HELP me like Sun & Moon pkm

dotahkin01

Title says it all, since these mons are coming to reborn i have to face them.

Didnt play sun and moon, not planning on playing it. My opinion: Pokemons get little thought / concept in the newer generation and some are just garbage (looking at you trubbish even though u great in reborn). Sun and moon just proceeded

Spoiler

(Just look at this pedobear: https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/760.shtml)

on it, but thats ok, some concepts are just bad in every gen. However, only a few attract me in sun and moon... (like Golisopod and bruxish seems pretty cool).

So which pokemons are fun or have a good concept(like on what they are based on) or are realy strong / meta (like clefkey)?

Edited by dotahkin01

Protip: take off the nostalgia goggles, the "newer pokemon are trash/worse than the classics" is in your head and bias wrought by your attachment to older ones. Liking newer pokemon isn't going to de-legitimatize your love for older ones or anything, so having such a negative attitude towards them only cheats you out of discovering some great pokemon. I had this attitude initially back when 4th gen first hit but then I started to like more and more of the pokemon as I played through diamond and now 4th gen is probably my 2nd  favorite generation.

Bewear is a great example. He's quite good and reliable, but you're so busy judging a book by its cover and attaching it to trite memes you'd never realize this because you didn't give it a chance. 

Also your "newer pokemon get little thought in concept" is pure nonsense. How is rowlett's line "little thought?" Little thought went into the UBs or tapus? I know opinions and all but that complaint in particular seems unfounded and reeks of unfair bias.

Honestly, if you give them a chance, you will find most of Gen. VII pokemon are actually pretty great. My only problems with this generation is that most of the pokemon are not particularly fast, and I'm not a big fan of the pseudo-legendary line (or the starters, for that matter). Anyway, here are my recommendations:

Mimikyu - Cute concept, great ability (basically a free Substitute), good movepool and stats.

Drampa - I like his weird design, has good abilities in Berserk and Sap Sipper, diverse movepool and sky-high Special Attack

Turtonator - Don't like using it very much (too defensive), but is has an interesting movepool and typing, and is based on a Mata-Mata! (Chelus fimbriatus)

Silvally - I don't think it's very good, because it's way too balanced to be useful, but it has a really cool design, and it can be used as whatever type you feel like.

Vikavolt - Awesome design, good movepool, and sky-high special attack. Only problem is that it's really slow, specially for a Bug and Electric type.

Lycanroc - I prefer the midday form, because it's faster and it has a Rock-type priority move, but midnight has an awesome design, with always-accurate Stone Edge

Wishiwashi - really cool concept, good movepool, and insane stats. Watch out for hits, though

Alola-Ninetales - Really fast, and acces to Aurora Veil can make Snow Warning work even if your team is not a Hail team.

Salazzle - One of the few fast pokemon in this Generation, has a great unique ability and typing. Just remember to catch a female Salandit.

Alola-Exeggutor - Come on, this thing is hilarious. Also, it has good offensive stats and movepool

12 minutes ago, dotahkin01 said:

Didnt play sun and moon, not planning on playing it. My opinion: Pokemons get little thought / concept in the newer generation and some are just garbage (looking at you trubbish even though u great in reborn). Sun and moon just proceeded

on it, but thats ok, some concepts are just bad in every gen. However, only a few attract me in sun and moon... (like Golisopod and bruxish seems pretty cool).

So which pokemons are fun or have a good concept(like on what they are based on) or are realy strong / meta (like clefkey)?

It's nice that you are going in with an open mind, though it is ironic that you like bruxish as it is the least liked/popular gen 7 pokemon hands down. If you want a good competitive gen seven mon, most of those aren't going to be available in reborn till post-game. Gen seven is the trick room generation, but there are already so many ways to counter trick room, so all the slow pokemon means that only the legendaries and ultra beasts are in OU and above for the most part. The exceptions are Toxapex and Mimikyu, both of which play completely different than the other but both would be useful in a play-through of reborn. Toxapex is an amazing wall who also has an ability that could make it decently offensive so long as you teach it toxic and venoshock. Mimikyu would be an amazing sweeper, as its ability gives it a free turn to set up swords dance/hone claws.

Design wise, well let's look at Kommo-o, the new Pseudo in Alola. Kommo-o is primarily based on Hawaiian Warriors, Samurai Warriors, and the Komodo Dragon. Those three just go into the visual design, the warriors being represented through the style of Kommo-o's armor. The Komodo dragon is actually quite cleverly implemented, many people think Kommo-o is based on an Ankylosaurus due to the armor being scales, and though I'm sure a little bit of the design, mainly the tail, is somewhat based on an Ankylosaur, Kommo-o actually shares more traits with Komodo Dragons. First is the feet/hands which look much more like the large therapod-esque feet of a Komodo than the rounded stump feet of the Ankylosaur. Then there's the head which is much more streamlined like that of the lizard than the wide blunt head of an Ankylosaur. And finally, and kind of the important one, Kommo-o is carnivorous. Ankylosaurus was surely threatening looking, but it was an herbivore, and though Game freak does take creative liberties with their designs, every pokemon based on a dinosaur, whether a fossil pokemon or not, has had the same diet as the animal it is based on. The final piece of evidence comes when you know exactly what inspired the scales of Kommo-o, that being the physical prowess of the Komodo Dragon. Though more known for their venomous bite, Komodo dragons are also well armored with their scales interlocking to be almost as resistant as chain-mail, this is what inspired the scale design. It's also part of the reason Kommo-o is part fighting, because those scales are designed for the Komodos to withstand other Komodos during fights. During these fights Komodo Dragons will often rear up on to their hind legs to attack, which could be why Kommo-o is seen on two legs in battle, but why in its walking/running animations have it on all fours, walking on its knuckles (which that in itself could be a reference to the "new" Spinosaurus which was theorized to walk on its knuckles due to its short back legs not being able to keep it on two feet while walking). Kommo-o's name also has multiple inspirations, obviously there's Kommo-o referencing Komodo Dragon, but also commander (which is why it has two m's) and mo-o, a creature of hawaiian legend which is a lizard that can morph into a dragon(quite appropriate seeing as a Komodo dragon is a lizard that's called a dragon). So in total, just one gen 7 pokemon is based on Hawaiian warriors, Samurai warriors, a Komodo Dragon, an Ankylosaurus, a Spinosaurus, a commander, and the Mo-o.

Hope this helps, sorry for the long response. 

Well, I get why visual design can let someone down, but the mons are more than its design haha

See, we have the Sp.Atk version of heracross (Vikabolt), the mon who is immune to stats (Komala), the guy who starts with an automatic Substitute so it will set up on your ass (Mimikyu)... So there are a ton of mons you could like for their potential aside from UB/Legendary mons (I found myself being a sudden fan of Palossand yesterday) even before you consider their designs.

Edited by kithas

@pokemastercj1

Nice, is the komm-o a fossil then? But it's cool to see it having a lot of thought, i generally like pokemon based on animals unusual animals if they look good or on fairy tales (like mudkip).

@GS BALL ye it's funny how ame actually made me like trubbish

@iDunno @kithas

Ok thanks! i'll probably make a new run on ep 17 and i want to use more newer gen mons so they'll be on my list.

1 hour ago, Monochrome_Complex said:

Protip: take off the nostalgia goggles, the "newer pokemon are trash/worse than the classics" is in your head and bias wrought by your attachment to older ones. Liking newer pokemon isn't going to de-legitimatize your love for older ones or anything, so having such a negative attitude towards them only cheats you out of discovering some great pokemon. I had this attitude initially back when 4th gen first hit but then I started to like more and more of the pokemon as I played through diamond and now 4th gen is probably my 2nd  favorite generation.

Bewear is a great example. He's quite good and reliable, but you're so busy judging a book by its cover and attaching it to trite memes you'd never realize this because you didn't give it a chance. 

Also your "newer pokemon get little thought in concept" is pure nonsense. How is rowlett's line "little thought?" Little thought went into the UBs or tapus? I know opinions and all but that complaint in particular seems unfounded and reeks of unfair bias.

I know, a lot just look more alienlike than in older generations (in general ofcourse)

Edited by dotahkin01

Kommo-o (I don't really know how it is written) is technically the tyranitar, metagross or goodra of this generation.

Whishi-Washi is actually terrifying also bc its ability, and even though Minior is still not available, its basically when you make Aegislash but the right way

wishi-washi seems nice yea, I like how he gets dog-tier once his HP is low XD. With leftovers and a baton-pass ninjask or vaporeon seems to make him realy strong.

Minior looks like a nice event pokemon for in the desert actually, but his movepool seems lacking (?).

Edited by dotahkin01

Kommo-o's learnset wasn't originally too impressive(nor will it be in ep 17), but USM looks to be buffing it pretty nicely as it gets a nice selection of new moves,

Spoiler

like finally close combat which it oddly lacked.

I imagine we'll get a 17.2 or  something down the way which will update the movesets to USM's.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

what I was gonna say has already been said. take off the nostalgia goggles. Don't judge a book by its cover. all that stuff.

for me, the best way of learning to like new mons is by using them and ONLY them. hack that's something I like doing most every Pokemon game I play. it teaches you that there's more to the mons than just the design. granted there are the ones I also refuse to use (new or not) because I simply dislike them in general.

and even if you're not gonna play sun/moon, if you wait a week you can pick up ultra sun/moon. now for a few of my favorite gen 7 gems:

Kommo-o: it's a dragon fighting type pseudo, enough to like (also I would like to say that I f*cking called it being part fighting once Jangmo-o was revealed)

Mimikyu: cute design and concept. AMAZING in competitive. just a really likable mon.

Lycanroc: it's a wolf. Wolves are my favorite animal (almost typed Anime).

Ribombee:

ribombee_dream.pnglie to my fave RIGHT NOW and tell me it's not cute as fuck. also, a pretty good stat distribution movepool only really lacks in abilities, but then shield dust is pretty decent.

Mudsdale: now, believe it or not, I have a weakness to Horse Pokemon. I like them all (it's only 2 families but whatever). Mudsdale is a bulky ground type hitter that just keep getting more physical defense if it has the signature ability Stamina.

Alolan Ninetales: I loved Ninetales before it got an alolan form. the only thing I kinda dislike about it is that it doesn't have refrigirate hyper voice, but I can live without it.

Wishiwashi: It's a cool concept of uniting to face a bigger foe.

All Starters: an archer, a wrestler, and a singer. there's something for everyone. Primarina still needs to grow on me a bit, but maybe ultra moon will help with that cuz people wanted me to use it.

Araquanid: read the ability and you'll see why dude.

Lurantis: it's a cool concept and design.

Tsareena: again, cool design and concept coupled with pretty good stats.

Salazzle: really cool design, kinda sad it's not as good as I was hoping but still really cool.

Well that's my 2 cents on it.

4 minutes ago, dotahkin01 said:

wishi-washi seems nice yea, I like how he gets dog-tier once his HP is low XD. With leftovers and a baton-pass ninjask or vaporeon seems to make him realy strong.

Minior looks like a nice event pokemon for in the desert actually, but his movepool seems lacking (?).

I showdown I used Minior with Shellsmash, Mental Herb and Acrobatics or Earthquake (depending on the foe) so it was is a beast... I really hope it is an event pokemon xD

And also I like Mimikyu's lore too for example

I personally Love Salazzle, Fire Poison is a great combo and an interesting pokemon (frustrating is the gender ratio and only females evolve...)

But there are great pokemon like the one mentioned above and awfull ones (design wise and even playing with them)

As you mentioned the Bear... I dont like it, I hope it gets love from someone else

The Ultra Beasts arent pokemon that I like either

I didnt use them much yet but some seem great others not, but you will find one or more (hopefully more) that you like

Sun and Moon mons are actually really inspired.  They are especially cool if you know where they come from. In example;

Rowlet line is based on the DC character the Green Arrow, mexican folktales surrounding Owls, and an extinct specie of Polynesian Owl.  Owls in Mexican folktales tend to have ties to death.  Also the Green Arrow was a spoiled brat who got stranded on a desert island and was presumed dead.  He trained himself in the art of Archery and left the island becoming a Green Hooded Vigilante.

Litten line is based off of Heel fighters in competitive Combative Sports like MMA and Professional Wrestling.  Heel Fighters are another term for people who enjoy being the bad guy.  It also takes influence from the classic Japanese Anime, Tiger Mask, which also inspired King from Tekken.  Tiger Mask is a wrestler gone from Heel to Face.  Meaning he was a bad guy who became good to be a hero to children and be someone they could look up to.

Popplio line is based on not just mermaids and Sirens, but the Ugly Duckling fairy tale and Northern European folktales about a creature called Selkies.  Selkies are female creatures that wear seal and sea lion skin and are known for having beautiful voices.  Brionne herself seems to be based on Japanese Popstar groups like AKB47.

Lastly gen 6 starters are based on the most popular RPG classes; Knight, Mage, and Rogue.  Gen 7 starters are based on the lesser popular classes; Archer, Monk, and Bard.

Random facts, but garbodor is based on the third kind of unnatural waste produced by man.  Garbodor is Trash, Weezing is Pollution, and Muk is Sewage.

Its also worth noting that Trubbish was introduced in the Unova region, which is based on New York.

28 minutes ago, Godot said:

Random facts, but garbodor is based on the third kind of unnatural waste produced by man.  Garbodor is Trash, Weezing is Pollution, and Muk is Sewage.

Its also worth noting that Trubbish was introduced in the Unova region, which is based on New York.

yet Kanto seems to produce most waste. genwunners maybe? (also, quote works again. Yay!)

but since we spoke about the gen7 mons we mostly like, I will balance it out by stating the gen 7 mon that I absolutely can not stand: Toxapex.

Now first off, it's a water type, so that's usually not positive for me. second, it's SO ANNOYING to fight. all it does is sit there and recover, t-spikes, baneful bunker, and switch with regenerator. design wise it's absolute shit IMO and generally, I just HATE it. and before you say "just get good at the game, it's not that bad to fight." I fucking dare you to fight someone with a stall team with this oversized sushi roll on showdown and tell me it's not hellspawn that should be exersized.

All gen VII pokemon seem to have something interesting to them. I don't really find any mundane pokemon. They all seem to have something interesting - Ability or Graphic wise.

Maybe that is why there are so few new pokemon.

I wish there were fewer legendary pokemon but rather more "regular" pokemon in the generation itself, but they add well to the mix of pokemon from earlier generations. Enjoy using them, fighting alongside them, you'll see.

My only gripe with the latest two generations is the addition of mega evolutions, that were then "dropped" in favor of Z-moves. While I do not think they are bad concepts of themselves, I hate that GF choose just a group of pokemon to get some special treatment.