Watch out, it's a rabid JRPG fan

King Jibral XVI

Okay, jokes aside with that title, I probably at least got someone's attention.

I am Zola, or Jibral, call me whatever you want, I have like 500 names. I have played this game twice before in yearly intervals, and got my ass handed to me at the same time each time I played. *gives finger to pre-second gym Fern*

I'm choosing Oshawott, because bad mistakes will be made, I happen to like Samurott a little too much. I'd like some team recommendations so I can get them before Darkness removes them for being mediocre when they need to be garbage. Please take everything I say with a bit of salt, I love cracking jokes like that. I'm leaning on Hariyama and Swoobat for carrying me through the second gym and living on prayer for the first one. I did it with a water starter before and I'll do it again. Not exactly sure what I beat it with but I'll try. Gotta love that not giving up.

Seriously though some tips would be appreciated.

Howdy ho milord! A most cordial greetings to you sir and a rowdy welcome to the forums of Reborn!

1 hour ago, King Jibral XVI said:

Please take everything I say with a bit of salt, I love cracking jokes like that.

No worries! I'm sure you get along just fine here. As a connoisseur of cheap comedy myself, I always welcome a good laugh.

I can't say there are a whole lot of great 'mon to use early in the game (specifically at the point you described) but I must say, Meowstic is amazing. Considering you have access to an Espurr even before the first gym, I can truly say it was the MVP of my team 'till about the 8th gym. Other than that, you'll just have to make do with some budget 'mon.

Also, might I ask what is your favourite JRPG? Personally I'm a fan of Persona, Final Fantasy, and now that I think about it, I guess Pokemon counts as a JRPG.

Anyways, do enjoy your stay here and see ya 'round!

8 minutes ago, Dragoknight said:

Howdy ho milord! A most cordial greetings to you sir and a rowdy welcome to the forums of Reborn!

No worries! I'm sure you get along just fine here. As a connoisseur of cheap comedy myself, I always welcome a good laugh.

I can't say there are a whole lot of great 'mon to use early in the game (specifically at the point you described) but I must say, Meowstic is amazing. Considering you have access to an Espurr even before the first gym, I can truly say it was the MVP of my team 'till about the 8th gym. Other than that, you'll just have to make do with some budget 'mon.

Also, might I ask what is your favourite JRPG? Personally I'm a fan of Persona, Final Fantasy, and now that I think about it, I guess Pokemon counts as a JRPG.

Anyways, do enjoy your stay here and see ya 'round!

I was already planning on getting Espurr. It and Swoobat will be my MVPs for a while, Woobat's been kicking ass. Noibat too, but I have to set it up a little bit, can't wait for Noivern (even although I know it will take until level 48). It'll probably be meatshield/fodder for a while until then, but I want my bat-dragon dammit. I can make do with budget mon as well, dump everything bar Samurott, Noibat and Meowstic until I get really good Pokemon. I hope I can get Garchomp at some point.

Also thanks in regard to the comedy, I realise I borked up, Darkness didn't make Reborn, Amethyst did.

Oddly, an underappreciated little gem called Blue Dragon. Barely anyone remembers it, but when I find someone who does 60% of the time they're like "Oh my god I loved that anime!". No. Just no. The anime was crap. It was a horrible adaptation, they changed the cinnamon roll into Master Roshi and that is no lie. 35% of the time they're like "That game was awesome, nostalgia days." and the other 5% are angry Final Fantasy fans that were pissed that Sakaguchi and Uematsu ditched Square Enix to make it. Reason why nobody remembers it is because it was not marketed here at all. If you did not follow the Final Fantasy series online you did not know it existed, and people didn't like it because angry Final Fantasy fans. Only reason I own it is because my brother got it in an Xbox 360 bundle and went "Ew Japanese" and gave it to me because I liked dragons. We both benefitted from that exchange, even if it took me a few years to beat the first boss because 6 year olds can't play JRPGs that have more depth than an ashtray. I'm probably rambling, but if you can suffer through a game where the only characters that have consistently good voice acting are the two female leads (You've got Izzy from Digimon hitting puberty, the smart childhood friend and ear rape for the dudes) then go ahead. I happen to find a charm in all of them, and the main villain sounds like Herbert the Pervert for the first two disks so you have that going for it, Jibral's got a good voice actor, but they made up for his character not having great facial emotion by having him wave his arms about like a wacky wavy inflatable arm flailing tube man and it's amazing. Everyone for the most part has static facial expressions minus randomy changes of their eyebrows (the ear rape character has a functioning mouth that can smile, frown and do expression because he is basically Brock, he has line eyes, they had to make up for it somehow.) For image of Jibral see profile picture. Game is designed by Toriyama, it's for Xbox 360 and is backwards compatible. Game looks very pretty even today, especially in the pre-rendered CGI cutscenes where the characters actually have facial expressions.

TL;DR - Dragon Ball's Bizarre Adventure with kooky voice acting and facial animations

I have spoken too much, but hopefully you get a laugh out of that or even better, play the game. I wouldn't expect it to live up to Persona or Final Fantasy but it holds a very, very special place in my heart for some reason. Don't ask me about this game unless you WANT me to slam you with a word wall.