Valerieeeeeeee~WhY!

Fighting Valerie this time around.

Fought her thrice and can already see its going to be a doozy.

Rain is pouring. 

She leads off with a Lanturn, I lead off with

Abomasnow (Level 45)  - Snow Warning

Wood Hammer

Ingrain

Ice Shard

Swagger

I ingrain / Swagger the lanturn and have to super potion myself.

Lanturn generally just spams Icebeam on my Abomasnow.

Berry also weakens my first woodhammer. 

Generally kills of the Lanturn and then some.

Then I just fight whatever comes next.

My main issue is that all the pokemon have Water/Ice moves which wall alot of team currently.

Rest of squad is

Ribombee (Level 45) @ Honey gather 

Stun Spore

Pollen Puff

Dazzling Gleam

Bug Buzz 

This cant do a whole lot this match up. 

I dont have acces to Quiver Dance just yet so thats a tad annoying. 

I could potentially overlevel with Exp Share and then downgrade with Quiver Dance.

Ideas?

Lycanrock Day  (L45)  @ Sand Rush

Stealthrock

Howl

Rock Slide

Crunch

Almost useless, can hit her Lapras but thats it. Can set up stealth rocks

Muk Alolan (L45) @ Gluttony (sadly)

Crunch

Knock off

Gunk Shot

Acid Spray

Can kill one or two, but thats it

Xatu (L45) @ Synchronize 

Wish

Air Slash

Confuse Ray

Psychic 

I try to use some hax here but its struggling against all the icebeams.

Greninja (L45) @ Protean 

Water Shuriken

Substitute

Smack Down

Rock Smash 

Sadly feels like he's lacking alot as well. This time around mostly because of protean.

Bank:

Gothitelle (L 42 ) 

Psychic

Psy-shock

Feint Attack

Embargo

-Dont quite see how she can help me.

So far I've considered overleveling Ribombee for Quiver Dance

Other than that potentially an Amoonguss, but still, Icebeam's there.

What should I do at this time?

Use good rod to catch something? 

Level Foongus ? 

Level Krabby into a kingler and pray? 

HALP

Edit: I can good rod Goldeen/ Carvanha / Basculin. 

I can only see Carvanha possibly do something as a Sharpedo

Edited by KindleofDreams

3 hours ago, KindleofDreams said:

Quagsire (L31)  - Unaware

-Yawn

-Flame Burst

-Water Pulse

-Refresh

Does a Quagsire have Flame Burst?!!!! Hacker exposed

JK, just loved this typo.

Well, I am playing in Intense and Marianette was a nightmare to defeat. The answer I found was to evolve my Quilava to Typhlosion, use the only Heart Scale available so far to reteach it Eruption via the Move Relearner at Sheridan village and it OHKO'ed the Bewear.

It still was hard, especially that Komala, but I pulled through.

PS: Glad you defeated her after all :) 

I notice a frightening lack of set up sweepers! If my memory serves me correctly I swapped a bunch of intimidating mons around on one of her physical attackers, set up with Braixen (work up), then proceeded to cook the rest of her team.

You should definitely look to reteach Lycanroc howl btw. Even though howl is a weak set up move Lycanroc savages most of the hard fights in the game. Ribombee with quiver dance and stun spore can also be a potent sweeper!

sometimes it's helped me to set up defences higher, so that each attack feels like the bite of a mosquito :P then, once I can stop worrying about being knocked out, I come in and sweep teams lol example: cosmic power lopunny

Just now, Candy said:

sometimes it's helped me to set up defences higher, so that each attack feels like the bite of a mosquito :P then, once I can stop worrying about being knocked out, I come in and sweep teams lol example: cosmic power lopunny

I used a Defense Curl Simple Bibarel vs Venam. Set up with it, then swept her with a Rollout that hit 5 times in a row.

That's when I decided to go to Luck's tent and raise difficulty to Intense instead of Reborn-like.

Pity that, when I got Buneary, it was a male one and I can't breed Cosmic Power on it :( 

Even this way though, it is a solid attacker, with great speed! And very cute too.

6 minutes ago, Jess said:

I used a Defense Curl Simple Bibarel vs Venam. Set up with it, then swept her with a Rollout that hit 5 times in a row.

That's when I decided to go to Luck's tent and raise difficulty to Intense instead of Reborn-like.

Pity that, when I got Buneary, it was a male one and I can't breed Cosmic Power on it :( 

Even this way though, it is a solid attacker, with great speed! And very cute too.

Buneary/lopunny are one of my favorite pokemon, but I feel they turn into the best they can be through breeding (stab fake out gets you an extra turn, and cosmic power of course). Though they are sometimes overshadowed by bulkier pokemon with better typing, I usually have a lopunny in my team just because it's adorable. I think I like the challenge of not using OP mons too so :P I'm also playing the intense mode haha

Just now, Candy said:

Buneary/lopunny are one of my favorite pokemon, but I feel they turn into the best they can be through breeding (stab fake out gets you an extra turn, and cosmic power of course). Though they are sometimes overshadowed by bulkier pokemon with better typing, I usually have a lopunny in my team just because it's adorable. I think I like the challenge of not using OP mons too so :P I'm also playing the intense mode haha

I'm making it a bit more challenging by using only rodent-like pokemon. Bunnies are included, even though they aren't officially rodents, but close enough! :) 

Just now, Jess said:

I'm making it a bit more challenging by using only rodent-like pokemon. Bunnies are included, even though they aren't officially rodents, but close enough! :) 

that's like such a great idea! might be stealing that idea in one of my future runs :P rodent pokes are "weak" but can be useful if strategically arranged in a team

4 minutes ago, Candy said:

that's like such a great idea! might be stealing that idea in one of my future runs :P rodent pokes are "weak" but can be useful if strategically arranged in a team

Thanks! :) You are free to do so! :P 

I was playing Danganronpa one day, and a character there was having 4 adorable hamsters, so I got the idea! It's fun, since the typical electric rodents and others like them are often called "roadkill", but they seem to be performing very well so far!

Errr, just defeated Narcissa and done some breeding/item hunting/EV training (with lots of patience).

Edited by Jess

I used a Harden +6 Grimer against one of the harder battles. It was versus both of the..fighting type leaders XD

Well my current team pre-...Narcissa is.

Level 40 Alolan Muk / Level 39 Ribombee / Level 38 Altaria ( I love altaria <3) / Quagsire L35  / LycanRock Level 40/ Sawsbuck L40 / L38 Delphox.

I honestly dont know what to expect this game. Playing it on "reborn level", I do lack set up sweepers at the moment.

Though I have a Cotton Guard Altaria who is walling physical attackers xD. I somewhat hope there are more difficult battles like Maria(nette), but not too extreme xD.

PS. I noticed some pokemon were named "shadow" but were uncatchable at this point. 

Must be because of the broken machine still?

bulk up blaziken, i had to go back and find that one heart scale you get pre mining to relearn hi jump kick, still was a pain in the ass to deal with bewear, you need a good special attacker to deal with that thing or something that can set up work up like 3 times.

On 8.11.2017 at 10:36 PM, Jess said:

Does a Quagsire have Flame Burst?!!!! Hacker exposed

JK, just loved this typo.

Well, I am playing in Intense and Marianette was a nightmare to defeat. The answer I found was to evolve my Quilava to Typhlosion, use the only Heart Scale available so far to reteach it Eruption via the Move Relearner at Sheridan village and it OHKO'ed the Bewear.

It still was hard, especially that Komala, but I pulled through.

PS: Glad you defeated her after all :) 

Where did you found the Heart Scale @Jess

21 minutes ago, HellBoyOnEarth said:

Where did you found the Heart Scale @Jess

In Amethyst Grotto (the place you fight the Spirit of Keta for your 2nd Badge), right below the first tree you see on your right hand side. Use the Itemfinder, cause it is hidden.

This will help you in general.

Edited by Jess

2 hours ago, KindleofDreams said:

Well. Since my character is stuck.

And they dont seem that fast in fixing it. I'm going to re-start Rejuvenation.

Now that I know a little more what to expect, I can "build" my early team somewhat better. 

I would go in this battle like this:

Helioptile/Cinncino: Sawsbuck can defeat them, like you did before :)
P2: Pangoro/Meditie should kill this thing fast

Pyroar: Lycanroc should get this thing down with Rock Tomb or Accelrock, also a Graveler with Bulldoze/Rock Throw could do massive damage here

Chatot: Same thoughts as by Pyroar, both could beat Chatot

Bewear: Try to relearn your Grimer Acid Spray, this is very usefull, cause it lower down the sp. Def of the enemy, attack it so long with it, till your Grimer is down, then attack with a striong sp. attack(like Psybeam from Braixen) and bewear should go down :)

Edited by HellBoyOnEarth

On 11/9/2017 at 2:04 AM, KindleofDreams said:

I've been fighting Mariennete for atleast 20 times now. 

At first It was near impossible to beat her BeWear. Eventually I found a way around that (even with insane sacrifices tbh).

Yet. RNG continously screws me over and I'm somewhat at a loss at how to continue this fight in certain areas.

The closest I got was killing of her Chatot of the Porygon2. (Which might've been possible if P2 wasnt dodging my StunSpore).

I lead off with a Sawsbuck  (L34) - Sap Sipper

-Jump Kick

-Horn Leech

-Aromatherapy

-Feint Attack.

Sawsbuck generally kills of Helioptile/Cincinno. Then I suicide him on Bewear to bring his Health lower. I've tried saving Sawbuck for P2 but -> I have to use him for my 3rd pokemon.

Then I bring in my Quagsire (L31)  - Unaware

-Yawn

-Flame Burst

-Water Pulse

-Refresh

I generally bring this in because A) I can potentionally confuse him with waterpulse (Flame Burst cant burn?)

and B  ) he insists on Hammer arming Quagsire. I try to confuse him if I can but I generally just try to bring him down to lower then 50%.

Then I bring in Ribombee (L31) - Honey Gather

Draining Kiss

Stun Spore

Pollen Puff

Bug Buzz 

Ribombee can use the field effect ( which I cant find in the manual?!)  to bring BeWear down with +- 50% using Draining kiss.

I try to save ribombee to use on P2. Because her usefulness kinda ends at killing Bewear, apart from stun spore.

I have a Lycanroc Day (L33) - Keen Eye

Which can technically kill Pyroar/Chatot if they dont get lucky with Resonating Pulse. It can 2 hit Both of them. 

-Rock Tomb

-Accelrock

-Stealth Rock

-Bite 

Setting up stealth rocks is usefull however, I dont have any room to do that. Because its kill or be killed.

My final two pokemon are a little hard to use this match.

Alolan Grimer (Level 33) - Poison Touch

Crunch

Knock off

Poison Sweep

Stacking Shot

Braixen (Level 34) - Blaze

Light Screen

Flame charge

Fire SPin

Spybeam

In my eyes I should be able to clear her with this team. Especially if Lycanroc can kill Chatot/Pyroar. 

But there is so much RNG involved that its really hard to actualize this gym. 

Do you have any tips?

Edit: While typing this I managed to clear her.

Used Braixen abit earlier to suicide on the BeWear instead of Sawsbuck and it worked out. 

Was even able to set up Stealth Rocks on Pyroar to make things smoother.

If you think is a nightmare imagine playing hardcore mode with a freaking Jangmo-o, the start is already hell lol

20 hours ago, V for Vendetta said:

If you think is a nightmare imagine playing hardcore mode with a freaking Jangmo-o, the start is already hell lol

I'd rather not imagine xD

@AnnDy I can potentially do that this run.
I initially wanted to start with Ralts but it took too long so opted with a Froakie instead.

Gives me a decent psychic option apart from Fennekin.

Currently my plan is:

Frogadier (Want to keep him this way for bounce) , Lycanrock Day, Houndoom ( I dont like Arcanine as a fire type), Fletchinder (will be replaced by Altaria later). 

I think again want Alolan Muk as well. Same goes for Ribombee. I guess ittl depend on my mood :P

Well. Back at the Horrible Mariannette mansion. Curious to see how it will go.

---

It went pretty Decent. Lycanrock (Day) was the main MVP clearing out 4 out of 6.

I had troubles with Bewear / P2 but the rest was pretty easy to get rid of.

Current team:

Level 38 Ribombee

Level 40 Alolan Muk

Level 40 Lycanrock Day

Level 38 Greninja (decided to forgo on bounce)

Level 38 Houndoom 

Level 39 Xatu 

While Xatu helped tremendously with Keta - I feel he's getting Lackluster

Psychic/Airslash are nice coverage. Wish + C-ray also help in certain situations but I just dont like him anymore.

Houndooms movepool turned out to be alot more lackluster than I imagined. Wasnt much help against Bewear. 

Though I like his typing, he's just not doing it for me. 

I have a Fletchinder / Loudred in the bank. 

I pretty much have every shadow pokemon bar Happiny/Salazzle. 

I'm pre-Narcissa. Do you have any options or suggestions or fun pokemon to recommend. They don't have to be "meta" or standard.

I looked into potentially using a Drifblim/Cofragigus but their movepools are also quite lackluster. 

So let me know!

Edited by KindleofDreams

22 hours ago, KindleofDreams said:

Well. Back at the Horrible Mariannette mansion. Curious to see how it will go.

---

It went pretty Decent. Lycanrock (Day) was the main MVP clearing out 4 out of 6.

I had troubles with Bewear / P2 but the rest was pretty easy to get rid of.

Current team:

Level 38 Ribombee

Level 40 Alolan Muk

Level 40 Lycanrock Day

Level 38 Greninja (decided to forgo on bounce)

Level 38 Houndoom 

Level 39 Xatu 

While Xatu helped tremendously with Keta - I feel he's getting Lackluster

Psychic/Airslash are nice coverage. Wish + C-ray also help in certain situations but I just dont like him anymore.

Houndooms movepool turned out to be alot more lackluster than I imagined. Wasnt much help against Bewear. 

Though I like his typing, he's just not doing it for me. 

I have a Fletchinder / Loudred in the bank. 

I pretty much have every shadow pokemon bar Happiny/Salazzle. 

I'm pre-Narcissa. Do you have any options or suggestions or fun pokemon to recommend. They don't have to be "meta" or standard.

I looked into potentially using a Drifblim/Cofragigus but their movepools are also quite lackluster. 

So let me know!

P2 is easy to defeat with a fighting type

My Pangoro easily defeat it with Vital Throw and Karate Chop :P

Bewear:

As I sayed before, try to relearn Muk Acid Spray, it will be very helfpul, I think that your Sp. Attacker could beat that bear then :)

1 hour ago, HellBoyOnEarth said:

P2 is easy to defeat with a fighting type

My Pangoro easily defeat it with Vital Throw and Karate Chop :P

Bewear:

As I sayed before, try to relearn Muk Acid Spray, it will be very helfpul, I think that your Sp. Attacker could beat that bear then :)

The Muk I have now had Acid Spray.

I beat Marienette. My above post was post Mariennette- Pre Narcissa.

My first advice for Valarie is don't fight her when it's raining. (Surprisingly, this is possible)

I assume you don't have any Electric mons or Electric moves, but I think you will be helped by bringing another Grass type; it could be Amoonguss or Shiinotic. (Shiinotic actually can have Rain Dish so maybe that would do something?)

If their SDef is high enough they shouldn't be getting OHKO'd by non-STAB Ice Beams since most of Valarie's team are tanks rather than dedicated attackers I think, you can then try to outstall them with Giga Drain recovery?

If you're gonna bring Water mons just watch out for her mons that have Electric moves, namely Lanturn and Lapras I believe

11 hours ago, EndearingCharacterTrait said:

My first advice for Valarie is don't fight her when it's raining. (Surprisingly, this is possible)

I assume you don't have any Electric mons or Electric moves, but I think you will be helped by bringing another Grass type; it could be Amoonguss or Shiinotic. (Shiinotic actually can have Rain Dish so maybe that would do something?)

If their SDef is high enough they shouldn't be getting OHKO'd by non-STAB Ice Beams since most of Valarie's team are tanks rather than dedicated attackers I think, you can then try to outstall them with Giga Drain recovery?

If you're gonna bring Water mons just watch out for her mons that have Electric moves, namely Lanturn and Lapras I believe

I actually have captured Morelull. 

Going to level him / her if it has Raindish.

The only eletric types that I have are Pichu/Voltob and Blitzle. Who I could level. Except IDK how good they turn out to be.