Changing pokemon sprites?

Arnab Fouzder

[Sorry if I am discussing the topic in the wrong section...] So I was wondering.....If the trainer sprite can be changed, Mods can be used as skins for pokegears and other stuff, then can we replace the pokemon sprites? I mean the black and white pokemon sprites are all .gif files, right? Even if they were available in the net, can we change pokemon sprites? 

2 hours ago, Combat said:

I mean, I've changed a few sprites here and there. As long as you rename the sprites to the appropriate file, it should work. I'm not sure if a .gif file would work though.

U mean like, if I change the given sprite of Muk to the Platinum version Muk by keeping the exact same file name then there shouldn't be any problems, right?

10 minutes ago, Arnab Fouzder said:

U mean like, if I change the given sprite of Muk to the Platinum version Muk by keeping the exact same file name then there shouldn't be any problems, right?

Yes, that's how sprites work.

If you're looking to replace sprites, they need to be set at a 2x resolution (2 pixels per "pixel"). I highly advise against using animated sprites, as they have caused issues in the past, and even crashing the game due to lag. 

15 hours ago, Noctelis said:

If it does work, would you mind sending me the file with the .gif sprites?

Good news.....it did work. Since I've got NOTHING to do until E17 comes out, I will be making a folder with .gif sprites. wont work for pulse pokemon in Reborn or dimensional rift pokemon in Rejuvination.....but I can guarantee that it'll be satisfying.

16 hours ago, Fantastic Mr. Fox said:

If you're looking to replace sprites, they need to be set at a 2x resolution (2 pixels per "pixel"). I highly advise against using animated sprites, as they have caused issues in the past, and even crashing the game due to lag. 

On 11/2/2017 at 10:15 AM, Combat said:

I mean, I've changed a few sprites here and there. As long as you rename the sprites to the appropriate file, it should work. I'm not sure if a .gif file would work though.

I guess I posted this in the wrong section, so I've been given a warning. but I was wondering..... If I started another topic to ask for others' help so that I can make a .gif sprite folder, it wouldn't be a problem, right? I mean, does it break the Reborn community rules and stuff?

4 hours ago, Arnab Fouzder said:

I guess I posted this in the wrong section, so I've been given a warning. but I was wondering..... If I started another topic to ask for others' help so that I can make a .gif sprite folder, it wouldn't be a problem, right? I mean, does it break the Reborn community rules and stuff?

Breaking the rules? No, it really shouldn't. Quite a few people change sprites here and there simply to add some spice to the game, and since this is only an aesthetic change, there's no real harm to anyone else's games.

11 minutes ago, Combat said:

Breaking the rules? No, it really shouldn't. Quite a few people change sprites here and there simply to add some spice to the game, and since this is only an aesthetic change, there's no real harm to anyone else's games.

Ah.... I guess I can try to help some guys out then. thanks! 

I've been wondering this myself

I once tried messing with a shiny sprite simply because I wanted to see if I could

It worked, except there was a white background I couldn't get rid of

I used Paint so I don't know if that's why or if I messed something up

21 minutes ago, uberle said:

I've been wondering this myself

I once tried messing with a shiny sprite simply because I wanted to see if I could

It worked, except there was a white background I couldn't get rid of

I used Paint so I don't know if that's why or if I messed something up

I think paint just adds the background by default. 

This is what I found from a quick google search: https://appuals.com/ms-paint-turn-white-background-transparent/

Otherwise, you could try other painting software (I use paint brush, and it works great) :)