Can I just say...

OculusDrake

How happy I am to see a nonbinary protagonist option and a nonbinary character (though it'd be cool if there was more than one, honestly just one is so much more than I usually get) in your game?  Like, thank you so much, Ame, I never thought that the famous 'edgy difficult pokemon fangame' could like, be inclusive to people like me.  It's just.  Almost overwhelming, yaknow?

Thank you.

Thank you so much.

TEEEEECHNICALLY

Spoiler

The next episode shuts down the "are you a boy, girl, or neither" question in favor of an "appearance" system with the six available protagonist sprites. You will pick the sprite you want to play as, and then assign the gender yourself, meaning that Vero (the former white, male protagonist) could identify as a boy, a girl, or neither, depending on the player's preference, without meaning that the player has to pick a different sprite or replace sprite files manually to make it happen.

TL:DR, The player character's gender is totally determined by the player - giving the player four more sprite options for the gender they wish to identify as. More customization.

As someone who is uninterested in talking about emerging gender identifiers or lack there of - I would say this is cutting edge game customization and appreciate it in the Reborn region's own reality. It also takes the focus away from "gender" and more on "appearance" - which I feel is what players today "really" care about. In a Pokemon game, the gender symbol isn't a sign of emerging identity or any sort of struggle, it's just a symbol. It shouldn't be restricted to specific appearances, because that effectively pigeon-holes non-binary individuals into a specific "appearance", which probably isn't a realistic portrayal of a NB person.

On 10/23/2017 at 8:49 PM, Chase said:

TEEEEECHNICALLY

Hide contents

The next episode shuts down the "are you a boy, girl, or neither" question in favor of an "appearance" system with the six available protagonist sprites. You will pick the sprite you want to play as, and then assign the gender yourself, meaning that Vero (the former white, male protagonist) could identify as a boy, a girl, or neither, depending on the player's preference, without meaning that the player has to pick a different sprite or replace sprite files manually to make it happen.

TL:DR, The player character's gender is totally determined by the player - giving the player four more sprite options for the gender they wish to identify as. More customization.

As someone who is uninterested in talking about emerging gender identifiers or lack there of - I would say this is cutting edge game customization and appreciate it in the Reborn region's own reality. It also takes the focus away from "gender" and more on "appearance" - which I feel is what players today "really" care about. In a Pokemon game, the gender symbol isn't a sign of emerging identity or any sort of struggle, it's just a symbol. It shouldn't be restricted to specific appearances, because that effectively pigeon-holes non-binary individuals into a specific "appearance", which probably isn't a realistic portrayal of a NB person.

Holy.

Crap.

Ame, is the BEST and I realllly love her now omg like.  omg.

I'm just so happy just, thank you Ame so much!!!!