks, Wolfox. Once you can walk again I suggest you come to the Grand Hall, we'll get started on your Registration there." Ame said as she departed.

"So, your name is Wolfox? I'm Julia! The Captain of cheer, pep, and everything happy and bubbly!" Julia said in an... exited manner. "So, are you here to challenge the Reborn League?" She asked. "Yeah, me and Vulpix botch, actually." Wolfox said. "Cool! Then we'll meet again soon! You go to the Grand Hall now, I'll see if I can find out what kind of boom our mystery person used on the train." Julia said, in a more calm and serious manner. "Right. Come on Vulpix!" Wolfox said as he and Vulpix started running toward the Grand Hall.

After a few minutes of walking, they finally reached the Grand Hall. Once there Wolfox somehow managed to walk right into the automatic door. "Son of a..." Wolfox said. "Oh. You need some help?" He heard someone ask. "I got it thanks." He said as he got up. As he looked to where he heard the voice from, he saw a young lady in a black and white kimono. "My name is Victoria, are you by any chance Wolfox?" she asked while introducing herself. "I am. How did you know?" he reacted confused. "Well, I heard from Ame that she was on the train with a boy about my age, he would be with a Vulpix and had a good chance of running into the automatic door. It seems she was right about you. He he." Victoria said while trying to contain her laugh.

"Anyway, you're gonna challenge the League, correct?" She asked. "We are, me and my partner that is." Wolfox said. As they walked to the deck in the back of the Grant Hall Wolfox explained to Victoria that he could read the emotions of Pokémon and all that he knew about this power of his. Victoria didn't understand completely but thought it was interesting.

When they reached the desk Wolfox was surprised to see Ame there. "So, already caught our Bomberman?" He asked her. "Yeah, turns out he was not the smartest guy, he was right outside the station, running toward the Grand Hall." Ame said, happy to see Wolfox and Victoria arrived safely. "Now, normally I would offer you a Starter Pokémon to start your League Challenge, but since you have your Vulpix I'll skip that part and just hand you a Pokéball for Vulpix, okay? And after that, I'll see you upstairs Victoria. I heard it all from Kiki so there's no need to explain it to me." Ame said as she grabbed a Pokéball and handed it to Wolfox. "Thanks, Ame. Then, let's go see which one of these cuties will be coming with me." Victoria said. As he saw the ladies walk upstairs he suddenly heard someone walking toward him. "Hey~ You're cute." someone said to him. As he turned to the voice he saw a guy wearing mostly punk or goth like cloths. "Thanks, you look nice yourself." Wolfox reacted. "My name's Wolfox, what's yours?" "The name's Cain. I'm here to res...tart. I wanna go on an adventure through the Region and see if I can meet new Pokémon and people." Cain said. "Well, it's nice to at least have a local as a friend." Wolfox said with a smile on his face. "Wanna have a quick battle?" He offered. "Sure. Let's go!" Cain reacted, as he sends out his Nidoran(M)

Sorry that there's no screenshot of the battle, will add them to future Gym and Rival battles.

After an intense battle between Nidoran and Vulpix, Wolfox managed to come out on top. "Wew, that was a good first battle. You experienced as a trainer?" Cain asked Wolfox. "No, this was our first time battling. Unless you count me throwing myself in front of Vulpix right before someone was gonna kick her." Wolfox said with a laugh. Cain offered to bring him to the Pokémon Centre in the Grand Hall. As they walked there Wolfox also told him about his power. "Wow, that's a pretty cool power. Reading the feelings and emotions of Pokémon. That could be turned into a strong weapon in the wrong hands." Cain said, with a worried look on his face. But that was quickly replaced by a big smile.
 "Oh, there you are. I was already a little worried." Ame said as she walked up to the duo. "Yeah sorry, I kinda stole Wolfox here to have a little fun." Cain said. "'A little fun'? I never knew you were like that Wolfox." Victoria reacted. "He means a battle and some talking, nothing else." Wolfox reacted, not being able to contain his laughter. "Anyway... Cain, are you ready?" Ame asked. "I am, see you later Wolfox, Victoria." Cain said as he and Ame departed.

"So, wanna have a little battle with me as well?" Victoria offered. "Sure, let's do this!" Wolfox reacted. As they both send out their Pokémon, Vulpix for Wolfox and Litten for Victoria, something happened. Before Wolfox could even give Vulpix a move command, she walked up to Litten and they started to run around and play with each other. As Victoria stood there, confused as to what was happening, Wolfox almost fell down in laughter. "Haha! It seems like we won't have our battle yet. Let's let them play with each other and battle next time, alright?" Wolfox said. Victoria agreed, sitting down on a chair next to Wolfox as they watched the two Fire types run around with each other.
As it was getting late Ame asked if the two of them wanted a room to stay the night. They both agreed and they went to their separate rooms. Wolfox allowed Vulpix to sleep outside of her Pokéball, as she had grown accustomed to snuggling up to him during the train ride.

Chapter 3 coming soon

Chapter 3: A new friend

Spoiler

As Wolfox woke up to his first day of exploring Reborn City he notices something was missing. In fact, Vulpix was gone! He rushed out of his room to try and find Vulpix only to run into Victoria, literally. "Oh, good morning to you too Wolfox." She said with a yawn in her breath. "Maybe good for you, but not so much for me. Vulpix is gone." Wolfox told Victoria. "Excuse me." a worker of the Grand Hall interrupted. "Did you just say Vulpix? Because I saw Ame sneaking into her room holding a Vulpix last night." "Thank you. Seriously thank you so much." Wolfox said before he marched to Ame's room. When he entered the room he saw Ame, lying on her couch, still wearing the same clothes as she was yesterday, while hugging two Vulpix. Both a regular one and one native to Alola. "GOOD MORNING AME!" Wolfox yelled at the top of his lungs to wake her up as rudely as possible. This worked, as Ame was scared awake in an instant. And the moment Ame realized who had woken her up she grabbed a blanket and hid herself and the Alolan Vulpix under it while saying "Sorry, it won't happen again. I just had to see how they would act to each other. And when they fell asleep I just had to hug them >.<.

After the whole Missing Vulpix story was concluded Wolfox decided to go out and train a little. He battled a few trainers and wild Pokémon when he found his way to an old train tunnel. "Damn... Ame wasn't kidding when she said some places in the city were completely ruined." he said. As he wandered around in there he noticed a few rock blocking his path. He tried to jump and climb over them but just ended up falling on his ass. While walking back he noticed a flock of Noibat flying their way into the rest of the ruined tunnel. He stopped and observed the Noibat for a while. As he was preparing to move out and do some more training he saw one Noibat who was excluded from the rest of the flock. He tried focusing on this one and he managed to read her feelings. She was in pain due to an injury on her left wing and had been left because she couldn't keep up with the rest.

Wolfox instantly felt bad for the Noibat and decided he should help. He slowly walked toward the Pokémon, trying to make clear to her that he meant no harm. Noibat at first did not believe this and got scared, but once Wolfox had reached her she had calmed down as if accepting her fate. Wolfox told her she didn't have fear anymore, as he would help her. He picked up the Noibat and ran to the Grand Hall as fast as he could. "Nurse Joy, would you mind helping me out with this Noibat?" Wolfox asked. "But of course I will help. I didn't become a nurse just to stand behind a desk all day you know." Nurse Joy reacted in a joking manner as she took the Noibat out of his hands. "Wow, she's really lucky to have a trainer like you. Others would just have let her into the wild to fend for herself." Nurse Joy said as she examined Noibat. "Well. I'm technically not her trainer. I just found her injured in some old train tunnel and decided I should help her." Wolfox reacted. "Well, then I would say she's even luckier. Not many trainers here would care so much for a Pokémon that they didn't even own. Let alone one that they did." Nurse Joy said surprised. "She should be completely healed in about an hour." "Heh, it's not the first time I risk my neck for a wild Pokémon. Hell, I would say it happened daily before I came to Reborn City." Wolfox reacted as he stepped away so Nurse Joy could do her job in peace.

An hour later Noibat flew up to Wolfox. He could feel that she wanted to thank him. "Don't mention it little one. I'm just happy to help." he told her, But Noibat wouldn't take it. She would repay his kindness one way or another! And her way of saying thanks happened to be taking one of his Pokéballs and pressing the little button on it, catching herself for him. "Well, that's certainly one way of doing things." Wolfox said surprised. As he looked out the window he noticed that it had gotten late. "Ame, you mind if I take that room again tonight?" he asked across the Grand Hall. "Just don't destroy it and you can keep it for as long as you need." Ame answered. As Wolfox prepared to go to bed he let out Noibat and Vulpix. "By the way Ame, if you try to sneak off with Vulpix again, I have a new Security System." Wolfox yelled to Ame, poking a little fun at her. Ame said something back, but he couldn't hear it after he had closed the door.

End of Chapter 3

Chapter 4: Fern? More like burn!

Spoiler

Wolfox woke up to his second day of exploring Reborn City. To his surprise, Ame had not taken Vulpix with her again. "Girls, wake up, please. Time to go!" Wolfox said to Vulpix and Noibat. They woke up quickly and the three of them set out on their objective to explore more of the city. Right as he stepped out of the Grand Hall he saw a couple of people run up the Opal Bridge. He also felt a Pokémon being with them, but the Pokémon was scared. He decided to follow them, leading to him seeing two of them abusing a scared Pachirisu into doing what they want, with the third one standing guard. Wolfox walked up to the third guy and said: "Move.". "Yeah right. Make me!" the thug said. "Oh, I will." Wolfox said as he cracked his knuckles. As he sent out Vulpix to his Trubsish the thug noticed he was outclassed. "I-I'm still not moving!" the thug said, a little scared of what Wolfox might do to him. Wolfox walked up to him and stood face to face with him now, he could literally see the thug sweating a little. "Boo." was the last thing Wolfox said to the guy before he ran off. "Now, that's one down. Two to go." Wolfox said to himself. "Ahem. Let's let the Pokémon go, shall we? Else you two shall the ones taking a swim." Wolfox said, holding the Pokeballs of Vulpix and Noibat in his hands. "H-hey, where's Tim?" one of them asked. "He ran, and I would say that he was smart with that action." Wolfox said, quite angry at the duo for abusing a Pokémon. As the two remaining thugs send out a Mudbray and a Fomantis respectively, Wolfox sent out his Noibat and Vulpix, making quick work of the two thugs. "Now, you two will run away from here. And if I see you harassing a Pokémon ever again I will make you two have a nice little swim in the lake here. Do I make myself clear?" Wolfox asked the duo. "Y-yes sir!" they said in unison and they ran away as if they were chased by Arceus himself. As they ran away Pachirisu walked up to Wolfox to show thanks. "It was nothing, little guy. Now please, be free." Wolfox told the Pachirisu, who happily ran off.

After Wolfox had dealt with those thugs he continued exploring the city, going north in the Peridot ward. He walked past what looked like an abandoned factory, yet it was still exhaling fumes and waste... He decided to let it be, for now. Further north he saw a second factory in the distance. He decided to at least check this one out a little. On his way there he met a trainer that he let Noibat take care off. As the battle had ended Wolfox heard someone laughing. As he walked further he noticed where the laughing came from. Some guy dressed in green was laughing at him and Noibat. "You, you actually went and caught 'that' Noibat? That one was the weakest of any of them there, injured it's wing when a single rock hit it." The guy said. "What? You mean to say that you saw this Noibat getting injures and you just left it for dead?" Wolfox reacted angrily. "Yeah, I mean I was gonna try and train it myself first, but then that rock happened and I just let it go. For the better, if you ask me, such a loser of a Pokémon deserves a loser like you." The guy reacted in an insulting manner, which Wolfox noticed was his most friendly manner. "The name's Fern by the-." Fern said as Wolfox grabbed him by the shirt and held him over the lake, heels still on the ground. "What the fuck are you doing?" Fern asked confused and angry. "What do you think will last longer, the fabric of your shirt, my patience with you or you in that toxic lake?" Wolfox asked Fern, his blood boiling that Fern had owned Noibat before and just let it alone when it got injured. Fern was going to answer, but was pulled back onto his feet before he could, but also he was flung into a trashcan. "Where you belong." Wolfox said, showing his dislike for Fern. "You... You don't know who I am, do you? I'm the Top Dog and the Cool Cat. You got that?" Fern said. "Oh, so you're Catdog? Then half of you must have loved being flung into the trash." Wolfox said, mocking Fern (I don't think I need to explain, but Wolfox really dislikes Fern). "It seems you don't, well. I guess you need a little lesson in manners!" Fern said as he flung one of his Pokéballs. 'You're one to talk.' Wolfox thought as he sent out his Vulpix.

(I would have had a screenshot here, but Lightshot decided to give me the old "F you!". It seems I'm just not meant to take a screenshot during this written run... Sowwy :()

"You just got lucky. Anyway, I gotta meet my sister and one of her annoying friends and they didn't tell me what factory I had to go to, so I'm gonna have to scold them for that a little. Later loser." Fern said as he departed. "I really don't like him..." Wolfox said to himself as he wet back to the Grand Hall to call it a night.

End of Chapter 4

the focus of this Chapter was to show Wolfox in a new light. Instead of the guy with a great skill for making an ass out of himself I intended to show his more agressive side. this is mainly reserved for when people really piss him off, people harras Pokémon or when people threaten his friends.

Also, again, feel free to guess to who is the lady who Wolfox will at least atempt to have a more romantic relationship with. the tip remains: we meet her before the third Gym Badge is obtained.

Knowing the past of Wolfox, it would be possible that her sweetheart might be a child of the orphanage as well. Charlotte could perfectly fit this role as they are often both impulsive and can’t stand unfairness :3

Edited by Q-Jei

A little too cheesy for my tastes, but hey if it's fun reading and you're enjoying yourself, by all means go for it. 

Before you get your third badge, hmm... That would be before Shelly, so it narrows down to the orphan girls eww, pedo who's that other girl who escapes from the Orphanage? Laurel? Laura? Also Heather? Shelly? 

The only "safe" options are Ame, Amalia,  Julia, Florinia and Victoria. Victoria doesn't seem like a likely option considering her obsession with the Cal schmuck but looking at your linear character development in the story I'd say there's a high chance that she falls for guys with fire pokes. And who better than the guy who saves the day, Wolfie?

I'm spending too much time rationalizing about who your potential girlfriend is when you're actually making your own story in the process xD

Good luck!

Okay... so I'm gonna be honest guys. I made a mistake and forgot I gave Wolfox the age of 19. So after the prologue, I mainly wrote him as a guy at the age of 17. So I'm gonna make a little change in the prologue for that. another reason is that at the age of 19 none of the ladies are actually eligible for potential romance... I'm extremely sorry for this and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me :(

8 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Okay... so I'm gonna be honest guys. I made a mistake and forgot I gave Wolfox the age of 19. So after the prologue, I mainly wrote him as a guy at the age of 17. So I'm gonna make a little change in the prologue for that. another reason is that at the age of 19 none of the ladies are actually eligible for potential romance... I'm extremely sorry for this and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me :(

It's chill dude. No harm done.

Chapter 5: Enter Team Meteor.

Spoiler

It was the start of the next day in Reborn and Wolfox woke up with a positive mindset. "Well, it can't get much worse than yesterday." he thought to himself, remembering his meeting with Fern. Wolfox thought it was a good idea to check out the gym today, so he went ahead and ran to the big yellow powerplant. "This should be the place, I think?" Wolfox said to himself as he walked up to the door. But the second he was reaching for the door it swung open, catching his hand between the doorknob and the wall. "Son of a...!" he exclaimed in pain. "Oh, I'm super duper sorry about that! Are you okay? Or as okay as you can be after having your hand caught there." a familiar voice asked. It was Julia. "Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for asking." Wolfox answered. "Ah, Julia! Exactly who I was hoping to run into. I would like to challenge you to a battle.". "Now I'm even sorrier. I'm super duper ultra sorry but I don't have time today. Me and a friend of mine are gonna check out an old factory here in the Peridot Ward because there have been strange things happening in there, for what we heard at least." Julia said hastily, though it seems as if she was even slowing down her speech a bit. "Hey, Why don't you come with us? We could use some more help!" Julia asked back at her regular speech speed. "Uh... Sure. Might be some good training for our upcoming Gym Battle." Wolfox said as the two departed toward the old factory Julia was talking about.

When Julia and Wolfox reached the Factory Wolfox saw two people waiting for them. "You sense of timing is still the same, which is an interesting feat considering your hyperactivity. If possible I would suggest buying a watch." One of the people said. "Translation: Hurry your asses up next time." the other person said. The second person's voice was one Wolfox knew, and one he didn't like... It was Fern. "RINI! OMG, I am so sorry, I kinda ran into Wolfox here on my way out the gym and I got his hand stuck between the door and the wall." Julia explained. "Hahahahahah, You actually got stuck between the door? I knew you were a scrub." Fern said, mocking Wolfox. "Scrub eh? Well, then what does that make you, since I kicked your ass yesterday." Wolfox reacted, displaying his disliking for Fern. "Fern, seeing as this Wolfox Julia brought with her is here we can assume that he is here to help. It is requested that you do not scare them off, seeing as any help is welcomed for this operation. I wish to excuse myself from my brother here. My name is Florinia. I serve as the Gym Leader of the Onyx Ward gym and as the headmaster of the Onyx Trainer School. Pleased to make your acquaintance." Florinia said, pushing up her glasses in the process. "No need to excuse yourself, being his brother means you have it a bit worse than I would ever have. Almost makes me happy I don't if I have any brothers or not." Wolfox reacted. "Now that we got that out of the way... We gotta get inside like super fast! If we don't Team Meteor will boom my Gym! And I will boom their faces off before I let that happen!" Julia said. "Team Meteor? That's what these people call themselves? Seems fitting, seeing as a meteor impact could do some pretty good damage to the train station if the meteor was big enough." Wolfox said. "And how would you know? You studied them?" Fern asked, mocking Wolfox. "He is correct in his assessment, a meteor of the right size could do enough damage, however, I doubt this is why they call themselves the way they do." Florinia reacted to her brother. "Anyway... Let's find a way inside before the scrub kills more of my brain cells." Fern said, sending a quick glare to Wolfox in the process. "You want a repeat of yesterday? Or should I actually just toss you in the lake this time?" Wolfox reacted agitated. His reacted has shut Fern up, as Fern knew Wolfox was stronger than him in physical strength. "I know a way in! Julia exclaimed as she walked to the door. "Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa." She said, right before there came an explosion from the door. "Entrance is here!" She said, exited after having created an explosion. "You madwoman, give us a warning next time!" Fern yelled out angry as he stormed in. "I think it's safe to say that she did, in fact, give us one." Florinia said as she stepped into the factory. Julia and Wolfox followed without saying much.

"This is terrabadtastic!" Julia yelled after they had entered. "The wine hue indicates high levels of pollution. Estimated toxicity: 90+%." Florinia said. "And this is being dumped right into Azurine Lake. No wonder it's so poisonous!" Julia followed up. "Maybe we should test exactly how poisonous it is. Wolfox, why don't you take a swim?" Fern said sarcastically. "One step and I can toss you right in Fern, choose your words carefully." Wolfox said, intimidating Fern a little. "Ugh... Well, enough with the hippy environmental bull, let's just get going." Fern said. "We have to stop this factory from ruining the lake! Team Meteor clearly doesn't care about the well-being of the city!" Julia said. "The path diverges.  The most efficient course of motion for facilitation of thorough investigation and reclamation of this property is a similar bisection of the party." Florinia stated, pushing up her glasses again. "And in English?" Fern asked. "We're splitting up moron." Wolfox answered him. "I'm with Rini! Sorry, Wolfox. See you again soon!" Julia said before bolting off to the right side of the room. "Proceed with caution." Florinia said. "I always do sis." Fern reacted. "This statement was not meant for you. Permission for life-endangering reckless behavior, granted." She said before walking after Julia. "As you can see she didn't get enough hugs growing up. Not my problem." Fern said, before walking toward the left side of the room. "Just hurry up, and don't cramp my style too much.".

I will, sadly, not be writing anything in the team up section until they reach Julia and Florinia again. Because while I have enough banter between Fern and Wolfox, I wanna save that for later occasions. And I feel like Wolfox wanting to throw Fern into the lake has gotten a bit old by now. I hope you can understand this decision.

When Wolfox and Fern reunited with Florinia and Julia it was easy to see they had found a hump in the road. "You can try to hack it all you want Rini, but a Boom goes much faster!" Julia said. "Is the madwoman trying to blow up the whole building or something? Because for once I would agree with her." Fern said. "Positive. I however want to proceed to try to open this door via their security system. It would take more time, yet it would be the most advantagious way for us to proceed further into the factory." Florinia said, trying to hack into the system. "I heard they are keeping some Dynamite in the room back there. Wolfox, please get that for me! Just in case Rini can't hack the system. Or if nothing else to make sure it's in saver hands!" Julia said. "Your hands are saver?" Fern asked sarcastically. "Can it Fern. We're getting that Dynamite." Wolfox said, as he dragged Fern into the room...

End of Chapter 5

4 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Chapter 5: Enter Team Meteor.

Hide contents

It was the start of the next day in Reborn and Wolfox woke up with a positive mindset. "Well, it can't get much worse than yesterday." he thought to himself, remembering his meeting with Fern. Wolfox thought it was a good idea to check out the gym today, so he went ahead and ran to the big yellow powerplant. "This should be the place, I think?" Wolfox said to himself as he walked up to the door. But the second he was reaching for the door it swung open, catching his hand between the doorknob and the wall. "Son of a...!" he exclaimed in pain. "Oh, I'm super duper sorry about that! Are you okay? Or as okay as you can be after having your hand caught there." a familiar voice asked. It was Julia. "Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for asking." Wolfox answered. "Ah, Julia! Exactly who I was hoping to run into. I would like to challenge you to a battle.". "Now I'm even sorrier. I'm super duper ultra sorry but I don't have time today. Me and a friend of mine are gonna check out an old factory here in the Peridot Ward because there have been strange things happening in there, for what we heard at least." Julia said hastily, though it seems as if she was even slowing down her speech a bit. "Hey, Why don't you come with us? We could use some more help!" Julia asked back at her regular speech speed. "Uh... Sure. Might be some good training for our upcoming Gym Battle." Wolfox said as the two departed toward the old factory Julia was talking about.

When Julia and Wolfox reached the Factory Wolfox saw two people waiting for them. "You sense of timing is still the same, which is an interesting feat considering your hyperactivity. If possible I would suggest buying a watch." One of the people said. "Translation: Hurry your asses up next time." the other person said. The second person's voice was one Wolfox knew, and one he didn't like... It was Fern. "RINI! OMG, I am so sorry, I kinda ran into Wolfox here on my way out the gym and I got his hand stuck between the door and the wall." Julia explained. "Hahahahahah, You actually got stuck between the door? I knew you were a scrub." Fern said, mocking Wolfox. "Scrub eh? Well, then what does that make you, since I kicked your ass yesterday." Wolfox reacted, displaying his disliking for Fern. "Fern, seeing as this Wolfox Julia brought with her is here we can assume that he is here to help. It is requested that you do not scare them off, seeing as any help is welcomed for this operation. I wish to excuse myself from my brother here. My name is Florinia. I serve as the Gym Leader of the Onyx Ward gym and as the headmaster of the Onyx Trainer School. Pleased to make your acquaintance." Florinia said, pushing up her glasses in the process. "No need to excuse yourself, being his brother means you have it a bit worse than I would ever have. Almost makes me happy I don't if I have any brothers or not." Wolfox reacted. "Now that we got that out of the way... We gotta get inside like super fast! If we don't Team Meteor will boom my Gym! And I will boom their faces off before I let that happen!" Julia said. "Team Meteor? That's what these people call themselves? Seems fitting, seeing as a meteor impact could do some pretty good damage to the train station if the meteor was big enough." Wolfox said. "And how would you know? You studied them?" Fern asked, mocking Wolfox. "He is correct in his assessment, a meteor of the right size could do enough damage, however, I doubt this is why they call themselves the way they do." Florinia reacted to her brother. "Anyway... Let's find a way inside before the scrub kills more of my brain cells." Fern said, sending a quick glare to Wolfox in the process. "You want a repeat of yesterday? Or should I actually just toss you in the lake this time?" Wolfox reacted agitated. His reacted has shut Fern up, as Fern knew Wolfox was stronger than him in physical strength. "I know a way in! Julia exclaimed as she walked to the door. "Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa." She said, right before there came an explosion from the door. "Entrance is here!" She said, exited after having created an explosion. "You madwoman, give us a warning next time!" Fern yelled out angry as he stormed in. "I think it's safe to say that she did, in fact, give us one." Florinia said as she stepped into the factory. Julia and Wolfox followed without saying much.

"This is terrabadtastic!" Julia yelled after they had entered. "The wine hue indicates high levels of pollution. Estimated toxicity: 90+%." Florinia said. "And this is being dumped right into Azurine Lake. No wonder it's so poisonous!" Julia followed up. "Maybe we should test exactly how poisonous it is. Wolfox, why don't you take a swim?" Fern said sarcastically. "One step and I can toss you right in Fern, choose your words carefully." Wolfox said, intimidating Fern a little. "Ugh... Well, enough with the hippy environmental bull, let's just get going." Fern said. "We have to stop this factory from ruining the lake! Team Meteor clearly doesn't care about the well-being of the city!" Julia said. "The path diverges.  The most efficient course of motion for facilitation of thorough investigation and reclamation of this property is a similar bisection of the party." Florinia stated, pushing up her glasses again. "And in English?" Fern asked. "We're splitting up moron." Wolfox answered him. "I'm with Rini! Sorry, Wolfox. See you again soon!" Julia said before bolting off to the right side of the room. "Proceed with caution." Florinia said. "I always do sis." Fern reacted. "This statement was not meant for you. Permission for life-endangering reckless behavior, granted." She said before walking after Julia. "As you can see she didn't get enough hugs growing up. Not my problem." Fern said, before walking toward the left side of the room. "Just hurry up, and don't cramp my style too much.".

I will, sadly, not be writing anything in the team up section until they reach Julia and Florinia again. Because while I have enough banter between Fern and Wolfox, I wanna save that for later occasions. And I feel like Wolfox wanting to throw Fern into the lake has gotten a bit old by now. I hope you can understand this decision.

When Wolfox and Fern reunited with Florinia and Julia it was easy to see they had found a hump in the road. "You can try to hack it all you want Rini, but a Boom goes much faster!" Julia said. "Is the madwoman trying to blow up the whole building or something? Because for once I would agree with her." Fern said. "Positive. I however want to proceed to try to open this door via their security system. It would take more time, yet it would be the most advantagious way for us to proceed further into the factory." Florinia said, trying to hack into the system. "I heard they are keeping some Dynamite in the room back there. Wolfox, please get that for me! Just in case Rini can't hack the system. Or if nothing else to make sure it's in saver hands!" Julia said. "Your hands are saver?" Fern asked sarcastically. "Can it Fern. We're getting that Dynamite." Wolfox said, as he dragged Fern into the room...

I will, sadly not be writing anything in the team up section. Because while I have enough banter between Fern and Wolfox, I wanna save that for later occasions. And I feel like Wolfox wanting to throw Fern into the lake has gotten a bit old by now. I hope you can understand this decision.

I will, sadly not be writing anything in the team up section. Because while I have enough banter between Fern and Wolfox, I wanna save that for later occasions. And I feel like Wolfox wanting to throw Fern into the lake has gotten a bit old by now. I hope you can understand this decision.

End of Chapter 5

Ummm... I'm pretty sure you haven't noticed this but after Wolfox and Fern leave to get the dynamite, it starts over from the beginning of the chapter and repeats a couple of times.

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 6 A new arrival?

Spoiler

It took Wolfox and Fern about 3 to 5 minutes to get to the explosives. "No detonators here. Guess that's kinda of smart." Fern remarked as he picked up the explosives. When they came back Julia was grinning from ear to ear at the sight of the bombs. "It's like Christmas! Now give me the booms and the detonator!" Julia said, reaching out for the box of explosives. "Hate to disappoint, but there's no detonator here. Can't say it's a bad idea to not leave armed explosives in a storage area." Wolfox said, looking at a saddened Julia. Julia's expression changed on instant as she remembered that she had a secret stash pretty close by. "Wolfox, can you go pick up one for me? I would send Fern but you know, Fern. Rini is still busy and Ame has ordered the police to instantly take away any detonators from me." Julia said. "Sure, I'll be back as soon as I can." Wolfox said before running out. "If my calculations are correct I can estimate that you have about one hour before I am able to open this door. Haste is not required." Florinia said before he left the room.

Wolfox knew where the address Julia gave him was, as he had passed it a few times in the past. It was the last livable building before you reached the collapsed railway tunnel. When he entered the building and walked over to the receptionist and asked for "Julia's decaf coffee". The receptionist asked Wolfox to wait a while and walked to the back.

"Excuse me. Are you a trainer?" a girl in the room asked. "I am, why?" Wolfox answered with a question of his own. "Well, I'm a bit worried about my Wimpod. And while there's an expert coming I would like to have a second opinion on the matter if needed." the girl explained. "Ah, I see. Of course, I'll try to help as best as I can then." Wolfox said. The words hadn't left his mouth and a younger girl with purplish hair walked in and came to where Wolfox and the girl were standing. "Uhm... A-are you Wimpods t-trained?" The girl with the purple hair asked. "Not me, you want to talk to her." Wolfox answered. "You're Shelly then?" the girl asked. "Y-yes, that's me. I may not be too good at caring for Pokémon, b-but I do know Bug Pokémon." Shelly said, with some suppressed pride in her voice. "D-do you mind bringing out Wimpod? Then I c-can try to see if I k-know what's wrong." "Of course. Come on out Wimpod!" The girl said, throwing a Net Ball into the air. "W-wimp..." Wimpod said. "Ah, I think I see what's wrong here. Wimpod isn't sick, but h-he seems to be missing something. I c-can't place my finger on it though." Shelly said. "He's lonely." Wolfox said, being able to read Wimpod's feelings. "H-how often do you two leave the house?" Shelly asked. "Not that much... I'm just too busy. Say, maybe one of you two could take him? I'm sure Wimpod won't be as lonely anymore then." The girl said, looking at Wolfox and Shelly. "Uhm. I t-think that's a pretty g-good idea. If this trainer here won't take him I would g-gladly take him to the gym." Shelly said, looking at Wolfox. "If Wimpod wants to I'll take him along with me." Wolfox said, looking at Wimpod. "W-wimp! Wimpod!" Wimpod said as he crawled to Wolfox. "Guess that's our answer. Thanks, Mister Trainer. And thank you Shelly" The girl said, handing Wolfox the Net Ball. "No problem, and you know you can also just call me Wolfox." Wolfox said with a laugh in his voice. "G-glad I could help. W-wolfox, if you're  ever in the Lapis Ward, feel f-free to stop by." Shelly said as she departed.

Shelly had left the building and right then the receptionist called Wolfox back. "Here's the "coffee". Make sure she get's it before it becomes cold." They said as they went back to work. "Thanks, I'll make sure that she won't get iced coffee." Wolfox said as he ran back toward the factory.

End of Chapter 6

next chapter will see Wolfox and Fern take on Aster and Eclipse!

Chapter 7: Assault on Team Meteor!

Spoiler

As Wolfox was walking back to the factory he noticed two suspicious people walking to the north. He still had around 45 minutes left till Florinia had hacked the door, so he decided to follow them. They lead him to a house in the north of the Peridot Ward. When he entered he saw that the two suspicious people were actually Team Meteor Grunts that were trying to steal something. Wolfox walked up to them silently and tapped their shoulders. When the grunts moved their heads were hit against each other, knocking them out. "I'll bring those to Ame later. Are you alright ma'am?" Wolfox asked the woman cowering in the back of her house. "Y-yes. Thank you, stranger. I was afraid they were going to steal my Igglybuff. They had already taken my Cleffa... I don't know how I can thank you." The woman answered. "Happy to help. If that was all I'm gonna bring those two to Ame." As soon as Wolfox said it he noticed that the Meteor Grunts had fled the scene. "They're gone... What if they return... My Igglybuff. Wait! Can you protect her for me?" The woman said. "Sure. I'll watch over her for a while. once things are better here I'll bring her back, alright?" Wolfox said as the woman gave him Igglybuff's Pokéball. After this little detour, he dashed to the Factory as fast as he could manage.

When Wolfox returned to the others he was met with a glaring Julia. "What took you so long? It's a 5-minute walk at most!" Julia said, seemingly eager to blow stuff up. "Sorry I got a little sidetracked on my way back.  But guess what I brought you." Wolfox said, handing Julia the detonator. This was met with a huge Bewearhug, about as tight as a real Bewear would hug. 'Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Now we get with the boomi-." Julia hadn't finished her sentence or the door had opened. "Access Granted. Let us proceed." Florinia said as she walked through the door. "But the booms... Rini, you can't do this! Wolfox ran all the way to pick up the detonator.... RINI!" Julia screamed as she followed. "I'm not even gonna say anything about that. Just hurry up and get inside, loser." Fern said as he, too, walked into the next room.

"Two Gym Leaders and two novice trainer. That is all they send? I'm disappointed. And nearly offended." a mysterious man in the back of the room said. "I take it you're the one behind the bombing of the train station?" Wolfox asked in an accusing fashion. "Yes, sir! Come on Eclipse, for Team Meteor!" Aster said. "Fine, I guess." Eclipse followed up. "Novice? Oh, I'll show you losers!" Fern said angrily.

(Sorry, didn't have screenshots from this battle either. Will most likely start doing those for Gym Battles only at this point.)

"Wolfox, you really are useless. Your only two Pokémon completely wiped out early on in the battle." Fern said during the battle. "Well excuse me for having a bit of a weakness to Rock-Type Pokémon! And besides, I still have an Ace up my sleeve." Wolfox said with a smirk on his face. He grabbed the Net Ball. "Come on out, Wimpod!". Fern started laughing as Wimpod entered the battle. "You. Are you putting all your hope on a bug? You must be even more stupid than I thought." Fern said between his laughs. Wolfox felt Wimpod's emotion. He was angry, scared and sad. He wanted to proof Fern wrong, but he also knew that he was a weakling and a coward. "Don't listen to him Wimpod. Now, use Aqua Jet! Take that Rockruff down!" Wolfox said, and Wimpod followed orders, knocking the Rockruff out. Barely, but non the less a Knock Out for Wimpod.

"Not only were you already beaten by this bunch of Novices, but by a Wimpod. Worthless... Two Gym Leaders I can handle, but 4 opponents. We're retreating. All of you, you have made a strong enemy. Team Meteor does not forgive." The Mysterious Man said, right as the lights went out. When they turned back on Team Meteor was gone. "So, that's it for this place?" Wolfox asked. "Not quite yet." Julia said as she walked to the back of the room. "Hmmrrrr Yeah, we should all start running now." she followed up. "What did you do?" Florinia asked. "Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...." Julia reacted. "Oh shit. MOVE!" Fern said as they all ran out as fast as they could. "Well, with that out of the way, I should go. Later losers." Fern said as he walked off. "I, too, should relocate. I am heading back to Obsidia in a few days and there are still a few things Ame and I have to discuss while I'm here." Florinia said, but right when she wanted to walk off she heard Wolfox say something. "Hey, Florinia. Mind if I walk with you? It's pretty late and I got a room in the Grand Hall. Who knows, maybe we can get to know each other a little better." Wolfox said. "Alright. It might be advantageous to get further acquainted with you, as I believe we might meet again at a later point in time." Florinia said as they both walked off to the Grand Hall. "Tomorrow we're throwing down Julia. Don't forget that!" Wolfox yelled back to Julia before they were out of sight.

During the little trip, Wolfox and Florinia talked a little about themselves. When Wolfox told her about his power she reacted strangely. "I... believe I have heard of that before. Or at least read about it. I don't know the details, but from what I can tell it's something from a place far away from any other in the world." She said.

As they reached the Grand Hall Wolfox wasn't paying full attention and, yet again, ran into the automatic door. This got a little giggle out of Florinia and she couldn't help but smile a little. "You should wear that more often, it looks pretty good on you." Wolfox said as he walked inside to his room. Retiring from an eventful day.

End of Chapter 7

The Poll has Spoken, Tyrnatrum has won. The Julia Gym Battle should come either today or tomorrow, hopefully that is. And after the battle a new mon will join the adventure. Guesses as to which mon are allowed

Chapter 8: The first Gym Battle!

Spoiler

Wolfox woke up to hearing someone knock on his door for a few minutes straight. Half awake, he walked over to the door. When he opened it he saw both Ame and Victoria standing there waiting for him. "To what do I owe the pleasure of meeting two lovely ladies in the morning. Is it my birthday already?" Wolfx said, still being only half awake. When he realized what he said he saw Ame reaching for a newspaper and Victoria covering her face in her hand. But before he could even say sorry they laughed it off. "No, no it's not Wolfox. I actually wanted to talk to you about something that happened yesterday." Ame said, with a serious look on her face. "And I just wanted to ask something." Victoria followed up. "Right, I'll be ready in a minute." Wolfox said before he closed the door so he could get dressed properly.

When Wolfox came out of his room he saw Ame and Victoria having breakfast in a separate room. He joined them and the conversation started. "Look, if it's about my involvement with the factory yesterday-" Wolfox said before Ame cut him off. "Well, it is and isn't. I would say be more careful but considering it's you we're talking about that's unlikely. So instead I'm offering my thanks, with a little gift to express my gratitude.". As Ame had said it, someone came in holding a pretty big box. Ame opened it and pulled out a long coat, at least reaching Wolfox his knees. The coat was primarily orange with red accents, making it look a bit like fire. "I-I don't know what to say. Thanks, Ame." Wolfox said as Ame handed him the coat. "Now for the other thing..." Ame started. "Yesterday when Florinia came to talk about what had happened in the factory there was something off about her. She was smiling. When I asked her about it she responded by saying it had something to do with you. And now I want to know, how on Earth did you manage to make her smile?" Ame asked. "Well... remember how the first time I entered the Grand Hall I ran into the automatic door?" Wolfox said. "Don't tell me... you walked into it again?" Ame reacted, dumbfounded by the revelation. "How did that even wor-" Ame couldn't finish her sentence of Victoria was laughing her lungs out. "I-it's probably h-his natural c-charm." she blurted out while laughing. This ended up with Victoria getting two questioning looks aimed at her. "I uhm... Never mind." Victoria started blushing a little after her laughing had stopped. "That's how it works." Wolfox said. "In any case, that what I wanted to talk about. I'm going back to work now. Victoria, if you can keep your breath you can talk to him now." Ame said as she walked off. "Right, what I wanted to ask was if you were going to battle Julia today. And if that was the case if I could watch. It's going to be my first time seeing a Gym Leader that isn't Kiki take on a challenger, so having it be a friend should only be natural." Victoria finished her question. "Sure, I don't mind. Let's go then." Wolfox said, and the two departed.

(This chapter is not over yet. Also, I've decided to make Victoria the love interest, as that would be the most natural growing bond. I originally had Laura in mind, but there's too little on-screen time for her to justify it. Another reason is that Wolfox and Call are alike, at least sort of. Both have a Fire-type Ace and both can get pretty fire up given the situation. This will, eventually, lead to Victoria not staying at Apothyll but instead coming along on the rest of the journey. Sorry for the minor spoiler, but I might as well let people know. This will, by the way, influence Double Battles where Wolfox is alone against two opponents after the Apothyll arc. I hope this is understandable and if you have any other suggestions I could implement feel free to let me know. I'll finish Chapter 8 a bit later, maybe tomorrow but it will be done this week.)

Lol in the first chapter I got a feeling Wolfox was the type to get beaten up to protect a Pokémon. Now that I came back and read a few chapters more, Wolfox has actually a pretty strong character/muscles (dealing with Fern like that for instance). Hope you don't mind that my run also has similarities in that regard, for it was wholly unintentional!