Fire Emblem on the Forums: Deceitful Turnabout [IC]

Aurorix

Prologue: Rescued by Darkness 

Year 1468, 27th of Nitren 

The sun rises once again and you are dragged out of your cells. Another day of grueling work lies ahead of you. The sun beats down on your back as you work tirelessly on the Temple. Occasionally people drop collapse onto the floor but are quickly whipped into shape. Some are dragged off, too weak to work and unfit to waste resources on, but the tower is nearing completion. Some who have been there from the beginning say that it took almost a year and a half to get it this far. Rumors fly by as you work, the inner most parts of the temple have been blocked off. Only high up commanders and mages seem to ever go in and out if that area. People can't help but wonder what will happen to them. Will the be set free once the structure is complete? Will they be sent to a new site to continue their labor? Will they all be killed as to not tarnish the kingdom's name? Either way the has set and everyone is sent back to their cells. Dinner arrives and its the same as always: a bowl of potato and bean soup, a small loaf of bread, and a cup of fresh water. 

However, before dinner was handed to you the guards drag you out of your prison. "You've been transferred to a new cell, you'll be having dinner with your new cellmates there." So they drag you off, your food still in their hands. Your stomach rumbles as the smell of nourishment wafts into your nose. The stars twinkle ever brighter as the new moon rises. Soon you are put into your cell with three others. It's a bit cramped as this cell is obviously smaller than the one you were in previously. If you'd bothered to look around on your way over you'd notice that all the other cells are strangely empty and the amount of guards in the area less than what they usually are.

P8ZsUNt.png

You each sit in your own corner dinner in your laps. Will you strike up conversation or just sit in silence while eating?

(Feel free to chat with the guard or with eachother while the map gets its finishing touches ready.)

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doran stared down at the food in his lap, mind racing. He'd only been captured a few weeks back, and while a part of him still hoped for escape, at the end of the day, he was left realizing that no one cared enough about a wandering vagabond orphan enough to help him be freed. Truly all he could hope for was maybe some day being promoted to guard. At least that way he wouldn't be killing his body through the work, even if it meant trading his soul.

Stuffing a piece of the bread into his mouth, he glanced around at his companions. A strange mix it seemed, with a small girl and two other guys, but who was he to question it. Swallowing, he finally spoke up,

FQz6uvl.png

"You'd have thought they could give us a bigger cell for all four of us. Or maybe even our own cell with how empty things are around here. Probably not a good sign for us to be honest."

Edited by Swordstar

7YQyExq.png

Mercadier only scoffed at the boy's comment, idly picking over his meal "You say that as if any of them actually care. This cell could barely be big enough to fit two slaves sitting shoulder to shoulder, and they'd have still thrown us all in here, simply because it was convenient."

The slop that passed for food was bland, of course. Not that he hadn't grown used to it long ago. He finished it nevertheless- calories were calories here, and if you didn't eat, you couldn't work. And f you would not or could not work, they'd kill you and toss your corpse out to feed the rats without so much as a single bit of hesitation. He knew that much first hand...

jSgGsTJ.png

"You do have a good point though, boy. Either we're about to face a summary execution, or they've got an especially vile work assignment waiting for us... which really isn't any different."

0bhveR1.png

"You would think. . ." The whole situation made her uncomfortable and it was clear on her face. Exhaustion laid heavily on her frame; months of labor tended to do that to a person of her stature, regardless of how resilient training with their father had made them. Not that anything that had transpired since she was snatched from her home could be described as comfortable, but this was especially not so.

0bhveR1.png

"There's no one in the cells around here, though. Isn't that strange?" She tried to think through what purpose that could serve. Jamming a group of people into a cell meant to hold probably half as many people with other empty cells nearby. . . the young mage tried not to jump to any extraordinarily unpleasant conclusions. Being the only girl in the cell was worrying as well, but she couldn't help but flit past that thought into the realm of whispered stories in the dark about ancient and fell magics. . .

jSgGsTJ.png

"Perhaps..." he answered, "the work has only gotten harder, if anything, and naturally some aren't going to be able to keep up. Seeing a few newly empty cells at the end of a day isn't that surprising... though it is odd they'd let this much space go to waste. The last outbreak was months ago, and even then, they were pretty quick to fill up the vacant spots... once they got the corpses cleared out and burned."

Tekeshi himself sort of sat in silence, leaning on the wall behind him heavily while listening to the others. Not because he didn't want to talk, mind you, but he was too busy devouring his bread to actually do so. However, once he was done doing that, and taking a quick drink from his water, he spoke,

bF7MQmNoemAJNGoiyz3MQWYI8G5n6uF9tgLyC15CbrBUnlFrDw_s4HGRIT1dYo_VR_QqF3qH3HQaSUJ00Kg_tOttrZ7Wv_khXEGq4LAu8g6cFKOQsbiZOhx6j8_YzrhZc-kCshSu

"I, personally, noticed how there are a strange lack of guards around here. Before they were practically everywhere, but around here they're... Well, still everywhere, but not as much as before." Tekeshi stated, before pausing, "... Then again, if there isn't much prisoners around here then I guess there isn't much reason to have a lot of guards here" he added with a small shrug before going back to his soup. In all honesty, he'd rather not have to eat, just so he could give the guards a reason to execute him. But the last time he did try that, it didn't end well, so eating was just better for him, in the long run. They COULD afford to get some more tasty food though...

0bhveR1.png

"What if they're trying to. . . minimize witnesses?" she said in a small voice. You didn't need many guards for people about to be killed in some terrible experiment, after all, and she was having a hard time inventing a different reason for the current situation. The combination of physical and mental stress wasn't exactly conducive to the process.

As you finish eating up what food they provided you, two loud sources of snoring started becoming more and more noticeable. The guard in front sighs in annoyance and you see him glancing over to left side. "I know they're watching empty cells but come on. Sleeping on the job is just asking to be thrown into slave work." He shakes his head in disappointment. "I should try and wake them before that happens." The guard speaks to himself. As you see him slowly walking across the iron bars of the cell, you notice black energy tendrils creeping up behind him. Before any of you could even think to warn him, one tendril goes over his mouth and the rest wrap around him. He drops his lance as he struggles to break free but a source of black energy catches it, setting it gently on the ground and even patting it a couple of times like a mother putting her child to sleep. The only thing you hear from him is faint panicked muffling as he's dragged back. Once he's out of view the sounds of struggle persist but for a few moments. Then... silence... except for the sounds of the two men snoring. You all knew what that was, the horror stories told to you as kids described it quite well. It was Dark Magic. 

jVlVv79.png

Soon a hooded man came into view from the side the dark magic came from. He put a single finger to his lips signaling them all to be quite before speaking.

5ndolEO.png

"Keep your mouths shut and pay attention. I've gone through hell to setup this meeting and I'm only going to say this once." The man talked softly, presumably not to attract or wake up any nearby guards.  "I've come to offer you a chance to escape, and be free from this life. No more hard hours of labor or living off tasteless garbage. However, your freedom comes at a price and not the monetary kind. No, what I'm looking for is service. People who fight and die to get a chance to teach that Emperor, Garrot Nox, a lesson and stop this madness." He pauses for a moment.  "You have two options: One, you accept and follow me out of out hellhole or Two, you forget you ever saw me and continue your life of servitude."

njitoR9.png

"Though if you do decide to stay, have fun with explaining what happened to the sad sack over there." He gestures his thumb over to the right side most likely to the man you all saw get dragged away.  "The choice is yours my friends, though I'd suggest hurrying up. I doubt it'll take the guards long to sense something is up."

0bhveR1.png

". . ." Viola froze up when she saw the tendrils drag the man away, a scream caught in the back of her throat. She pressed herself against the back of the cell as he was dragged off by sinister energies. Then the man started whispering his offer to them. She was conflicted; she wanted to get out of this awful place, but wasn't particularly keen on following a practitioner of dark magic in order to do so. Sure, she'd studied magic and it was really up to the person using it rather than any kind being inherently good or evil, but it was hard to shake the stories she'd heard growing up; soldier's superstitions were ingrained fairly deeply in her head. 

Still. . . She forced her head up and down in a nod at the man's offer, shooting the occasional furtive glance at her current cell-mates.

A few seconds before the tendrils had appeared, Doran had sat up straight and started quietly mumbling and then shaking his head. At the sight of the magic, he had shut up but a small smile had crossed his face before disappearing again. Standing up, he walked to the door and held out a hand.

FQz6uvl.png

"I'm in. Let's get out of here."

bF7MQmNoemAJNGoiyz3MQWYI8G5n6uF9tgLyC15CbrBUnlFrDw_s4HGRIT1dYo_VR_QqF3qH3HQaSUJ00Kg_tOttrZ7Wv_khXEGq4LAu8g6cFKOQsbiZOhx6j8_YzrhZc-kCshSu

"Might be the case, who knows. At least we won't be wasting our lives on whatever-" Tekeshi responds to the mage... Only to pause at the sounds of struggle right outside the cell door, causing him to quickly stand up to look out, just as the guard was being dragged past the door. For a second, Tekeshi looked on in utter bafflement, specifically at the sight of DARK MAGIC, of all things. He was a merc, not someone who dealt with magic much, but even he knew what he was looking at it, and to be honest... It sort of worried him.

That worry was not relieved when the hooded man suddenly came into view, though Tekeshi did get the message of being quiet, listening through their entire speech before shrugging,

"Well, all things considered, I'd rather not do any more back breaking labor here. Since you're offering it, I'd love to get out of this place and give that Dastard my opinions on the whole abduction thing" Tekeshi stated, making sure to keep his voice quiet, though loud enough for the hooded man to hear him. All honesty, there weren't much reasons to deny... Whoever this guy was in this situation. It was either leave, or sign your death wish, and while Tekeshi WOULD'VE rather died instead of being stuck here, he'd also rather live than die.

Edited by GodofGamingRWBY

jSgGsTJ.png

"Well, so you're behind all these oddities, then..." the knight muttered. Unlike his cellmates, he didn't really care what type of magic the man wielded; it was quite hard to ever find reason to fear the arcane when your mount dampened it's power so heavily. He'd seen it all before, in one form or another. "I don't know who you are or how you set this up, but I don't really care either..."

Xr2utS0.png

"This isn't how I ever expected to break out of here, but it's probably better than anything I could've put together. You had me sold as soon as you mentioned going after Nox."

QZJJgHC.png

A smirk grew on the rogue's face after hearing their responses. He assumed one of them would get terrified enough of the dark arts to refuse. Thankfully he was wrong. He unlocked the door and tossed in a brown sack. Weapons and medicine flew out. A vulnerary for everyone, a hatchet, a slim sword, a fire spell book and finally a... wait. It seems he forgot to bring a lance for the Mercadier, but then he noticed the lance the guard had. He picked it up and tossed it in.

5ndolEO.png

"You're gonna need these. Now quickly get out! Up the hallway there should be a door you can't miss it, head in there! We'll talk about the rest of the plan once we're in a safer location."  

qm5WQCp.png

Win Condition: All Escape to Point X (A6) or Route the enemy

Lose Condition: All party members die

Cheat Sheet:

Enemies: Health, Location, Weapon
Journeyman A: (20/20) (I2) Hatchet (35/35) 
Journeyman B: (20/20) (C2) Hatchet (35/35)
Journeyman C: (20/20) (B8) Hatchet (35/35)
Recruit A: (20/20) (K2) Slim Lace (35/35) 
Recruit B: (20/20) (F5) Slim Lace (35/35)
Recruit C: (0/20) (K10) Slim Lace (35/35) (Droppable)
Initiate A: (18/18) (F7) Slim Sword (35/35)
Initiate B: (18/18) (C10) Slim Sword (35/35)
Initiate C: (18/18) (B4) Slim Sword (35/35)

Players: Health, Location, Weapon
Doran Kearn: (20/20) (K8) Hatchet (35/35) Vulnerary (3/3)
Mercadier: (18/18) (I8) Slim Lace (35/35) Vulnerary (3/3)
Tekeshi: (18/18) (J8) Slim Sword (35/35) Vulnerary (3/3)
Viola Sonnen: (17/17) (I9) Fire (40/40) Vulnerary (3/3)

Allies: Health, Location, Weapon
???: (19/19) (J9) Bolo Knife -1 (40/40) Flux (39/40) Vulnerary (3/3) Lockpick (14/15)

EXP:
5/100

Doran took the axe with a smile. It wasn't something he was used to using for battle but he knew the feel of a good hatchet. Perfect.

FQz6uvl.png

"Alright then. Time to go. ... No, this is fine. Better than any alternatives."

The last bit was quietly mumbled under his breath, quiet enough that his new companions would only hear it if they were listening closely.

K-4, hatchet the soldier

Tekeshi himself caught the sword in midair, along with a vulnerary. After taking a second to inspect the sword, seemed pretty... Average, at best, he simply nodded, following the others out,

"Well, the sword could be better, but it could also be worse. Can't really complain. Let's just deal with the guards" Tekeshi commented, then began to move alongside Doran, keeping his sword hand, and general stance, relaxed despite the situation.

Move to J5 and wait for death something to happen.

Doran is showing his strength!

Doran has advantage!

Attack: (10+1-5 = 6) 

Hit: (89.5+15-5 = 99.5 -> 99) 

Crit: (7.5-1+10 = 16.5 -> 16)

Ignis: (4+1 = 5)

Doran attacks: 37 Hit (7 CRIT!) [5 Ignis Proc!]

Initate A is killed with a massive 21 damage!

(...)

Cheat Sheet:

Journeyman A: (20/20) (I2) Hatchet (35/35)
Journeyman B: (20/20) (C2) Hatchet (35/35)
Recruit A: (0/20) (K2) Slim Lance (35/35)
Recruit B: (20/20) (F5) Slim Lance (35/35)
Recruit C: (0/20) (K10) Slim Lance (35/35) (Droppable)
Initiate A: (18/18) (F7) Slim Sword (35/35)
Initiate B: (18/18) (C10) Slim Sword (35/35)
Superior Recruit: (24/24) (B6) Slim Lance (35.35)

Doran Kearn: (20/20) (K4) Hatchet (34/35) Vulnerary (3/3)
Mercadier: (18/18) (I8) Slim Lance (35/35) Vulnerary (3/3)
Tekeshi: (18/18) (J8) Slim Sword (35/35) Vulnerary (3/3)
Viola Sonnen: (17/17) (I9) Fire (40/40) Vulnerary (3/3)

???: (19/19) (J9) Bolo Knife -1 (40/40) Flux (39/40) Vulnerary (3/3) Lockpick (14/15)

EXP:
10/100

Doran raced forward, and flung out his axe at the enemy. As it released from his fingertips, he felt a familiar cold burning sensation trail down his arms and watched as the axe intertwined with curls of black energy. It thudded into the enemy guard's throat, the magic energy eagerly burrowing into the man, leaving him dying on the ground. Doran stared at it, eyes filled with anger as he angrily muttered,

FQz6uvl.png

"No, dammit! You said you'd leave me alone! Why are you still helping me do this?"

jSgGsTJ.png

"Been a long time since I've seen that type of technique..." Mercad muttered beneath his breath, far toolow for anyone not immediately adjacent to hear. There was more to the boy than there appeared, that much was obvious. Oh how much his little display had reminded him of one of Keiser's arrows, crackling with light, burning flesh and armor on impact like a miniature sun.... but now was not that time. 

So long had passed, since the day they entered this hell together. Too long. His body, it still recalled the fervor of combat, but it did not respond with the same speed and ferocity he'd grown accustomed to. Even now as he set foot out into the main corridor, his entire being felt... sluggish. Disconnected, almost. Beaten down, made weary by the hot sun and endless labor. Just as his mind had gone weary, as they fell around him, one by one... the fractures, the shatterpoints, the miniscule, exploitable flaws inherent in the world around him, they were harder to see now than ever. Even as he focused and his eyes glimmered a dark crimson, felt reality fall away... they still remained oh so aloof. The glimmer faded, and he scoffed, the disastifaction evident on his face.

Regardless of the state of his body and mind though, today, he would escape this hell. And though he was walking out alone in the physical sense, their memories drove him forward. 

What he lacked in the strength he once had, he could only make up for with the cold fire welling up in his chest. A fire that chilled him to his core, was all consuming with it's frigid presence. With the guards lance now in hand, he took his eyes off the boy and took a few steps more out into the hall, immediately fixing his sights on a swordsman down the way...and he uttered a single name, almost as if it were an affirmation.

7YQyExq.png

"Cecilia..."

J7, Hold

0bhveR1.png

She was slightly disappointed that her armor wasn't in the bag. Underneath the continuing terror, of course. She sidled out of the cell after the others, just in time to see the one man kill another guard with dark magic. She clutched the heavy tome to herself and hesitantly followed after the group, sticking to the back.

K7

[Enemy Phase]

Initiate A moves to I7 and Attacks Mercadier

Initiate A has advantage!

Initiate A

Attack: 4 (8-3-1)

Hit: 81 (106-10-15)

Crit: 5 (7.5-2)

Mercadier

Attack: 9 (10-2+1)
Hit: 111 (106-10+15)
Crit: 5 (7.5-2)

Initiate A attacks: 84 Miss!

Mercadier Counters: 20 Hit! (3 CRIT!)

Initiate A is defeated with a devastating 27 damage!

(...)

Recruit B moves to I5 and attacks Tekeshi

Recruit B has advantage!

Tekeshi will attack twice

Recruit B
Attack: 8 (9-2+1)
Hit: 89 (88.5-14+15)
Crit: 4 (6.5-2)

Tekeshi
Attack: 4 (9-5-1)
Hit: 87 (107-5-15)
Crit: 5 (9-1)

Sol: 8 (6+2)

Recruit B attacks: 71 Hit! (84)

Tekeshi takes 8 damage

Tekeshi Counters: 14 Hit! (96) [79]

Recruit B takes 4 damage

Tekeshi Finishes: 13 Hit! (61) [71]

Recruit B takes 4 damage

The guard runs up to Tekeshi stabbing him with his lance, however Tekeshi retaliates with two slashes of his own.

Journeyman A moves to I6 and attacks Mercadier

Journeyman A has advantage!

Journeyman A
Attack: 8 (10-3+1)
Hit: 92 (87.5-10+15)
Crit: 4 (6-2)

Mercadier
Attack: ---
Hit: ---
Crit: ---

Journeyman A attacks: 52 Hit! (86)

Mercadier takes 8 damage

The now awoken guard runs over to the Mercadier and throws his axe at him, it gashes her shoulder and returns back to him.

Journeyman B moves to D5

Initiate B moves to D7

[Ally Phase]

5ndolEO.png

"Expect reinforcements from the south. Others are bound to hear our skirmish." The hooded rogue spoke ignoring the boy's little show. He was surprised to see him be able produce energy like that, but without proper training... eh no point in worrying about it right now. He moves forward and attacks the guard with the lance.

??? moves to I7 and attacks Recruit B with Bolo Knife -1

??? will double

???
Attack: 7 (12-5)
Hit: 87 (89.5-5)
Crit: 5 (3.5-1)
Cancel: 12 (7+5)

Recruit B
Attack: ---
Hit: ---
Crit: ---

??? attacks: 34 Hit! (11) [98]

Recruit B takes 7 damage and is poisoned

??? finishes: 9 Hit! (100) [34]

Recruit B is defeated with 7 damage.

The rogue throws two knives at the soldier, one in his thigh and the other in his gut killing the weakened grunt.

[Player Phase]

2K4juK3.png

Map Theme Since I forgot to add it to the first post

Cheat Sheet:

Journeyman A: (20/20) (I6) Hatchet (34/35)
Journeyman B: (20/20) (D5) Hatchet (35/35)
Recruit B: (0/20) (I5) Slim Lance (34/35)
Initiate A: (0/18) (I7) Slim Sword (35/35)

Initiate B: (18/18) (D7) Slim Sword (35/35)
Superior Recruit: (24/24) (B6) Slim Lance (35/35)

Doran Kearn: (20/20) (K4) Hatchet (34/35) Vulnerary (3/3)
Mercadier: (10/18) (J7) Slim Lance (34/35) Vulnerary (3/3)
Tekeshi: (10/18) (J5) Slim Sword (33/35) Vulnerary (3/3)
Viola Sonnen: (17/17) (R7) Fire (40/40) Vulnerary (3/3)

EXP:
18/100

Doran

Attack: 7 (10-3) 

Hit: 84 (89.5-5) 

Crit: 6 (7.5-1)

Ignis: 5 (4+1)

Journeyman A
Attack: 7 (10-3)
Hit: 82 (87.5-5)
Crit: 5 (6-1)

Doran attacks: 95 Miss!

Journeyman A counters: 87 Miss!

Both men throw their axes and miss. A cricket chirp can be heard in the background

Cheat Sheet:

Journeyman A: (20/20) (I6) Hatchet (34/35)

Doran Kearn: (20/20) (H5) Hatchet (34/35) Vulnerary (3/3)
Tekeshi: (10/18) (J5) Slim Sword (33/35) Vulnerary (3/3)

EXP:
20/100

Tekeshi has advantage!

Tekeshi will double!

Tekeshi
Attack: 7 (9-3+1)
Hit: 117 (107-5+15)
Crit: 7 (8-1)

Sol: 8 (6+2)

Journeyman A
Attack: 7 (10-2-1)
Hit: 58.5 (87.5-14-15)
Crit: 4 (6+2) 

Tekeshi attacks: 80 Hit! (81) [14]

Journeyman A takes 7 damage

Journeyman A attacks: 40 Hit! (1 CRIT!)

Tekeshi is taken down with a devastating 21 damage!

Tekeshi runs up to the Axe man getting in a clean strike, however the Journeyman's eye seemingly glow red for a moment and he swings his hatchet into Tekeshi's chest with all his might sending him flying up in the air before landing face first onto the ground.

Cheat Sheet:

Journeyman A: (13/20) (I6) Hatchet (34/35)

Doran Kearn: (20/20) (H5) Hatchet (34/35) Vulnerary (3/3)
Tekeshi: (0/18) (I5) Slim Sword (33/35) Vulnerary (3/3) Downed (3/3)

EXP:
22/100

For a second, Tekeshi almost felt proud. His sword arm wasn't as bad as he thought, as he was still able to slip through the guard and get a solid hit in... However that moment of pride was short lived when Tekeshi noticed the axe suddenly swinging out... Right towards his chest.

"...Dammit" was all that Tekeshi was able to say before he was suddenly thrown off his feet, a good portion of his kimono getting torn from the axe's blade. Eventually, after a second of flying through the air, Tekeshi landed face first onto the ground, the rest of his body slamming onto the floor shortly afterwards.

In hindsight, he probably should've stayed in that cell.