Worst Gym Leaders (NOT Least Favorite)

Filthy Casual

The topic is simple: who do you think is the worst gym leader in the main series? This isn't necessarily a "least favorite" list, but just who you think is the worst at their jobs. Here is who I have (in no particular order):

Spoiler

Falkner: He has two Pokemon on his team: a Pidgey and a Pidgeotto. They both go down without a problem, and if you have a Chikorita, you could always trade away a Bellsprout for an Onix. However, that's not why I put him on this list. He's here because, unlike Brock, those Pokemon he fights you with aren't even his. They belong to his father.

Volkner: Now before some of you decide to murder me, I'm not talking about Platinum Volkner. I think he's fine (even if the moodiness applies). I'm talking about Volkner from Diamond/Pearl. His team consists of a Raichu, Octillery, Ambipom, and Luxray. I get that there weren't many electric types available, and that the gym twists your expectations, but the reality is they could have done so much better for him! They could have given him a Magnezone, Jolteon, or Electivire. In fact, in Platinum, he does get Jolteon and Electivire!

Cilan, Chili, and Cress: I put them on the list because they aren't that hard. You get the one monkey corresponding to their weakness and you win. They're also the only leaders who don't even make it to Team Plasma's headquarters. To their credit, though, they see this, and quit in order to become stronger. It's at least a nice moment of character.

Marlon: Marlon is one of the worst choices they could have had for a final gym leader. He's the water type leader, and his team is a Wailord, Mantine, Carracosta, and Jellicent. If you think that's not so bad bad, then let me remind you I only gave you the challenge mode team. In regular mode, he loses Mantine and gets really bad sets for all of his Pokemon. Worst of all, he doesn't do anything about Team Plasma, who's clearly evil after freezing Drayden's city! In fact, he tries to throw some philosophical nonsense on the player, asking if what they're doing is truly the right thing.

Hey, dumbass: you should have asked that seven gyms ago!

Olympia: Truth be told, all of the X/Y leaders could be on this list, as they don't do too much to stop Team Flare. However, I decided to single out Olympia because of her crappy team. She's only got a Sigilyph, Slowking, and her ace of a Meowstic...

...wow.

The above is only my opinion, of course, and I'd love to hear yours down below.

Edited by Filthy Casual

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly think Clair is the worst Gym Leader. She's so full of herself that she can't believe she could ever lose which makes no sense since there are so many trainers on victory road that have beaten her. Then she decides that you aren't worthy of her badge unless you complete a trial that even she hasn't passed. Then she has the audacity to whine about how it isn't fair that you completed said trial when she could not and she has to be talked down to by the elder before you can get the badge that you rightfully deserve. And her team. It's uncreative but she was the first dragon gym leader and they don't have much to work with, especially in that gen. And in the rematches, she basically copies Lance's team albeit the Kingdra. Just a disappointing leader. 

Edited by Youmu9