Β 

==Archive==

Spoiler

Post #1 |Β Level Caps and Balancing -Β 10/1/2017 | 1/10/2017

Spoiler

Post #1 |Β Level Caps and Balancing

===

Β 

Okay, first thing! I'm sure it's no secret that the level 100 cap is slowly creeping up on us. It's something I've been concerned about

for quite a while. However, the Dev Team and I have come up with solutions to this problem. The Level Cap has new mechanicsΒ and I'd like to talk about them!

Β 

Passing the cap in the old system just made your Pokemon disobedient. This was something that didn't even work well because

half the time Pokemon would do what it was told anyway. There was basically no reason for the level cap to exist. In this new

system, passing the level cap isΒ not possible.Β The Level Cap is 20? No matter how many battles you do before breaking this cap,

no Pokemon will exceed level 20.

Β 

Huh? What's that? You've seen past my lie? Alright, fine. I don't want to limit people within the cap -too much-.Β 

Β 

Truth is, it's only half-impossible. Passing the level cap isn't possible... with Exp. You'll still be able to pass the cap through other means like Rare Candies. However, like before, Pokemon that go pass the cap will become disobedient. The only way to fix this

is to de-level them with Reverse Candies, or breaking the cap by obtaining a new badge. So that much hasn't changed.

Β 

That's pretty much it when it comes to the Level Cap, though. Muy simple. Game balance time!!

Β 

===

Β 

Ah, game balance... I don't particularly like doing this (At least for Pokemon games). I actually don't really care for it either.Β That's why two of my lovely Dev members,Β @AlexΒ andΒ @AzeriaΒ will be in charge of that from now on. Good. Take it.Β I don't want it. Probably for the best anyway. (I'll still be supervising things, of course.)

Β 

Because of theΒ Level Cap's new mechanics, we're able to do things that were not possible before. Previously I had to increase the cap from level 20 to level 30 after Venam because of the crazy amounts of gameplay between the first and second badge. However, since exp no longer matters after the cap is reached, I can bring the cap from level 30 to level 25.Β 

Β 

What does that mean? Well, it means all the levels after the second badge shall decrease byΒ 5.Β As a result, most players will most likely be overleveled by the time V10 rolls around. Don't worry, I will always look out and care for each and every one of you!!

I will be handing out 5 free Reverse Candies to compensate for the level decrease. Whether you actually want to use them or not

is up to you.

Β 

And finally!! Last thing! Because of all this... I can finally give trainers substance. I don't need to give trainers 1 or 2 Pokemon all the time. The possibilities are endless. More fun for me, probably means less fun for you. So I'll probably have to control what I actually do. Heh.

Β 

Teams will change. Chaos shall ensue. Rosters will rise in number. And the suffering shall continue.

Β 

Β 

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Veterans

bincho noobo you're stealing from jan's v9 thread aren't you. with the status bar and everything. smh :////

Β 

(good luck my dude)

Β 

((also you guys, please don't repeat the V9 thread and actuallyΒ stay on topic this time and don't post for the sake of posting to keep the thread alive, thanks))

I'm kinda conflicted on the status bar thing. On one hand I do enjoy glancing at it every now and then to see how far development has come but on the other hand, the people complaining about the bar not moving and slow development are extremely annoying. I might prefer just *POOF* new version out whenever it's done. Especially if it would lessen pressure on you and help you work better. Still, I respect your decision and am glad to see development is that far in already. Also that you have a dev team now, congrats.

Β 

I assume that ??? bar is the new thing you're going to talk about? I'll keep an eye out for it and good luck!

ohh all new fun and that to come anyways i'll say don't rush yourself jan and co remember tho we all looking for and update your health and lifes are more important then rushing to get v 10 done as zumi knows with her beautiful art work rush it and you'll mess up but take your time and you'll make good art (or games)Β 

Β 

@JanΒ Never expected you to open up the thread with such great statistics. Don't rush up anything man. Take all the time you need. That way we all will definitely see a masterpiece.

Woah, woah, woah. The Reborn E17 blog just wrapped up, and today was going to be my procrastination-free day since I had no more fangames to obsessively check on.Β Now you're hitting me withΒ this?Β 

I-I'll be fine. I've learned from my past mistakes and blunders of development blogs, and that people would be very nervous if they saw that this was 80% of my search history. I'm aΒ strong, independent--

Β 

fjafajnajgr.PNG.591ffc5f0671b75ebb6c11254eb41898.PNG

Β 

πŸ‘€πŸ‘€homework is for plebs and good students anywaysπŸ‘€

• Developers

nice to see a thread for this as im curious, but anyway what is the bar under story for?

Now, now... If I wanted everyone to know so soon, I wouldn't have marked it as "???". :]

Β 

Β 

12 hours ago, Nyarth said:

Woah, woah, woah. The Reborn E17 blog just wrapped up, and today was going to be my procrastination-free day since I had no more fangames to obsessively check on.Β Now you're hitting me withΒ this?Β 

I-I'll be fine. I've learned from my past mistakes and blunders of development blogs, and that people would be very nervous if they saw that this was 80% of my search history. I'm aΒ strong, independent--

Β 

fjafajnajgr.PNG.591ffc5f0671b75ebb6c11254eb41898.PNG

Β 

πŸ‘€πŸ‘€homework is for plebs and good students anywaysπŸ‘€

So am I a pleb? Or a good Student?

Β 

Β 

Edited by ShadeStrider

• Developers

Post #1 |Β Level Caps and Balancing

===

Β 

Okay, first thing! I'm sure it's no secret that the level 100 cap is slowly creeping up on us. It's something I've been concerned about

for quite a while. However, the Dev Team and I have come up with solutions to this problem. The Level Cap has new mechanicsΒ and I'd like to talk about them!

Β 

Passing the cap in the old system just made your Pokemon disobedient. This was something that didn't even work well because

half the time Pokemon would do what it was told anyway. There was basically no reason for the level cap to exist. In this new

system, passing the level cap is not possible.Β The Level Cap is 20? No matter how many battles you do before breaking this cap,

no Pokemon will exceed level 20.

Β 

Huh? What's that? You've seen past my lie? Alright, fine. I don't want to limit people within the cap -too much-.Β 

Β 

Truth is, it's only half-impossible. Passing the level cap isn't possible... with Exp. You'll still be able to pass the cap through other means like Rare Candies. However, like before, Pokemon that go pass the cap will become disobedient. The only way to fix this

is to de-level them with Reverse Candies, or breaking the cap by obtaining a new badge. So that much hasn't changed.

Β 

That's pretty much it when it comes to the Level Cap, though. Muy simple. Game balance time!!

Β 

===

Β 

Ah, game balance... I don't particularly like doing this (At least for Pokemon games). I actually don't really care for it either.Β That's why two of my lovely Dev members, @AlexΒ and @AzeriaΒ will be in charge of that from now on. Good. Take it.Β I don't want it. Probably for the best anyway. (I'll still be supervising things, of course.)

Β 

Because of theΒ Level Cap's new mechanics, we're able to do things that were not possible before. Previously I had to increase the cap from level 20 to level 30 after Venam because of the crazy amounts of gameplay between the first and second badge. However, since exp no longer matters after the cap is reached, I can bring the cap from level 30 to level 25.Β 

Β 

What does that mean? Well, it means all the levels after the second badge shall decrease by 5.Β As a result, most players will most likely be overleveled by the time V10 rolls around. Don't worry, I will always look out and care for each and every one of you!!

I will be handing out 5 free Reverse Candies to compensate for the level decrease. Whether you actually want to use them or not

is up to you.

Β 

And finally!! Last thing! Because of all this... I can finally give trainers substance. I don't need to give trainers 1 or 2 Pokemon all the time. The possibilities are endless. More fun for me, probably means less fun for you. So I'll probably have to control what I actually do. Heh.

Β 

Teams will change. Chaos shall ensue. Rosters will rise in number. And the suffering shall continue.

Β 

"In this new system, passing the level cap is not possible.Β The Level Cap is 20? No matter how many battles you do before breaking this cap,

no Pokemon will exceed level 20."

Β 

YES. THIS. I've been wondering for years why nobody has implemented this instead of the annoying Pokemon not listening to you bullshit. If all my mons are at the cap before I battle a gym leader, it's almost guaranteed that at least one will pass the cap and start disobeying me in the MIDDLE OF THE BATTLE. What sense does that make? And no more spamming reverse candies after every trainer battle either. Just yes.

I just assumed that since none of the fan games had this extremely obvious feature, it was just really difficult to implement but i'm glad someone is finally doing it. I hope the developers of other fan games will follow suit.

Thank you for this!Β I still have nightmares of how many tries it took me for the mansion boss-rush battle in Reborn, since it ended up coming down to whether I wanted to start the battle underlevelled and get pummeled, or be at your usual level and lose turns due to the Pokemon not obeying you.Β 

@GheistΒ  Reborn Hardcore also uses this kind of level cap system, so it's not wholly new.

Β 

Β 

Well, I already can't quote people in this thread, which might make things a little trickier to reply to (assuming it's not just me).

Love the best of both worlds mentality to the level cap -- On one hand, it's a lot easier to level more than 6 mon's up to the level cap especially if Jan is indeed upping the amount of trainers / pkmn per trainer, so overall it's a good thing.

Β 

Yet, it still has a solution for cases like the annoying Level 35 dilemmaΒ (I'm mainly thinking about Reborn Monotypes here because of Shelly), but basically when your starter (not named Ivysaur/Bayleef/Croconaw/Grotle)Β is sitting pretty at level 35 and you're stuck with it in second stage for a hard fight. Since the rare candyΒ is, well,Β rare,Β it makes you really consider whether using it is necessary for the fight or whether you can workaround somehow.Β 

Β 

Anyways, love this change a ton :]

Β 

As for the blog, I mean, Insurgence and Uranium churned out without percent bars and people still love them, so don't feel super pressured Jan. Your content continues to be amazing regardless so don't let that bit tie you up too much!

• Global Mods

Imo this cap system works much better. Also in regards to balance, I felt as if some significant fights were made easier in V9 compared to V8. Is this intentional, with normal becoming more forgiving and the proper challenge moving to intense, or was it somewhat unintentional and they'll be picked up again in future if they're a bit soft?

@Felcatty

Β 

I don't know how this quote system works or whether it's still broken but whatever. I tend to stay away from fan games not on the Reborn forums since this is my quality check and they tend to be pretty bad from my experience. But Apex does look somewhat interesting so I might check it out regardless.

Β 

On a different, I had no idea that Reborn hardcore had this level cap system already implemented. If you ask me, this feature actually makes the game easier since my mons won't level up mid battle so I'd suggest either implementing it globally or perhaps make it a toggleable option like the battle set/switch. Or at least something you can select at the start of the game. The current system is mostly annoying rather than an actual hindrance.

While we're at it, I also want max repels in the first shop and they should cost 1$ because absolutely nothing is added to the game by making you run from 50000 wild Pokemon when you have no interest in battling them anyway. Or even better, a nice key item that you can turn on/off and it's just a permanent repel.

Β 

so jan if we cant go over the cap dose that mean you will reajust the caps for each badge? and will that also mean that those that have completed the current episode will have a higher cap to work with? either that or all out mon's will be about 25-30 levels too high

Edited by sandy

the level difference betweenΒ  venam and ketta is 20 and our current cap is 80 so the drop in the cap next episode will be bigger than 10 i believe.

Β 

Β 

Edited by sandy