My team

TheTGU

So, I've been playing this game for some time now and noticed the high difficulty.

I just beat Radomus, though I needed multiple attempts.

For some battles I had to use unconventional methods, like setting up a pokemon with x-items and using a ton of healing items to stall.

(I had to stall Radomus' Gardevoir until it was out of PP, because it was faster than every pokemon I have and one-hitted everything...)

So, my question is:

What do you think about my team? (Or to be more precise: What would you change?)

(I know that I don't neccesarily have the best pokemon on my team)

(Number, Species, Level, Gender, Nature, Ability, Attacks, Item, EVs/IVs)

Note: I didn't look for good natures, EVs and IVs.

I didn't use any PP ups so far.

I don't have an HM slave and I REALLY don't want to make one.

1: Feraligatr, 56, m, Relaxed, Sheer Force

1. Ice Fang | 2. Crunch | 3. Water Gun (I REALLY need surf xD) | 4. Agility (I never used it, though...)

Icicle Plate

HP: 33/2 | Attack: 123/20 | Defense: 66/3 | Sp. Atk: 57/16 | Sp. Def: 31/23 | Speed: 67/29

2: Meowstic, 56, f, Calm, Competitive

1. Signal Beam | 2. Psychic | 3. Charge Beam | 4. Shadow Ball

TwistedSpoon

HP: 46/29 | Attack: 78/11 | Defense: 41/0 | Sp. Atk: 96/20 | Sp. Def: 35/29 | Speed: 59/10

3: Roserade, 54, m, Mild, Poison Point

1. Mega Drain (I don't know what happened to Giga Drain D:) | 2. Toxic | 3. Cut | 4. Petal Blizzard

Miracle Seed

HP: 18/12 | Attack: 63/23 | Defense: 24/31 | Sp. Atk: 36/8 | Sp. Def: 18/31 | Speed: 40/31

4: Unfezant, 55, f, Serious, Super Luck

1. Feather Dance | 2. Air Slash | 3. Roost | 4. Facade

None

HP: 24/1 | Attack: 79/28 | Defense: 49/12 | Sp. Atk: 55/4 | Sp. Def: 17/29 | Speed: 35/21

5: Arcanine, 55, f, Jolly, Intimidate

1. Crunch | 2. Close Combat | 3. Rock Smash | 4. Flamethrower

Charcoal

HP: 14/4 | Attack: 35/10 | Defense: 22/24 | Sp. Atk: 89/17 | Sp. Def: 20/17 | Speed: 29/19

6: Dusclops, 55, f, Lax, Pressure

1. Strength | 2. Curse | 3. Flash | 4. Shadow Punch

HP: 13/14 | Attack: 47/15 | Defense: 33/12 | Sp. Atk: 31/0 | Sp. Def: 24/21 | Speed: 19/16

(As far as I know you get the reaper cloth on route 2. How long is it going to take until I reach it?)

So, that's my team of flaws xD

When I play through any Pokemon game I never look for good natures, abilities, IVs and EVs, though this game is quite challenging...

I often have no choice but to use x-items, as I often face enemies, who outspeed every single of my Pokemon and one-hit everything...

Any suggestions (that don't involve breeding or excessive grinding) 

Edited by TheTGU
Unfezant just learnt facade!

Your Feraligatr actually isnt that bad.

Doesnt need Surf but it needs Waterfall instead, to take advantage of sheer force. 

Would've been good if it had the DragonDance egg move but for now it can work :)

Meowstic is up for consideration. 

The reason why I would leave her in is because she can learn Trick Room. Trick room would really help with your "speed problems", if she can get it off. 

Though a Male Meowstic with Prankster would've been better..this can work for now. 

I'm personally not a huge fan of Roserade in this game. Back in the day when Shade would give Shadow Ball TM I would've said differently. + in upcoming Gyms Roserade is not going to be of much help. 

I also really love Dusclops but this particular one is...not that great. 3rd One I would boot would be unfezant. It just isnt going to work much.

Now bear with me, I need to think what could replace them post Radomus. 

-----

I dont think your team needs a Magneton/Magnezone right now, though it could be usefull to have once you get to Agate (more so what comes after), so I would look into a Magneton if you have the time. 

If You're going for the trickroom "Gimmick" I'd also recommend Granbull.

One of its main problems is its speed. But otherwise its quite strong.

Granbulls "STAB" does come a little late (L43) - Play Rough, but it also gets acces to Close Combat, Crunch and any of the 3 elemental fangs. 

So overall he can cover quite abit. His typing and utility is quite usefull for the few upcoming gyms.

Ideally a Gardevoir would be a better pick (even possibly replacing Meowstic) but im not sure if you can get her yet at this point, unless Wondertrade/playertrade.

Hawlucha/Braviary can replace Unfezant once you get to Agate. My preference would be a Hawlucha over Braviary but thats up to you.

My brain is abit stumped for any further info. Just consider what you potentially want to know about the upcoming gyms and prepare for it.

Once you get to Agate Circus you'll be stuck there for a while so its better to prepare beforehand.

Okay, thanks for the help. I'll replace Dusclops (it's my worst pokemon in the team, anyway, it can't beat anything...) Though I really want a pokemon with a type I rarely use in my playthroughs. (Dragon, Ghost, Ice and Steel)

So Magnezone could be an option, though it would involve grinding (and where's its evolution location in this game?)

My Unfezant is my second worst pokemon, so it could be replaced as well. I'll probably replace it with braviary, once I get it.

My Roserade is decent, though it's movepool is not the best (cut and mega drain...)

I'm thinking about a good poison type as a replacement.

I like Meowstic, though it really doesn't do all that much damage for a psychic type.

Though it was my only option for some fights, but that is probably only the case, because my team is overall not the best...

Gardevoir could be an option, but I don't know, when you can get it.

I know, that Ralts is in the corrupted pokeball, but I don't know, when and where you can open it.

Feraligatr and Arcanine will stay, they're doing great.

Edit: I got ralts, though I'll reset until I get one that is at least decent.

Galade would also be an option...

Edited by TheTGU

24 minutes ago, TheTGU said:

Okay, thanks for the help. I'll replace Dusclops (it's my worst pokemon in the team, anyway, it can't beat anything...) Though I really want a pokemon with a type I rarely use in my playthroughs. (Dragon, Ghost, Ice and Steel)

So Magnezone could be an option, though it would involve grinding (and where's its evolution location in this game?)

My Unfezant is my second worst pokemon, so it could be replaced as well. I'll probably replace it with braviary, once I get it.

My Roserade is decent, though it's movepool is not the best (cut and mega drain...)

I'm thinking about a good poison type as a replacement.

I like Meowstic, though it really doesn't do all that much damage for a psychic type.

Though it was my only option for some fights, but that is probably only the case, because my team is overall not the best...

Gardevoir could be an option, but I don't know, when you can get it.

I know, that Ralts is in the corrupted pokeball, but I don't know, when and where you can open it.

Feraligatr and Arcanine will stay, they're doing great.

Edit: I got ralts, though I'll reset until I get one that is at least decent.

Galade would also be an option...

Magnezone can be evolved way late..Magneton can still really work. 

Galade is an option if you dont want to use Gardevoir. Has his own strengths ( and weaknesses). 

My problem with Roserade is that you cant really give it a decent poison move. Unless its like..Toxic spikes in combination with Venoshock.

Good Poison types are -> Crobat / Drapion / Dragalge / Nidoking/Queen. Crobat can be really good instead of Braviary now that I think of it. Especially because it can get both STABS in Crosspoison/AirSlash.

If you're considering a Trick Room team I would go with Dragalge. 

Nidoking/Queen with SheerForce can also be really strong. 

Magnezone actually isn't THAT far away for me, apparently you can get it once you reach Luna's gym.

I'll use Gardevoir, I already got a fairly decent one. (+speed - sp. def, IVs 28/8/24/25/20/4 (only thing that botrhers me is the 4 on speed, 8 on attack doesn't matter, as gardevoir is a special attacker. My idea for the movepool: Psychic, Moon Blast, Calm Mind, Trick Room)

The fact that Roserade can't really learn good poison moves is my problem, too.

I actually thought of Crobat when speaking of good poison types, I used it on my Pokemon Moon playthrough and it was great.

But also, due to this, I'd prefer something else, as I prefer to have unique teams for every playthrough.

The same thing applies to Nidoking. (Used it in the 1st gen)

So it's Dragalge or Drapion.

Drapion is too fast for a trick room team.

So it's Dragalge.

So my team:

Feraligtr

Meowstic --> Gardevoir

Arcanine

Dusclops --> Magnezone

Roserade -->Dragalge

Unfezant --> Braviary

So, I'll think about movepools and items for Magnezone, Dragalge and Braviary.

(Maybe draco plate for dragalge?)

I wonder if the team is slow enough for a trick room team?

Correct me if im wrong but as of episode 16 you cant get magnezone until very late game. Access to place where you evo magnezone has been postponed in ep. 16

Unfortunately, you prolly evo'ed roselia too early as she learns giga drain, toxic spikes, toxic and venoshock (via tm). Furthermore, you can breed sleep powder or leech seed on it fairly easily. Its a good spe def check + reliable spikes setter (imo). She definitely made my life easier in one of my reborn playthroughs. Also, imo, Braviary<Hawlucha - access to swords dance, roost, good STAB combination and awesome speed tier makes it a very threatening setup sweeper (or you can go for fetherdance/roost combo to render enemy attack useless and setup other mon on powerless physical attacker)

Edited by Nordling
Typo

5 minutes ago, TheTGU said:

Magnezone actually isn't THAT far away for me, apparently you can get it once you reach Luna's gym.

Sadly this is no longer the case.In episode 15,you could get magnezone once you reach Luna's gym.

But in episode 16,you can only get it after the 13th gym.

1 minute ago, TheTGU said:

Oh, then I'll have to think about something else...

Or I'll use a magneton, if it's not too bad.

I used magneton in reborn hardcore playthrough and it was becoming a liability after Noel. Poor BST unfortunately, although nice movepool. If you want a reliable steel type I highly recommend escavalier 

Also, if you want to have poison I recommend to return to byxbysion wasteland and find hidden black sludge there. Good recovery item for 'em. I cant remember exactly where it is but I am 100% sure that you can easily find answe to this soemwhere on the forum/youtube

Edited by Nordling

Magneton is fine until you can get Magnezone due to the upcoming matchups with leaders/other important characters, so don't let that dissuade you. Escavalier and Steelix are also very fine picks.

You're close to getting Abra I believe. That could replace Meowstic. Alternatively, Gardevoir and Reuniclus are great Psychic types as well.

Unfezant can be replaced... by pretty much any other flying type. Braviary, Staraptor and Hawlucha can be obtained soon, Crobat is also a solid choice though you'll notice it fall off around the 12th badge or so due to its rather low power.

Roserade is amazing, though you should try breeding another and evolving it later. Toxic Spikes by level up and Venoshock by TM, Magical Leaf by level up (it has Technician, so this is basically Energy Ball with 20 PP!!) or alternatively Giga Drain to survive longer, and then a filler move - Spikes by breeding with Cacnea, Extrasensory with Nuzleaf, Leaf Storm with Shiftry, Hidden Power by TM (basically a Surf of any type due to Technician; you can try breeding for one you like - I recommend Fire, Fighting, Water, Rock, or Ground), or whatever else strikes your fancy.

Once you can obtain Kingdra, get Dragon Dance on it and breed with Feraligatr so Feraligatr gets Dragon Dance. Other than that, teach it Water Pledge (tutor in the Lapis Ward) while waiting for Surf, and replace Surf once you get Aqua Tail or Waterfall (whichever comes first). Waterfall is stronger due to Sheer Force so teach that once you get it. You can also teach it Ice Punch via Move Tutor later down the line.

Arcanine would benefit from Thunder Fang, Flare Blitz, Extremespeed, or Outrage in place of Rock Smash. Also, I personally prefer Heat Wave over Flamethrower to further focus on Arcanine's dominance over double battles.

Other generally good 'mons near your point in the game (or well before it) include Vaporeon/Sylveon/Espeon/Jolteon, Nidoking/queen, Mienshao, Typhlosion, Hitmonlee/chan, Machamp, Sharpedo, Houndoom, Gigalith grab it before e17 makes it rarer because of Sand Stream and Noivern.

Edited by Seel The Deal

Well, thanks for the help.

I'll get Magneton once I levelled up my Gardevoir and Dragalge to a point, where they can actually be used.

Magneton will replace Dusclops.

I already saw the abra, though I prefer Gardevoir over Alakazam, due to Gardevoir being a dual type. (I like dual-types more than mono-types in general)

I actually had toxic spikes on Roserade, but I replaced it with toxic, because I barely used it. (Though it's a great attack...)

It also had Magical Leaf, but I was stupid and forgot about Technician. (It had another ability, I could've used an ability capsule, though...)

But then again, I really don't want to breed for a casual playthrough, well, I don't breed at all, because I don't have the time for making competitive teams...

Oh, and where do you get venoshock? D:

But it really doesn't matter, as I replaced Roserade with Dragalge.

The same thing with breeding applies to Feraligatr. (But I have to admit, dragon dance on Feraligatr sounds sweet...)

The reasson why Arcanine has rock smash is because I don't want to have hm slaves. (And yes, I know it's stupid from a teambuilding side of view)

The reasson I don't have flare blitz on it is that as a Growlithe it was too weak and I really needed the evolution for a hard battle.

Unfezant will be replaced with Braviary, once I have it.

I hope my team is slow enough for a trick room setup. (I don't think it is)

The average base speed of the Pokemon of my final team should be around 80, with Arcanine (95 base) being the fastest and Magnezone (once it evolves) being the slowest (60).

Edited by TheTGU

He's in the house where you get Mime Jr. It's on the end of the bridge to Lapis Ward and the Grand Staircase. Just to the left, underneath the 'transit room' to Lapis Ward

1 minute ago, TheTGU said:

That sounds great!

Short question: Where's the guy, that let's you forget moves?

I already asked myself if HM moves are treated differently xD

So, now I have to think about a new move for Feraligatr and Arcanine (once I get out of that stealth section, that is... I can't find a way out D:)

Edit: I found a hidden room, so I'm no longer stuck :D

Edited by TheTGU

2 minutes ago, TheTGU said:

I already asked myself if HM moves are treated differently xD

So, now I have to think about a new move for Feraligatr and Arcanine (once I get out of that stealth section, that is... I can't find a way out D:)

Edit: I found a hidden room, so I'm no longer stuck :D

I personally use Feraligatr in my current Reborn hardcore playthrough and agility actually comes in handy very often. If enemy outspeeds you, use agility and on next turn you go first. If you manage to KO your opponent's mon, then you are sure to also outspeed his next mon with that +2 speed that said, DDance is sooooo much better.

Okay, Arcanine will probably get one of the elemental fangs, I'm thinking of either fire or thunder fang.

Feraligatr will get agility.

But...

You REALLY make me tempted to actually take the effort and breed one with dragon dance...

But it would take so much time...

First, I have to breed Feraligatr with Ditto until I get a female one.

Then I have to get a male pokemon, that can breed with Feraligatr and knows dragon dance.

The worst part is the time eggs take to breed...

And then I have to level the Totodile up...

Edited by TheTGU

2 hours ago, TheTGU said:

Okay, Arcanine will probably get one of the elemental fangs, I'm thinking of either fire or thunder fang.

Feraligatr will get agility.

But...

You REALLY make me tempted to actually take the effort and breed one with dragon dance...

But it would take so much time...

First, I have to breed Feraligatr with Ditto until I get a female one.

Then I have to get a male pokemon, that can breed with Feraligatr and knows dragon dance.

The worst part is the time eggs take to breed...

And then I have to level the Totodile up...

I have a female totodile, if you want to trade.

Thanks for the offer.

You can send me a PM once you can trade. (Totodile)

I'd love to have a Magnezone on my team, I would've taken Magneton anyway.

I can't trade at the moment, I can trade in ~3+ hours.

(Does someone by chance know the easiest way to get a pokemon with dragon dance pre-luna?

If not I'll just look it up)

Thanks for all the help :)

5 minutes ago, TheTGU said:

Thanks for the offer.

You can send me a PM once you can trade. (Totodile)

I'd love to have a Magnezone on my team, I would've taken Magneton anyway.

I can't trade at the moment, I can trade in ~3+ hours.

(Does someone by chance know the easiest way to get a pokemon with dragon dance pre-luna?

If not I'll just look it up)

Thanks for all the help :)

You need the horsea or dratini or axew line with dragon dance.

So unless you have one of this,you will most likely need to ask in Online play.

The quickest method is just ask Zarc in his topic in online play.

If you still neeed some advice:

Golurk did a ton for me throughout the whole game, its Ground-STAB moves are amazing (earthquake) his attack stat is amazing and he is fairly bulky. Secondly, when you have trouble with a particular pokemon all you need to do is "curse" him (if you can get it off, sometimes you need to paralyze the opponent...)