Idea for a small and short pokemon game

Generic fanmade game that is pretty much straight to the point of battling the champion. No story or evil team

Choose your first pokemon, having 2 rivals, battling gym leaders, elite fours and some funny dialougue

Here's the catch: 13 gym leaders (one of them a double battle of fairy and dragon) and 4 elite fours, each with their own type 

All of them have 6 pokemon. BUT, at their last pokemon, they will activate a special power/perk/ability/whatever that is called a "FINAL STAND" to bring you down to your knees and beg for mercy

here's 3 examples:

JACQUE
“The Shocking Genius”

Type: Electric

Pokemon:

Luxio
Rotom
Charjabug
Voltorb
Flaffy
Magneton*

Final Stand: Electrocutes the floor, causing all the player’s pokemon to be paralyzed and deal small damage

BLAKE
“The Dare Devil”

Type: Dark

Pokemon:

Zorua
Cacturne
Inkay
Scraggy
Absol
Honchkrow*

Final Stand: Shines light at the player’s pokemon and all the next ones upon entering battle, reducing their accuracy by 2 points

CHRIS
“The Psionic Physician”

Type: Psychic

Pokemon:

Sigilyph
Claydol
Slowking
Espeon
Alakazam
Xatu*

Final Stand: The reality warps in the battlefield, causing the player to keep switching with other ally pokemon after every turn. If one of the player’s pokemon has attacks that is super effective against Xatu, that pokemon only has a 20% chance to come out

Edited by aGoodCabinet2

No not at all. You aren't making their pokemon too overpowered, you just give them a onesided challenge-mode. Cool idea, really makes you plan for redundancies to win the battle.

Are you going to have a plot to go with this adventure? Or is it really just a carefree roaming adventure?

16 hours ago, Seel The Deal said:

Cool final stand idea, but does it really have to be as RNG-focused and outright uncompetitive as possible? 6x para, 2x acc drop for the rest of the battle, random switching? Give the player ways to play around it rather than having to go "oh great I got swept because I COULD DO LITERALLY NOTHING"

6x para < a pokemon with lightning rod will be able to absorb all of the electricity, preventing paralysis

2x acc < pokemon with keen eye

random switching < pokemon with suction cups or is held onto with Ingrain

It's up to the players to find ways on how to get around this

Edited by aGoodCabinet2

11 hours ago, aGoodCabinet2 said:

6x para < a pokemon with lightning rod will be able to absorb all of the electricity, preventing paralysis

2x acc < pokemon with keen eye

random switching < pokemon with suction cups or is held onto with Ingrain

It's up to the players to find ways on how to get around this

Electric-absorption abilities are semi-rare and there's no guarantee that if you have a Pokemon that can have one, that it will have one. Same with Keen Eye, but a bit more common. Suction Cups is on very few Pokemon. Ingrain is terrible and if you have to switch (which you likely will because Xatu > Grass Types) it dooms you. Then there's the fact that most of the time these are not desirable abilities. There will be people who look to make sure their Pokemon are at least close enough to 'optimal'. Then there's the problem of the matchup itself - see my Ingrain argument for an example of that.

Not to mention the fact that this doesn't really promote any creativity in strategy. In order to not get haxed to death you would need to ALWAYS have that one 'mon. I've played a lot of fan-made and ROM hacked Pokemon games and I can't think of ANY that are as restrictive during boss battles. Even in the few cases where a battle is restrictive, it's usually not because of insane RNG rolls in the opponent's favor. It's because the battle is overly difficult.

Again, the Final Stand idea is great. I just think it should have reliable counters that one is likely enough to discover and potentially consider raising. Not many people want to raise another Pokemon just to beat a single leader and then put it in the PC forever.

1 hour ago, Seel The Deal said:

Electric-absorption abilities are semi-rare and there's no guarantee that if you have a Pokemon that can have one, that it will have one. Same with Keen Eye, but a bit more common. Suction Cups is on very few Pokemon. Ingrain is terrible and if you have to switch (which you likely will because Xatu > Grass Types) it dooms you. Then there's the fact that most of the time these are not desirable abilities. There will be people who look to make sure their Pokemon are at least close enough to 'optimal'. Then there's the problem of the matchup itself - see my Ingrain argument for an example of that.

Not to mention the fact that this doesn't really promote any creativity in strategy. In order to not get haxed to death you would need to ALWAYS have that one 'mon. I've played a lot of fan-made and ROM hacked Pokemon games and I can't think of ANY that are as restrictive during boss battles. Even in the few cases where a battle is restrictive, it's usually not because of insane RNG rolls in the opponent's favor. It's because the battle is overly difficult.

Again, the Final Stand idea is great. I just think it should have reliable counters that one is likely enough to discover and potentially consider raising. Not many people want to raise another Pokemon just to beat a single leader and then put it in the PC forever.

I actually made this game idea because i hate competitive players lol

Edited by aGoodCabinet2