Monotype suggestions

ssbCasper

Mmm... maybe you could try a "no dual types" run?

I don't think there are many (if any) of those around and I'm not sure if it would even pose enough of a challenge to be interesting, but since you're asking for ideas... :P

Edited by Waynolt

I'd say you have a couple possibilities. I'm not a 'monorun expert' at all so take my advices with a grain of salt.

1. You can go for one of the 'easiest' types to mono with. Poison and Dark come to mind as they both let you build full teams rather early, give you access to very potent mons (specifically in Reborn) and both types have few relevant weaknesses. Poison will be relatively easy to work with until at least Radomus. Dark is a bit trickier (Shelly and Kiki) but still doable.

2. You can go for one of your personal favorite types. They are nice to work with because you like them in the first place, so creating strategies to overcome their weaknesses shouldn't be a chore.

Of course the different monos that are actually doable depend on whether you're willing to 'cheat' by trading mons into your game, or use unreleased mons, or use a mod to make HMs redundant etc.

If you want to stay perfectly 'legal', as in doing your run only with what the game gives you, then your options will be limited.

Ice is amazing type, a lot of weakness but strong in attack, I did a mono Ice and loved it, I would recomend using a pickup mon to get an ice cream and then you can have ice types right after julia. There where a lot of dificult times but it was doable and some where pretty easy even without type advantage.

An electric run would be interesting too, there arent many electric dual types so you would be a little limited. All in all I would say use a type you like or choose a pokemon you love and use his type

8 hours ago, ssbCasper said:

What type should I mono-run and why? 

I'd suggest to try one that is possible to do without "cheating", which means having to trade pokemon in due to the lack of them early in game.

Bug, Poison, Grass, Water and Ground are in this category.

For something easier, you can use Poison, which is really solid early and it only gets easier as it goes. Water is tough at start, but gets easier as it goes too.

Bug is somewhat more challenging, because (let's be honest), their stats are low and you'll almost never be able to just brute force your way through a battle.

In conclusion, it all comes down to what you like! Find the type you like, and the one that reflects your playstyle the most (e.g. Fire for hyper-offensive style, Poison or Grass for defensive/stalling-oriented teams) and have fun! :) 

I did a mono-normal run (ab)using rainbow field, and it was really fun. I had Castform to set rain/sun for the rainbow field, Porygon (and later porygon 2) with charge beam and tri-attack, Audino as a wall and pivot, Exploud as a special attacker, Loppuny to baton pass cosmic powers, and Cincinno for a physical attacker and coverage. There are plenty of other options as well, such belly drum Linoone, Persian (technician fake out), Heliolisk/Pyroar, and the plethora of normal/flying types.

17 hours ago, fyfsixseven said:

I did a mono-normal run (ab)using rainbow field, and it was really fun. I had Castform to set rain/sun for the rainbow field, Porygon (and later porygon 2) with charge beam and tri-attack, Audino as a wall and pivot, Exploud as a special attacker, Loppuny to baton pass cosmic powers, and Cincinno for a physical attacker and coverage. There are plenty of other options as well, such belly drum Linoone, Persian (technician fake out), Heliolisk/Pyroar, and the plethora of normal/flying types.

And of course, any Normal type that learns Sonicboom.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2017 at 4:09 PM, ssbCasper said:

I have successfully completed Bug and Poison. Since they are abundant (many are available right after getting your starter-Poison even has a starter-Bulbasaur) and give you a lot of options and strategies, I'd suggest them. Also, with those types, you don't have to "cheat" and get 'mons traded in, as you'd have to do with Ice or Dragon, to give specific examples.

Bug is harder. Poison is easier.

But Bug needs more thinking, which I personally enjoy. Poison is more straightforward when it comes to overpowering your opponents.

Edit: MFW I realize I had already answered in this topic a few posts higher xD 

Edited by Jess

On 21/09/2017 at 3:09 PM, ssbCasper said:

You can also do a ground mono. It might be a bit difficult at the beginning, as there aren't that many ground types yet, but once you gain access to the cave under the grand stairway, you have a lot to choose from

Pretty much what Wolfox said: Whatever your favorite type is should be your first Monotype run.

Personally, I can recommend the two I've run: Ice and Water. Ice is a bit rougher early-game while Water has some snags later-game, I've noticed. But, of the two, my Ice Mono is much more personal and liked.

However, again, do the one you like the most.