Steam games under 20

SuperNova

First things first, don't buy any games until the steam Halloween sales starts next Friday, at which point every single game will be at least 50% off and many even 75% off.

Now on to the games, I'm not exactly sure how good your PC is, but I'll try to mention some games that are good but not too demanding.
- Valkyria Chronicles: a wonderful tactical JRPG game that in a World War I'esque world with a charming cast of characters, great gameplay and an intriguing and at times heartbreaking story. Overall a very good game. 20$ atm. possibly $ next week.
- Final Fantasy 6+9: not much needs to be said about these 2 legendary games, both considered among the best JRPG's ever made, and by some among the best video games ever made. They'll probably be about $10 next week. Do note that Final Fantasy 6 has a slightly bad port, and is probably better played on an emulator.
- Tales of Symphonia: a charming adventure story with a lovable cast of characters that quickly spirals into a deconstruction of the hero's journey, and gets incredibly dark and poignant with his messages, all wrapped around a great world, fascinating characters and a really fun action RPG combat system. Overall a ton of fun! Probably $10 next week, perhaps 5.

Again there are there games like, Disgaea, Trials of Cold Steel and Hyper Dimensional Girl: Neptunia, but I consider those inferior to those 3 mentioned.

edit: remember that you can always refund the game within 2 hours of playtime, if your computer isn't beefy enough to play it. So don't be afraid of buying a game, since you can always refund it. 

Edited by Tartar

2 hours ago, SuperNova said:

Well, do you guys know any good rpg for steam. Possibly FF and under 20 bucks.

Note I have a laptop for now soooo, pls sth not so demanding.

Thanks.

Depends on what you have played already. But as earlier said, it might be better to wait until sales (or E17).

Technically speaking, Bastion is a hack and slash RPG, so that might work. I kind of depends on how you define RPG. I'd also recommend; Terraira, Don't Starve, and Crypt of the Necordancer, though these are either survival or rogue like RPGs.

I'd also recommend Valkyria Chronicles (it has a sequel but idk if that's on steam). It's a tactical rpg like FE, but with social elements that are a little akin to FE and persona, but has fps shooter elements, which is just basically allowing you to take aim at your target to change accuracy chances (whether you go for headshot, body shot, or aiming at specific points on vehicles. Definitely an enjoyable game that presents a good challenge.

39 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

What about FF?

If your talking about Final Fantasy, I found that Four was the most enjoyable one for me. Granted I never beat it because I triggered a point of no return we under-leveled. I did beat Seven, and had fun, but had a hard time enjoying it fully because of how over rated I feel it is. (Yes, its a good game, but nostalgia should only go so far.) Eight was kind of good, but I never understood how to junction properly. Ten had the best game play (more akin to a classical turn based RPG, instead of the wind up combat in most of the recent ones), but by God the English voice acting is terrible for the protagonist, that I lost the will to play it.

20 hours ago, Combat said:

Technically speaking, Bastion is a hack and slash RPG, so that might work. I kind of depends on how you define RPG. I'd also recommend; Terraira, Don't Starve, and Crypt of the Necordancer, though these are either survival or rogue like RPGs.

If mentioning Bastion, Transistor should get mentioned too (same studio, 'similar' gameplay).

37 minutes ago, laggless01 said:

If mentioning Bastion, Transistor should get mentioned too (same studio, 'similar' gameplay).

I'd only recommend Transistor if you like Bastion, but aren't disappointed by it not being Bastion. I enjoy it well enough, but it's not the same.

Also, I'm also throwing a vote in for Stardew. It's getting multiplayer eventually, so that might make it worth looking into.

On 10/20/2017 at 4:42 PM, Tartar said:

Again there are there games like, Disgaea, Trials of Cold Steel and Hyper Dimensional Girl: Neptunia, but I consider those inferior to those 3 mentioned

tenor.gif

Trials of Cold Steel is an odd game as you'll either love it or really, really hate it. It gets dull at moments but it really is a game as good as you invest into it (though it is phase two of the series). As for Disgaea, you can't really compare it to other games but it has a steep learning curve from what I've seen but I'll eventually get to trying it out since I have 3. Definitely looks like a really fun game. As for Hyperdimension Neptunia, don't bother with that one as it's kind of lackluster and as the series goes on it does less and less satire and more fan-service (if you go into that though I'd really only recommend Fairy Fencer F DAF from Compile Hearts).

The issue here is that you don't give me much to work off of. Final Fantasy is a series that just varies from game to game with all of them having the ups and downs. Without any context, I'd push for playing Final Fantasy X first as overall it is the one with a lot of good and fun mechanics to mess around with such as party swapping mid battle. FF IX is my favorite followed by FFV, but both of those have things that can really off-put players as FFV has a job system (which is amazing) and FFIX has wonky party member stuff and a terrible stealing mechanic. FFVI personally is far from my favorite, but I understand why a lot of people really like it (not a fan of the magic system).

Some other games that came to my mind are FFviii pc and tales of Zestiria and Berseria, I've heard FFviii has an excelent port for the pc and the other two need no explenation, what do you think, are they too demanding and worth to play?

Edited by SuperNova

Considering you're looking at FF things, you'll probably have zero interest in my suggestions but I'm gonna suggest them anyways because it can't hurt.

It's precisely $20 ATM but sales will be soon, so have my favorite game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/368340/CrossCode/

It's early access but, imo, already worth and updates regularly.

There's also the Hyperdimension Neptunia series which I think is great, but leans more expensive. Also the first two are eh but the later ones lean a lot on previous material so they're tough to skip. If you're fine with that, try jumping in at Hyperdevotion Noire (although I forget the pricetag on that so it might be >$20), it's not exactly the typical Nep game but it's the most fun imo.

I also think Cosmic Star Heroine is a good game, but I've only watched gameplay and don't own it myself yet. I'm told it's similar to Chrono Trigger, but I've never played Chrono Trigger either so... Anyways, it's $15.

Side mentions for Moekuri and Rabi-Ribi which are both adorable but pretty irrelevant here.

I'd like to remind everyone that Nova is looking for JRPG's, which is all things considered a very very specific genre, and the majority of suggestions so far have been games that have taken inspiration from JRPG's but are no way to RPG's in gameplay.

9 hours ago, Tartar said:

I'd like to remind everyone that Nova is looking for JRPG's

They didn't specify JRPG, just RPG. You can infer that they take interest in JRPGs from the fact that they like FF and therefore JRPGs make good suggestions. But at no point have they specified or corrected that they are exclusively interested in JRPGs.

And without that specification, RPG becomes a very broad category very fast. Although I confess I question how Roguelites came up.

4 hours ago, Yonomori Benio said:

They didn't specify JRPG, just RPG. You can infer that they take interest in JRPGs from the fact that they like FF and therefore JRPGs make good suggestions. But at no point have they specified or corrected that they are exclusively interested in JRPGs.

And without that specification, RPG becomes a very broad category very fast. Although I confess I question how Roguelites came up.

Huh, I guess I must have missed that for some reason, I must've equated RPG with JRPG since she mentioned Final Fantasy.